Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Since I'm likely doing a monk next run what's the coolest monk armor/equipment in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

fez_machine posted:

The true revolution will not be the kith against the gods but by the wilder against all.
The naga count as wilder, right?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Flavahbeast posted:

Wilders are fundamentally different from kith, there would be no separate wilder and kith damage bonuses if it were not so

:biotruths:

Blockhouse posted:

Since I'm likely doing a monk next run what's the coolest monk armor/equipment in the game?

Depends on how many frontliners you've got, I prefer heavy/medium armor on monks. Swords make a good back up to fists to cover off the damage types.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

Wilders are fundamentally different from kith, there would be no separate wilder and kith damage bonuses if it were not so

It's the game designers who decide the mechanics of this portrayal of Eora. Seems clear the writers and leads of the game have prejudices against wilders. Imagine this game with the species/race names changed to random Earth ones!

derra posted:

I hear you, but I wish it would have accommodated more solutions (I wanted to kill the guard and free the prisoner).

Oof, yeah, I suppose that does seem like a kind of good option to include for a game with the option to be expressly evil. What happens if you kill the guard now? Town aggros and no resolution?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 22, 2018

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I want a Naga companion

I want a Naga protagonist

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Khanstant posted:

It's the game designers who decide the mechanics of this portrayal of Eora. Seems clear the writers and leads of the game have prejudices against wilders. Imagine this game with the species/race names changed to random Earth ones!

Oof, yeah, I suppose that does seem like a kind of good option to include for a game with the option to be expressly evil. What happens if you kill the guard now? Town aggros and no resolution?

The prisoner taunts the guard, but there is no option to free him. Town is hostile.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Scorchy posted:

Depends on how many frontliners you've got, I prefer heavy/medium armor on monks. Swords make a good back up to fists to cover off the damage types.

I use Xoti as a Monk/Priest and she's frontlining and then hopping all over the place. In my head she's a priest, which means light armor, and a monk, which means the same. Now I'm thinking that with her various speed bonuses through monk and sickle, she'd essentially negate the penalty for heavy armor anyway and maybe have to waste one less action healing instead of reaping like she was born to do.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

. What happens if you kill the guard now? Town aggros and no resolution?

I will find out tomorrow! Already wiped out one small fishing village that was foolish enough to attack a huge demon-looking dude with a glowing sword, what’s one more really going to matter?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

In rectospect does using multiclass characters make the game alittle harder because it takes longer to get to the higher rank abilities?

My general thought is that if your class is auto-attack intensive, it benefits the most from multiclassing so it can pick up two classes worth of passives and cheap Full Attacks. Fighter, Rogue, Ranger, Paladin, maybe Barbarian depending on how good Heart of Fury is.

If your class depends on abilities, it all depends on how good your L8/L9 abilities are and on what you're multiclassing it with.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Blockhouse posted:

For uniques I'm not sure there is anything other than the gloves the vithrack sells in Delver's Row.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Now that most of the critical bugs have been ironed out, I want to start my second playthrough, but have run into a slight snag.

I've restarted six times because I can't decide between Wizard/Bleakwalker or Evoker/Ascendant :ohdear:

Anyone have any experience with the Wizard/Cipher combo? I figure the evoker will put out a billion points of damage while cipher will cover the loss of control/buff spells...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Coldforge posted:

Now that most of the critical bugs have been ironed out, I want to start my second playthrough, but have run into a slight snag.

I've restarted six times because I can't decide between Wizard/Bleakwalker or Evoker/Ascendant :ohdear:

Anyone have any experience with the Wizard/Cipher combo? I figure the evoker will put out a billion points of damage while cipher will cover the loss of control/buff spells...

Does spell damage generate focus? I thought it didn’t.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Subjunctive posted:

Does spell damage generate focus? I thought it didn’t.

There's guns for that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Coldforge posted:

There's guns for that.

Ah, I thought you meant that they would be evoking a billion points of damage.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Coldforge posted:

I haven't tried it myself, but I think that's just straight worse than a Wizard. As a general rule Cipher spells are not good, Wizard spells are. Cipher passives boost weapon damage and focus builds off weapon damage, so you'll have trouble building focus for control spells that are strictly worse than the wizard spells of the same level.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I haven't tried it myself, but I think that's just straight worse than a Wizard. As a general rule Cipher spells are not good, Wizard spells are. Cipher passives boost weapon damage and focus builds off weapon damage, so you'll have trouble building focus for control spells that are strictly worse than the wizard spells of the same level.

