Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Knobb Manwich posted:

Oh poo poo I'm not expecting continuous support for game 3? gently caress. Well, thanks for letting me know.

I mean I bought Warhammer 2 expecting something close to Warhammer 1 level of support, and now I'm honestly considering waiting several months to a year to buy Warhammer 3, since my expectations have taken quite a beating after the second game.

This thread has been going weird places lately.

quote:

I would just really like to know why they chose to release two historical titles in one year while slowing down the release schedule for the more popular Warhammer games. People have already mentioned that TWW2 is beating throb's player numbers, and it'll be interesting to see how three kingdoms compares after the TWW2 playerbase has more time to decay. It feels like it would have made more sense just to go all in with one big historical title separated by a few months from TWW2 dlc or something.

I also have to wonder if TWW2 being deprived of a consistent dlc release schedule is going to harm sales for the third game, considering people aren't going in with the expectation of continuous support for the game after release.

To give you a real answer, it's because CA knew for a fact that most of the historical diehards had completely tuned them out after about two years of straight warhammer releases/news, so they wanted a way to try and suck them back into their orbit to advertise three kingdoms better.

Thrones and the Rome 2 DLC make them a little bit of revenue but it's mostly about catering to the historical fanbase and keeping them interested. Now whether or not any of that is actually effective or a good idea is debatable, but marketing lives in it's own universe.

madmac fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Buy the game for the game you get, not the magical game that will come later or not at all

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

madmac posted:

I mean I bought Warhammer 2 expecting something close to Warhammer 1 level of support, and now I'm honestly considering waiting several months to a year to buy Warhammer 3, since my expectations have taken quite a beating after the second game.

This thread has been going weird places lately.

To give you a real answer, it's because CA knew for a fact that most of the historical diehards had completely tuned them out after about two years of straight warhammer releases/news, so they wanted a way to try and suck them back into their orbit to advertise three kingdoms better.

Thrones and the Rome 2 DLC make them a little bit of revenue but it's mostly about catering to the historical fanbase and keeping them interested. Now whether or not any of that is actually effective or a good idea is debatable, but marketing lives in it's own universe.

The rome 2 dlc was literally a tutorial mission for the new bulgarian team. They got their feet wet making TW content withouth getting thrust straight into a major release.

Setting them on Norsca or whatever would be a mistake (and difficult to coordinate) because the whole point is for them to be an independent team making content without direct oversight.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 13, 2018

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The rome 2 dlc was literally a tutorial mission for the new bulgarian team. They got their feet wet making TW content withouth getting thrust straight into a major release.

That too naturally, but the decision to put out Rome 2 DLC was made well before the Bulgarian team was brought on board.

Edit: For sure, I didn't mean to imply it was a misuse of resources or that CA should have put more people on Norsca. Just that it looks like a pretty linear decision process. CA decided to make Rome 2 DLC-needed more manpower-Buying a small independent studio lets them put out relatively simple content at a lower price-point-Sofia.

madmac fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 13, 2018

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

madmac posted:

That too naturally, but the decision to put out Rome 2 DLC was made well before the Bulgarian team was brought on board.

where can i read this internal decision and strategy stuff online?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Plavski posted:

where can i read this internal decision and strategy stuff online?

CA was publicly talking about putting out more Rome2 dlc since forever ago, a long time before they bought Sofia. Unless you think they just bought a Bulgarian studio on a whim and then had a meeting to decide what they were going to do with them.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Knobb Manwich posted:

Oh poo poo I'm not expecting continuous support for game 3? gently caress. Well, thanks for letting me know.

Why would you expect timely support for game three given how they've treated TWW2? If they're willing to sacrifice development of their new franchise to try and reel the historical only crowd back in, why wouldn't you expext them to do it again?

Even if Norsca hadn't had severe issues, the dlc schedule still would have been substantially slower than the first game given the need to allocate people to work on ThroB and Three Kingdoms, and then the marketing breathing room for those games once they come out.

