Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Decades posted:

but Rubin's point seems to be that those ideas on the left conflict with anti-segregationist ideas and the I have a dream speech in particular, and I don't see anything incorrect about that.

the gently caress are you talking about.

Decades posted:

Like that's fine but maybe just don't post then? I don't get what's potentially constructive about this approach and it's not very funny either. Of course it's not your personal obligation to be that guy, but the growing void of people willing to talk about these things is frustrating and I wish someone else would step up, either to openly defend the radical left perspective or to openly oppose it from a place that isn't the right - in part for my personal curiosity, and in part because the left continuing to let its poo poo fall apart for another generation means burning time the world doesn't have.

it takes like five seconds of googling to debunk pretty much anything shapiro, rubin, et al say. i like how it's the left's fault and not the billionaires who have spent decades making people dumber through their think tanks and astroturfing.

Gay Horney posted:

literally you could have found a Dave rubin video and explained why it was stupid instead of just calling the dude stupid. i don't know who he is but if he hangs out with Jordan Peterson it shouldn't be that hard. if you're not willing to back up what you say then don't make a dozen posts about how correct and smart you are like it's self evident when clearly it isn't.

i had a written up a post with another video of rubin misusing mlk but i just deleted it to try to drop the issue.

here's the video anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGaUnLU_FeM

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Point is people casually familiar with MLK associate him with stuff like black children joining hands with white children. Rubin's not the first to contrast that with young activists emphasizing spaces for people of color then sometimes taking that to extremes like the protests around Bret Weinstein coming to work on a day white people weren't supposed to. It's a shallow view of King and I don't actually disagree it's dumb to use him as a reference in this way. But King did say those things, and Rubin's actual point that there's a dangerous side to the left overemphasizing personal identity as something of primary inviolable importance isn't incoherent and isn't something debunked in five seconds.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah it is. mlk was saying he wanted a world where that was so - we aren;t in that world there is still institutional racism and systemic inequality. so it's dumb for rubin to quote it, he'd only have a point if we lived in a country where black and white people were economic and political equals.

and him and the right attack identity politics for the wrong reason - the actual issue is using identity politics divorced from economic justice (the "we need more women ceos!" type of politics that centrist/third way dems love). rubin et al hate it because it's pointing out how unequal our society is - while white identity politics is a-ok for them.

it doesn't even take five seconds of googling to realize how dumb it all is - it takes a second of thought.

and they all lie about the bret weinstein thing:

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/993829303350710274

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 13, 2018

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've decided you're all lying about everything and should all shut up until you do some research about how much of a liar you actually are.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
someone explain to me the bret weinstein thing. when i try to read about it i cant make heads or tails of what happened

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that article explains it pretty well.

it boils down to another person thinking free speech means freedom from consequence of his speech.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 13, 2018

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Less Brent Weinstein, more Brent Weinbach.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Groovelord Neato posted:

that article explains it pretty well.

it boils down to another person thinking free speech means freedom from consequence of his speech.

okay read it. it doesnt explain why weinstein got a payout from the university, maybe it was published before then though. still kind of a confusing situation since, like the article said, all the videos and msm push the nutty protesters and people say wow the blacks were forcing white people off campus

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's because Bret Weinstein (not even the dudes real name) is the descendant of a Nazi family who enjoyed killing jewish people and other minorities in Germany during the 1930s. His family was brought to the US under the cover of the CIA who hired his grandfather to help build crack cocaine which was released specifically to disrupt the black population in America. He's been in on it since day one and this was all a false flag to distract us from the Trump/Russia collusion.

It's all here in my tumblr blog. You'll get access to the sources once you donate to my patreon.

Thanks and Namaste.

