Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Khanstant posted:

It's really weird. Wouldn't a spear beat a sword in a fight? Especially once you start getting into fantasy materials so the shaft of a spear is super strong. A spear is the best part of a sword, the pointy stabby bit but now it's at the end of a pole -- so you get to do the danger stuff at distance because the worst part of a sword is getting stabbed by one. Nothing about the spear seems inherently primitive to me, and they seemed quite common in the eras of no-guns combat.

Aside from reach, using a weapon with a long shaft affords more speed and power compared to a sword, and the spear allows attacks at the legs or feet that are hard to defend against with a sword, while at typical fighting distance, a sword is mostly limited to strikes against the upper body. Of course, swords have their advantages too, but those are very hard to replicate in a computer game.

I think the "primitive spear" thing comes from the perception that they were migration age weapons that were outmoded by the high middle ages. But that's misleading, because even if medieval spear designs weren't in common use compared to weapons like pikes, pollaxes, bills and halberds, there were still relatively short polearms focused on the thrust that saw use well into the 19th century. They were just called half-pikes or spontoons instead of spears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
The only rational faction to go with is the (slightly less awful, new blood) Pirates, because they're all poo poo, but at least the pirates don't pretend otherwise :colbert:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Do ship flags make friends and enemies or are they just for looking cool

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Khanstant posted:

It's really weird. Wouldn't a spear beat a sword in a fight? Especially once you start getting into fantasy materials so the shaft of a spear is super strong. A spear is the best part of a sword, the pointy stabby bit but now it's at the end of a pole -- so you get to do the danger stuff at distance because the worst part of a sword is getting stabbed by one. Nothing about the spear seems inherently primitive to me, and they seemed quite common in the eras of no-guns combat.

From total war sense, spears kill things horse sized or better because you can stay further away from the rampaging monsters. In total war, balance goes spears < swords < cavalry < spears < repeating. It kinda makes watching Game of Thrones like nonsense for the lack of spears when they are fighting an army of like all horsemen and then when they have an entire army of spearmen fight off people with swords.

Obv, none of this really applies to poe.

Some reading if you want too
https://www.quora.com/Why-did-the-Romans-use-swords-not-spears

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 21, 2018

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mizaq posted:

Seriously, why does the PC Paladin AI keep using Sacred Immolation? gently caress OFF with that poo poo! Goddamit, I don't want to have to micromanage everything all of the time. Finally figured it out why all of a sudden my main kept dying. Yup, he's been autocasting it. Friendly heads up not to select it as a skill if you want to use the aggressive AI.

Pure paladins right now are a complete waste because Sacred Immolation is so terrible. There's never a reason to use it, and if you want AOE you'd have been way better off rolling a Paladin/Barbarian or even a Paladin/Fighter with that Mob Stance.

Your Parents posted:

I'm actually shocked at the amount of people here who are going Rauatai because they're the most obviously evil fascists in a video game since the Legion.

I went with Rauatai because my watcher was loving Maia and she'd leave if I did other factions. :shrug: My Rauatai support is mostly things I came up with after the fact to justify it as a valid option.

That said, the Huana caste system is terrible and I feel like you could make a valid argument that backing Rauatai and absolutely dismantling it is better than backing another faction and hoping that the Huana will become enlightened enough to break it on their own one day, especially in light of the fact that the Rauatai ending slide is "Those Huana who trade caste and prize-share for Rauataian unity and striving prosper. Others mourn the passing of their queen and see the end of their way of life as a precursor of the doom of Eora.". It's not too hard to interpret that as something along the lines of "For the most part the Huana adapt and do well in Rauatai, but the upper castes still whine about losing their privilege."

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Aside from reach, using a weapon with a long shaft affords more speed and power compared to a sword, and the spear allows attacks at the legs or feet that are hard to defend against with a sword, while at typical fighting distance, a sword is mostly limited to strikes against the upper body. Of course, swords have their advantages too, but those are very hard to replicate in a computer game.