Do you really think people (including you) are going to be as willing to buy on release if they don't expect CA to.support the game well? Forget DLC, even highly visible bugs like autp resolve still haven't been address serveral months after release, why would you expect anything different for the next game?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
if only CA could respec their points so they dont lock themselves out of the "WH support" skill by picking the "historical support" skill

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Chaos was so loving cool and diverse for most of tabletop Hams’ run, it was only 7th and 8th where they got lame. I would legit pay like 50 bucks for a dlc that dove into earlier army books and represented all the crazy subfactions and the wacky conversions the GW guys came up with. And mixed warrior/beastman/daemon armies dammit. All three of those factions feel like lame rosters because they were never intended to be separate and they were never intended to be homogenized. Especially warriors. I want that nurgle grim reaper lord or the tzeentch man with two melty faces, not just Black Armour Muscle Man over and over.

Like why is Sigvald’s army just more of the same? He should have an army of nimble prettyboy chaos warriors straight out of 300, and a hermaphroditic daemon harem, and a lieutenant who rides a tittysnake.

Wasn't Chaos allowed to field Chaos Space Marines in a limited number (at least in fluff), back when the world was supposed to exist in the centre of the Eye of Terror? And the Lizardmen desperately having to cover up for these anachronistic things dropping from Space?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

In awe that the comment about CA having limited staff working on too many projects was posted immediately after the post complaining about CA hiring additional staff to work on new projects.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Angrymantium posted:

Do you really think people (including you) are going to be as willing to buy on release if they don't expect CA to.support the game well? Forget DLC, even highly visible bugs like autp resolve still haven't been address serveral months after release, why would you expect anything different for the next game?

both TW:WH games are fun as poo poo and i'm buying the third one even if norsca is the last piece of DLC for the second, i don't know what you're all on about. i've had over a hundred hours of fun in this one and that's probably on the low side for this thread, you bet your rear end i'm buying more of that

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

i am going to buy warhams 3 because warhams 1 and 2 were great

this is not going to be a super unique attitude

Plavski fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 13, 2018

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'm patient and expect Warhammer 2 will eventually be great, but yeah I'm cautious to say the least.

I really enjoyed the rigid almost gameboardy aspect of TW1. TW2 lost that with climate/conquer anywhere, and I find I haven't really enjoyed it very much because of that. The various climate mods really haven't fixed these issues.

ME was the big thing I bought WH2 for and it's a disappointment again largely because of climate. The maps size also means 90% of the time everything just becomes a brawl super quickly. Like I'm glad people who come to TW for map painting are satisfied, but as someone who came here for the background/setting/everything else it feels like a mess.

I enjoyed the Vortex campaign for WH2, especially after I modded it, and I'll likely enjoy it further after all the races/options are in. But if TK really is the last faction for Vortex, or we only get 1-2 DLC packs and then suddenly WH3 is announced I'll be annoyed by it. I feel like I got my money worth, but I think I can still feel as though they haven't done enough to support it.

WH3 to me would have to do a lot to get me to buy it. But to their credit, it was already at that point well before this WH2 disaster stuff. Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Dwarfs, and 2 more Chaos Invasions to deal with has never sounded like a good $60 sell. Just the Darklands getting put on has never sounded like a great sell at $60. Even at my most hype for WH2 I was arguing that CA was going to have an uphill battle selling me WH3, and this all just makes that considerably worse.

Like we got Plavski above me comparing one of the most influential shooters of all time to basically a 4pack race DLC that includes 4 of the least favored races in the setting. It's not going to be very difficult to skip out on "do you want more Chaos Invasions? Trust us, we made them better this time.".

Now this could all be moot, and instead CA could show us all off and pop out with Cathay being added, and the ME map getting expanded back to full Vortex, and Climate becoming a toggle in the new starter options menu that they've picked up from Paradox style games, and they've fully gone through and made all the TW2 races nonClimate compatible and we've added naval combat, and.......

But if WH3 is literally just "Vortex style campaign in the Darklands. 4 New Races, Chaos Dwarves, Ogre Kingdoms ( not even in MoM/barely in MoM ), Chaos Demons, and Kislev!" I'm not going to buy that at $60, and that has little to do with how poorly they've handled WH2, and more to do with how lovely of a sell that is at full $60. And I don't think that has anything to do with how much I enjoyed WH1 ( a loving lot ), or WH2 ( a good amount, just semi disappointed. ).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am glad I am not the only one who was miffed on regional occupation being replaced by climate.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Rookersh posted:

I'm patient and expect Warhammer 2 will eventually be great, but yeah I'm cautious to say the least.