That makes sense, thanks. Also, awww :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Coldforge posted:

That makes sense, thanks. Also, awww :(

You could theoretically make it work with a Martial Wizard who builds focus that way but yeah there's little point.

Ranger/wizard or bleakwalker/wizard could work well though using a similar muscle wizard build. There are some very powerful "plus ranged weapon x" items and those bonuses work on all summoned weapons, even melee ones.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

walking thru neketaka, several pirates lure me into a back alley with a false promise of an exotic item for sale. suddenly they draw their blades and move to strike!

"do you know who the gently caress I am?"

they pause, and one of them raises a lantern. "aww gently caress, it's the Watcher. he's in good with the Principi."

"now give me your loot or i'll gut you crotch-to-collar"

AND THEY loving DID! recognize the superior pirate you greedy motherfuckers!

GOTY

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I will never get the weird crypto-furry fixation on kobolds and kobold analogues

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

VanillaGorilla posted:

He gets super bitchy about it if you kill all his minions, though, so worth it IMO

Yeah I didnt get the answer until after I'd wailed them to death, pretty hilarious conversation.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I will never get the weird crypto-furry fixation on kobolds and kobold analogues

Do not talk to me or my adorable xaurip deckhand ever again

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I sort of want to do a paladin|X for my next playthrough, but I don't like the reputation locks on it. Similarly, I'd like to play a priest for dialogue reasons, but I feel like priests are sorta poo poo right now outside of like 3 spells.

I might just rock a Fighter|Soulblade and obliterate people into Mob Stance AOE.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Scorchy posted:

:biotruths:

My problem with heavy armor is that it doesn't really scream "monk" to me.

I was hoping there was a unique armor that looked more like Huana or Rauatai clothes (especially since said monk is going to be an aumaua)

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I didn't think it was a bug issue, I thought it was a deliberate design decision for the quest. There's no easy way out where everybody is happy and wins, thank the gods I was here to be the savior. It's a real dilemma, something lovely has to happen and you have to do what you feel is the least wrong thing to do. The game trips over itself trying to show how everybody hates the accused anyway and that it's worth considering his character and actions regardless of his innocence or guilt in the matter at hand. The alternative for a possibly greater good is also sketchy and is not guaranteed with the best of intentions. It does a good job making you choose between results where you actually have to compromise your values in some way and make a hard decision where somebody gets hurt.

The obvious solution here would be to just set things back up as if you never came along in the first place. Let the thief replant the fruit so the village doesn't starve to death, and allow the innocent-but-lovely dude take the blame. But once you dig up that fruit, the game will never let you put it back or give it to the thief, and you are forced to turn it in to the Mataru.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Medium armor is good on monks IME.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

In my PotD experience good medium armor on any kind of melee is the minimum for standing a chance early game

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

There's some cool enough medium armor for monks in the game anyway. Most of my team was actually in medium rather than heavy on veteran.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm never going to touch PotD so I'm not particularly worried.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I used -20% recovery armor on pretty much everybody. Seemed to do a decent enough job at stopping overpenetration.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Miscreant Leathers give you back 15% off it, so they’ve been welded to my Shattered Pillar/Assassin since I found them somewhere.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

frajaq posted:

In my PotD experience good medium armor on any kind of melee is the minimum for standing a chance early game

Medium armor ended up feeling like the "default" for most characters in the whole of my PotD playthrough- light and heavy saw more use when I found really good uniques.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

What's the best way to run cipher? I made a darcozzi/asccendant and get the ascended status almost instantly but the spells seem anemic. Is that because of the multiclass? Sucks to get so few as well.

On the good side of it double gun flames of devotion is really good and being sassy in conversation nets me like 20 defense so I just wear light armor. Just feels like my casting sprees are a bit pathetic. Level 8 at the moment for reference.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

rogue/soul blade cipher is chill. you can dump all your focus into a Stealth Attack and gib things

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Ravenfood posted:

e: Also, from way back, but swords were really often just status symbols of the wealthy and heroes. They're not great weapons. If you wanted to kill someone, throughout most of recorded history, you took a sharp pointed object on a stick. Sometimes that sharp object had other things attached to it, like an axe, hammer, or gun, but it was a sharp pointed object on a stick.