One thing to consider here is that the PoE spear is a one-handed spear that's not being used in a formation, which seems like a sort of unusual use-case for a spear. My gut instinct is that this plays to the spear's weaknesses instead of its strengths, but I've never made a study of this so I could be completely wrong.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Nasgate posted:

Go to ai behaviour, copy the aggressive ai. Delete sacred immolation as an option.

oh nice, thank you hadn't dug into that yet

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

snoremac posted:

Do ship flags make friends and enemies or are they just for looking cool

I haven't played around with them a lot but the Principi flag makes Principi (and possibly slaver) ships no longer attack you, I know.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Aight finally ended the game with my all melee party on POTD/Expert. Setup was Barbarian, Fighter, Monk/Priest, Paladin and Rogue. Hard to gauge the usefulness because of the difficulty, will replay into heavy multiclass once the game gets patched. Other than that, JESUS CHRIST Obsidian great game. It brings a warm smile to play this carefully crafted adventure. I'll post endgame slides now:

Went Castro VTC with Eothas empowering humans after destroying the wheel. I got a great ending where Pallegina returned a hero and when asked for ANYTHING she wanted, she replied "let women enter the order". Way to go girl! We became best buddies and email a lot but sadly his friend Giacolo died because my 5melee party is bad for rescuing people RIP. Decided to do Aloth quest despite not having him on the party and drat that threw some shade on the Aumana, managed to secure a better future for the Roparu tho and Deadfire ended up being employed by the VTC. Eder is my bro, Maia was my girl but we left, at least she didn't die or kill herself, she seems determined to do good. I turned down Xoti because I didn't know she only asks once and she became really good buddies with Eder. I didn't meet anyone else.

All in all I am satisfied with this ending. If poo poo goes bad I'll go back with my 5melee party and pummel everything and everyone unto order and dignity. Thanks again for this great game Obsidian, can't wait for the patch and future DLCS. Golden age of animancy biatch!

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
Just empower your sacred immolation, get your priest friend to use barring deaths door and salavation of time and watch enemies melt to an unkillable flaming monster. Bonus points for a death/fire godlike paladin.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Reading that earlier Josh Sawyer tumblr piece about the reincarnation cycle, I do wonder if they just screwed up in their writing. The Endless Paths make it seem as if reincarnation was always a thing, just not so streamlined as it was made via Ukaizo and the creation of the (second, artificial?) Wheel.Whereas Eothas makes it seem like the Wheel was purely a creation of the Engwithians, which for a setting whose whole conceit is based around reincarnation, is a weird swerve in my opinion, since souls are discrete, if malleable entities regardless.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Aurubin posted:

Reading that earlier Josh Sawyer tumblr piece about the reincarnation cycle, I do wonder if they just screwed up in their writing. The Endless Paths make it seem as if reincarnation was always a thing, just not so streamlined as it was made via Ukaizo and the creation of the (second, artificial?) Wheel.Whereas Eothas makes it seem like the Wheel was purely a creation of the Engwithians, which for a setting whose whole conceit is based around reincarnation, is a weird swerve in my opinion, since souls are discrete, if malleable entities regardless.

It’s entirely possible that Eothas is just a raging, chauvinistic egomaniac.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Coldforge posted:

Waidwen did kinda go nuts.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Aurubin posted:

The game doesn't detail exactly what's going on but that's not the same as a plot hole, we just don't know that much about the details of [Magical Engwithian Spoiler Thing]. Far as I can tell from the game the Engwithians took the pre-existing (natural?) system of reincarnation, made the souls all flow to Ukaizo through Adra-based soul rivers, built a big dam and directed the entire flow to a magical soul water wheel/turbine in order to provide enough juice to run their gods on. Eothas smashed the powerplant, but the Adra vein redirection is still happening and the souls all go to Ukaizo which they didn't before the Engwithians tinkered with the system. For now the souls are being pooled in his big statue instead of passed on to rebirth. He blithely assumes the animancers will fix his mess, because he's a god in a pantheon of assholes and his particular rear end in a top hat domain seems to be a naive and unfounded faith in his own righteousness and in the ability of kith to not gently caress things up.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Doing a second playthrough, as a bleak walker/soul blade inquisitor.

This may not be mechanically the best due to how disposition works for paladins, but I am thinking of a bleak walker that tries to solve things peacefully via intimidation (and some diplomacy if necessary), but only gives enemies one chance at the start to surrender. Once a fight starts, no mercy is given.

In everyday conversation, they are not necessarily dicks, just try to cultivate a reputation so people are less inclined to start fights.

Does that make sense to any of you? I do not think I have seen any bleak walker NPCs in Deadfire, so a little hard to gauge how they are like.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Think I’ll shelve cipher for a second playthrough, not feeling it. How do you stat monks, and should they just stick to fists?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Weissritter posted:

Doing a second playthrough, as a bleak walker/soul blade inquisitor.

This may not be mechanically the best due to how disposition works for paladins, but I am thinking of a bleak walker that tries to solve things peacefully via intimidation (and some diplomacy if necessary), but only gives enemies one chance at the start to surrender. Once a fight starts, no mercy is given.

In everyday conversation, they are not necessarily dicks, just try to cultivate a reputation so people are less inclined to start fights.

Does that make sense to any of you? I do not think I have seen any bleak walker NPCs in Deadfire, so a little hard to gauge how they are like.

That is roughly how I always imagined Bleak Walkers. They are cruel, unflinching and merciless because they want everyone to triple reconsider armed conflict. Not because they think being cruel is good in an off itself ( probably plenty of people who join the order that don't care about the distinction though ). They cultivate their reputation as a tool and once conflict starts they make a point of making it exceedingly brutal, fast and decisive. Point being nobody should have started it and that once its over everyone still standing will not want to restart it again, ever.

Ultraviolence as a deterrent to starting violence or restarting it once its over, giving someone a single chance to not go down the Bleak Walker warpath seems exceedingly in character.

Just remember two things. If someone contracted you to do it, the opponents do not get that one final warning. And if someone contracted you to do it, you do not stop until its done, if the contractor wants you to stop ignore them, if they try to stop you kill them too. If they didn't want you to do your job they shouldn't have hired you to start with, if they regret hiring you afterwards ? Good!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Coldforge posted:

Let's not forget that when Eothas first tried his plan in the form of Waidwen, his reign very quickly turned brutal, and tons of people were killed for having a different faith or opinion from his.
It is certainly impossible that Eothas is just a big rear end in a top hat

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

The game doesn't detail exactly what's going on but that's not the same as a plot hole, we just don't know that much about the details of [Magical Engwithian Spoiler Thing]. Far as I can tell from the game the Engwithians took the pre-existing (natural?) system of reincarnation, made the souls all flow to Ukaizo through Adra-based soul rivers, built a big dam and directed the entire flow to a magical soul water wheel/turbine in order to provide enough juice to run their gods on. Eothas smashed the powerplant, but the Adra vein redirection is still happening and the souls all go to Ukaizo which they didn't before the Engwithians tinkered with the system. For now the souls are being pooled in his big statue instead of passed on to rebirth. He blithely assumes the animancers will fix his mess, because he's a god in a pantheon of assholes and his particular rear end in a top hat domain seems to be a naive and unfounded faith in his own righteousness and in the ability of kith to not gently caress things up.

The first game's whole thing was that the Engwithians, in their search for divinity, found "only a wheel, turning without mercy, grinding our souls into dust."

So unless the above post is correct wrt to the mechanics of it all, it's either a weird retcon or Eothas is loony. Also, the gods make a big to do about how life on Eora would cease without the
Wheel, so possibility of them lying aside, that to me says the Engwithians hijacked the natural process.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Tzarnal posted:

Just remember two things. If someone contracted you to do it, the opponents do not get that one final warning. And if someone contracted you to do it, you do not stop until its done, if the contractor wants you to stop ignore them, if they try to stop you kill them too. If they didn't want you to do your job they shouldn't have hired you to start with, if they regret hiring you afterwards ? Good!

