Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is your job bullshit
Yes
No
I don't know
View Results

• Locked thread
The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Smythe posted:

i think the moral here is, and im going to fence sit a bit here:

of course, it's good on the micro. it was good for you, your parents, and such. its good on the individual basis. peoples lives are drastically changed when modern medicine can intervene on their behalf.

however, on the macro scale, does a couple dead elderly people matter to soceity? well, probably not much in the grand scheme of things. as they age and become more feeble, and require more medicine to prop up, it is arguable that their previous interventions were a net loss.

of course, this line of thinking can quickly snowball into trite internet nihilism "why save anyone?" "nothing matters" and i don't mean it like that.

my father had a big rear end stroke and got hella hosed up but the brilliant neuro team saved his life and i am forever grateful. i love my father and him being alive is a source of great joy for me every single day, one more moment to cherish, one more smile to share, one more laugh to have. i truly understand. but at the same time, i think a sober reflection on distribution of resources is worthy of our time. is my families happiness worth so much?

I mean, that is a big question and the beginning of a debate on the '"quality of life" in the medical community that addresses exactly what you are talking about. If an old person is in constant pain and only has watching TV to look forward to for the rest of their days as they get more and more bedsores, people are talking about encouraging the patient to go on palliative care, where you get a gently caress-off load of opiates and go out with the most fun/comfortably numb. Totally going to grab that one with as many working limbs as I got when I'm fuckoff old and have lost my mobility/started losing my mind. So even when dealing with the elderly at the end of life, there is still a role for medicine to play. Because gently caress Yes am I willing to go out on an opiate bender.

And really, the resources to save your dad aren't *that* much in terms of material resources. We artificially restrict the number of neurologist, medical drugs, and equipment to keep the paychecks large for certain people. Like the unit cost of production for (pretty much any) given drug treatment, after the FDA testing is usually measured in a few dollars to a few cents. Physical inputs to medicine are cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
State civil servant that worked my first 14 years in a forensic psychiatric center. I routinely interacted with serial killers, pyromaniacs, child-killers & the states most dangerous, unstable famous dingbats. I was younger, liked to fight & found these patients endlessly fascinating. I was routinely mandated for overtime 3x a week. Guys on the midnight shift gave up their day jobs because OT money was too good to not do.

Then I transferred to a facility much, much different. I do 1/10 of the work with near 0 risk with weekend & holidays off.

Now I'm within 21 months till retirement with a pension & a bloated deferred-compensation plan (401k). I unofficially start to DGAF sometime next year.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

I mean, that is a big question and the beginning of a debate on the '"quality of life" in the medical community that addresses exactly what you are talking about. If an old person is in constant pain and only has watching TV to look forward to for the rest of their days as they get more and more bedsores, people are talking about encouraging the patient to go on palliative care, where you get a gently caress-off load of opiates and go out with the most fun/comfortably numb. Totally going to grab that one with as many working limbs as I got when I'm fuckoff old and have lost my mobility/started losing my mind. So even when dealing with the elderly at the end of life, there is still a role for medicine to play. Because gently caress Yes am I willing to go out on an opiate bender.

And really, the resources to save your dad aren't *that* much in terms of material resources. We artificially restrict the number of neurologist, medical drugs, and equipment to keep the paychecks large for certain people. Like the unit cost of production for (pretty much any) given drug treatment, after the FDA testing is usually measured in a few dollars to a few cents. Physical inputs to medicine are cheap.

Yup, what we actually use to stabilize the majority of people are incredibly cheap when it comes down to the raw inputs. The thing is medicare/medicaid isn't allowed to negotiate on the price. It pays for medication and services so it's a huge profit center keeping the elderly on life support regardless of their QoL. The staff does try to talk to family members about QoL issues, but they often don't respect their family members wishes and override it especially in dementia cases where their parent is often in an altered mental status.The first time a patient asks you to end their suffering sticks with you, but their codependent adult children have their PoA, there isn't much you can do unless you want to get the hospital sued and fired.

There's also issues where a lot of people can't self actualize changes in their lives that are equally frustrating. You often run into people in the cardiac PCU post-op for heart stints, who then have their family members bring them Big mac, large fry and a large soda right after they get out of surgery. I'm so glad I'm no longer working in a hospital.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 20, 2018

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My job is good. It pays 45 dollars an hour and I find it pretty enjoyable

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
My computer toucher job is related to assisting social programs and NGO's/Charities. It is nice to not have it all about globalised profits.
I've also done work rolling out comms infrastructure to remote areas and support for smaller/medium business (medical practices, builders etc) where I could see tangible benefits of my efforts.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm one of three people who builds and services a piece of test equipment used to keep nearly all of the world's RF and microwave antennas working properly, we have like one other competitor in the field and their product is a joke, so ours is used almost everywhere antennas exist. I genuinely enjoy what I do and feel like it benefits humanity in some small way but the pay isn't great for the amount of profit I and my teammates generate for our company. I think there is some truth to that article regarding the jobs people enjoy doing vs. the jobs that pay really well.

d0s fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 20, 2018

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I'm a teacher, a non bullshit job. I replace teachers who are on sick leave, sometimes because they're pregnant, but most of the time it's because of work-related depression. Currently looking for a cushy, very bullshit job because I can't take it anymore. :)

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I have a very important job to my company, but my company is in an incredibly dumb and wasteful industry (cruise lines). At least I got to travel the world for free.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There are a bunch of railroad jobs opening up soon.
Working for the NTSB wouldn't be too bad, I suppose.

Training is free, pay starts at 70K but you're away from home 50% of your time.
It's a huge lifestyle shift but if you can do it, do it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I do product management and enterprise implementation for a software company in the healthcare industry. I set up hospitals and clinics EMR system. The Electronic Medical Record allows Docotors, Nurses and Clinicans a unified platform to perform evaluations, record and analyze results, manage pre-admissions pipelines including referral networks, handle outcomes measurements and generally render care.

I guess it kind of matters but not really.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Beats starving op

CAN NOT PUKE
Nov 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Waroduce posted:

I do product management and enterprise implementation for a software company in the healthcare industry. I set up hospitals and clinics EMR system. The Electronic Medical Record allows Docotors, Nurses and Clinicans a unified platform to perform evaluations, record and analyze results, manage pre-admissions pipelines including referral networks, handle outcomes measurements and generally render care.

I guess it kind of matters but not really.

This doesn't matter and makes healthcare worse. It forces them to make a record that is like 99% bullshit and detracts from meaningful patient care lol.

CAN NOT PUKE
Nov 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
sometimes i look back on my days of working in an office and have a laugh.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

My job rulez

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
I'm a special ed teacher. Not the kind you are thinking of, like downs kids or "retards", but the guys that deals with kids who tell teachers to gently caress off and skip class to vape hash oil in the bathroom. The haven't done anything in school since 3rd grade, just had a succession of teachers trying to get rid of them or get someone else to deal with them, now they are 16, have no academic skills, and are insufferable pricks (really they are decent deep down; society has failed them and created monsters)

It's very difficult and emotionally exhausting. I'm currently trying to get a bullshit office job :)

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

what do you do

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

proctorbot posted:

I'm a special ed teacher. Not the kind you are thinking of, like downs kids or "retards", but the guys that deals with kids who tell teachers to gently caress off and skip class to vape hash oil in the bathroom. The haven't done anything in school since 3rd grade, just had a succession of teachers trying to get rid of them or get someone else to deal with them, now they are 16, have no academic skills, and are insufferable pricks (really they are decent deep down; society has failed them and created monsters)

It's very difficult and emotionally exhausting. I'm currently trying to get a bullshit office job :)

Ah I know a guy who can calm them down for you his name is Nooner and he is very discreet and he helped me with my problem :x he will help you too

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
im at work making a difference right now, are you?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I'm kinda chilling in my office cuz I'm tired and Mondays are maintenance days so not a lot of equipment is running. I have some lighting upgrades I could do but they take me about 2 hours to do solo and in an hour, I have a servo drive to change out.

I also have a maintenance checklist for our reel stands so I'll probably go check out another 8 or 9 of them and fix any broken bits tomorrow morning.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

cannot pake posted:

This doesn't matter and makes healthcare worse. It forces them to make a record that is like 99% bullshit and detracts from meaningful patient care lol.

This data will be used to train the neural networks that will replace most doctors soon, once we get a few laws changed. He's doing good work

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I’m in my office looking for new jobs. That railroad one discussed above is piquing my interest tbqh.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Magnitogorsk. posted:

This data will be used to train the neural networks that will replace most doctors soon, once we get a few laws changed. He's doing good work

this would go faster if we replaced the patients with neural networks instead

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Kuato posted:

I’m in my office looking for new jobs. That railroad one discussed above is piquing my interest tbqh.

id figured you'd be interested in trains, kuato ;)

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

So I’m a sales rep for a paint manufacturer and the entirety of my day involves standing around a big-box Home Improvement retailer telling bored housewives “yes miss, that blue absolutely goes with that gray. Eggshell is a good finish for a living room”. I’m supposed to be dealing with contractors and property managers and whatnot but they already have their poo poo handled so to pass time I do the job of someone who gets paid less than half of me. And because I do that job the people hired to fulfill that duty sneak away to jerk off in the bathroom and get drunk in their cars.

The majority of my time is spent reading the forums on my company iPad and stepping out for smoke breaks. My position is literally useless but it’s better pay and 1/3 of the stress of my old job managing a competitors paint store. The worst part of this job is definitely dealing with the general public.

So yea my job is absolutely bullshit. I leave in three months to start an apprenticeship for the NYC stagehands union which is the work that I do when I can get off from this soul-crushing hellscape and is 100% more fulfilling and interesting.

I mean, last year I took a week off to help build this set:

Which millions of people watched on TV and I made more money in three long, hard days than I make in two weeks selling paint. It is tremendously difficult for me to give a single gently caress about my day job at this point.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

If given a day I'm pretty sure I could set up software that does 50% of my job.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
Read somewhere about an American expat mother in a Scandinavian country who had the option of going back to work at 40% of the week or something like that.

What I find interesting is this idea between "work lots and lots of hours" and optimal productivity going hand in hand in NA/GB cultures. I get to Friday and I am burnt the gently caress out. I'm burnt the gently caress out on Monday afternoon, right now, knowing I have the rest of the week ahead of me.

Spend a lot of time thinking, man, I just wanna do something meaningful like go hike a loving mountain with the person I love. We have so little time; even less than most people do with their loved ones. It would be amazing to have a reduced work week and have so much more time together.

I work tech support trying to keep the amount of in-person techs going out to see our machines by solving things over the phone. It's all about saving money but no one wants to troubleshoot over the phone when they pay for service technicians and I'm keeping their productivity down twofold by having the secretary work on the broken machine. My job would feel much less pointless if I was just dispatching and keeping the customer happy, really.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
When people ask what I do I tell them I work for a small pharma company that is developing and trialling one of the few real treatments for Alzheimer's disease and is gonna be some real hot poo poo and make a difference to so many people's lives to boot.

I don't tell them what I do for said company, however (because it is bullshit).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nooneofconsequence posted:

If given a day I'm pretty sure I could set up software that does 50% of my job.

so why not do that and get paid to do 50% less work? don't tell anyone obviously

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
work ended early, im home now :)

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Does anyone use a time clock here? I have an absentee boss so I’m pretty sure I could quit showing up to work for months and he wouldn’t even notice.

Only reason I consistently go to work is to get away from the family.

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

Kuato posted:

Does anyone use a time clock here? I have an absentee boss so I’m pretty sure I could quit showing up to work for months and he wouldn’t even notice.

Only reason I consistently go to work is to get away from the family.

My boss manages over 40 stores. It’s physically impossible for him to check up on me more than once a month.

I punch a clock on my phone, and get tagged by GPS so show where we are. The “rule” is that when a manager sees your “punch map” the store must be visible when fully zoomed in. The smallest scale of that map is half a mile so I clock in from the bagel shop across the street almost daily.

One of my coworkers said that boss man was at his store that day. I clocked in, turned around, and got my oil changed. No one knew the wiser

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham

foonykins posted:

I punch a clock on my phone, and get tagged by GPS so show where we are. The “rule” is that when a manager sees your “punch map” the store must be visible when fully zoomed in. The smallest scale of that map is half a mile so I clock in from the bagel shop across the street almost daily.

Just spoof your location while you're at home jacking off

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
im fuckin gay gently caress you

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
sorry retail here im sorry

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I'm a stupid slime with an ugly efac and a bigslimeand my butt smells and...I like to kiss my own slime ut

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Rozzbot posted:

Just spoof your location while you're at home jacking off

cmon fellow kango, spoof

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
bend pins 9 and 10

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
spinachh is wonder food need to re a

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
20 sided regular dice but pink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Making my way through the Bulldog Jobs audiobook now and it’s p good. Lots of funny anecdotes and apt comparisons with jobs in the feudal age. Neo feudal corporatism is great

• Locked thread