Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Coldforge posted:

She's been around the Watershapers for many years; she meets you a few times for a couple minutes. She's obviously a very powerful cipher (more powerful than a mighty Watcher cipher, at least in some respects), and she's pretty big on deceit and guile.

I submit to you that she's lying about a lot of things, and reveals far less of what she knows and what she can do than you give her credit for.

I gathered the exact opposite. Without the Watershapers, she has nothing, and she was terrified to know that something had befallen them. Her shock there was the most honest interaction we had with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

So was the queen confirmed as a Cipher? I didn't finish her storyline but it was never confirmed exactly what was behind her powers iirc. Assume she was a Cipher but idk how that fits into lore.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

derra posted:

I gathered the exact opposite. Without the Watershapers, she has nothing, and she was terrified to know that something had befallen them. Her shock there was the most honest interaction we had with her.

Without the Dragon powering the Watershapers, she has nothing.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Urthor posted:

So was the queen confirmed as a Cipher? I didn't finish her storyline but it was never confirmed exactly what was behind her powers iirc. Assume she was a Cipher but idk how that fits into lore.

It was confirmed in some in-game book I think. It talked about how Huana usually make the badassest warriors the leaders, but the Kahanga tribe is different that they favor the brainier types, and specifically mentions Onekaza being a cipher as an example. Or something to that effect.

EDIT: As another wholly unrelated sidenote, here's another example of Wael being The Best God: https://imgur.com/a/gNbtyD4 :allears: (SPOILERS for what may happen in one of the god group chats if you crossed Wael in PoE 1.)

Nordick fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 21, 2018

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

Good, the imperialists and the pirates and the caste system deserve to own each other, while I deserve to be hailed as the person who single-handedly dealt with the Eothas thing.

Man this is a textbook USA Centrist. Let EVERYONE keep suffering and realize I did the right thing for a moment but the status quo remains anyways.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is it recommended to do all of the factions quests? I'm getting close to done with this playthrough I think, but I haven't done any of the Valian stuff. But it kinda doesn't make sense to go looking for work there given I've mostly been pro Rauatai. Thinking about saving the Valian/Hauna stuff for another play.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Ginette Reno posted:

Is it recommended to do all of the factions quests? I'm getting close to done with this playthrough I think, but I haven't done any of the Valian stuff. But it kinda doesn't make sense to go looking for work there given I've mostly been pro Rauatai. Thinking about saving the Valian/Hauna stuff for another play.

Only if you want to see all the content or you're an obsessive completionist. Play how you want.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

Thinking about saving the Valian/Hauna stuff for another play.

I did this just so that I'd have something new to look forward to on a second playthrough. For similar reasons, I never used Aloth/Tekehu/Serafen either. Never dove down their dialogue trees, never did their personal quests. This way when I replay the game I'll have a bunch of brand new stuff to see.

I mean, I tend to be an obsessive completionist, but I also know I am definitely going to do another playthrough of this game after it gets some patches and this way I'll have some fresh content to see during that playthrough.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Nordick posted:

It was confirmed in some in-game book I think. It talked about how Huana usually make the badassest warriors the leaders, but the Kahanga tribe is different that they favor the brainier types, and specifically mentions Onekaza being a cipher as an example. Or something to that effect.

EDIT: As another wholly unrelated sidenote, here's another example of Wael being The Best God: https://imgur.com/a/gNbtyD4 :allears: (SPOILERS for what may happen in one of the god group chats if you crossed Wael in PoE 1.)

Josh Sawyer leaving Obsidian cannot help the fact the lore is going to become even more inconsistent with almost 100% turnover in the original PoE writing team.

Also holy poo poo that reactivity LUL

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Khizan posted:

Eh, there are two major changes that take place in a factioned playthrough.

The first is that they smash one of their enemies in a naval battle. This affects a lot by breaking that enemy's power, and it can result in factions being expelled from the area or even completely removed from the board.

The second is that the winning faction controls Ukaizo and Ondra's Mortar. That's huge because it gives that faction a massive lever against Rauatai. The Huana can expel Rauatai and Rauatau accepts it, because the Huana can restart the storms if they start getting uppity. The VTC allows the RDC to trade in the area, because Rauatai can't threaten them while they control the storm machine.

Without either of those things, I don't think you really do anything important enough to really swing the direction of the Deadfire in one way or another.

I'll grant you Ondra's Mortar being uncontrolled is a big deal (though I would have at least liked the option to turn on the fog machine again when I leave like Aeldys does if you back the Principi with her leading it), but it's unsatisfying when all the allies and assets you secure/deny for any and all factions are meaningless just because decisive naval battles apparently never happen if a Watcher isn't there to start them. It's a letdown on the reactivity front.

