Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I spent most of yesterday and an hour today watching Arumba's tutorial because holy loving severed balls the interface was too unintuitive to figure out anything.

Hopefully enough stuck, and wasn't outdated. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
New map dev diary is out:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-84-renovating-russia.1099537/

I like it! Some of these states always felt too big, the changes are good. And since Romuva are my favorite pagans (after Norse, but I've played those to death), I will likely play my first game in the DLC in this exact region.

By the way, with the huge pagan reformation overhaul, everybody is planning on playing a pagan game first once Final DLC comes out, right? Or do you think the Crusade and unannounced Christian religion changes will make you want to play a more standard game?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Poil posted:

I spent most of yesterday and an hour today watching Arumba's tutorial because holy loving severed balls the interface was too unintuitive to figure out anything.

Hopefully enough stuck, and wasn't outdated. :cripes:

I just started a week or so ago and I found this video useful (and his other videos) for the stock vanilla version of the game at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgcwfLt6sfY&t=20s

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Torrannor posted:

Or do you think the Crusade and unannounced Christian religion changes will make you want to play a more standard game?

This for me, at first. I've always sucked as a pagan because the need to keep raiding gives me RSI

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Torrannor posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-84-renovating-russia.1099537/

I like it! Some of these states always felt too big, the changes are good. And since Romuva are my favorite pagans (after Norse, but I've played those to death), I will likely play my first game in the DLC in this exact region.

By the way, with the huge pagan reformation overhaul, everybody is planning on playing a pagan game first once Final DLC comes out, right? Or do you think the Crusade and unannounced Christian religion changes will make you want to play a more standard game?

My next game I had planned was an Italian Merchant Republic game and going for the Saint Thomas's Dream achievement (Rule an Indian Kingdom or Empire as a Christian and convert all its provinces). Guess I'll wait for the expansion, because the changes to Crusades look exciting. Maybe in the meantime I'll play an Indian game. I do own Rajas of India...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Indian portraits are disturbing. Why are their eyeballs so white?!?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That Works posted:

I just started a week or so ago and I found this video useful (and his other videos) for the stock vanilla version of the game at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgcwfLt6sfY&t=20s
Thanks I'll give that a try as well.

I must be am definitely colossally stupid. :saddowns:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Poil posted:

Thanks I'll give that a try as well.

I must be am definitely colossally stupid. :saddowns:

There's no shame in going into the options and turning the difficulty down to easy while you figure out what you are doing. I don't think it effects events, it just makes the soldier mans part easier.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Seeing as I and probably lots of others started with Old Gods and the collection it came with, Pagans are the standard game.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

The Indian portraits are disturbing. Why are their eyeballs so white?!?

Also why are the females so much paler than the males?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

I once had my court physician cure Rabies by cutting out my eye. Pretty good deal all things considered.

haha yeah, I recall similar situations too, like having an eye gouged out to cure my leprosy. :D But there is a slight chance that you won't lose a body part at all, by taking the extreme treatment option. I remember that there were a couple of occasions where my character apparently swallowed some horrible concoction and I believe also had surgery performed (without losing anything) in one of the extreme events, which cured him of a bad disease. (I guess that's the more positive variant of the event that makes you go insane during an otherwise-successful surgery)

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm having a pretty amusing time playing as Emperor of the Byzantine Empire during the Charlemagne start.

I thought I had it all figured out by the fact that the Emperor was a zealous cruel lord, capable of expanding the Empire with an iron fist and ruling with diligence and malice. I was quite happy to leave my son, with a diplomacy score of 26, to become heir to the throne, figuring that his high diplomatic skills will be advantageous in securing the Empire after i'm gone.

How wrong was I? The Emperor died in his sleep from old age and his son, now known as Leon "The Fat", took over. I'd been so busy expanding territory that I hadn't noticed that my son had been taking the equivalent of a dark age pub crawl across Europe, stopping off at every tavern from Athens to Constantinople. The result was as expected - the man was a drunken fool, his diplomatic skills entirely wasted in wine and song.

Not only that but his excessive drinking had caught up with him - the court physician confirming that his weakening state was not the result of some pox, but of Cancer! His already dwindling chances of having a child evaporated completely. Unmarried and without an heir, his half-brother, a man who had been in and out of prison three times for rebelling against his father, was next in line for the throne.

Predictably a faction grew, believing this half brother to be the better choice of leader over the Empire. Leon had just enough time to be propped up by some sort of miracle tea from his physician when the letter came, demanding he relinquish the throne. What with Leon having very little attributes of significant worth in martial or intrigue, he pitilessly relinquished the throne and became King of Greece.