If you're a Bleak Walker in The White March you can accuse the dude who's acting along those lines of perverting the Bleak Walker ideal since he's using your doctrine as an excuse to kill unarmed civilians.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Aurubin posted:

The first game's whole thing was that the Engwithians, in their search for divinity, found "only a wheel, turning without mercy, grinding our souls into dust."

So unless the above post is correct wrt to the mechanics of it all, it's either a weird retcon or Eothas is loony. Also, the gods make a big to do about how life on Eora would cease without the
Wheel, so possibility of them lying aside, that to me says the Engwithians hijacked the natural process.

The people going on (not just in the quoted post, but also over on reddit and the obsidian forums) about this being a retcon have me baffled. Did the concept of myths and unreliable narrators stop existing all of a sudden?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

If you're a Bleak Walker in The White March you can accuse the dude who's acting along those lines of perverting the Bleak Walker ideal since he's using your doctrine as an excuse to kill unarmed civilians.

I'd argue that Bleak Walker intentionally talked a drunk man into giving him an excuse to get his cruelty boner on. The farmer clearly has no clue what he just agreed to ( not asked for, agreed to when offered ) means until it was too late and I can't remember if money was involved but if it was it was clearly nowhere the amount you'd expect for this. Not to mention that this is not the kind of conflict that the order is really supposed to be for. They're mercenaries in wars, not here to settle feuds between farmers.

To tie that back to my earlier post. If someone asks you to retrieve some boar asses from a nearby forest clearly they were not asking you to murder all the boars and the local druid population, Bleak Walkers are people not unthinking mass murder machines looking for an excuse.

If someone asks you to help you end their long standing family feud by assisting in an ambush... you're going to murder everyone of that family in that ambush regardless of how many people beg for mercy or tell you its enough.

Tzarnal fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 21, 2018

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Axetrain posted:

How are people using Ydwin, Cipher or Rouge or both?

Buff/Controller cipher. Her 10 might makes her a poor damage dealer.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Khizan posted:

That said, the Huana caste system is terrible and I feel like you could make a valid argument that backing Rauatai and absolutely dismantling it is better than backing another faction and hoping that the Huana will become enlightened enough to break it on their own one day, especially in light of the fact that the Rauatai ending slide is "Those Huana who trade caste and prize-share for Rauataian unity and striving prosper. Others mourn the passing of their queen and see the end of their way of life as a precursor of the doom of Eora.". It's not too hard to interpret that as something along the lines of "For the most part the Huana adapt and do well in Rauatai, but the upper castes still whine about losing their privilege."

I thought that Rautai were the 'good' ending simply because they're the ones who will actually give food and shelter and help to the Roparu. Huana independence is great and all but they're still held back by their traditions and their inability to adapt to change. All through out the game you basically see that it's the lower castes who are actively working to change their circumstance from trading with smugglers for food to planting seeds despite possible death so your tribe has food for the future.

Even if the Huana do control and rebuild Ukaizo, there's absolutely no indication that life will change for your average citizen since all the benefits go to the leaders at the top.

Sure the Rautai are terrible colonists but at least they provide shelter and stability and you'd no longer be dying of starvation.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Raygereio posted:

The people going on (not just in the quoted post, but also over on reddit and the obsidian forums) about this being a retcon have me baffled. Did the concept of myths and unreliable narrators stop existing all of a sudden?

I'd agree if I felt Eothas had any reason to lie, and he basically independently corroborates what you talk about without the other gods before going to Ukaizo. "LOL SHITS hosed NOW BRO, HOPE YOU DUDES FIGURE IT OUT BEFORE LIFE CEASES TO EXIST! OK PEACE I"M OUT!"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I wish there was a way for The Watcher to get enough power to claim the Deadfire for themselves and become the benevolent dictator that I'm basically envisioning. gently caress it, I don't have a castle anymore, might as well settle for an archipelago. But I guess this isn't a game with wholly good endings, and it's kind of a legitimately difficult choice to choose which of the lesser evils are the best.

