Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Weeping Wound posted:

those were all good players before you said Motherfucker :doh:

its true Im not cool enough for those two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Angry Diplomat posted:

Times change, I'm afraid. But now time has apparently changed back and we have Lorde Doome again!

I still remember the time you randomly took me under your wing and taught me how to hack airlocks, then stood stock still, said "I'm a poo poo person," and spontaneously sublimated into a mushroom cloud of flame before a squad of gay bikers teleported in and kicked me to death. I never did get any context for that and frankly I think it's probably funnier that way.

this loving game

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
g

Gooses and Geeses fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 14, 2020

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

soy posted:

Here's the thing, some admins are british and hate fun. Other admins like fun.

If there's an admin on that hates fun you'll know because they will yell at you for stupid stuff. Learn who the fun hating admins are and act like a good boy while they are around.

For bonus points you can edge on the border of being a bad boy because you know that admin is probably watching you and it's fun to mess with authority figures.

:emptyquote:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
My favorite SS13 memory is holding the bridge during a revolution round with four thick walls. I was HoP and we had all gotten guns and barricaded in the Bridge when suddenly a massive bomb tore through and a greywave recklessly crossed the open space and tried to human wave us. We felled at least five before another bomb landed in the Bridge and we had to fall back towards the maintenance tunnels. By the time we got back to the tunnel, the security doors opened and we saw the bodies of the whole security staff.

Before the next grey wave came the RD suicide bombed himself and took out the revolution leaders in one shot who were equipping in security. I love SS13

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I joined very late in a round and the job option of "Remy" was available. I selected it and lo and behold, I ended up as the chef's assistant, Remy.

After failing to teach some staff assistants how to cook because I was unable to open the door to the kitchen due to not having an ID or hands, I wandered out of the bar area and saw two men in syndicate armor and mustaches. I followed them as they broke into Security.

I didn't have a headset, so I couldn't yell for someone to help. I didn't have hands, so I couldn't robust them. Also, they had stun guns and grenades. All I had was a chef hat and a Space Segway, and I figured that I couldn't ride the Segway.

I was wrong.

I hopped on, clicked the sirens, and the Segway rolled towards the traitors. Much to everybody's surprise, I rammed into one of them, knocking us both down. Somehow, I recovered from the stun faster than he did, so I hopped back on, flipped on the sirens again, and rammed into the other one. Once again, I'm faster to recover than they are, so I man the Segway once more and collide into the guy who just now got up.

At this point, the traitors are yelling in confusion as they start firing their weapons and throwing bombs randomly about the security office trying to kill me, while I drive the Segway, sirens blazing, in circles around to smash into them again and again. By this time, someone else walks in, sees the chaos and decides he wants absolutely no part of it and runs off. Somehow, this manages to go on for about five minutes while the traitors howl about the evil demon rat, depleting all of their ammunition before deciding to just beat me to death with their bare hands.

The escape shuttle arrives, the traitors are unable to break into the armory, and I die a hero's death.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I think what a lot of people forget is that this game attracts a bunch of different people who love it for completely different reasons. Some folks love it for the giddy piss-swilling insanity, some love it for the insane detail of the engine or the chemistry reactions, some love it for the cool and very good adventure zones. Blowing up chemistry is great for the first and last groups, but prevents the second group from enjoying the game.

Generally, all our rules are set up to try and make sure one person's fun doesn't stop anyone else from having fun with exceptions like antagonists. You wanna blow poo poo up? Cool, either wait to get a traitor round or for an rear end day or chaos round, or go blow up like space derelicts (but make sure, like really sure, nobody's going to get hurt in the case of the second). Wanna concoct horrible poo poo in chemistry? If there are more than like 3 people on, I can almost guarantee that at least one will willingly drink down whatever nightmare you cooked up, or hey find a npc monkey.

The general crowd we attract, paired with the tendency for our rounds to be mostly not too long, means you can almost always find a willing accomplice or victim. The only stuff we really have a blanket ban on is stuff that can intentionally gently caress with the server (you'll know it when you see it) or stuff that a lot of people including our server hosts really do not want to see like the output of bigots or sex weirds. That's never welcome. Anything else and there's a way to do it inside our honestly very permissive rules.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I love turning up to medbay with the weirdest symptoms possible and claiming i dont know how it happened.

The fun in this is that theres usually some other nerd whos happy to try and fix me

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I’m just happy to see a sudden surge of activity in this thread again. I think things got stale for people years ago and they just stopped coming back. I know that’s what happened to me.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Isaac posted:

I love turning up to medbay with the weirdest symptoms possible and claiming i dont know how it happened.

The fun in this is that theres usually some other nerd whos happy to try and fix me

There is no shortage of Graves sisters and all of them play space doctor.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
you're a huge nerd if you think ss13 is like some book some hack fraud wrote some time before television

ss13 is whos line is it anyway where the objectives/rules/points don't matter and the whole station is an improvisational prop to amuse admins and abuse coders to become immortalised in the space hall of fame

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Wow. It really is improv hiding under a thin layer of deathmatch and secret murder.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Once i was a clown with no legs and i buddied up with a staff assistant who dragged me round the stations vending machines so i could continue eating burritos for golden tickets after my legs got blown off (probably by a burrito)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I, a staff assistant, broke into medbay and gave myself a vodka IV. A helpful doctor saved me when I ODed on ethanol, to my anger.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Top Hats Monthly posted:

:siren:GOONS:siren:

I want to get a large group of people around this weekend at 9PM (Central Standard Time) to play SS13 on Goonstation. Who's down? :) It could be Friday or Saturday.

I could do this, probably.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I, a staff assistant, broke into medbay and gave myself a vodka IV. A helpful doctor saved me when I ODed on ethanol, to my anger.

It wasn't me, but if it was, it would've been out of spite.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

redneck nazgul posted:

I joined very late in a round and the job option of "Remy" was available. I selected it and lo and behold, I ended up as the chef's assistant, Remy.

After failing to teach some staff assistants how to cook because I was unable to open the door to the kitchen due to not having an ID or hands, I wandered out of the bar area and saw two men in syndicate armor and mustaches. I followed them as they broke into Security.

I didn't have a headset, so I couldn't yell for someone to help. I didn't have hands, so I couldn't robust them. Also, they had stun guns and grenades. All I had was a chef hat and a Space Segway, and I figured that I couldn't ride the Segway.

I was wrong.

I hopped on, clicked the sirens, and the Segway rolled towards the traitors. Much to everybody's surprise, I rammed into one of them, knocking us both down. Somehow, I recovered from the stun faster than he did, so I hopped back on, flipped on the sirens again, and rammed into the other one. Once again, I'm faster to recover than they are, so I man the Segway once more and collide into the guy who just now got up.

At this point, the traitors are yelling in confusion as they start firing their weapons and throwing bombs randomly about the security office trying to kill me, while I drive the Segway, sirens blazing, in circles around to smash into them again and again. By this time, someone else walks in, sees the chaos and decides he wants absolutely no part of it and runs off. Somehow, this manages to go on for about five minutes while the traitors howl about the evil demon rat, depleting all of their ammunition before deciding to just beat me to death with their bare hands.

The escape shuttle arrives, the traitors are unable to break into the armory, and I die a hero's death.

This. This is the kind of poo poo I miss about this game.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Times change, I'm afraid. But now time has apparently changed back and we have Lorde Doome again!

I still remember the time you randomly took me under your wing and taught me how to hack airlocks, then stood stock still, said "I'm a poo poo person," and spontaneously sublimated into a mushroom cloud of flame before a squad of gay bikers teleported in and kicked me to death. I never did get any context for that and frankly I think it's probably funnier that way.