It turns out the Kingdom of Greece is a pretty big one and Leon, being fat and rather dumb, didn't realise that the revolting vassals that had forced him out of power, only made up a very small section of the Empire. He immediately declared war against his half brother to retake the throne!

A bloody civil war ensued, with The Fat doing fairly well staying alive long enough to almost the win the war. That is until one day strolling through the meadows he found himself being attacked by archers and suffering an arrow to the face. The war ended inconclusively.

This is where it gets confusing. The Fats heir was no longer his half brother, who had usurped the throne and become Emperor, but rather his other half brother (I forget his name as of writing), a diligent, brave military leader with good stats and a strong army.

Another war began, the two brothers fighting over who would become Emperor. This was answered very quickly when my character proceeded to lob off the head of the Emperor in a battle outside Constantinople. With no children, brothers or anyone else of significant worth, the heir to the throne of the Byzantine Empire became...well, me! The very same person who had decapitated his brother in war.

The war ended, the armies returning home scratching their heads and muttering to themselves.

And that's how I lost and regained the Byzantine Empire in the space of a year.

:downs:

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

I loving love this game.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I fought the Swedes, so do they call me Erkki the Swede-slayer? No!

I brought Christianity to Finland, so do they call me Erkki the Apostle? No!

I wrote a book, so do they call me the Erkki the Author? No!

But you get that one bullshit drinking event from Conclave...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I fought the Swedes, so do they call me Erkki the Swede-slayer? No!

I brought Christianity to Finland, so do they call me Erkki the Apostle? No!

I wrote a book, so do they call me the Erkki the Author? No!

You're a Finn, so I have to imagine that's the standard nickname.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Neltharak posted:

I loving love this game.

Me too. The stories are just the best. :allears:

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I'm having a blast with the new AtE fork, but I miss a lot of the little touches like better plots and coronations, are there sub mods on the workshop that represent those features? I'm playing a pirate brethren family in a South American merchant republic, and I'm missing the chance to swordfight to the death or kidnap my competition.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I'm an idiot and have no idea what the Jade Empire/China stuff does. This has normally not been a problem as I was playing in Italy but the following happened:

1. Mongols conquered Byzantium.
2. Mongols conquered Sicily.
3. Mongols wanted to conquer me so I swore fealty to them.
4. A few decades later and now I'm part of the Western Protectorate?

Do I really need to know what is going on with the Mongols and China? Will declaring independence be different (or cause me more grief) now that it's the Western Protectorate? I'm just trying to set up one of my younger sons as the Byzantium King so I can have my dynasty split into Catholic and Orthodox kingdoms so we can unite and kick those drat Aztecs out of Iberia and Scandanavia, but if there are fun things to do with China that could be a fun path too.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

I once had my court physician cure Rabies by cutting out my eye. Pretty good deal all things considered.

Rabies is one of the few diseases where cutting a limb off can actually help. It spreads through the nerves and is incredibly slow.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Gantolandon posted:

Rabies is one of the few diseases where cutting a limb off can actually help. It spreads through the nerves and is incredibly slow.

If symptoms pop up you're done, though

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Voodoofly posted:

I'm an idiot and have no idea what the Jade Empire/China stuff does. This has normally not been a problem as I was playing in Italy but the following happened:

1. Mongols conquered Byzantium.
2. Mongols conquered Sicily.
3. Mongols wanted to conquer me so I swore fealty to them.
4. A few decades later and now I'm part of the Western Protectorate?

Do I really need to know what is going on with the Mongols and China? Will declaring independence be different (or cause me more grief) now that it's the Western Protectorate? I'm just trying to set up one of my younger sons as the Byzantium King so I can have my dynasty split into Catholic and Orthodox kingdoms so we can unite and kick those drat Aztecs out of Iberia and Scandanavia, but if there are fun things to do with China that could be a fun path too.

Western Protectorate isn't too bad. You can still attack any other member of the western protectorate. You get a defensive regiment you can raise whenever you are attacked (unless attacked by another member of the WP or china). They do take half your income though. It's best to wait until china is in some trouble before declaring independence, if they are having a famine, plague, or unrest they won't try to stop you from leaving.

If you click on the little dragon next to the minimap you can interact with china. By being in the WP you'll be automatically getting grace every month, you can get more by sending a concubine or eunuch, or going on a kowtow. The kowtow event chain is good if you have the spare prestige for it, you can get opportunities to acquire Chinese artifacts and maybe get a stat increase. Grace can be exchanged for valuable prizes.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I am still fairly bad at this but finally got into a position where I could at least claim myself as the "King" of Ireland.