And, yeah, potentially supporting a Principi/VTC deal to trade slaves for mutual benefit or allying the Wahaki with the Queen are, or at least are presented as, important actions that swing the balance of power. It's just not really reflected at all.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nordick posted:

Ah haha I'm glad that I was on Wael's good side.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Coldforge posted:

Only if you want to see all the content or you're an obsessive completionist. Play how you want.

I'm not, really. I did some of the Huana quest line before saying gently caress it because I started leaning towards Rautai since I'm romancing Maia this play. I did end up doing I think every last bounty in the game though. Only other things I really need to do are the cartographer quest and Aloth's. I dunno what even I'm supposed to do with Aloth's though because I've explored a lot of the islands and not seen any Leaden Key stuff.

Khizan posted:

I did this just so that I'd have something new to look forward to on a second playthrough. For similar reasons, I never used Aloth/Tekehu/Serafen either. Never dove down their dialogue trees, never did their personal quests. This way when I replay the game I'll have a bunch of brand new stuff to see.

I mean, I tend to be an obsessive completionist, but I also know I am definitely going to do another playthrough of this game after it gets some patches and this way I'll have some fresh content to see during that playthrough.

The companion quests I plan to finish although I don't know if Tekehu even has one. And Pallegina will probably hate me soon since I'm siding with Rautai but I've barely used her this play so whatever. Plan to use her and shark guy more next play, and Xoti too. Those three have gotten less play since I'm a Wizard/Priest. Aloth has gotten a lot because I still wanted to use the higher level Wizard spells, and Eder is there almost 24/7 because A) Eder owns and B) need his mechanics.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Urthor posted:

Josh Sawyer leaving Obsidian cannot help the fact the lore is going to become even more inconsistent with almost 100% turnover in the original PoE writing team.

Also holy poo poo that reactivity LUL

Wait, what

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

He's taking a break from directing design and isn't involved in the DLCs but I don't believe he's leaving. Just wanting to work on other projects there and not as team lead is the sense I got.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

He's just taking a break from directing games, Urthor is confused. Specifically he'll still be working on balancing for Pillars 2 and it sounds like he might be involved with a couple narrative revisions to the main game, but it's entirely possible he just handed over narrative control and is aware of stuff they're looking at.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Khizan posted:

This is perfect for the factionless ending, imo.

Refusal to accept a less-than-perfect outcome results in no change whatsoever, and so the Deadfire continues its downhill slide. You did nothing and so changed nothing.

Personally, my choice of factions is Rauatai.

IMO, the evilness of their annexation of the Huana depends entirely the value you place upon Huana self-rule. After seeing the Gullet and their whole "No, you cannot give food to the Roparu as an act of charity, even though it would cost us nothing. They've got to live off of our garbage and that is that." thing, I have come to the conclusion that I don't actually value Huana self-rule very much. I had to convince pirates to smuggle food to the Roparu because the Huana were willing to let them starve to death. gently caress those guys.

Their caste system is horrific and their entire way of life is based around it, and the proper response to it is to burn it all down and allow them to be annexed by the Glorious Rauatai Empire. This will benefit the lesser castes, and if the upper castes dislike it they are free to gently caress right off. And this doesn't even get into the fact that they were only clinging to power by leaching off of the soul of an enslaved dragon. Or the fact that they were tolerant of kith slavery as long as the slavers didn't enslave the Huana.

Seriously, gently caress the Huana.
...and's that why the conquest of India by the enlightened British Empire was morally just and resulted in the best outcome for the benighted natives!

Sorry, that's probably flippant, but ultimately all the main 'nation' factions have a poo poo-ton of cultural problems, and the Huana are the only one of the three who aren't trying to conquer a foreign culture and destroy/remold it in their own (flawed) image. A genuinely 'good' ending would be sponsoring the progressive reform faction of the Huana, or creating an alliance of the new blood Principi with the Roparu Revolution, but neither of those is an option so :shrug:

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 21, 2018

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Oh okay, I thought I missed something wild. Nevermind!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Apraxin posted:

...and's that why the conquest of India by the enlightened British Empire was morally just and resulted in the best outcome for the benighted natives!