I really enjoyed the rigid almost gameboardy aspect of TW1. TW2 lost that with climate/conquer anywhere, and I find I haven't really enjoyed it very much because of that. The various climate mods really haven't fixed these issues.

ME was the big thing I bought WH2 for and it's a disappointment again largely because of climate. The maps size also means 90% of the time everything just becomes a brawl super quickly. Like I'm glad people who come to TW for map painting are satisfied, but as someone who came here for the background/setting/everything else it feels like a mess.

I enjoyed the Vortex campaign for WH2, especially after I modded it, and I'll likely enjoy it further after all the races/options are in. But if TK really is the last faction for Vortex, or we only get 1-2 DLC packs and then suddenly WH3 is announced I'll be annoyed by it. I feel like I got my money worth, but I think I can still feel as though they haven't done enough to support it.

WH3 to me would have to do a lot to get me to buy it. But to their credit, it was already at that point well before this WH2 disaster stuff. Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Dwarfs, and 2 more Chaos Invasions to deal with has never sounded like a good $60 sell. Just the Darklands getting put on has never sounded like a great sell at $60. Even at my most hype for WH2 I was arguing that CA was going to have an uphill battle selling me WH3, and this all just makes that considerably worse.

Like we got Plavski above me comparing one of the most influential shooters of all time to basically a 4pack race DLC that includes 4 of the least favored races in the setting. It's not going to be very difficult to skip out on "do you want more Chaos Invasions? Trust us, we made them better this time.".

Now this could all be moot, and instead CA could show us all off and pop out with Cathay being added, and the ME map getting expanded back to full Vortex, and Climate becoming a toggle in the new starter options menu that they've picked up from Paradox style games, and they've fully gone through and made all the TW2 races nonClimate compatible and we've added naval combat, and.......

But if WH3 is literally just "Vortex style campaign in the Darklands. 4 New Races, Chaos Dwarves, Ogre Kingdoms ( not even in MoM/barely in MoM ), Chaos Demons, and Kislev!" I'm not going to buy that at $60, and that has little to do with how poorly they've handled WH2, and more to do with how lovely of a sell that is at full $60. And I don't think that has anything to do with how much I enjoyed WH1 ( a loving lot ), or WH2 ( a good amount, just semi disappointed. ).

Yeah, even before Warhammer 2 was announced I always felt that "Warhammer, Darklands: More Chaos!" was going to be a hard sell, and even more so now with Mortal Empires being kinda the weakest of the three Warhammer Grand campaigns we've gotten so far.

Also not a big of fan of climate over regional occupation.

If Warhammer 2 ends up lacking in DLC/FLC in the end, I think I'll be especially annoyed because there's so much room for cool, non-canon stuff to be added in the new world and Mortal Empires. Gimme Dogs of War, Vampire Coast, Amazons, Araby, I'll take all of it.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
I am broken on the inside after Warhammer total the wars, wars without end, hammers without end, Hams without end.

Of course i will buy the third entry into this never ending maelstrom of Chaos ( :smug:) that is the HAMS.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
poster: this mistake that creative assembly made makes me not want to play the game.
extremely normal guy: you need to seek mental loving help for you stupid idiot brain.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

i think we're just in a content drought and are cannibalizing each other out of boredom

all these disagreements will be lost as soon as the next shiny object is placed in front of us

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If that shiny object doesn't walk up to the dudes they're trying to shoot at from a distance I will feel a lot better.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I just wish I had more time to play total war games

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I dunno Warhammer 2 is the best TW game ever made which replaced WH1 as the best TW game ever made which replaced R2/S2 as the best TW ever made

And it's going to get better with Norsca patch (Seafang cast with directional :o:) and whatever DLC they choose to make

So I'm pretty content
I don't even mind the long turn times as I just alt tab and do Internet poo poo while it runs

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Question: does bonus vs large on ranged units add accuracy the same way it adds melee skill on melee units?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I'm still totally gonna buy warhammer 3, but I probably won't buy it on release. I appreciate people felt like they got their money's worth from WH2, but I didn't. What I liked most about WH1 was the crazy variety in factions and playstyle. I don't feel like I've gotten that from WH2 so far (ME excepted but that has its own problems). It'll probably get there, but I may as well wait for it to get there next time.