Only while doing so some kind of strange war broke out and now I have the "Kingdom of Iraq" with the Duchy of Baghdad right next to me as a part of the emirate of Basra?

I feel like I am doing something wrong.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Did you join a Crusade?

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

General Probe posted:

Did you join a Crusade?

Not from memory. Also, its no longer the kingdom of Iraq (Which was apparently in some way ruled by the scottish) it is now a part of scotland apparently.

Scotland is no longer scotland but owned instead by the scottish revolution. Its been a confusing few hours of play, at one point I was at war with so many
people at once, with so many demands coming in at once and that I just decided gently caress it and went with it.

Good times all around.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Facebook Aunt posted:

Western Protectorate isn't too bad. You can still attack any other member of the western protectorate. You get a defensive regiment you can raise whenever you are attacked (unless attacked by another member of the WP or china). They do take half your income though. It's best to wait until china is in some trouble before declaring independence, if they are having a famine, plague, or unrest they won't try to stop you from leaving.

If you click on the little dragon next to the minimap you can interact with china. By being in the WP you'll be automatically getting grace every month, you can get more by sending a concubine or eunuch, or going on a kowtow. The kowtow event chain is good if you have the spare prestige for it, you can get opportunities to acquire Chinese artifacts and maybe get a stat increase. Grace can be exchanged for valuable prizes.

Thanks. Guess I'll open up that little tab that I had completely forgotten about.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I always take the dice roll against death because gently caress that event. Dying drunk on your back is how plenty of great people have gone out.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I definitely need some help in my current game. One of my dukes has been pretty expansionist, and now owns probably two duchies worth of territory. His son, who somehow is already a duke is set to inherit. How can I crush this family before they inherit half my kingdom and probably have more man power then me.

Just kill until there are no heirs left? I was doing some plots so I could throw is rear end in jail and revoke his land, but my king got maimed and bit it before I could win his revolt.

Edit: Oh for fucks sake. This guy is gonna out live my dynasty. My next king got sick and died after less then a year. Think I may be hitting a death spiral.

One thing I have never been able to figure out is how to crack England when playing on newbie Island.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 24, 2018

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

I definitely need some help in my current game. One of my dukes has been pretty expansionist, and now owns probably two duchies worth of territory. His son, who somehow is already a duke is set to inherit. How can I crush this family before they inherit half my kingdom and probably have more man power then me.

Just kill until there are no heirs left? I was doing some plots so I could throw is rear end in jail and revoke his land, but my king got maimed and bit it before I could win his revolt.

Well, there are a few ways around it. If you don't mind a vassal opinion penalty, you could try arresting him and (assuming the arrest attempt fails) imprison him after winning the ensuing revolt. After that, IIRC you can take one title off him, without any further penalty.
However if that opinion penalty doesn't sound too appealing, you could also set the intrigue focus and try digging up dirt on the father and son, to justify imprisoning them and stripping them of a title, before releasing them and repeating the process. (If necessary)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

How stable is your realm? If it is doing well, I'd say either spy on the son, then arrest him and simply keep him jailed forever or fabricate a claim on him, then revoke it. He'll probably revolt and then you can keep him in the dungeon the rest of his natural life.

Enforce gavelkind on the dad? Does he have many sons? Marry the son, meaning that he can't join factions against you due to the non-aggression pact?

Plot to revoke anything of theirs you can, too.

Major Isoor posted:

Well, there are a few ways around it. If you don't mind a vassal opinion penalty, you could try arresting him and (assuming the arrest attempt fails) imprison him after winning the ensuing revolt. After that, IIRC you can take one title off him, without any further penalty.
However if that opinion penalty doesn't sound too appealing, you could also set the intrigue focus and try digging up dirt on the father and son, to justify imprisoning them and stripping them of a title, before releasing them and repeating the process. (If necessary)
Lol, pretty much the same advice I give, but don't underestimate the power of just keeping them imprisoned forever.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Enforce gavelkind on the dad

Oh yeah, I always forget about this ability! I oughta use it more too, as it's quite a useful way of splitting up big vassals.
(Probably should've done it in my last game, with my immortal king...would've made things a bit easier, that's for sure)

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Major Isoor posted:

Oh yeah, I always forget about this ability! I oughta use it more too, as it's quite a useful way of splitting up big vassals.
(Probably should've done it in my last game, with my immortal king...would've made things a bit easier, that's for sure)

That's genius. If I can get out of regency before he croaks I will give that a shot. Maybe the third time is the charm for putting him down?

Edit: this game is cursed. Who gets chest pains at 8 years old?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 24, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Demon_Corsair posted:

That's genius. If I can get out of regency before he croaks I will give that a shot. Maybe the third time is the charm for putting him down?