Did anybody see any reactivity from letting the adra dragon possess that poor dragon hunter?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How many total items are there that get a bonus from skills?

There's the Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff, the Cadhu Scaith shield,what else?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I sidestepped the issue of trying to force my own modern morality into an 18th century fantasy setting by just roleplaying a racist 1%er from Aedyr who sees colonialism as a moral right and sided with the RDC.

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's a cloak that gets a bonus from History, but I can't remember the name offhand.

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.

Mymla posted:

I sidestepped the issue of trying to force my own modern morality into an 18th century fantasy setting by just roleplaying a racist 1%er from Aedyr who sees colonialism as a moral right and sided with the RDC.

As far as I know, no one in the Deadfire has accepted Jesus Christ as their personal savior, and in fact a great many of them worship false gods. They all deserve to die :unsmigghh:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Xoti's lantern, right?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Re: bleak walker chat.

I like playing most encounters out by warning these idiots not to start something I'll finish. Most of the time it still requires some intimidation. Also, I honestly recommend "Everything is Bad" for Bleak Walker.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Xoti's lantern, right?
The sickle, too

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Picked this up this weekend.

Liking it so far - I made a Rogue / Cypher with very high perception and as much accuracy as I can stack. It absolutely shits out damage, but my issue is that in the big encounters I almost always lose the character.

Is there any way besides the rogue disengagement stuff to make the bad dudes focus on the tank more?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Picked this up this weekend.

Liking it so far - I made a Rogue / Cypher with very high perception and as much accuracy as I can stack. It absolutely shits out damage, but my issue is that in the big encounters I almost always lose the character.

Is there any way besides the rogue disengagement stuff to make the bad dudes focus on the tank more?

stealth. If you don't come out of stealth until after the enemy AI has chosen targets, they'll start by focusing on the guys you have that aren't hidden. And typically once a fight starts enemies will stick on their target. After the fight starts? Priests, Paladins or rogue skills.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

All people are terrible, the correct faction choice is to do the bidding of Rymgard and kill everyone.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've always thought Bleak Walkers were in the spirit of that Tecumseh Sherman quote 'War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it; the crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.'

I started a Shifter / Shattered Pillar and I dunno if this holds up but on the starter island I am tearing through people way better than my other characters. Don't gently caress with a kung fu bear.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 21, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kegslayer posted:

I thought that Rautai were the 'good' ending simply because they're the ones who will actually give food and shelter and help to the Roparu. Huana independence is great and all but they're still held back by their traditions and their inability to adapt to change. All through out the game you basically see that it's the lower castes who are actively working to change their circumstance from trading with smugglers for food to planting seeds despite possible death so your tribe has food for the future.

Even if the Huana do control and rebuild Ukaizo, there's absolutely no indication that life will change for your average citizen since all the benefits go to the leaders at the top.

Sure the Rautai are terrible colonists but at least they provide shelter and stability and you'd no longer be dying of starvation.

Indeed, India WAS incapable of innovating and changing without the white man come to bring about the new age.

You're using textbook irl colonial apologism and the reason the Roparu are starving is because they're being displaced by foreign imperialists in the first plaaaace~

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hahah, I found some Adra Dragon / Falanroed reactivity:

Falanroed can end up as one of the captains of the Principi, if you click the chairs in Furrante's hall and read their backs.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Crowetron posted:

Now I'm trying to decide if I should dive back in with a Principi Monk playthrough or check out Tyranny. That's like the one Obsidian game I haven't played so I'm pretty curious.

I liked Tyranny, play that imo.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I've always thought Bleak Walkers were in the spirit of that Tecumseh Sherman quote 'War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it; the crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.'

P. sure Sawyer said that Sherman was an inspiration for the bleak walkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
No offense to Aloth, but I kind of wish Yseyr the Berathian could take Iselmyr's place.