Sorry, that's probably flippant, but ultimately all the main 'nation' factions have a poo poo-ton of cultural problems, but the Huana are the only one of the three who aren't trying to conquer a foreign culture and destroy/remold it in their own (flawed) image. A genuinely 'good' ending would be sponsoring the progressive reform faction of the Huana, or creating an alliance of the new blood Principi with the Roparu Revolution, but neither of those is an option so :shrug:

The Huana aren't native to the Archipelago. The real natives still live there. Attacked and sometimes enslaved by the Huana.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This place, called Deadfire, is more like, a dumpster fire

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Xae posted:

The Huana aren't native to the Archipelago. The real natives still live there. Attacked and sometimes enslaved by the Huana.
They've been there for.. at least a few thousand years unless I missed something? I guess I meant they don't have a national policy of expansionism and annexing other established nations into their cultural polity like the Rauatai, and to some extent the Vailians, they're still down with crushing internal minorities and nearby tribal groups.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I haven't seen it mentioned here so might as well ask-

Has anyone else had an issue where you'll get the companion wants to talk icon but when you talk to them they have nothing new to say? I think it just popped with Aloth and Maia reaching -1 and +2 respectively but there's no new dialogue.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eminent Domain posted:

Has anyone else had an issue where you'll get the companion wants to talk icon but when you talk to them they have nothing new to say? I think it just popped with Aloth and Maia reaching -1 and +2 respectively but there's no new dialogue.

Yeah I've had it happen a lot. Talking to them makes it go away but I don't get why it's there in the first place. Bug I guess since they don't have anything new to say.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Happened to me, definitely.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Eminent Domain posted:

It's happened to me, but I feel like it mostly happened when I had done something I thought might involve that character and opened dialogue right afterwards and found the dialogue options related to the event and went through them. Then a screen or so later the icon would pop up but the dialogue option wouldn't be there cause I'd taken it already.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

How are people using Ydwin, Cipher or Rouge or both?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Paladin/monk is cool and good in case it wasn't obvious. Gibbing enemies with flaming fists rules, and the paladin tankyness is nice for the early levels where monk isn't too hot.

Edit: also my rogue/illusionist is more immortal than my paladin. I have them using the dagger and wand modals so she never gets hit in melee and she interrupts everything constantly. The sneak attack bonus more than makes up for the reduced damage. Ive also noticed that thanks to specialization there's no reason to use a grinoire.

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 21, 2018

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
Seriously, why does the PC Paladin AI keep using Sacred Immolation? gently caress OFF with that poo poo! Finally figured it out why all of a sudden my main kept dying. Yup, he's been autocasting it. Friendly heads up not to select it as a skill if you want to use the aggressive AI.

edit2: Nasgate suggested making a copy of the aggressive AI settings and then modifying it to not cast the immolation spell. That worked. FYI if you're reading this.

edit: I can see the spell getting maybe getting better once you can get rezzed automatically if you die from it, but until then ouch.

Mizaq fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 21, 2018

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I'm really glad there are some good spears, but I do want to make a complaint about them. Of the three unique spears, two of them are hunting tools, one of which is a hunting tool for a hunter gatherer society. The third unique is a stone weapon from a time pre-dating metallurgy. I know fantasy rpgs have to cleave to western fantasy archetypes, but the "primitive spear" is one of the most annoying. Why can't you just let us have Gungnir?

It's really weird. Wouldn't a spear beat a sword in a fight? Especially once you start getting into fantasy materials so the shaft of a spear is super strong. A spear is the best part of a sword, the pointy stabby bit but now it's at the end of a pole -- so you get to do the danger stuff at distance because the worst part of a sword is getting stabbed by one. Nothing about the spear seems inherently primitive to me, and they seemed quite common in the eras of no-guns combat.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mizaq posted:

Seriously, why does the PC Paladin AI keep using Sacred Immolation? gently caress OFF with that poo poo! Goddamit, I don't want to have to micromanage everything all of the time. Finally figured it out why all of a sudden my main kept dying. Yup, he's been autocasting it. Friendly heads up not to select it as a skill if you want to use the aggressive AI.

Go to ai behaviour, copy the aggressive ai. Delete sacred immolation as an option.

Khanstant posted:

It's really weird. Wouldn't a spear beat a sword in a fight? Especially once you start getting into fantasy materials so the shaft of a spear is super strong. A spear is the best part of a sword, the pointy stabby bit but now it's at the end of a pole -- so you get to do the danger stuff at distance because the worst part of a sword is getting stabbed by one. Nothing about the spear seems inherently primitive to me, and they seemed quite common in the eras of no-guns combat.

Spears are cheaper to make is the main reason. The quick version of why swords are best(assuming equal skill) is shown well by PoE actually. You get the stabby of spears and the slashing of axes. It's not as good at either, but you always have options. If someone is too close, your spear is an unwieldy dagger and lmao if you miss with an Axe you're wide open.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

finally had one of the companions come on to the watcher, and it was Maia. i ended up talking to her bird and hylea heavily implied that Maia was only pretending to care about the watcher so that she could persuade you into doing Rauatai military bidding.

is that correct, or just another example of the gods loving with the watcher? if it's correct then i'm going to make her walk the loving plank, although it would explain why one of her first dialogue questions is "hey hypothetically if someone on the boat wanted to mutiny on you, what would you do?"