It might be nothing. Sometimes you just get random symptoms that turn out not to be serious diseases and they just go away after a while.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

Tbh, I'm just glad that the childhood leukemia has been toned down slightly since the introduction of Reapers Due

Oh and I forgot about joining the assassins to have him kidnapped, you can join the Satanists too but I don't hold with such tomfoolery.

Also hot drat am I set up for them making pagans better. Who wants to guess if they have decided to focus on West African Pagans????

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

insidius posted:

Not from memory. Also, its no longer the kingdom of Iraq (Which was apparently in some way ruled by the scottish) it is now a part of scotland apparently.

Scotland is no longer scotland but owned instead by the scottish revolution. Its been a confusing few hours of play, at one point I was at war with so many
people at once, with so many demands coming in at once and that I just decided gently caress it and went with it.

Good times all around.

Well after all, he's nae Edward Canmore.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

WMain00 posted:

I'm having a pretty amusing time playing as Emperor of the Byzantine Empire during the Charlemagne start.

I thought I had it all figured out by the fact that the Emperor was a zealous cruel lord, capable of expanding the Empire with an iron fist and ruling with diligence and malice. I was quite happy to leave my son, with a diplomacy score of 26, to become heir to the throne, figuring that his high diplomatic skills will be advantageous in securing the Empire after i'm gone.

How wrong was I? The Emperor died in his sleep from old age and his son, now known as Leon "The Fat", took over. I'd been so busy expanding territory that I hadn't noticed that my son had been taking the equivalent of a dark age pub crawl across Europe, stopping off at every tavern from Athens to Constantinople. The result was as expected - the man was a drunken fool, his diplomatic skills entirely wasted in wine and song.

Not only that but his excessive drinking had caught up with him - the court physician confirming that his weakening state was not the result of some pox, but of Cancer! His already dwindling chances of having a child evaporated completely. Unmarried and without an heir, his half-brother, a man who had been in and out of prison three times for rebelling against his father, was next in line for the throne.

Predictably a faction grew, believing this half brother to be the better choice of leader over the Empire. Leon had just enough time to be propped up by some sort of miracle tea from his physician when the letter came, demanding he relinquish the throne. What with Leon having very little attributes of significant worth in martial or intrigue, he pitilessly relinquished the throne and became King of Greece.

It turns out the Kingdom of Greece is a pretty big one and Leon, being fat and rather dumb, didn't realise that the revolting vassals that had forced him out of power, only made up a very small section of the Empire. He immediately declared war against his half brother to retake the throne!

A bloody civil war ensued, with The Fat doing fairly well staying alive long enough to almost the win the war. That is until one day strolling through the meadows he found himself being attacked by archers and suffering an arrow to the face. The war ended inconclusively.

This is where it gets confusing. The Fats heir was no longer his half brother, who had usurped the throne and become Emperor, but rather his other half brother (I forget his name as of writing), a diligent, brave military leader with good stats and a strong army.

Another war began, the two brothers fighting over who would become Emperor. This was answered very quickly when my character proceeded to lob off the head of the Emperor in a battle outside Constantinople. With no children, brothers or anyone else of significant worth, the heir to the throne of the Byzantine Empire became...well, me! The very same person who had decapitated his brother in war.

The war ended, the armies returning home scratching their heads and muttering to themselves.

And that's how I lost and regained the Byzantine Empire in the space of a year.

:downs:

seems pretty accurate to real life byzantine politics tbh

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

Well after all, he's nae Edward Canmore.

I wonder if they have elephants.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Whorelord posted:

seems pretty accurate to real life byzantine politics tbh

I disagree that's much more English politics or maybe French. Not nearly enough eyes being plucked out for byzantine

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I walked across burning coals, was cured of my Gout and became Brave and Zealous. Then a year later, my eldest, most useless son was beaten to death by a mob in his wife's province, leaving his brother - betrothed to a Princess of the Arabian Empire - as my heir.
Something awful is going to happen soon, I can tell.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I've noticed this game has an unusually high number of abandoned mods. There are mods like the updated duel engine which was working with almost any overhaul until last year. I wonder if that will be a problem in the long term with this game, that a lot of the well thought out tweak mods are going to get lost in the shuffle after DLC updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I've noticed this game has an unusually high number of abandoned mods. There are mods like the updated duel engine which was working with almost any overhaul until last year. I wonder if that will be a problem in the long term with this game, that a lot of the well thought out tweak mods are going to get lost in the shuffle after DLC updates.

There are currently a metric ton of DLCs and it came out in 2012. Define "long-term"...

It's really not that unusually high.

• Locked thread