Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

raditts posted:

hey guys, I haven't played this game in like 2 months, is there any point in coming back or has the player base eroded to the tryhards who will combo me into oblivion

play blazblue xtag battle instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Ultramega posted:

play blazblue xtag battle instead

Yes that game that's out right now.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Why do you gotta be like that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Dd0EaEbqg

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

loving dork.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Cross tag really did highlight my few grievances with dbfz, notably lack of defensive options and time for matches.

Still love it though.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 22, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chaotic Flame posted:

Cross tag really did highlight my few grievances with dbfz, notably lack of offensive options and time for matches.

Still love it though.

Do u mean defensive?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've generally been enjoying DBFZ a lot as my first attempt at actually playing a for-reals fighting game, although I will admit it has some real issues, even if I can't tell if some are endemic to the genre, the developer, or the game itself. The main thing that irritates me is the lack of escape options for long combos; you get caught in some players' really practiced combos you might as well just put your controller down, because you're not getting out of that. Adult Gohan players seem to have this in spades, but they aren't the only ones I've had that trouble with.

But on a happier note, I have started winning matches, and I'm surprised how smart it makes me feel! I'm nowhere near being able to use most of the tools available to me, so I'm rarely actually controlling the fight, but I have started being able to find and exploit some people's weaknesses. And it's hard not to love when you start seeing 'this guy doesn't know how to handle my weirdly aggressive 16', 'this guy never learned how to block Cell's autocombos', and 'I don't think this guy's ever fought a Freiza at all' and actually have it work out!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bbxtag has the burst mechanic most arcsys air dashers have so you can usually once a round or every other round get one free out from a combo

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Real hurthling! posted:

Do u mean defensive?

Yep, fixed. :shobon:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah it feels so much better realized on that side

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Real hurthling! posted:

Bbxtag has the burst mechanic most arcsys air dashers have so you can usually once a round or every other round get one free out from a combo

It doesn't have burst but you can tag your partner in during a combo to break it at the cost of your tag meter. It refills quickly though, so you can do it multiple times a round usually. It can be punished though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Apparently Toei's making a semi-canon anime filler arc thingy out of one of the plotlines from Heroes, the awful arcade card game with all the bullshit fanservice characters, and Android 21 is in there as the love interest to edgelord evil Saiyan guy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Real hurthling! posted:

You can use it roughly 2+ times in a game because the burst just eats up two bars of the assist meter. It's pretty drat cool how you balance out "get out of this combo" against "be able to use my assist within the next ten seconds"

I would kill for that kind of burst in DBFZ

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You won't have to kill for it but you will have to pay for it when they announce Super DBFZ.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Apparently Toei's making a semi-canon anime filler arc thingy out of one of the plotlines from Heroes, the awful arcade card game with all the bullshit fanservice characters, and Android 21 is in there as the love interest to edgelord evil Saiyan guy.

Poor guy; anyone who knows Android 21 knows that she's not there for his personality.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Cleretic posted:

I've generally been enjoying DBFZ a lot as my first attempt at actually playing a for-reals fighting game, although I will admit it has some real issues, even if I can't tell if some are endemic to the genre, the developer, or the game itself. The main thing that irritates me is the lack of escape options for long combos; you get caught in some players' really practiced combos you might as well just put your controller down, because you're not getting out of that.

How combo-escape is handled varies within the genre. Getting one burst out of a combo at least per match, sometimes more frequently, is often a thing, but there are other fighting games which are IMO much worse than DBFZ (ex. Fist of the North Star, UMvC3) regarding being stuck in long combos.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I discovered by accident the other day that android 21 can double super by using vegeta assist and came up with this over the course of a few hours today and I’m really proud of myself for figuring that and the rest of this combo out on my own

https://twitter.com/cythrin/status/999071996834205696?s=21

Ok thanks bye

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/XiePlus/status/999818190631780352

Disgusting.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

If this happened to me I would probably literally go Super Saiyan, hurl the game disc at the closest GameStop, and blow up the planet somehow.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Combo Breaker is pretty nuts right now I'm not gonna lie. Matches have been max hype.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
sonicfox fuckin beat goichi

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

MechaX posted:

If this happened to me I would probably literally go Super Saiyan, hurl the game disc at the closest GameStop, and blow up the planet somehow.

I would press rematch and not make catastrophically bad assist calls at the start of the round.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
In honor of Combo Breaker 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0AAn-Da5sg

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Apropos of nothing, I saw a video of a mod for base form Goku and Vegeta. I'd love just having the option of base forms as an alternate costume or something.

Oh here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sxVAnJnbvQ

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Meridian posted:

Apropos of nothing, I saw a video of a mod for base form Goku and Vegeta. I'd love just having the option of base forms as an alternate costume or something.

I love Vegeta’s Saiyan Saga look but you gotta have the scouter :cmon:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Meridian posted:

Yeah, call me basic, but I'm really looking forward to the Base Form DLC characters.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
So vegito has reverse beat on his medium into crouching light?

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

I still feel like this game is really good, but I did zero ground floor practice as my kid was just born, Is it far to late to jump on this ship?

I am also bad at fighters.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sneaky Wombat posted:

I still feel like this game is really good, but I did zero ground floor practice as my kid was just born, Is it far to late to jump on this ship?

I am also bad at fighters.

It’s never too late. Harder? Sure, mostly, but you do have the advantage of learning from example now via the multitude of YouTube and written resources that have had time in the oven since launch. Also just like... if you take the mindset of “am I behind everyone else” the answer in fighting games is always an emphatic YES because some/many of these dedicated players grew up in quarters-up arcade environments and have an easy 10-20 years of practice and experience on you. Just gotta suck it up and get to work if it’s something you want. :)

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Combo Breaker is pretty nuts right now I'm not gonna lie. Matches have been max hype.

I cannot wait to go to evo in two months and see DBZ in the arena, poo poo is going to amazing.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Vegito when? Is there a generally accepted time of day EST when dlc drops

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

On steam prolly around 10 am or so

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Sade posted:

I would press rematch and not make catastrophically bad assist calls at the start of the round.

Not nearly as cathartic though

(In all seriousness, he probably wanted to go dumb with the Gohan DP, caught Broly instead of Teen Gohan and panicked; dunno why he called out Kid Buu and his 3rd for this even if he hit Teen Gohan on block or otherwise)

MechaX fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 31, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0RRVVQWs0I

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

The fused zamasu intros are creepy.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Vegito is so loving fun and so weird.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Vegito's theme is Guilty Gear as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I got the fighterz pass just after midnight on the 31st, not realizing the characters wouldn't unlock until noon on PS4. No big deal, i figure, I'll just wait until they actually unlock. I'd been saving all my coins the past week or so after a tip from my friend to wait until the new characters dropped so their extra colors would be in the list of potential unlocks.

So I loaded up the game last night assuming since I had the season pass the new characters would just automatically be unlocked, and did just shy of 600k worth of rolls, without landing a single alt color for the new characters. I figured I was just insanely unlucky.

Turns out the season pass just makes dlc characters free to download and doesn't automatically unlock them. I wasted 600k worth of rolls. :negative: