Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I crashed on my mountain bike a few days ago. I didn't think it was that bad of a crash, but I've been looking at mk4 R32's on Autotrader since it happened. Definitely a head injury, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Depends on what you plan to do with it

realtalk: head injuries are serious poo poo, be careful, dude

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BlackMK4 posted:

Can confirm. Source: neuro icu nurse

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Finally used my scales to adjust the front left coilover that I guess was setup to low from installer.

Before:
FL FR RL RR
1139 902 653 534
After
956 966 776 727

Should be a hell of a lot more balanced now. Been having a bit of lift off oversteer at autocrosses and now I see why lol. This is with the rear seats out and 1/3rd a tank of gas.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Wow, I would imagine that makes a big difference next time out.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I think I've decided to snag a cheapo brand new 2018 FiST, I miss my old one too much and I'll actually mod it this time since im buying and not leasing this time.

Now im on a quest to find the cheapest new one with recaros in the country.

For 17-19k it seems like an insane deal and half the price of the RS I almost got.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Depends on what you plan to do with it

I didn't actually hit my head, just making a joke about looking at mk4 VW's. Clean, lowish mileage R32's aren't at all common and when you find them they aren't usually what I'd want to pay for a mk4 VW after having owned one. I guess it would have less vacuum leak and coil pack problems than the 1.8T though :v:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Uuurgh, mk4 Golfs are basically on my list of cars that I would never, under any circumstance, own. They're just so irredeemably poo poo. lovely interior, lovely rustproofing, lovely engines, lovely chassi. Shitshitshit.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
There are w-body collectors...the mk4 at least has redeeming qualities.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Christobevii3 posted:

There are w-body collectors...the mk4 at least has redeeming qualities.

Not that I’ve ever seen.

MK4 makes even less sense now the MK5 is worth next to nothing - that was a way better car.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

dissss posted:

Not that I’ve ever seen.

MK4 makes even less sense now the MK5 is worth next to nothing - that was a way better car.

MK4 hatch is still a great looking car. I've always kind of wanted one, even knowing the issues.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

dissss posted:

Not that I’ve ever seen.

I'm very seriously considering getting a 2008 Mk5 in the next 36 hours - in part because of the "next to nothing" part. Is there a reason I should be talked out of this?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
For me, the only mk4 or 5 I'd want would be an R32 and the mk5 is DSG only so I'd have to find one smoking rear end deal to go that road.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
The MK4 R32 sounds dope as gently caress and I’ve always wanted one. I’ll never touch a 1.8T though.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

jammyozzy posted:

Guys, hey, guysguysguys can I play too? Hey!

It's a Renaultsport Twingo 133, and its basically like driving an excitable puppy.

Sweet. I have its "bigger" brother Clio RS 200 ~*Cup Trophee*~ in the same (unusually great) silver.
We don't get the Twingo here (Aus - we didn't even get non-RS Clio's for that gen). Would love to see what RenaultSport does with something even smaller than the Clio.

Does yours have these pedals?

spleen merchant fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 15, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
mk5's look extremely bad, but mk4's are legit bad cars, even if they look better

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Basically, it comes down to needing a car ASAP. My 91 Civic is joining the 27 Club and dying a rockstar death. My two requirements are manual and a hatch (I need something I can use to haul music gear to gigs) and I'm not interested in US brands. In a perfect world, I'd grab another Civic - it does everything I need and has always been a blast to drive, but there are zero in my area. Out of everything I've test-driven, the 2008 VW handled and responded the closest to what I want. The next-best has been a same year, same mileage, same price Yaris/Vitz. Which was... okay, I guess? I liked it better than the Fit (which I really disliked) and the Versa, which was just kind of meh.

So, if I go for the MkV, how much am I going to regret not doing the :sigh: Reasonable Adult Choice :sigh: low-power, good mileage Yaris?

EDIT - Follow-up, can someone explain to me how these two cars are at the same price point now, when there was a such sizeable difference in MSRP and features at release? Are the VWs cursed? :ohdear:

After The War fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 15, 2018

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quite A Tool posted:

The MK4 R32 sounds dope as gently caress and I’ve always wanted one. I’ll never touch a 1.8T though.

R32's sound so, so good with a decent exhaust. The 1.8t GTI I had seriously almost turned me off the brand with all the problems it had.

After The War posted:

Basically, it comes down to needing a car ASAP. My 91 Civic is joining the 27 Club and dying a rockstar death. My two requirements are manual and a hatch (I need something I can use to haul music gear to gigs) and I'm not interested in US brands. In a perfect world, I'd grab another Civic - it does everything I need and has always been a blast to drive, but there are zero in my area. Out of everything I've test-driven, the 2008 VW handled and responded the closest to what I want. The next-best has been a same year, same mileage, same price Yaris/Vitz. Which was... okay, I guess? I liked it better than the Fit (which I really disliked) and the Versa, which was just kind of meh.

So, if I go for the MkV, how much am I going to regret not doing the :sigh: Reasonable Adult Choice :sigh: low-power, good mileage Yaris?

EDIT - Follow-up, can someone explain to me how these two cars are at the same price point now, when there was a such sizeable difference in MSRP and features at release? Are the VWs cursed? :ohdear:

The mk5 VW you're looking at isn't a bad car and will be more fun than a Yaris. You do run the risk of getting the random basket case VW though. The mk5 and later cars fixed most of the issues that previous generations had as far as I know.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
One car is German and spendy af to repair, and one is a corolla derived Japanese car that will outlive the cockroaches.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Where do you live? I'd be looking for an EP3 Civic Si if I were on a tight budget (or even not so tight)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

BlackMK4 posted:

Where do you live? I'd be looking for an EP3 Civic Si if I were on a tight budget (or even not so tight)

Washington DC area. That's exactly what I'd been planning to jump to and hoping mine would hold out, but it just hasn't worked out that way. There don't seem to be any Civics on the market here older than a couple years , and I need to get mobile again.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

After The War posted:

Depreciation is a real thing. Most VAG cars depreciate much much faster than more "sensible" choices. I was in your shoes and grabbed a 2009 GTI for funzies 2 years ago and have not regretted it except for the time the central electronic module died 5 hours from home. 140k miles on it now (40k while I've had it) and that's been the only real breakdown. Other than replacing the motor mounts, which was to be expected.

If you are willing to risk potentially expensive repairs and occasional Gremlins, go for it. They look funny and go like stink.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Come down to NC

After The War posted:

Washington DC area. That's exactly what I'd been planning to jump to and hoping mine would hold out, but it just hasn't worked out that way. There don't seem to be any Civics on the market here older than a couple years , and I need to get mobile again.
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-honda-civic-si-ep3-white/6566865515.html

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Man, that's perfect, but there's no way to get down there. :(

PabloBOOM posted:

If you are willing to risk potentially expensive repairs and occasional Gremlins, go for it. They look funny and go like stink.

Whereas I do stink and look funny, so that sounds like a good fit!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PabloBOOM posted:

Depreciation is a real thing. Most VAG cars depreciate much much faster than more "sensible" choices. I was in your shoes and grabbed a 2009 GTI for funzies 2 years ago and have not regretted it except for the time the central electronic module died 5 hours from home. 140k miles on it now (40k while I've had it) and that's been the only real breakdown. Other than replacing the motor mounts, which was to be expected.

You put 50k on a car a year?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Other way around, 20k.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You put 50k on a car a year?

Not quite. To phrase a bit better, it had 100k on the clock when I bought it and I've put 40k on it in the two years I've had it.

And I'll probably have to sell it for nothing in a little while because I'm going to have to give in to Midwest truck lyfe :gonk:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spleen merchant posted:

Sweet. I have its "bigger" brother Clio RS 200 ~*Cup Trophee*~ in the same (unusually great) silver.
We don't get the Twingo here (Aus - we didn't even get non-RS Clio's for that gen). Would love to see what RenaultSport does with something even smaller than the Clio.

I need this in my life.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Yeah, but then he’d have to go to Raleigh. Eew.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

After The War posted:

Man, that's perfect, but there's no way to get down there. :(

Whereas I do stink and look funny, so that sounds like a good fit!

Greyhound will get you there if you want it badly enough.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Midjack posted:

Greyhound will get you there if you want it badly enough.

You'll have to want it pretty goddamn bad, though

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Larrymer posted:

A one way flight from DC to RDU can be had for less than $100.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Worth a fly and drive. Can you get a Southwest or JetBlue for like 79 or 99?

e;fb

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

spleen merchant posted:

Regrettably it does not, but I now know what my second change will be. The first is trying to work out why neither the retrofitted DAB radio nor the factory aux input work. I sense PO wiring fuckhattery....

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
The last car you should ever buy if you're hard up for cash is a German one, much less a decade old VW hot hatch.

Unless you want to have even less cash than you currently do.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

iwentdoodie posted:

The last car you should ever buy if you're hard up for cash is a German one, much less a decade old VW hot hatch.

I'm about to make a Terrible Life Choice! :neckbeard:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Larrymer posted:

Kastivich posted:

A one way flight from DC to RDU can be had for less than $100.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Worth a fly and drive. Can you get a Southwest or JetBlue for like 79 or 99?

e;fb

iwentdoodie posted:

What's going on around this well, guys?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

After The War posted:

Point of information: Honda is a Japanese manufacturer.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

After The War posted:

I say this having driven this:

And this:

For the last couple years.

I can do that, and on a cheap rear end budget, because they aren't lovely loving German hatchbacks.

I work on everything myself, am a very competent mechanic, race cars on actual tracks, and obviously daily stupid poo poo.

A modern VW/Audi out of warranty doesn't even begin to enter my search for a vehicle.

You're obviously doing a goon in a well, so it doesn't matter, but Jesus gently caress that is a colossally dumb loving choice for a vehicle when you're strapped. Like you might as well just nail a loving ball to a chair for funsies, because that's a less retarded life choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

What's going on around this well, guys?
Looks like he's going for the shovel, Johnson! Let's see how that works out for him!