I'm not good at Eddie Bravo/D&D poster impressions, I apologize

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

are you jan irvin

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

barkbell posted:

okay read it. it doesnt explain why weinstein got a payout from the university, maybe it was published before then though. still kind of a confusing situation since, like the article said, all the videos and msm push the nutty protesters and people say wow the blacks were forcing white people off campus

because it's cheaper to settle than go through a trial.

and for beep:

https://twitter.com/alexkotch/status/995733453848154113

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 13, 2018

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Maybe we've moved past it but here's a really loving good article about the Intellectual Dark Web and why it's so frustrating that Joe platforms these guys

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/05/the-real-dangerous-ideas

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nathan robinson is the best. torched peterson and shapiro in their own articles.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

because it's cheaper to settle than go through a trial.

lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*says objectively true thing* "lol"

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
*guy who holds court on politics in the joe rogan thread* i have intimate knowledge of this confidential private settlement, for sure

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Username checks out

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Skip My Posts posted:

*guy who holds court on politics in the joe rogan thread* i have intimate knowledge of this confidential private settlement, for sure

i was obviously speaking in general (lol)

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

i was obviously speaking in general (lol)

oh when he asked about that specific settlement you answered in general lol. makes sense

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hot sauce posted:

Username checks out

Unfunny Poster posted:

You both suck rear end and should stop posting.

hot sauce posted:

Username checks out

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 16, 2018

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You both suck rear end and should stop posting.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

dont be mad you got called out for making up stuff lol. hey you guys see that 500 million dollar MSU settlement?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Skip My Posts posted:

dont be mad you got called out for making up stuff lol. hey you guys see that 500 million dollar MSU settlement?

Whats the real reason then?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

threeagainstfour posted:

This, one thousand percent this. The "Intellectual Dark Web" crew are making hysterical amounts of money by running this racket.

Like I guess if you hang out exclusively on college campuses some of the things they rant and rave about might be an actual issue, but outside of college it all seems nonexistent.

Where colleges lead, society follows. What happens on colleges, while to a degree in a seperate sphere from the rest of public life, does have an influence on society at large.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

steven tyler you're crazeh

e: guess what guys, water actually has memory

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Steven Tyler is the only reason I still occasionally checkout this podcast.

He is just as crazy as I thought he would be.

Great episode.

I'm gonna listen to Big John McCarthy tomorrow. I bet it's good too.

JRE MMA show is better than the normal JRE

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Malaria posted:

Steven Tyler is the only reason I still occasionally checkout this podcast.

He is just as crazy as I thought he would be.

Great episode.

I'm gonna listen to Big John McCarthy tomorrow. I bet it's good too.

JRE MMA show is better than the normal JRE

It was kinda hard to listen to in the first 10 minutes or so... Does it get better later on? I paused it.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Seltzer posted:

It was kinda hard to listen to in the first 10 minutes or so... Does it get better later on? I paused it.

It's good in a "holy poo poo he is kinda crazy" way.

I liked it.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Also if everyone in this thread isn't listening to/watching Your Mom's House every week you are loving up

Joe introduced me to Tom Segura, aka the water champ, aka Tommy Bunz, and it's the only reason I still occasionally gently caress with him.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 17, 2018

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

vid starts at a good spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-CtEPEaqxw&t=2498s

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Try it out!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

the john mccarthy episode of jre is very good, especially the gloves and basketball court debate, big john rulez

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Big John is awesome and so informative

I love hearing Rogan and whoever geek out about Jiu-jitsu.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Yeah listening now and its great as opposed to the past few weeks.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Was really cool to hear the 'real' story of why Royce was chosen over Rickson.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

always be closing posted:

Was really cool to hear the 'real' story of why Royce was chosen over Rickson.

I haven't listened yet. What was it? I've only heard that they chose the smallest and least intimidating brother so that if he lost they could bring out Rickson

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I haven't listened yet. What was it? I've only heard that they chose the smallest and least intimidating brother so that if he lost they could bring out Rickson

That's what's I always believed, but big John asserts that because Rickson had started his own academy, and Rorion didn't feel he could control Rickson, he went with Royce.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

How insufferable was the Tim Kennedy episode?

Might be the first MMA episode I skip. That guy is so annoying.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Malaria posted:

How insufferable was the Tim Kennedy episode?

Might be the first MMA episode I skip. That guy is so annoying.

Im not gonna listen because tim Kennedy is a huge douche but if you wanted to know if he's changed i see a "Tim Kennedy Says Waterboarding Isn't Torture" clip in my recommended videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Seltzer posted:

i see a "Tim Kennedy Says Waterboarding Isn't Torture" clip in my recommended videos.

He says the people they waterboarded were pussies and caved immediately, so it's not torture. Apparently, Rogan could have taken it for days.

:chaostrump: