Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

So now you add in the LTI thing, which is "Lifetime Insurance", which CIG currently has no idea how to implement.

Dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Hey Tophat, I sung your praises on Goontube, but I was really drunk and now I'm afraid to go back in case I posted poo poo that would be more stupid than usual.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Is that even possible?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

Is that even possible?

Check in some time.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

SoftNum posted:

I realize here that nobody ITT knows about games development; but the state of game development tools is frankly at an insane place compared to 1998.

I worked with Lith 1.x in 200x. It was an engine. Which meant that at the time it handled 3d hooks for you to render poo poo on the screen. You had to do EVERYTHING else.

Now you could go, download UE4, open it up. Turn off gravity, put some ship models in and basically have a single player representation of Star Citizen in a matter of hours if you were proficient in the tool, and probably a week from bare scratch.

Not _quite_ that fast but a month of work for a 3 person team would do it, assuming preexisting animated assets. Without those, you are looking to at least an animator on top of the team and maybe an extra two weeks© unless you are a team that already knows how to organize game projects.

Still nowhere near a year, let alone five.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Thoatse posted:

fidelity af

landing succssfl

Tony Hawk's Pro Spaceboats when?

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Bofast posted:

Norse mythology isn't exactly the most interesting thing in the world to begin with, if you ask me.

1v1 you at the sun when the game releases. :colbert:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Meridian posted:

Hey Tophat, I sung your praises on Goontube, but I was really drunk and now I'm afraid to go back in case I posted poo poo that would be more stupid than usual.

Do not worry. Fat is a yellowname. You are absolutely fine posting whatever you please in whatever daft fashion you please.

Better to just post than to ask permission.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Mr.Tophat posted:

Do not worry. Fat is a yellowname. You are absolutely fine posting whatever you please in whatever daft fashion you please.

Better to just post than to ask permission.

A good policy. Free Tophat should be a gang tag.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Meridian posted:

Nothing for the 42 commando? Dumb again Gooniflas.

I liked it, but it would have been better if you were level 69, then it would have been nice

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Meridian posted:

A good policy. Free Tophat should be a gang tag.

I imagine it being called out as one might, "Extra extra, read all about it" while waving a literally free tophat

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

"Yes, it has NOT been decided or ironed out, yet. He's talking about ideas we're still exploring, not a definitive design that's being developed and implemented, which both Kirk says and I reiterate immediately afterward. =)"

oh boi, disco in full damage control mode

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8jf952/star_citizen_calling_all_devs_parties_scans_cargo/

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AutismVaccine posted:

"Yes, it has NOT been decided or ironed out, yet. He's talking about ideas we're still exploring, not a definitive design that's being developed and implemented, which both Kirk says and I reiterate immediately afterward. =)"

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8jf952/star_citizen_calling_all_devs_parties_scans_cargo/

good thing development only just started

something major like this still being decided in year 6 would be a huge red flag

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Schrödinger's Citizen: You are hosed if you do anything

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Citizens wouldnt see red flags, even if you beat them with one

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AutismVaccine posted:

Oh, I guess it's okay!

Wonder why CIG keeps reworking stuff over and over though :thunk:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Daztek posted:

Oh, I guess it's okay!

You only do work when things need to be done, and planning never needs to be done.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Never releasing or even deciding on the scope of a product is a cornerstone of agile development

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Is this game real yet?

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
As suspected, they make it up as they go along.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

McGiggins posted:

Is this game real yet?

That depends on your definition of 'game', 'real', 'this' and 'yet'.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

ModernSociety posted:

That depends on your definition of 'game', 'real', 'this' and 'yet'.
early days

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Chalks posted:

You only do work when things need to be done, and planning never needs to be done.

We call this "Business Agile", in which you ignore almost all of the actual Agile concept and mainly focus solely on the idea that no planning needs to be done and any given manager can have his whims realized without worrying about accountability. It sounds like a perfect fit for Chris.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dooguk posted:

As suspected, they make it up as they go along.

It’s like Disco always says, CIG is not afraid of the better idea......giving Chris that freedom is part of the reason why he backed the game in the first place...

As it turns out, the better idea usually involves screwing the community out of even more of their money and giving them a big fat raspberry if they dare cry foul, but that’s how game development works when you’re free of publisher compromises and greed...

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Slow_Moe posted:

I liked it, but it would have been better if you were level 69, then it would have been nice

Don't worry, friend. I'm getting there.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Daztek posted:

Oh, I guess it's okay!

