Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pendent posted:

How are people so upset about this DLC that has a very reasonable amount of content for the price? I really feel like I've missed something

Everyone has a favorite doll from the tabletop game they want to play with in the video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pendent posted:

How are people so upset about this DLC that has a very reasonable amount of content for the price? I really feel like I've missed something

Eh, the long waiting time between content has made people more cranky than usual.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I posted this in the main Total War thread, but I was told to try posting it here as well:

Question: Are the Dwarves a bad starting faction to pick if you're new to Total War: Warhammer? I tried the Dwarves since it said they had an easy start, but I picked Normal difficulty. I had to save-scum a bit to make what little progress I did, and then all my armies got wiped out by the Orkz.

I know the dwarves are meant to be played defensively, and that they have no cavalry units. I've mostly tried to stick to auto-resolves if I can, though.

I thought maybe that I'd be better off trying the Orkz, since I saw somewhere that they have cheap units and excel in fighting in large numbers.

Disclaimer: My issues may be due to the fact that I am bad at strategy games.

-

I will say that this is in regards Total Warhammer 1 (don't know if the same factions are available in 2)

I've been told already that the Empire is a better starting choice for learning the basics; that the Dwarves easy start is a misnomer, since Grimgor is a big threat early game; and that Vampire Counts are also a good starting class that allow for a lot of error.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
^^^Dwarfs and Empire are both pretty good to start with if you're a newbie playing on a lower difficulty. Dwarf is more forgiving on the battlefield and empire is probably more forgiving on the campaign at least early on. Vampires are also really forgiving and probably the easiest faction to start with if you don't have any preconceived notions on how total war games are supposed to be

the stupid amount of hype+wait for what amounts to the shittiest and most niche lord pack they've put out is pretty irritating. but Norsca coming out makes four different factions playable that haven't been for months so there will be plenty to do

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 17, 2018

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Pendent posted:

The more people want something the more upset they are when they finally get it, because anticipation is only limited by your imagination but the actual thing is confined to reality

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gejnor posted:

Eh, the long waiting time between content has made people more cranky than usual.

Seriously. Look, months long waiting sucks and all, but even if CA didn't put out any news at all or even put it all out there for people to lose their poo poo over, this content is releasing on their new timetable because they already learned the hard way about releasing poo poo too early, made that plain and clear when they put out a statement regarding their gently caress-up with Norsca, and whatever reception the news gets isn't going to change that. So no, maybe the toxicity this time is on the fans just going insane, instead of CA being reasonable with how they're moving forward on how to present this new content.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I posted this in the main Total War thread, but I was told to try posting it here as well:

Question: Are the Dwarves a bad starting faction to pick if you're new to Total War: Warhammer? I tried the Dwarves since it said they had an easy start, but I picked Normal difficulty. I had to save-scum a bit to make what little progress I did, and then all my armies got wiped out by the Orkz.

I know the dwarves are meant to be played defensively, and that they have no cavalry units. I've mostly tried to stick to auto-resolves if I can, though.

I thought maybe that I'd be better off trying the Orkz, since I saw somewhere that they have cheap units and excel in fighting in large numbers.

-

I will say that this is in regards Total Warhammer 1 (don't know if the same factions are available in 2)

I've been told already that the Empire is a better starting choice for learning the basics; that the Dwarves easy start is a misnomer, since Grimgor is a big threat early game; and that Vampire Counts are also a good starting class that allow for a lot of error.

The reason Dwarfs are recommended for new players is a couple of reasons; on the battle map they’re one of the simpler armies to use; a fat line of warriors, a handful of quarrelers, and a grudge thrower can beat 90% of early game armies without much micro involved. They also have incredibly high leadership and defense, so you don’t have to worry as much about managing your routed/rallying units. On the campaign map, you do have to worry about Grimgor early on, and the constant greenskin pressure is very real, but it also helps teach you how not to overextend in the early game conquests.

Also, try to avoid auto resolving in the early game, since you’ll almost always end up taking much more casualties than you should, and the dwarfs have very real replenishment issues early on.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
84 new posts they must be going a week earl... oh no. In fact they don't even have all the DLC done for the 31st, okay :(

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

I'd go with Empire to dip your toes in the water, just because they're the closest thing the game has to a baseline faction that fills every niche. The others are more specialized, so you have to find ways to utilize their strengths and work around their weaknesses. Orks aren't super complicated either though, so if that's the part of the map you want to play around with, go for it. Vampire Counts do offer a pretty safe starting area to explore, but they're the most mechanically distinct of the four starting races, so I'd personally suggest starting somewhere simpler.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm not sure I can recommend Orcs for a starter: there's a reason why Dwarfs are recommended for their easy-to-use roster, and that's because being on the opposite end of that army is going to be very rough for someone still getting to grips with how to win battles when your basic units can barely reach the enemy without getting shot to death, can only put a dent in them during the initial charge, and are likely to rout way before the enemy does.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Empire is good for beginners if you want to get a hang of the campaign map and province management stuff, greenskins are good for learning how to win battles

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Gejnor posted:

Yeah, as addicts we need our fixes with some regularity and ever increasing dose.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Just watched the video, I dig Alarielle’s spring-colour tree folk.

