Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lobok posted:

[edited for brevity]

That's a dumb, old man take on it but you can't say that social media hasn't fundamentally changed how individuals within society are able to interact with one another on both micro and macro scales

site fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah all the backlash to that panel has maybe not aged well considering that the sitting president does most of his communication with the outside world via social networking, and we're currently getting to watch a racist idiot derail his life in real time thanks entirely to Twitter, and all the other poo poo that's spilled offline into affecting the irl world like doxxing, swatting, radicalization into ISIS or the alt right...

It's a really really big deal, whether it is a net good or not.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That's definitely true but also, social media is still completely irrelevant to a lot of people. The number of people I interact with in my daily life who use or even know how to use Twitter is probably less than five. Facebook is more, but even then, I know plenty of people who don't use it, or used to use it but no longer do, or use it very little.

While the existence of social media has significant knock-on social effects, you don't need to use or understand it in order to experience those effects. They just happen, kind of like how the stock market keeps on influencing society regardless of whether the individuals being influenced are trading stocks or not. In that respect, it's a far cry from physically tangible technological advancements that change what the inside of an average home looks like. I could easily see someone like Cap just being more or less unaware of what's going on with Twitter or what Facebook is.

I bet he'd like Youtube though. It's like a living repository of all the pop culture he missed over the decades. And it's in colour!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lobok posted:

[edited for brevity]

I like the implication of this edit that observing Americans on social media would make Cap abandon his ideals.

Because it's true.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

I like the implication of this edit that observing Americans on social media would make Cap abandon his ideals.

Because it's true.

I thought that was the real one.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

Except whoops Captain America is the nazis. I'd read a comic that was Steve punching himself in the face repeatedly but idk if anyone else would.

Not anymore; that was retconned as actually being an alternate Cap after all, and now Coates put Cap explicitly on the side of Antifa

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Unless something has changed, Nazi Cap is the original body and Good Cap is a construct.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Unless something has changed, Nazi Cap is the original body and Good Cap is a construct.

Not even the cosmic cube can stand against the might of the Retcon™! Just give it time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

I thought that was the real one.

The "Exactly" is supposed to be "Exactly. Never." because she also asks a bunch of other stuff like how many times Cap has watched NASCAR. I edited it down to a snappier three panels only about MySpace.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

The "Exactly" is supposed to be "Exactly. Never." because she also asks a bunch of other stuff like how many times Cap has watched NASCAR. I edited it down to a snappier three panels only about MySpace.

Ahh.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Halloween Jack posted:

Europe and the US aren't more racist than they were in 1998. It was just impossible for you to film a cop shooting you.
I didn't even mention racism.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

I haven't been following Marvel in a long time, is that actually what happened? Kind of like "Peter Parker is the clone, Ben Reilly is the original"?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

I haven't been following Marvel in a long time, is that actually what happened? Kind of like "Peter Parker is the clone, Ben Reilly is the original"?

The living Cosmic Cube (Kobik) changed Cap's history so he was always a Hydra Nazi. She hid his original persona deep in his soul or something. The she felt bad and gave original flavor Steve a new body while Nazi Steve kept the original. They fought, good won but Nazi Cap didn't vanish, he was arrested and tossed in an ultramax prison. They later had a heart to heart talk and the issue ends strongly hinting that Hydra is gonna break EvilSteve out soon.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

The living Cosmic Cube (Kobik) changed Cap's history so he was always a Hydra Nazi. She hid his original persona deep in his soul or something. The she felt bad and gave original flavor Steve a new body while Nazi Steve kept the original. They fought, good won but Nazi Cap didn't vanish, he was arrested and tossed in an ultramax prison. They later had a heart to heart talk and the issue ends strongly hinting that Hydra is gonna break EvilSteve out soon.

Doesn't that make the Good Cap the "real" one if it's the original Cap's mind? You wouldn't say Doc Ock in Peter's body was the real Peter just because it's the original body.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
iirc it gets even looser cuz the cap kobik made was like generated from the memories she absorbed when she overwrote the real steves life or some poo poo. so the new steve is like an idealized construct or something i dunno secret empire was dumb

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wonder if they'll have Deadpool kill Stevil (he's pissed about being duped into killing Coulson) or if it'll be another showdown between the two Caps

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i wouldnt be surprised if stevil shows up in tncs cap run

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

i dunno secret empire was dumb

This is also correct information.

Idran posted:

Doesn't that make the Good Cap the "real" one if it's the original Cap's mind? You wouldn't say Doc Ock in Peter's body was the real Peter just because it's the original body.

Maybe mentally but Evil Cap still has the original body.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wonder if they'll have Deadpool kill Stevil (he's pissed about being duped into killing Coulson) or if it'll be another showdown between the two Caps

Don’t think that’s gonna be a problem anymore after Duggan’s final issue of Deadpool. Deadpool completely wiped his own mind because of all trauma he’d been through and to remove himself from the people’s lives he’d ruined by association.

Also he straight up said he wouldn’t kill him because that would make Steve’s life easier and he still puts the blame equally on his shoulders.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

This is also correct information.

Maybe mentally but Evil Cap still has the original body.

Didn't Kobik give Cap a new body when she restored his youth though (while covertly changing his past)? So technically there is no real Captain America body?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm pretty sure the Steve Rogers that met Kobik wasn't in his original body to begin with. Wasn't there some fuckery involving The Red Skull and a time cube in Mark Waid's old run. Plus whatever Franklin did in Heroes Reborn m

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I always thought Franklin Richards was supposed to be special but after reading four decades of Fantastic Four and X-men comics I realize he's just a big fish in an ocean of reality warpers. Like the low key ones where they don't even know there changing the rules of the universe and live every normal lifes. Has the number of people with powers like Franklin been addressed?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It was also suggested in Secret Empire that Hydra's line (ours is the original timeline, the Allies used a cosmic cube in WW2 to change reality so that Captain America wasn't a traitor and they won the war) might actually be the case. In that case, the "original" Steve was always Hydra, thereby technically fulfilling the terms of Spencer's dumb, "not an imaginary story, it's the really for real Steve Rogers!" hype tweet from forever ago.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm reading the new Avengers issues by Aaron and I have a few questions...'cause I haven't read a marvel comic in a long while.
1) What is up with Thor's arm and golden Mjolnir? In The Mighty Thor he still had the axe and the black armor arm.

2) So, reading this thread, cap is a construct and the real steve is a nazi. That about sums it up? Is falcon still Captain America? Was there a reaction from (in-comic world) regular people about having Captain America be a nazi and then taking the job from the other one?

3)Why is She-Hulk all "Hulk Smash" now instead of how she's always been?

4) How the hell do people still talk to Captain Marvel after the whole Civil Warr II bullshit and how is she in charge of Alpha Flight (which I asume its not the canadian super team but a new SHIELD?

5) What happened to SHIELD?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They haven't really shown how Thor gets a gold arm and golden hammer (it's probably not Mjolnir), but he mentions going to the dwarves to make a bunch of hammers, so it's pretty much just that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Vincent posted:

I'm reading the new Avengers issues by Aaron and I have a few questions...'cause I haven't read a marvel comic in a long while.
1) What is up with Thor's arm and golden Mjolnir? In The Mighty Thor he still had the axe and the black armor arm.

2) So, reading this thread, cap is a construct and the real steve is a nazi. That about sums it up? Is falcon still Captain America? Was there a reaction from (in-comic world) regular people about having Captain America be a nazi and then taking the job from the other one?

3)Why is She-Hulk all "Hulk Smash" now instead of how she's always been?

4) How the hell do people still talk to Captain Marvel after the whole Civil Warr II bullshit and how is she in charge of Alpha Flight (which I asume its not the canadian super team but a new SHIELD?

5) What happened to SHIELD?

1. We don't know yet, we'll probably see it in issue #2 of Thor

2. The Falcon is back to being the Falcon. Most in-universe reaction to Secret Empire has been about the same as the out-of-universe reaction, which is "let's not think about it, it was dumb."

3. Civil War II. Jen's PTSD from Bruce Banner's death (well, "death," since he's back) and her own near-death at the hands of Thanos were sufficiently traumatizing to alter her Hulkishness. Her solo series showed her coming to grips with that and starting to process and overcome it, but I guess Aaron didn't think that was as interesting or whatever.

4. Civil War II ramifications are a lot like Secret Empire ramifications, we try not to talk about that. Also Alpha Flight is now more like SWORD than SHIELD; it's the "defend Earth from outer space poo poo" group. She's in charge of it because... because.

5. It was forcibly disbanded after Secret Empire. Give it a little while and it'll be back, I'm sure, but currently there is no SHIELD.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So is the original version of Nick Fury back, also? I know his son taking over the title wasn't part of Secret Empire but it seems like back to basics is the approach here.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Thanks to the both of you!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

So is the original version of Nick Fury back, also? I know his son taking over the title wasn't part of Secret Empire but it seems like back to basics is the approach here.

OG Nick Fury is currently chained to the Moon as a quasi-Watcher-replacement and is narrating the new Exiles. It's kinda weird.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

OG Nick Fury is currently chained to the Moon as a quasi-Watcher-replacement and is narrating the new Exiles. It's kinda weird.

That is weird. Is the new Exiles good?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

It's only a few issues in, so it's almost too early to say. I'm enjoying it, but I'm not sure how much of that is the book's quality and how much of it is my nostalgia for a title I really loved, so...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think it’s ok. It’s moving at a pretty quick pace right now, which is fun.

I’ve been reading a lot of the secret wars battle world books. Weirdworld 0 by Aaron and Del Munro is gorgeous and the story is a blast. But my favourite issue so far is Hank Johnson, Agent of Hydra. Everything about that issue is amazing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The sleeper secret wars mini was modok assassin

That is weird. Is the new Exiles good?

Eh. I want to like it more than i actually do. It's got some pacing issues and i was really disappointed that the book was advertised with hey look its tessa thompson Valkyrie, but its actually just a regular boring old english speaking asgardian who looks like her

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What's Silk up to these days? Was she in Secret Empire?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dunno about secret empire but last i saw of her she was guesting in Pak's hulk

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

site posted:

I dunno about secret empire but last i saw of her she was guesting in Pak's hulk

Thanks, is that Web Warriors still going? Is/was it any good?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Had to look up what this was. Never read it but it looks like it ended back in 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

Thanks, is that Web Warriors still going? Is/was it any good?

I think the critical reception was a resounding meh. I thought it was alright but it definitely wasn't anything amazing unless you're just craving more of those characters (tbf, craving more Spider-Ham is never wrong)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm catching up with my friend's copies of Old Man Logan. What's this about Hawkeye killing Bruce Banner?

Edit: I mean present day Hawkeye and not Old Man Hawkeye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
NaziCap gaslit banner into thinking he wasn't actually cured of the hulk (which the recent no surrender event retconned into him not actually being cured but anyways), so banner got paranoid and gave Clint a special arrow to kill the hulk. During civil war 2 there was a confrontation between banner and the avengers and Clint thought he saw banner changing into the hulk so he shot him with the arrow