I bought WH1 and its DLC pretty late into its lifecycle though so I assume that heavily influences my opinion.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

jokes posted:

If that shiny object doesn't walk up to the dudes they're trying to shoot at from a distance I will feel a lot better.

I'm pretty confident they can resolve that specific issue as it was apparently added in as an "improvement" originally. (The units are trying to reposition themselves so they have LOS to fire and well that tells you how hard it is to get LOS anymore.)

The bigger issue is that LOS is all kinds of broken in Warhammer 2, so fixing the walk up issue is still going to result in those units just standing around not firing a large percentage of the time.

Hopefully they'll be able to ease that issue also, but I'm skeptical. It's weird the degree CA broke the balance between arcing and direct fire units in WH2, they simultaneously improved arcing shot so archers can fire into melee easily while making direct fire even harder to manage for multiple reasons.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Question: does bonus vs large on ranged units add accuracy the same way it adds melee skill on melee units?

Pretty sure it does this for neither. Bonus vs large just does the value listed as extra damage to large units. It does the same ratio of regular and ap damage as the base damage value ie

Regular damage 15
Armor piercing damage 30
Bonus vs large 15

Vs large units, you now deal 20 regular damage and 40 armor piercing damage. This is the same for ranged units.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Pretty sure it does this for neither. Bonus vs large just does the value listed as extra damage to large units. It does the same ratio of regular and ap damage as the base damage value ie

Regular damage 15
Armor piercing damage 30
Bonus vs large 15

Vs large units, you now deal 20 regular damage and 40 armor piercing damage. This is the same for ranged units.

Bonus vs Large does add to melee attack.

For ranged units yeah, just extra damage.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Its pretty disingenuous since the bonus to melee attack is unlisted. So +15 Bonus vs Large will add that mount to both damage and melee attack.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mukip posted:

Its pretty disingenuous since the bonus to melee attack is unlisted. So +15 Bonus vs Large will add that mount to both damage and melee attack.

That's what I'm wondering. Ballista has a bonus to large, but it's so small compared to it's normal damage, it's not really that great. I just assumed it would be more accurate to hit like dragons and stuff, making it a perfect niche for dealing with monsters, but not as great as cannons against cavalry.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Angrymantium posted:

Why would you expect timely support for game three given how they've treated TWW2? If they're willing to sacrifice development of their new franchise to try and reel the historical only crowd back in, why wouldn't you expext them to do it again?

Even if Norsca hadn't had severe issues, the dlc schedule still would have been substantially slower than the first game given the need to allocate people to work on ThroB and Three Kingdoms, and then the marketing breathing room for those games once they come out.

Spoiler I'm not planning on buying game 3 at all, and that's nothing to do with patches/DLC schedules. I only played 40 hours of game 2, (lmao only 40 hours), but I feel like I didn't really squeeze much value out of it unlike game 1. I got TK on release and played about 5 minutes before shelving it. I was looking forward to Mortal Empires most of all and I've never actually booted it up, I was originally waiting for it, then the lord skills rework for game 1 factions, now I couldn't care. I feel like I'm waiting for Norsca for game 2 because I never played it in game 1, but honestly when it drops I still probably won't play.

I don't expect different for game 3. I expect the same performance as before until they prove different. I'm not upset at all about this. Even if I was super looking forward to game 3 I'd still wait and evaluate the game on release and buy it/not buy it based on how it is then, not how I think it might be after a bunch of patches and DLC.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
It seems like we're going to get two significant DLCs at once this month, Norsca and the HE/DE Lord pack. There'll also be a patch and it seems like they reworked the Dwarf faction with a new starting position, new Slayer unit and a crafting system adapted from the Tomb Kings + a rework of the Skaven food system. And while there were a lot of annoying bugs when TW2, they did work on a lot of that stuff over time and they promised some more bug fixes this patch.

Nonetheless, there have been several significant waiting periods with this title where I stopped playing in expectation of a future feature, and that did cause my interest to dwindle.

