Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

bongwizzard posted:

Not all of them, just the ones about elf-dating and it's place in tactical-lite party based crpgs. Like, it's reasonable to disagree about things, right?

Disagreeing about priorities is fine and normal, making assertions of objective value and what constitutes a proper RPG just makes you one of the lovely dudes trying to gatekeep the hobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

corn in the bible posted:

If you want solid tactical combat from a rtwp dnd style rpg you're looking in the wrong place. It has literally never happened, and never will.

The tactics in baldurs gate: use all your spells, you win. Tactics in poe: use all your spells, you win. Such development in gameplay!

Someone should probably let Obsidian know then.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Don't know why you're all arguing when it's clear the reason why the game is awful is that you can only equip one pet

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'm uncool enough to admit I usually like the gameplay and stories of the infinity engine games and their descendants.

To me, the infinity engine is a religion, and PoE is the poo poo.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Eraflure posted:

Don't know why you're all arguing when it's clear the reason why the game is awful is that you can only equip one pet

What's worse, they don't fit all in Eder's inventory

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

RIght now Aloth is bugged. he's supposed to have two different opposing disposition preferences depending on his first game ending, right now he shits on you for both, ie., no matter what you say it's wrong because the other aloth hates it.

The main thing with him now is that the Thaos headdress is waaaay better than the keybreaker scepter so mechanically having him lead the leaden key is a much better choice, but there may be ConsequencesTM for that.

:lol:

There's a huge upside to all these bugs. Once they're fixed, we're gonna play a completely different PoE2.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

I do, in fact, regret not having backed a ship's wheel belt buckle that gave resistance to intellect afflictions

yea, that would have been far cooler than a dumb pig.

If you want solid tactical combat from a rtwp dnd style rpg you're looking in the wrong place. It has literally never happened, and never will.

I don't want "solid", I want "lite". Sometimes you feel like having to track individual rounds in individual magazines, sometimes you feel like shooting a fireball at an ogre. For Solid I prefer milsim stuff but for a more casual game fantasy is a better fit.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Kind of wonder why Devil of Caroc (remorselles serial killer) doesn’t get the same critism as Durance about your lack of reactivity to her evilness. Maybe people just didn’t use her since rogues suck while priests are super usefull? :shrug:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

AngryBooch posted:

I'm uncool enough to admit I usually like the gameplay and stories of the infinity engine games and their descendants.

To me, the infinity engine is a religion, and PoE is the poo poo.

:same:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

bongwizzard posted:

Not all of them, just the ones about elf-dating and it's place in tactical-lite party based crpgs. Like, it's reasonable to disagree about things, right?
The only way forward is to embrace it. Tactical RPG combat and its connoisseurs need to - intimately! - embrace elf sex.
Combat systems need to be designed or existing systems adapted to model dating among elves.
Your party is just you, your wingman and your pet.
Battles are social interactions. Get on the good side of your chosen elf's friends. Seduce the elf of your desires. Convince the elf's parents that you are an acceptable elf fucker and can produce good, sexy heirs. Winning a battle means getting the desired conversation outcome (you get a special game over if you accidentally seduce the father).
What are now your weapons, armor, potions and random body parts of slain enemies will be used to represent the social, cultural and economic capital you use to navigate the increasingly byzantine world of elven courtship rituals.

It's the only way for the gameplay we like to survive.
Because in the end, everything will be elf sex.
Forever.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Kind of wonder why Devil of Caroc (remorselles serial killer) doesn’t get the same critism as Durance about your lack of reactivity to her evilness. Maybe people just didn’t use her since rogues suck while priests are super usefull? :shrug:

Devil doesn't try to sound half as clever as Durance. I actually like the priest, but he's not really well written.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Disagreeing about priorities is fine and normal, making assertions of objective value and what constitutes a proper RPG just makes you one of the lovely dudes trying to gatekeep the hobby

lol, "the hobby"

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Wizard Styles posted:

The only way forward is to embrace it. Tactical RPG combat and its connoisseurs need to - intimately! - embrace elf sex.
Combat systems need to be designed or existing systems adapted to model dating among elves.
Your party is just you, your wingman and your pet.
Battles are social interactions. Get on the good side of your chosen elf's friends. Seduce the elf of your desires. Convince the elf's parents that you are an acceptable elf fucker and can produce good, sexy heirs. Winning a battle means getting the desired conversation outcome (you get a special game over if you accidentally seduce the father).
What are now your weapons, armor, potions and random body parts of slain enemies will be used to represent the social, cultural and economic capital you use to navigate the increasingly byzantine world of elven courtship rituals.

It's the only way for the gameplay we like to survive.
Because in the end, everything will be elf sex.
Forever.

ok that is a little compelling.

but only if they are tall tolkien-style elves.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You post about loving pixels more than anyone else here. Literally twice as much.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Honestly Obsidian should be applauded for making me care a bit more about consumables in the game

Basically never used or HAD to use potions/scrolls/food in PoE 1

In Deadfire at least I actually search around for the really good food components and make a LOT of useful explosives

Scrolls and potions are still in the dirt though

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Avalerion posted:

Because people sympathise with vigilantes getting revenge on people who murdered their family

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Chairchucker posted:

Because people sympathise with vigilantes getting revenge on people who murdered their family

Yeah she's an rear end in a top hat murder robot but everyone she's murdering is an rear end in a top hat who butchered her village so whatever.

Like not a single person involved with Cold Morn didn't deserve to get shanked by her.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Q&A Summary

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/8jpwee/deadfire_qa_w_josh_sawyer_51518_summary/

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

She explictly admits to not being too picky and often killing the cold mourners with whover else they happened to be around.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh, has anyone figured out what if any reactivity there is if you accept Skaen's bargain then betray Skaen at the very end of the first game? Like, after the Thaos fight?

Just curious, it's really tempting to shiv Skaen but there's literally no purpose to it in the first game since it happens after the final combat.

Avalerion posted:

She explictly admits to not being too picky and often killing the cold mourners with whover else they happened to be around.

Virtually no different from the PC then

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm probably going to wait for the Veteran/PotD rebalance before I do a full playthrough, so it's good to know it's a priority.

Also nice to know the door is open to promoting sidekicks to be full companions, even if there's no commitment either way. I know everyone wants Ydwin the most but Fassina and Rekke are the two I'd be most excited to have as real companions. Fassina quitting her job at Arkemyr's store was a very :allears: scene and I want more of her being belligerent.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Avalerion posted:

Well if they knew the cold morners they're probably assholes too imo

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Rope kid nerfing beckoners and I just started one for my first playthrough yesterday wtf

I think -2 to summon phrase cost and one extra summon each time would be reasonable, but i know poo poo about the balance in this game. If they nerf them too hard then why not just play a troubadour that gets brisk recitation.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The problem with Beckoners is that there’s an undocumented thing where their summons have better stats in almost every single fashion despite their lower health, so they effectively have no real drawbacks at all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's mention of Chanter multiclass being too strong in there. I wonder if that's referring specifically to Beckoner (so a Watcher/adventurer-specific problem, since companions can't pick Beckoner) or to Chanter as a whole. If it's Chanter in general, I'm curious what the nerf would target. Summons? Some way to make chants weaker if you're multiclass? I'm not sure.

I know my favorite thing about making Pallegina a Herald is that even if I don't use any invocations, she can just keep on chanting buffs out to everyone passively on top of the aura buff she already has.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Entropy238 posted:

Rope kid nerfing beckoners and I just started one for my first playthrough yesterday wtf

I think -2 to summon phrase cost and one extra summon each time would be reasonable, but i know poo poo about the balance in this game. If they nerf them too hard then why not just play a troubadour that gets brisk recitation.

This would be a buff compared to their current implementation :v: Beckoners currently give -1 phrase cost and double the summons, but most of the best summons only summin a single entity by default anyways so they would be exactly as strong as current Beckoners with even cheaper summons.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zore posted:

This would be a buff compared to their current implementation :v: Beckoners currently give -1 phrase cost and double the summons, but most of the best summons only summin a single entity by default anyways so they would be exactly as strong as current Beckoners with even cheaper summons.

Eh, it would be a significant penalty to skeletons, drakes, ogres, etc.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Each Kill Fed His Fury, unlike the upgraded version, seems to actually add 5 might con resolve and stacks with inspirations. Set to Their Purpose is nuts. I haven't tested And With Furious Vengeance and And Sip From The Marrow but they look promising to me.

Has anyone tested if Chants are extended by Salvation of Time?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Virtually no different from the PC then

I lied to her in her quest because it seemed rude to slaughter a bunch of innocent lumberjacks to get at one dude. I felt a little bad about her ending slide but she does get turned into a nice breastplate

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eh, it would be a significant penalty to skeletons, drakes, ogres, etc.

But a buff to the Phantom, the Dragon, and the bigger drake.

And Ogres/Drakes are only at 2 by default so going from 4->3 isn't that huge. It only really hurts the swarmy skeletons and little wyrms.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm extremely lucky I can keep playing because none of the major bugs (used a generated save since I never beat PoE 1, don't really care about Aloth, already playing on Story) affect me in any way.