I kinda love/hate how both of these lords have classic godawful GW hair. It ain’t GW without dumb topknots.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cardiac posted:

Yeah, as addicts we need our fixes with some regularity and ever increasing dose.

Oh come now Cardiac, we're not addicts, we can quit whenever we want!

We just.. we need, i mean want it come out soon..

*scratches self frantically*

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Just watched the video, I dig Alarielle’s spring-colour tree folk.

I kinda love/hate how both of these lords have classic godawful GW hair. It ain’t GW without dumb topknots.

Alarielle looks awesome. :colbert: I do wish she'd also get Pha's Protection from Light, since she has three lores but I guess CA's system doesn't work for that?

Only thing I'm disappointed on missing out on is White Lion Chariots. Mostly because they are cool, not because I make a ton of use of chariots. No Skycutter is kinda lame too because a flying artillery unit would've been awesome.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

toasterwarrior posted:

Seriously. Look, months long waiting sucks and all, but even if CA didn't put out any news at all or even put it all out there for people to lose their poo poo over, this content is releasing on their new timetable because they already learned the hard way about releasing poo poo too early, made that plain and clear when they put out a statement regarding their gently caress-up with Norsca, and whatever reception the news gets isn't going to change that. So no, maybe the toxicity this time is on the fans just going insane, instead of CA being reasonable with how they're moving forward on how to present this new content.

The Norsca issue had nothing to do with coming out "too early", it was their lovely programming and planning. The reason for the drought in content for WHII is because they were prioritizing working on other things.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

TheNakedFantastic posted:

The Norsca issue had nothing to do with coming out "too early", it was their lovely programming and planning. The reason for the drought in content for WHII is because they were prioritizing working on other things.

Fair, Norsca collapsed due to lovely planning. I don't expect them, however, to keep making content until Norsca is in place, per their explanation.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I hope new Norsca has more than one animation for charging skin wolves. Would make the wait worth it.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
The patch coming out on the 31st makes me worried that it won't be finished by then but that's the furthest they could push it back and still be "late May".

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Reik posted:

The patch coming out on the 31st makes me worried that it won't be finished by then but that's the furthest they could push it back and still be "late May".

Considering they cut content from the new DLC to be released sometime later you probably aren't wrong.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The reason Dwarfs are recommended for new players is a couple of reasons; on the battle map they’re one of the simpler armies to use; a fat line of warriors, a handful of quarrelers, and a grudge thrower can beat 90% of early game armies without much micro involved. They also have incredibly high leadership and defense, so you don’t have to worry as much about managing your routed/rallying units. On the campaign map, you do have to worry about Grimgor early on, and the constant greenskin pressure is very real, but it also helps teach you how not to overextend in the early game conquests.

Also, try to avoid auto resolving in the early game, since you’ll almost always end up taking much more casualties than you should, and the dwarfs have very real replenishment issues early on.

Maybe the problem is that I only had two Grudge thrower units at most in an army, and I needed more.

I usually try fighting when then bar is set at the middle or leans less in my favor, but even then, I still don't do that great in fighting battles and lose most of my units. I'd post a replay, but I don't how I do that (whether I upload the replay data, or just record a video and try to capture parts of it).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Maybe the problem is that I only had two Grudge thrower units at most in an army, and I needed more.

I usually try fighting when then bar is set at the middle or leans less in my favor, but even then, I still don't do that great in fighting battles and lose most of my units. I'd post a replay, but I don't how I do that (whether I upload the replay data, or just record a video and try to capture parts of it).

Two artillery units is a reasonable amount in any army, and doesn't break the AI.

Get more.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Max Wilco posted:

Have you watched Partyelite's videos on control and combat mechanics? They're a good intro and include a lot of stuff the game itself doesn't tell you.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Dwarves do best when you can shore up your flanks, use artillery to force them to come to you and then use your quarellers to melt the enemy army. Your infantry exists to be the anvil so that the ranged units can blast away at the enemy flanks.

Phoneposting so I can't go into detail, but I think the best strategy is still a front line of solid melee troops with gaps between them, and then ranged troops behind them, like a checkerboard. This way your melee troops don't block your ranged units.

Like so, where W is the melee frontline and R are your quarellers and A is for arty:

W W W W
R R R R

AAA

Something to keep in mind is that quarellers can shoot over the heads of other troops while thunderers need line of sight, but they absolutely destroy armored units like generals, other dwarves, Chaos etc.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
But seriously, as Dwarfs you really don't have a lot of options for flexible units. Feel free to take a lot of artillery (4 is a good amount); your main rivals (Greenskins) will have plenty of bodies for you to shoot at, and in general they'll always be able to go for flanks against you, so at least their units will be heavily battered by the time they get close.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

There are great tutorials on YouTube for the basics of how to play. For most factions it comes down to hammer and anvil tactics, with you having a somewhat solid core of durable frontline guys (the anvil) that hold the enemy in place while your own "hammer" units try to kill or scare off their most dangerous and vulnerable units. What types of "hammer" ubits you have available depends on your faction, for dwarves it is mostly ranged, especially quarrelers for your early game. Your basic strategy is to have a line of durable but mostly harmless warriors hold the enemy in place while you focus fire your quarrelers on vulnerable & dangerous enemies. Remember to keep a couple of spare warrior units around your back line to tackle and hold down any fast moving enemy unit (like cavalry) that tries to disrupt your more vulnerable ranged "hammer" units. Your goal is never really to kill all enemies but to kill enough to start a chain rout. When fighting low morale factions such as orcs killing their leader is thus a priority as this 1. makes the enemy units rout much more easily 2. removes a strong enemy unit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Some of those RoRs look hilarious. Darkshards with shields that reduce missile block chance and have extra range? Yes please.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Played a Norsca campaign for the first time this week, Wulfrick and only taking skin wolves and mammoths for monsters. Holy poo poo Norsca is such an awesome faction. None of the units seem useless. The only marauder I didn’t really use were spearman in the later game, and that’s only because I wasn’t facing much in the way of cavalry with the path I was carving then.

The hunts were great, the items were all so cool. Wulfrick felt like a beast with the right equipment and some yellow line. A sword with bound dwellers below is evil. As is my ability to summon spiders and attack archers in the rear, so I can pretend I own the 2nd game and can play skaven.I liked how despite everyone being averse to me early on, as the game progressed I got trade deals and pacts based on who disliked the factions I was beating up. Hell, towards the very end I’d been fighting so many green skins I got full military alliances with 3 dwarven factions including the main one.

Javelin throwers were vicious.
Marauder horsemen/masters sure are fantastic at skirmishing.
Ice wolves were great “fast cav”, best debug.
Ice wolf chariot survived the whole game and did a lot of work.
Berserkers buffed with red line do insane damage and take loads of damage, which is perfect.
Marauder champions tank for days.
Mammoths.

The triple hellcannon unit was as hilariously overpowered as you’d expect, but that’s sort of the point!

Honestly they’ve got to be one of the best factions. Course it’s been several months since I last played it and all the other factions. Once this update comes out for the 2nd game I’m probably going to have to finally buy it!

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Pendent posted:

The thing is... you want as much content in the game as possible before they close the trilogy. The real concern when there are missing units from a DLC is that those missing units might not just ever make it in ever.

I've felt ever since Tomb Kings release that CA probably pooled resources to their other titles even if it was temporary, and the DLC feels kinda telling no? Like they said campaign mechanics was a bigger focus because that's what people wanted. But why are there less units? I doubt people wanted that sacrifice. I mean making a model and balancing its stats for a battle is a different task than balancing campaign mechanics as a game developer no? Completely speculating I don't know how their engine works or how they handle their dev teams thats just the impression I've got. I guess we will see next week just how good the DLC is, it looks lackluster on paper but maybe its different in action. As always I hold my expectations low but hopeful.

I'll probably wait for a sale and play Norsca or Alith Anar when it releases, because I can't loving wait for THROGG!!! IM GOING TO BURN THE ENTIRE WORLD TO THE GROUND!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Jum-Jum posted:

The thing is... you want as much content in the game as possible before they close the trilogy. The real concern when there are missing units from a DLC is that those missing units might not just ever make it in ever.

I mean, if the dwarf update is anything to go by CA is clearly not averse to filling out the “finished” races with more units

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Do we know the actual terms of the license? Is this trilogy guaranteed to be the only Total Hams?

Given engine and gameplay updates I’d be down for Warhammer Saga games or eventually even complete redo of the grand campaign.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do we know the actual terms of the license? Is this trilogy guaranteed to be the only Total Hams?

Given engine and gameplay updates I’d be down for Warhammer Saga games or eventually even complete redo of the grand campaign.

It's been a huge success, and Games Workshop pimps out their IP left and right, so I'm sure they could find a way to renew the license in the future if they wanted to. After three games there's going to be a lot of fatigue though, and it'll never be as fresh and exciting to play your favorite Warhammer race again after the first time. Obviously they've revisited settings before, so who knows what they'll publish ten years from now, but it's hard to imagine it being a priority, even if it was everyone's dream setting in the first place because it's so perfectly suited for the kind of game they make.

I really hope they don't do Middle Earth Total War after this is all over.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I mean, if the dwarf update is anything to go by CA is clearly not averse to filling out the “finished” races with more units

And I hope that continues.

But... that unit was way easier to make than a Kharibdyss. Ghorghon, Skycutter etc.

EDIT: I will add that the teaser at the end of the steam storepage and on their twitter hints heavily towards the Dark Elf Medusae which might be a pretty big FLC unit?
EDIT2: I will also add that CA said whatever that is its not coming on the 31st which is kinda weird. So maybe it'll come as another unit for those DLC owners? Geez what a mess this is lol

Jum-Jum fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 18, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jum-Jum posted:

But... that unit was way easier to make than a Kharibdyss. Ghorghon, Skycutter etc.

EDIT: I will add that the teaser at the end of the steam storepage and on their twitter hints heavily towards the Dark Elf Medusae which might be a pretty big FLC unit?
EDIT2: I will also add that CA said whatever that is its not coming on the 31st which is kinda weird. So maybe it'll come as another unit for those DLC owners? Geez what a mess this is lol

Which has also happened before. They gave roster updates to Chaos (adding Forsaken, Manticores etc) and Beastmen (Harpies) in free post DLC updates.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like Turin, will be showing off the DLC and Norsca stuff on Saturday. It's part of a tournament he's running, so sure enough, I guess a bunch of 'tubers have had early access to the game, the fucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlRQHAAFOXo

E: Hopefully CA updates the their future plans chart in full when the patch is out.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 18, 2018

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Fanatical.com has the Q&C DLC for 20% off for pre-purchase if you crazy like me and gotta have it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Jum-Jum posted:

Grace has confirmed the hint is for DLC owners only.

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct

Pendent posted:

hmm maybe because its extremely late and lackluster?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Mordja posted:

Have you watched Partyelite's videos on control and combat mechanics? They're a good intro and include a lot of stuff the game itself doesn't tell you.

I think I might've watched one or two, but I do have PartyElite bookmarked, so I can watch some more.

Don Gato posted:

Dwarves do best when you can shore up your flanks, use artillery to force them to come to you and then use your quarellers to melt the enemy army. Your infantry exists to be the anvil so that the ranged units can blast away at the enemy flanks.

Phoneposting so I can't go into detail, but I think the best strategy is still a front line of solid melee troops with gaps between them, and then ranged troops behind them, like a checkerboard. This way your melee troops don't block your ranged units.

Like so, where W is the melee frontline and R are your quarellers and A is for arty:

W W W W
R R R R

AAA

Something to keep in mind is that quarellers can shoot over the heads of other troops while thunderers need line of sight, but they absolutely destroy armored units like generals, other dwarves, Chaos etc.

I think I kind of got the basics of how to arrange the troops, but the campaign wasn't going so well, so I didn't have any Thunderers or anything real advance after 50 or so turns (Chalk it up to mismanagement or not focusing on improving buildings).

I recorded video of two replays that I saved.

Thorgrim Grudgebearer v. Grimgor Ironhide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=252yynJ_e7g

Fimbur Drakebeard v. Wurrzag Da Great Green Prophet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qdk7aSilfY

The first one I thought went pretty well at first, but the second half seems to be where things fell apart. The second video I tried taking advantage of the hill and building a semi-circle to anticipate attacks from the flank, but the shock cavalry looped around and wrecked the army.

Zudgemud posted:

There are great tutorials on YouTube for the basics of how to play. For most factions it comes down to hammer and anvil tactics, with you having a somewhat solid core of durable frontline guys (the anvil) that hold the enemy in place while your own "hammer" units try to kill or scare off their most dangerous and vulnerable units. What types of "hammer" ubits you have available depends on your faction, for dwarves it is mostly ranged, especially quarrelers for your early game. Your basic strategy is to have a line of durable but mostly harmless warriors hold the enemy in place while you focus fire your quarrelers on vulnerable & dangerous enemies. Remember to keep a couple of spare warrior units around your back line to tackle and hold down any fast moving enemy unit (like cavalry) that tries to disrupt your more vulnerable ranged "hammer" units. Your goal is never really to kill all enemies but to kill enough to start a chain rout. When fighting low morale factions such as orcs killing their leader is thus a priority as this 1. makes the enemy units rout much more easily 2. removes a strong enemy unit.

I probably just need to watch some more of the YouTube tutorials to get a better understanding. I think I grasp the 'hammer and anvil' approach, but it might just be that I lack the coordination to pull it off. Like I said, I'm not very good at RTS games, so when things start getting hairy, I get bad about trying to track everything, and where to move troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Fanatical.com has the Q&C DLC for 20% off for pre-purchase if you crazy like me and gotta have it.

I like the DLC and think it looks cool. So i have no issue with pre ordering it.