I agree that I'm more interested in design improvements to the game more so than "content". This game adds up to a lot of money when you factor in all the DLC, so it makes a lot of sense to set a cut-off point for when you stop enjoying the game as much. In fact, unless you are actively interested in a certain faction DLC it makes sense to skip it and TW3 does run the serious risk of being a glorified faction DLC.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 14, 2018

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

Ammanas posted:

I dunno Warhammer 2 is the best TW game ever made which replaced WH1 as the best TW game ever made which replaced R2/S2 as the best TW ever made

And it's going to get better with Norsca patch (Seafang cast with directional :o:) and whatever DLC they choose to make

So I'm pretty content
I don't even mind the long turn times as I just alt tab and do Internet poo poo while it runs

Turn times and load times are fine for me. My main gripe is the chunky performance on the campaign map.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've already got 500 hours in this game, and I can see myself going for another 500 (like I did with WH1) once the Norsca update and Skryre DLC drop. Mods do a lot for the longevity of the game: the Region Trading mod I posted a while back has gotten a version that straight up removes restrictions on who you can trade with, so that solves stuff I get stupidly hung up on like Bretonnia ganking northern Empire provinces, minor dwarfs having the most bizarre prioritization for taking provinces, etc.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Knobb Manwich posted:

Spoiler I'm not planning on buying game 3 at all, and that's nothing to do with patches/DLC schedules.

are we reduced to just bragging about not playing games in threads now

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The greatest outrage about TW:W is that they still haven't given us dwarf engineer a cannon/gyrobomber mount. It's pretty much the most obvious and fun way to make the engie useful for more than just the buffs. Who the gently caress is running this shitshow!?

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

madmac posted:

I'm pretty confident they can resolve that specific issue as it was apparently added in as an "improvement" originally. (The units are trying to reposition themselves so they have LOS to fire and well that tells you how hard it is to get LOS anymore.)

The bigger issue is that LOS is all kinds of broken in Warhammer 2, so fixing the walk up issue is still going to result in those units just standing around not firing a large percentage

As far as I can tell the issue is that the units find LOS by targeting the centre of the target. If they can't see it, either from terrain or from blocking, they won't fire and if they are ordered to they will march on up. In WH1 this did not happen and gunners in particular would target and fire on the sides of units where the target was semi visible.
This has been one of the biggest annoyances of playing as empire or dwarves in WH2.

I presume they did this to help artillery target centre of mass and it doesn't affect archers so much as flat trajectory weapons, so it's only notable when playing ME, which is why it's taken this long to fix.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Periphery posted:

The greatest outrage about TW:W is that they still haven't given us dwarf engineer a cannon/gyrobomber mount. It's pretty much the most obvious and fun way to make the engie useful for more than just the buffs. Who the gently caress is running this shitshow!?

Also not giving Goblin Shamans their Arachnarok mounts from tabletop.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Knobb Manwich posted:

Spoiler I'm not planning on buying game 3 at all, and that's nothing to do with patches/DLC schedules. I only played 40 hours of game 2, (lmao only 40 hours), but I feel like I didn't really squeeze much value out of it unlike game 1. I got TK on release and played about 5 minutes before shelving it. I was looking forward to Mortal Empires most of all and I've never actually booted it up, I was originally waiting for it, then the lord skills rework for game 1 factions, now I couldn't care. I feel like I'm waiting for Norsca for game 2 because I never played it in game 1, but honestly when it drops I still probably won't play.

I don't expect different for game 3. I expect the same performance as before until they prove different. I'm not upset at all about this. Even if I was super looking forward to game 3 I'd still wait and evaluate the game on release and buy it/not buy it based on how it is then, not how I think it might be after a bunch of patches and DLC.

So you played 1 turn off TK and didn’t even try ME. I guess you spent more effort on this post than the game.

I kinda like the slow DLC theme since I am not a turbosperg that had time to finish all the campaigns the week on release. Or to put it like this, let me give you money CA.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Cardiac posted:

So you played 1 turn off TK and didn’t even try ME. I guess you spent more effort on this post than the game.

Actually yes I spent 41 hours crafting that post.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Knobb Manwich posted:

to be honest i'm disappointed at the lack of DLC support for that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Knobb Manwich posted:

And it still has bugs :smithicide: