Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Hashim posted:

From reddit:

Parts of Scandinavia and Germania have been filled out since that picture. Also, apparently the map is convex when zoomed out?

Some of the people on reddit were theorising that the grey areas on the map are terra incongnita

*edit* wow what a lovely page snipe

Chalks fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Chalks posted:

Some of the people on reddit were theorising that the grey areas on the map are terra incongnita

No, Johann said it's just either bits of the map they haven't gor round to filling in yet (Spain, Germany) or actual wasteland provides (Russia). apparently some will be colonisable and some not.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 20, 2018

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Would love it if Paradox just kept the Iberian peninsula a wasteland and never, ever filled it in, not even with DLCs.

Just to watch how people react.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think the speculation opens up that the brown makes sense for wasteland not open to civilized living at the time so gray would be terra incognita containing tribes or cities to interact with. Although the grey in north africa and arabia looks a little too extensive even counting reversing 2k years of desertification. Might just be they are interactable with but can only really support tribal living, or might be there's another wasteland pass that needs to be taken.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

After the End won an award at pdxcon. :)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is the grear war mod for vicky 2 just broken forever now?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Glad to see weed has made it in as a trade good.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Nothingtoseehere posted:

No, Johann said it's just either bits of the map they haven't gor round to filling in yet (Spain, Germany) or actual wasteland provides (Russia). apparently some will be colonisable and some not.

Ah cool. Interesting that they build their maps that way, filling it in rather than drawing out the provinces to start with then fleshing out the content within them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well, you literally can't play and test other parts of the game without functioning provinces, so it makes sense to "finish" a core part of the map and then expand out from there. It's the same as an FPS game doing a single-level vertical slice first thing.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

That is a whole lot of provinces and it seems like they are going whole hog on making a vast amount of OPMs* for tribal areas in western and northern Europe. How many names of tribes and their locations do we know of really? I assume that's basically what Paradox has to be doing, digging up lists of Gallic, Germanic and Iberian tribes and settlements and just putting them on the map.

* Or are those maybe multiple tiny provinces? The shot of Neapolis makes me wonder if they are using a kind of Victoria thing where you have state and province and most of the important stuff is done at the state level.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 20, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kulkasha posted:

This, for real. It gets so bad that Caesar's Women can be skipped entirely without missing anything truly important because it devolves into a panegyric. Also the author likes to dwell on Caesar's huge dick, all the damned time.
Basically everything not directly involving Caesar is pretty good, though.

Caesar my husbando

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The termology Johann used is that eavh "Province" like Rome, Capula, etc consists of multiple "cities", each with their own trade good. The first trade good gives bonuses just to the province, the second and beyond can be trades to other provinces to give them a (stackable) bonus. So you csn explicitly send a bunch of wheat to Rome so it has a massive growth rate.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Randarkman posted:

How many names of tribes and their locations do we know of really?

Best case scenario for a random tribe is probably a name and a couple of sentences of description, written by either Caesar or Tacitus. There's going to have to be a lot of guesswork and outright making poo poo up to fill the whole map, but that was also the case with CK2.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Ofaloaf posted:

Congrats! Get hired already!

As for Imperator I really hope there are mechanics for migration and cultural movement/change for all the little tribes. A better version of the Native American system from EU4, maybe.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Chalks posted:

Ah cool. Interesting that they build their maps that way, filling it in rather than drawing out the provinces to start with then fleshing out the content within them.

It's really the only way to do it when you stop to think about it. To draw out provinces you have to do research for the area they're in, finding out what peoples were there and what the important geography was and so on. At which point you might as well fill in everything to do with it at once.

I imagine they flesh out some stuff after the fact, balance values etc and maybe amend older areas if information from a new one impacts it though.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Obfuscation posted:

Best case scenario for a random tribe is probably a name and a couple of sentences of description, written by either Caesar or Tacitus. There's going to have to be a lot of guesswork and outright making poo poo up to fill the whole map, but that was also the case with CK2.

Yeah, I figured as much. Hope they do a better job with names for characters in this one than in EU:Rome. Especially for non-greek or non-Roman countries the name lists in EU:Rome were pretty poor, and even the Greek ones weren't that good. Might be pretty difficult to put together for a bunch of cultures, especially female names.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Ofaloaf posted:

That’s awesome, super happy to hear that!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Koramei posted:

It's really the only way to do it when you stop to think about it. To draw out provinces you have to do research for the area they're in, finding out what peoples were there and what the important geography was and so on. At which point you might as well fill in everything to do with it at once.

I imagine they flesh out some stuff after the fact, balance values etc and maybe amend older areas if information from a new one impacts it though.

I was just thinking that since province borders and size depends on the neighbouring provinces, they must have a pretty good idea of what provinces they're going to eventually end up with in those gaps. Many games would use placeholders for things like that, but I guess their maps support gaps so it makes sense that they'd only add in provinces as they start work on them

You get a really good idea of their progress in fleshing out the game world which is pretty interesting.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's pretty trivial to re-adjust borders after the fact, it's all just in a .bmp file and you paint colors onto it. For some of the really specific borders they might have it following a map they found or based on a terrain feature, but beyond that one bit it could be a mystery. Or they could know what goes beyond to an extent, but haven't dedicated the full time to researching it yet so they cut a hard border where they might know a couple of provinces beyond it into the next area, but not the whole thing.

And yeah the map does support gaps. Aside from the tedium of adding the data files, putting provinces into Paradox games is actually incredibly simple.

e: although with the rumors of it being sorta like a globe this time around I wonder if it's more complicated? Incidentally, maybe this means they could add China later on after all, without it being at a 90 degree angle.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 20, 2018

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Koramei posted:

e: although with the rumors of it being sorta like a globe this time around I wonder if it's more complicated? Incidentally, maybe this means they could add China later on after all, without it being at a 90 degree angle.
It's just a question of projecting a projection back on a globe, isn't it? It's not like adding textures to spheres haven't been solved a long time ago, so they could just be working with an equirectangular map or something. If it truly is a (cut-out of a) globe, I'm gonna take credit for it, based on a concept I posted in a previous thread long ago.

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, I figured as much. Hope they do a better job with names for characters in this one than in EU:Rome. Especially for non-greek or non-Roman countries the name lists in EU:Rome were pretty poor, and even the Greek ones weren't that good. Might be pretty difficult to put together for a bunch of cultures, especially female names.
It's really not that hard coming up with a name list. Here's one for German women:

Sieglinde
Gutrune
Woglinde
Wellgunde
Flosshilde
Brünnhilde
Gerhilde
Ortlinde
Waltraute
Schwertleite
Helmwige
Siegrune
Grimgerde
Roßweiße

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ofaloaf posted:

Congrats! It’s a really good mod!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ofaloaf posted:

Congrats, well-deserved!

What kinda sweet merch did they give you? :v:

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's really not that hard coming up with a name list. Here's one for German women:

Sieglinde
Gutrune
Woglinde
Wellgunde
Flosshilde
Brünnhilde
Gerhilde
Ortlinde
Waltraute
Schwertleite
Helmwige
Siegrune
Grimgerde
Roßweiße

Hmm, isn't it a little anachronistic to use modern-ish orthography like sch, ü, and ß? How did Rome 1 do it?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Magissima posted:

Hmm, isn't it a little anachronistic to use modern-ish orthography like sch, ü, and ß? How did Rome 1 do it?

Here is the germanic female namelist for EU: Rome

code:
Thusnelda Veleda

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'm a little concerned re:rome how actually fleshed out and entertaining it'll be to play the non-empire states. Like, the German tribes aren't going to have many, if any, of the general systems as the Romans do, and the Greeks and etc etc will be different still. It's fairly baseless, but I'd rather it not be a CK2 thing where things straight up aren't playable until you dole out another ten bucks a year later and such.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I think the way they phrased something or other indicates that all tags will be playable, so it's not like they'll be locked out like stuff is in CK2.

There's no way it's all gonna be very fleshed out on launch though, I wouldn't get your hopes up for that. Frankly I don't even see how that's a problem, they can only stretch themselves so far and expansions can fill in the gaps. Fleshing out various regions is like the most reasonable of all forms of DLC for these games, it doesn't add bloat and it means they can give it a level of focus they wouldn't otherwise be able to. Although hopefully it'll be in forms beyond just adding 3 buttons to each "unique" type of government this time unlike how it's been lately in EU4.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
If it's not fleshed out, though, then it's just EU4 with a rebelling army mechanic and

eh?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Given the fact that they dropped the EU name from the title, I'd think they're going to aim to make it fairly distinct from EU4 rather than just being a Rome themed total conversion.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Generic governments doesn't mean it's gonna be identical to EU4, people are leaping to that peculiarly quickly. We already know there'll be characters being given a way more prominent emphasis which already changes a huge amount, and then there's pops and stuff too.

when I said fleshed out I meant more like, I wouldn't expect more than a generic barbarian style of government regardless of whether you're in Iberia or Russia, maybe with some small kind of local flavor but probably nothing expansive until DLC and free patches flesh it out down the line. Not that it's just gonna be a straight port of EU4 or whatever. :confused:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ofaloaf posted:

Cool, good, well deserved :)

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Probably be a CK2-ish situation, where even if they aren't locked out at launch, the mechanics will be the main focus of the first few expansions

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gamerofthegame posted:

I'm a little concerned re:rome how actually fleshed out and entertaining it'll be to play the non-empire states. Like, the German tribes aren't going to have many, if any, of the general systems as the Romans do, and the Greeks and etc etc will be different still. It's fairly baseless, but I'd rather it not be a CK2 thing where things straight up aren't playable until you dole out another ten bucks a year later and such.

In the original there was some way to settle and modernize your tribe to become an actual state like Rome.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Question about the original Rome, how civilized were the Gauls relative to Rome?

e: To clarify; in gameplay terms.

Magissima posted:

You're right. Game better start with everything written in the Old Latin alphabet, then have new letters introduced if Rome conquers Greece. :v:

Koramei posted:

when I said fleshed out I meant more like, I wouldn't expect more than a generic barbarian style of government regardless of whether you're in Iberia or Russia, maybe with some small kind of local flavor but probably nothing expansive until DLC and free patches flesh it out down the line. Not that it's just gonna be a straight port of EU4 or whatever. :confused:
Yeah, like someone said, a better version of the American Indian mechanics for EU4 seems like a decent generic solution for the various barbarians. The dream would be to have barbarians able to exist without territories - basically, having the ability to turn the entirety of their tribal population into an army - march it somewhere else, and then settle, or just run around grabbing loot. Obviously settling inside someone's territory without permission would be seen as a hostile act.

Also, hoping we'll somehow get to control a gladiator rebellion.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 20, 2018

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

im cutting onions, I swear

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, like someone said, a better version of the American Indian mechanics for EU4 seems like a decent generic solution for the various barbarians. The dream would be to have barbarians able to exist without territories - basically, having the ability to turn the entirety of their tribal population into an army - march it somewhere else, and then settle, or just run around grabbing loot. Obviously settling inside someone's territory without permission would be seen as a hostile act.

stateless tags would be great for basically all Paradox games. Nomads in Total War: Attila are basically what you describe and they work amazingly, and I'd love to see stuff like that in other games.

also your question about Gauls is literally the topic of conversation in the ancient history thread over the past day or two: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3486446&perpage=40&pagenumber=666#post484242574

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Koramei posted:

stateless tags would be great for basically all Paradox games. Nomads in Total War: Attila are basically what you describe and they work amazingly, and I'd love to see stuff like that in other games.
Here's hoping Johan isn't afraid to be take a little inspiration from Total War then. :)

Koramei posted:

also your question about Gauls is literally the topic of conversation in the ancient history thread over the past day or two: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3486446&perpage=40&pagenumber=666#post484242574
Thanks, I'll check it out. My understanding heading into it is basically that Gaul was in the process of becoming a proper rival to Rome, so Rome did a preemptive genocidal conquest to nip that problem in the bud.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out. My understanding heading into it is basically that Gaul was in the process of becoming a proper rival to Rome, so Rome did a preemptive genocidal conquest to nip that problem in the bud.

That's nothing I ever heard and not really something you can read from the the actual sources, so whoever is saying that is making a whole lot of assumptions based on very little evidence (they are also assuming that you could speak of any coherent Roman foreign policy in that era, other than a general agreement to further the glory of Rome, and hence establish and maintain hegemony over the Mediterranean world). There was no such thing as a united Gaul. Rome was allied to a number of Gaulish tribes/cities, and Caesar's conquests were not official Roman policy, and widely condemned by the Roman political elite (for instance because he had attacked many people who were Roman allies).

It has however become more and more clear that Gaul was very rich, and had a number of large settlements, some of which might be called cities, and were ruled by what seems to have been some sort of republican system, at least some places.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 20, 2018

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You're right. Game better start with everything written in the Old Latin alphabet, then have new letters introduced if Rome conquers Greece. :v:
Sounds like a good idea to me :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I can’t wait for some crazy bastard to try and start a mega-campaign from Imperator: Rome