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Is the secret to sabotaging Maia's courier quest letting the angry mob kill the recipient?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Nasgate posted:

Go to ai behaviour, copy the aggressive ai. Delete sacred immolation as an option.

Spears are cheaper to make is the main reason. The quick version of why swords are best(assuming equal skill) is shown well by PoE actually. You get the stabby of spears and the slashing of axes. It's not as good at either, but you always have options. If someone is too close, your spear is an unwieldy dagger and lmao if you miss with an Axe you're wide open.

this is why halberds are the best weapons. you have the reach of the spear and you can stab but also slash

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Subjunctive posted:

If all the paths available through those factions are strongly right-leaning, and you're left-leaning, is it centrist to reject those paths on offer?

The Huana are authoritarian left, the Principi are libertarian left, the RTC are authoritarian right, and the VTC are libertarian right.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I'm actually shocked at the amount of people here who are going Rauatai because they're the most obviously evil fascists in a video game since the Legion.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

finally had one of the companions come on to the watcher, and it was Maia. i ended up talking to her bird and hylea heavily implied that Maia was only pretending to care about the watcher so that she could persuade you into doing Rauatai military bidding.

is that correct, or just another example of the gods loving with the watcher? if it's correct then i'm going to make her walk the loving plank, although it would explain why one of her first dialogue questions is "hey hypothetically if someone on the boat wanted to mutiny on you, what would you do?"

It's absolutely Hylea just asking questions, though I don't know if it's intentionally her loving with you so much as it is just her thinking of every possible idea at once and just being kind of flighty

get it

flighty

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Your Parents posted:

I'm actually shocked at the amount of people here who are going Rauatai because they're the most obviously evil fascists in a video game since the Legion.

Call me groggy, but I like making characters with some in-game personality and history that isn't mine. My Pillars 2 character was a stoic/rational ex-slave from the Deadfire who tended to solve problems with force so it made sense to me that my character would side with the well-ordered Spartan empire. I personally don't think that's the best choice for a real Deadfire -- that's definitely and unambiguously working with the Huana -- but it's a video game and there is no real Deadfire. I can do things that I personally think are awful and lovely in my game without them actually reflecting on me.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Mr. Prokosch posted:

It's a common imperialist tactic to claim that the primitives cannot learn, grow, or improve without outside intervention. In truth, colonized peoples were always encountered in a particular moment of their own history, a history the imperialist has no knowledge of or interest in, and therefore believes does not exist and instead institutes an image of perfect pre-contact sameness. We have history, they have tradition. The caste system does not work in an over-crowded urban environment. It likely worked better in small horticultural villages. When you go to Huana villages, you don't see the lower castes suffering like in the city, with the possible exception of a village that's starving due to imperial displacement. If you show how it doesn't work to the Prince, they make very strong efforts towards reform because they don't want their own people to suffer.

It's a different argument entirely to say that they should abolish all class difference and live in a communist utopia. That's not the same as pointing out the inherent injustice of their caste system while ignoring the injustice of our class system. In the game we see foreign merchants and a military occupation masquerading as merchants. We don't see how the other Vallians or the Rauatai treat their poorest regular people. Only the Huana have to actually combat local poverty, and they do so with a little prompting because this is all new to them.

Think of it this way, what is the PC doing? With the Valians everything they do is to aid the exploitation and destruction of a people for the benefit of the Republic's scientific and industrial progress. With the Rauatai you're destabilizing and then conquering a people, leading to their eventual enslavement and ethnocide (if you believe their PR over their actual intentions you were not paying attention, look at what they're doing at Sayuka again with a critical eye). With the Huana you are helping them adapt to a new world while recovering secrets of the past, improve themselves, and deal with outside entities from a position of greater strength to get a better deal for their people. This includes positive societal reforms because they are not frozen, they do not need the "help" of exploiters or conquerors who care nothing for their welfare, they need to learn and grow and they can already do that with more fair relations between their culture and those of the imperial powers.

This post was really good, thanks.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Xerophyte posted:

Call me groggy, but I like making characters with some in-game personality and history that isn't mine. My Pillars 2 character was a stoic/rational ex-slave from the Deadfire who tended to solve problems with force so it made sense to me that my character would side with the well-ordered Spartan empire. I personally don't think that's the best choice for a real Deadfire -- that's definitely and unambiguously working with the Huana -- but it's a video game and there is no real Deadfire. I can do things that I personally think are awful and lovely in my game without them actually reflecting on me.

Same

I don't think anyone's saying "don't go RDC" just "don't go RDC and pretend you're siding with the good guys"

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Xerophyte posted:

The Huana are terrible authoritarians subjugating the natives of the Deadfire, who are wilder races people dismiss as cannon fodder because they're not kith, and the majority of their population, while not overtly slaves, are in no better position than slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I wish doing Principi stuff gave you a cool pirate nickname