This is an overstatement. Swords were incredibly commonly used for most of recorded history in most societies on the planet. There is no reason to believe swords weren't great weapons unless you believe our ancestors were stupid. Personally, I think the designers of the macahuatl or the khopesh were no less intelligent and no less bloodthirsty than engineers who design anti-tank cannons. Swords were incredibly effective weapons for the role in which people used them.

That role in most societies was as an all-around side arm for personal defense. You can carry a sword easily at your side, where it interferes very little with your movements, then draw it quickly to defend yourself if you're not carrying a pole arm or if yours was broken or lost. It's a much more versatile weapon compared to an axe or hammer and is capable of dealing far more devastating damage to an unarmored body. It falls short against armor or against pole arms, but those are unlikely to be a factor except in a pitched battle.

Soldiers don't all carry hand guns to the battlefield, but hand guns still play a very important role in how human beings kill each other. Swords occupied a similar role, but were relatively more significant than handguns are today.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

This is an overstatement. Swords were incredibly commonly used for most of recorded history in most societies on the planet. There is no reason to believe swords weren't great weapons unless you believe our ancestors were stupid. Personally, I think the designers of the macahuatl or the khopesh were no less intelligent and no less bloodthirsty than engineers who design anti-tank cannons. Swords were incredibly effective weapons for the role in which people used them.

That role in most societies was as an all-around side arm for personal defense. You can carry a sword easily at your side, where it interferes very little with your movements, then draw it quickly to defend yourself if you're not carrying a pole arm or if yours was broken or lost. It's a much more versatile weapon compared to an axe or hammer and is capable of dealing far more devastating damage to an unarmored body. It falls short against armor or against pole arms, but those are unlikely to be a factor except in a pitched battle.

Soldiers don't all carry hand guns to the battlefield, but hand guns still play a very important role in how human beings kill each other. Swords occupied a similar role, but were relatively more significant than handguns are today.
Well, yes. If you want to have a weapon on your person to defend yourself, a pistol or sword is pretty good. But if your goal is to go out onto a battlefield and kill someone, you grab something else.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Am I missing something, or is it really hard to see what the buffs/debuffs on you in combat are/do?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ravenfood posted:

Well, yes. If you want to have a weapon on your person to defend yourself, a pistol or sword is pretty good. But if your goal is to go out onto a battlefield and kill someone, you grab something else.

Unless you're in a Roman legion? In which case you carry a gladius?

If we really want to get pedantic about this we shouldn't be talking "swords," we should be talking, like, zweihanders and gladius etc., or jian vs dao. Some swords were designed as personal sidearms, some were designed to be used in military formations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

flashman posted:

What's the best way to run cipher? I made a darcozzi/asccendant and get the ascended status almost instantly but the spells seem anemic. Is that because of the multiclass? Sucks to get so few as well.

On the good side of it double gun flames of devotion is really good and being sassy in conversation nets me like 20 defense so I just wear light armor. Just feels like my casting sprees are a bit pathetic. Level 8 at the moment for reference.

I don't think there's a settled-on "best cipher" right now, there are too many "pretty good" options and the class has some real issues so there's no consensus build.

The one bit of general advice I'm pretty confident about is that any cipher should have weapon sets with at least two different damage types, and ideally three. Clubs are a great choice for crushing one-handers and quarterstaff is a great choice for crushing two-hander (but take Metaphysics skill on that character).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Unless you're in a Roman legion? In which case you carry a gladius?

If we really want to get pedantic about this we shouldn't be talking "swords," we should be talking, like, zweihanders and gladius etc., or jian vs dao. Some swords were designed as personal sidearms, some were designed to be used in military formations.

Didn't they throw darts and javelins at the enemy first before using the gladius?

Speaking of which, where my darts/javelins at Ropekid? Perhaps for Poe3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

flashman posted:

there's a big balance patch coming soon so anything that's insanely good will probably be less good and things that seem really bad might be less bad in a couple weeks or whenever