Reminds of the time i was teaching a fellow scientist how to make bombs. I told him midway ill eat him after were done testing the bombs because im a changeling. Sadly i didnt get to eat him since the head of security caught me eating the chemist with his thermals. Scientist at least learned to make bombs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Iretep posted:

Reminds of the time i was teaching a fellow scientist how to make bombs. I told him midway ill eat him after were done testing the bombs because im a changeling. Sadly i didnt get to eat him since the head of security caught me eating the chemist with his thermals. Scientist at least learned to make bombs.

One of the most fun things you can do with a bomb is that brief little accidental on/off of the valve that leaves you wondering if you managed to close it fast enough that it won't detona-:gibs:.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of the most fun things you can do with a bomb is that brief little accidental on/off of the valve that leaves you wondering if you managed to close it fast enough that it won't detona-:gibs:.

Sometimes i put a bomb in my backpack and set it up so it explodes whenever i want to so i can detonate it at the end of the round. One time I got REALLY drunk and did some drugs because there wasnt much to do back then as a scientist besides do dumb crap. The drugs werent a really good idea since it turns out one of the random effects that i forgot about was it says the round ended. The kitchen didnt survive my mistake sadly. Thankfully the admins were pretty understanding after i explained why there was a giant hole in the middle of the station with multiple ghosts there.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PopeCrunch posted:

I think what a lot of people forget is that this game attracts a bunch of different people who love it for completely different reasons. Some folks love it for the giddy piss-swilling insanity, some love it for the insane detail of the engine or the chemistry reactions, some love it for the cool and very good adventure zones. Blowing up chemistry is great for the first and last groups, but prevents the second group from enjoying the game.

Generally, all our rules are set up to try and make sure one person's fun doesn't stop anyone else from having fun with exceptions like antagonists. You wanna blow poo poo up? Cool, either wait to get a traitor round or for an rear end day or chaos round, or go blow up like space derelicts (but make sure, like really sure, nobody's going to get hurt in the case of the second). Wanna concoct horrible poo poo in chemistry? If there are more than like 3 people on, I can almost guarantee that at least one will willingly drink down whatever nightmare you cooked up, or hey find a npc monkey.

The general crowd we attract, paired with the tendency for our rounds to be mostly not too long, means you can almost always find a willing accomplice or victim. The only stuff we really have a blanket ban on is stuff that can intentionally gently caress with the server (you'll know it when you see it) or stuff that a lot of people including our server hosts really do not want to see like the output of bigots or sex weirds. That's never welcome. Anything else and there's a way to do it inside our honestly very permissive rules.

gently caress you space dad!!!! *blows up chemistry*

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Iretep posted:

A scientist was teaching me and someone else how to make TTV bombs. We detonated some in VR then he took us on a field trip to blow up the space diner. We each set bombs.

Due to some missed instructions, bad detonator timing, and incompetence on our parts, we ended up blowing up the diner, one pod, and leaving a mess of limbs and three dead bodies behind. :rip:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Most of my project time is usually spent on the network of the station. I always tell myself that I'll work harder on chemistry, but making people scream about a wraith is the good stuff.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

When I tried (and failed) to learn TTV bombs, the guy teaching me got frustrated and just told me to take them to the science teleporter, giving me coordinates to punch in.

He then chucked them through the teleporter and annihilated a blob. And all of Medbay. People blamed me for it and I was thrown into the gaping hole where Medbay used to be.

Honestly I was just happy to participate.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I don’t play very often but I remember one round I came on late as an assistant. The shuttle was called shortly after I arrived. While in escape, somebody dropped a switch, and I picked it up. I asked what it did. The other person said ‘It detonates the bomb I have in my backpack.’

And that is how I achieved my highest killcount in SS13.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not SS13 if you can't get an entire crew calling for you to be put to death.

I once drove another player to a murderous rampage just by turning off the lights.
I made it my goal to unlock APCs, turn off the lighting breaker, and relock them.

Although harmless, dark hallways apparently stir great anger.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

xergm posted:

I once drove another player to a murderous rampage just by turning off the lights.
I made it my goal to unlock APCs, turn off the lighting breaker, and relock them.

Take out the APC battery, inject it with plasma* and leave it in front of the APC.

*only if you're a traitor

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
An important note. I was not a traitor, which is why I opted for a harmless lighting prank.

For anyone actually considering being dumb, rigging APC power cells is logged just like bombs.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Inject with plasma how, like with a syringe?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Exactly.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it'd still be something if light tubes and bulbs were, themselves, containers, rather than hardcoded to accept plasma

as a light is a reliable heat source, you can see where I'm going with freeform light tube chemistry

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

xergm posted:

One round I was AI and kept getting blamed for some botanist constantly flipping the light switches. Someone actually ahelped me for that. People get real mad about lights.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Weeping Wound posted:

it'd still be something if light tubes and bulbs were, themselves, containers, rather than hardcoded to accept plasma

as a light is a reliable heat source, you can see where I'm going with freeform light tube chemistry

We don’t need another pope crunch meltdown

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I coded in the lightbulb/plasma thing after someone messaged me on IRC saying "Have you ever seen that bit in the The Longest Yard"? I also made it so you could switch the lights in the security cells from outside, and he would use it as an impromptu prisoner execution method. I think that was before modern chemistry really existed. (Can't remember which map that was - probably the one before donutstation).

I did the battery explosion code at the same time, I think. Best use of that was some traitor rigging the batteries of a bunch of space heaters and leaving them around the station. Since they only explode when the battery draws power, and the heaters only turn on when the temperature drops, he had a bunch of random explosions going off all round.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I remember when people first figured out the plasma bulb trick and there were lots of little explosions across the station as chemists from Zeta would bring beakers of plasma to the main station, turn off the lights, fill the lights with plasma, then wait for someone to come through and turn the lights back on.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
The best use I've found for plasma-injected batteries involves pie science. Construct a superflash using a sabotaged battery. Bake it into a pie. You now have a literal exploding pie that will go off when it is thrown and hits someone.

Single use, but put in the effort to make a backpack full and it led to some hilarious traitor clown rounds.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
rest in peace, Holy Order of the Light Bulb

it used to have no logging, so it was a great way to be a jerk and get away with it. flew under the radar for years because so few people even knew it existed or how to do it.

then someone posted the method in public and it got ran into the ground by shitters so i added logging to it. betrayed my brothers. what have i become.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

After being thralled and our laws wiped out by a vampire, I the AI and two cyborgs went off to make chaos, which included starting a plasma fire that raged from the medbay all the way to the mining shuttle. The fire couldn't be fought that easily, so most people were biding their time, hoping the station wouldn't completely overheat and it would burn itself out. It wasn't at that point yet as the shuttle got closer and closer. However, right as the few lucky ones managed to get on the escape shuttle, suddenly my ping went from "86 ms" to "13803" ms. I turned into a ghost. It seemed weird, the fire was not there anymore, and nothing was really moving.

Then suddenly, the entire station, save small parts of botany and the bridge were completely destroyed by daisy chained bombs. There were zero survivors who hadn't managed to circumvent the fire and enter the escape shuttle through a pod. I've never seen anything like it.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I don't have any battery stories, but I once made a graviton transport system, got yelled at by sec for not making teleporters instead, medbay for all the brute damage the crew was taking, and then someone replaced the floors with telescopium and I was subsequently beaten up and spaced by the clown.

Lord Doom
Jul 17, 2008
In my absence, this game has become beautified. Genetics is beautiful now instead of some text hell (heh), medbay is overcomplicated, and the bees. Oh, the bees.

Speaking of batteries are they still one of the most damaging and easy to acquire handheld weapons? Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Why yes.