Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel
May 2, 2009

hholy poo poo lol. dont do this

https://twitter.com/jtahoyle/status/997926983563726848

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Chalks posted:

https://www.whitecase.com/publications/alert/court-confirms-ip-addresses-are-personal-data-some-cases

Best info I've been able to find on it - basically if you have the legal ability obtain additional information that links an IP address to other information required to personally identify someone, then an IP address is personally identifiable information. If you don't (as will be the case in most situations) then it's not. Obviously this is a pre-gdpr ruling so I guess we'll have to wait and see but it seems to be a pretty likely interpretation.

Briefing last week with corporate lawyers, one of whom’ s expertise is privacy law, indicated that if an IP can be tied back or use to infer a person’s identity it falls under GDPR. Since that pretty much jibes with your take, I’d say you’re correct. Regarding IPs, at least from my perspective, I’m going over our logging policies to make sure we’re only capturing what we absolutely need to support our systems and services.

Lawyer leading the (five-loving-hour) briefing did say there’s obviously no precedents set under GDPR yet, but given past rulings this is probably the safest stance to take on data points like IPs, MACs, etc... Also, even though only a minority of our stuff involves the EU, we’re adopting GDPR compliance as a general policy world-wide since who wants the loving headache of dealing with regional operational standards. Of course, we also don’t make money on selling data.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lmao they're so desperate they're resorting to the lowest tier of spammer tricks, this is great

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Chalks posted:

Are we talking about "hey, you're about to leave our website, please give informed consent!" messages every time you click a link that points offsite?

NCSA Mosaic is back in a big way

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Proteus Jones posted:

Also, even though only a minority of our stuff involves the EU, we’re adopting GDPR compliance as a general policy world-wide since who wants the loving headache of dealing with regional operational standards.

this will probably happen anyway, as other countries implement their own similar-but-subtly-different privacy laws

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

lmao they're so desperate they're resorting to the lowest tier of spammer tricks, this is great

punch the opt-in button and win $20*

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i dunno i might be crazy here but maybe ads shouldn't be able to execute javascript

Woah, hold up, next you'll be suggesting that we don't autoplay audio and video in the ads that follow the user as they scroll as well.

Look MALE SHOEGAZE you're a good engineer but you just don't understand what customers want.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hed posted:

punch the opt-in button and win $20*

YOUR COMPUTER MAY BE BROADCASTING PERSONAL INFORMATION

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Woah, hold up, next you'll be suggesting that we don't autoplay audio and video in the ads that follow the user as they scroll as well.

Look MALE SHOEGAZE you're a good engineer but you just don't understand what customers want.

8 out of 10 teens and moms and teen moms prefer when their advertising is targeted, animated, loud and 2/3s of the screen according to our very scientific study done by the very scientific sounding Ad Science Studies center, and i think they know what they're doing, after all they're big data scientists :colbert:

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 20, 2018

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
With loud video ads, we have a 100% click rate on the pause button

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Autoplay video's are so annoying, doubly so when they follow you. Like on CNN.com.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Wheany posted:

With loud video ads, we have a 100% click rate on the pause button

must opt-in to enable pause button

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

a classic, from the bourne ultimatum. i kinda can believe that a CIA laptop would be secured by loving norton...

https://i.imgur.com/mI3Y0xu.mp4

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

also relevant i guess, malwarebytes AU/NZ regional director has been shilling for a probably-scam blockchain start-up:

https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/998150082808680449

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Australian IT people are insanely into crypto

Apparently one branch of our desktop support all bought together when bitcoin was 20k

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

abigserve posted:

Australian IT people are insanely into crypto

Apparently one branch of our desktop support all bought together when bitcoin was 20k

ftfy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've been pretty fortunate in that most of the computer janitors I've worked with have not been crazy libertarian assholes

that said I remember one who I haven't heard from in years but am reasonably certain is probably into funbucks big time because of the kind of idiot he is

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cheese-cube posted:

a classic, from the bourne ultimatum. i kinda can believe that a CIA laptop would be secured by loving norton...

https://i.imgur.com/mI3Y0xu.mp4

it's not running a copy of windows that's 2 major version behind though, so immersion ruined

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/macewan/status/998564299126820865

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Intentional root kits managed by sketchy third parties are a huge security risk??? :downsa:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
how do they get access to that information? It cant be an actual app right, cause that would violate like all of the apple store tos.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it installs a management profile, I believe, like VPN apps.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shaggar posted:

how do they get access to that information? It cant be an actual app right, cause that would violate like all of the apple store tos.

I think you have to give it to them when you sign up for it.

but even then I don't understand how they aren't banned by Apple because they are presumably hooking into iCloud for iMessage, location, and such because I don't think normal MDM profiles have that capability. I presume they just were under the radar.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 21, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

it installs a management profile, I believe, like VPN apps.

does that grant them access to the plaintext password and SMS messages?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I think you have to give it to them when you sign up for it.

but even then I don't understand how they aren't banned by Apple because they are presumably hooking into iCloud for iMessage, location, and such. I presume they just were under the radar.

thats what I was thinking, but what happens if the kid changes their apple password?

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 21, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

does that grant them access to the plaintext password and SMS messages?

I’m not sure what the limits are, tbh

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

thats what I was thinking, but what happens if the kid changes their apple password?
maybe it asks for your icloud password?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the article says the leak contains the child's icloud password which they could theoretically change at any time so would that mean loss of access to everything on the device (through icloud) or are they doing something sketchy to capture the child's password when it changes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

since none of us have actually used the app we've got some serious blind people describing an elephant going on

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
literally the easiest way i can think of capturing someone's changed icloud password would be to throw up a prompt on their iphone telling them to type it in on every failed polling attempt

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
article says that using the app requires that the teen have 2FA disabled so lol on many levels

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Trabisnikof posted:

since none of us have actually used the app we've got some serious blind people describing an elephant going on

When has that stopped us before

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Subjunctive posted:

I’m not sure what the limits are, tbh

afaik MDM lets them force a VPN which could be used for content filtering and monitoring for nonsecure connections but it does not allow for continuous location monitoring or any sort of monitoring of the content on the device. it is mostly there to allow companies to lock down installs, remotely wipe devices, and bypass activation lock so they don't need an employee's appleid to reissue a company phone.

Trabisnikof posted:

eh it is pretty easy to see what they are doing here, what with the need for the Apple ID, plaintext password, and disabling 2FA. they are spoofing a macOS or iOS install logged in to the kid's Apple ID and using the cross device syncing abilities of iCloud to get iMessage activity and probably a whole bunch of other stuff like photos and safari tabs.

as for the kid being able to change their Apple ID password - that assumes they know it in the first place. you don't need it day to day.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

cheese-cube posted:

jason bourne wearing a "not even norton can protect you" shirt

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I can't believe nobody's posted this here yet: Spectre variant 4: speculative store bypass. Confirmed working on Haswell, Skylake, and Excavator (:lol:).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 22, 2018

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
cache was a mistake

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I don’t care, I want my performance!!!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
cache reveals everything around me

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is encryption of swap a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

rjmccall posted:

cache reveals everything around me

• Locked thread