Other than the companion conversation system being kind of wacky and Old City questing being completely hosed up but I can deal with the former and just have to not break the latter.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Harrow posted:

There's mention of Chanter multiclass being too strong in there. I wonder if that's referring specifically to Beckoner (so a Watcher/adventurer-specific problem, since companions can't pick Beckoner) or to Chanter as a whole. If it's Chanter in general, I'm curious what the nerf would target. Summons? Some way to make chants weaker if you're multiclass? I'm not sure.

I know my favorite thing about making Pallegina a Herald is that even if I don't use any invocations, she can just keep on chanting buffs out to everyone passively on top of the aura buff she already has.
IMO Chanter could probably use a nerf to starting phrases. Being able to dump a full cost invocation at the start of combat is probably too strong. A 5 phrase invocation that "costs" 30 seconds of combat gets applied for free, and 5 phrases are available again when its effects dissipate.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 16, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Flavahbeast posted:

I lied to her in her quest because it seemed rude to slaughter a bunch of innocent lumberjacks to get at one dude. I felt a little bad about her ending slide but she does get turned into a nice breastplate

That's their fault for standing there :colbert:. They should realize that my party of murder hobos can easily slaughter them.

A lack of self preservation is a common issue in RPGs though. People willingly challenge your murder god pc whereas in the real world those lumberjacks would probably just let you kill that dude because they'd be smart enough to realize they stand no chance against you.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Zore posted:

But a buff to the Phantom, the Dragon, and the bigger drake.

And Ogres/Drakes are only at 2 by default so going from 4->3 isn't that huge. It only really hurts the swarmy skeletons and little wyrms.

Doesn't even really matter how many and which invocations it would buff and nerf. The invocations summon different numbers of monsters so any flat modifier of these base numbers is going to be unbalanced by design.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

The tactics in baldurs gate: use all your spells, you win. Tactics in poe: use all your spells, you win. Such development in gameplay!

Hey man, you also need a good memory to remember that Gorglblorgs Reticulating Assblaster Of Trepidation is good against Frompts Monoculturing Prong Of The Cloaca, but only against human types below level 7.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

I am in great part playing to figure out AI right now, while also learning basic mechanics of different classes. I know it’s a breeze for some, but slow going for me.

I am not quite sure when to use a negative condition, e.g. the "not" button. Simple logic I know, but some of it seems less than obvious.

I have the some of the same questions as above. How do you set an AoE to avoid friendlies? I haven’t tried a "not" with the ">" commands yet.

If I want to set someone up as a casting buff/heal machine, not exactly sure how? Close, but haven’t quite got it. Might be the timer bug someone mentioned? I saw one example poster ITT that had long cool downs. Sadly, I don’t get that.

Wish there was a better tutorial or something I guess.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
So I'm nearly done a playthrough of POE1 as an unarmed Monk, and my previous playhtough (years ago) was Cipher. I love both, so multiclassing seems like the obvious next step. I want to be hitting stuff really hard and occasionally tossing off psychic nonsense, so these subclasses seem ideal for that. I ALSO will probably use the Berath Blessing that gives double starting skills, because why not. Is there any stat distribution I should focus on? Any items I should keep an eye out for?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lurksion posted:

IMO Chanter could probably use a nerf to starting phrases. Being able to dump a full cost invocation at the start of combat is probably too strong. A 5 phrase invocation that "costs" 30 seconds of combat gets applied for free, and 5 phrases are available again when its effects dissipate.

It does seem odd to me that a Chanter's starting phrase count is always equal to their highest-cost invocation. Maybe something like "highest-cost invocation - 2" or something, so you start with 1 phrase at the beginning, and while the number of phrases you start with grows it never reaches "open combat by dumping your strongest invocation immediately" level.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Harrow posted:

It does seem odd to me that a Chanter's starting phrase count is always equal to their highest-cost invocation. Maybe something like "highest-cost invocation - 2" or something, so you start with 1 phrase at the beginning, and while the number of phrases you start with grows it never reaches "open combat by dumping your strongest invocation immediately" level.

1+ ("highest cost invocation divided by two") perhaps, would be VERY roughly in line with Ciphers that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Would Frenzy Berserker/Helwalker be a good combo? Does the raw damage you take from frenzy help build wounds?

Harrow posted:

I have never been impressed with chanter's offensive invocations. Summons are great, but those tiny cone attacks seem pretty shrimpy in comparison.