We never waste work by doing things that don't need to be done!

refactors IFCS from scratch for the 10th time

guess all that "you don't understand game development" really was projection all along, whoda thunk

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Meridian posted:

B'tak quietly clips though his bed, emerging into a familiar, yet still painfully daunting bed chamber. A thousand times he had been here, yes, but there was always the ever present threat of the OTHER. B'tak relished the long, 10 fps jerk it took him to reach his locker, knowing that he'd have ample time to quickly unplug his router were he to encounter another Citizen.

After a laborious few minutes of equipping himself, B'tak couldn't help but to feel naked, which is natural considering 90% of his equipment wasn't modeled, and he now wandered about the desolate station as a half ghost man. All in all, this was normal, and normal was good for B'tak.

Upon finally reaching the central hub of the station, B'tak approached the docking computer. Uttering a quiet prayer, he dared USE.

Star Citizen crashed, and B'tak breathed a sigh of relief. Another successful day in the verse.

I at least want to know if this was bad or not, I thought it was hilarious while I was writing it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mailer posted:

We call this "Business Agile", in which you ignore almost all of the actual Agile concept and mainly focus solely on the idea that no planning needs to be done and any given manager can have his whims realized without worrying about accountability. It sounds like a perfect fit for Chris.

maneuvering themselves agilely into bankruptcy and insolvency

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Daztek posted:

Oh, I guess it's okay!

As a PM, reading a bad explanation of agile & waterfall (let alone scrum) like that should make me want to go explain all the ways they're wrong. But given it's a star citizen backer, they're so loving stupid that it'd be pointless.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Meridian posted:

I at least want to know if this was bad or not, I thought it was hilarious while I was writing it.

Feedback locust

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Me "Welcome to Tinfoil's 'Business Agile' Ice Cream Stand! What can I get for you today?"

Customer: "I'll take a vanilla frappe, please!"

Me: "Right away!"

*picks up phone* "Yes? Sam's Club? I'd like to order a frappe machine for my business. No Just one. Also some large cups to make frappes in, and some vanilla ice cream. One pint ought to do. Alright, I'll swing by tomorrow morning to pick them up." *hangs up phone*

"That will be 7 dollars please."

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Me "Welcome to Tinfoil's 'Business Agile' Ice Cream Stand! What can I get for you today?"

Customer: "I'll take a vanilla frappe, please!"

Me: "Right away!"

*picks up phone* "Yes? Sam's Club? I'd like to order a frappe machine for my business. No Just one. Also some large cups to make frappes in, and some vanilla ice cream. One pint ought to do. Alright, I'll swing by tomorrow morning to pick them up." *hangs up phone*

"That will be 7 dollars please."

well played sir

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

I'm a shill

Here's how I am a shill

Here's how much I'm shilling for.

Neat

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

ArfJason posted:

hello, are you guys still hosed up retarded weirdos

hello friend

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

The real question is when will CIG start to sell mecha suits? Nerds love those things.

I’m going to say late October 2018.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

BeigeJacket posted:

The real question is when will CIG start to sell mecha suits? Nerds love those things.
That's true. And since the only gameplay is carrying boxes and stashing them in your ship, this would probably fit right in.

Sandi hire this person.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Hey boys lots of gold in the comments in here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8j6lxf/cigs_growing_need_for_an_ongoing_revenue_stream/

They're tearing each other apart lol

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bayonnefrog posted:

Hey boys lots of gold in the comments in here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8j6lxf/cigs_growing_need_for_an_ongoing_revenue_stream/

They're tearing each other apart lol

Always nice to see someone point to facts: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8j6lxf/cigs_growing_need_for_an_ongoing_revenue_stream/dyxi69m/

LOL, they even downvoted the wiki text bot... the rage! I gave it an upvote, poor bot.

Anyway, its all fine. Even if they stopped all funding a year or two ago, the release of Squadron 42 will provide enough funds to finish SC! CIG said it, so it must be true!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh, a good one

quote:

I don’t mind what they’ve done one bit. I’m really looking forward to what SC is becoming. It’s not just some shallow, 80 hours then done kind of game. If you’re not excited about it, don’t pledge for it.

Saying that to people who a) already backed the game as promised initially and b) did back a shallow <80 hours then done kind of game (SQ42 - if the crimbo trailer is anything to go by).

EDIT: oooh OP in that thread is in for 5k! Another dissapointed whale!

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
What happenee to the lawsuit or whatevs?

Like wasent that a huge thing that was supposed to be cool and good.for comedy purposes?