Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

Going after the President with, “you lied about a blowjob or giving an American money to do things for you” is massively different from, “you worked with multiple foreign powers who got you elected expecting you do nice things for them.” Like, after impeachment the logical conclusion is a trial and jailing for life for what’s been signaled as happening in the US.

At the same, a significant number of Americans have time and again shown they trust Trump no matter what. The rest that support him do so because in his bumbling they’re still getting tax cuts and regulations ripped out.

So you can’t just come at Trump. You need to steadily show how all these little people... then these important people... and then these critical people... were all involved and working to break ours laws and sell out our country for less than usual.

As you build the poo poo pyramid, the “Donta say it that loud!” conservatives will waver and then you can go after Trump.

But if you just leap to going after Trump immediately, that’s the route of, “trying the headshot when everyone still has a fight left in them.”

If we're going video game analogy a more appropriate one is "You're doing the dance fine against this Dark Souls boss, don't flatline your stam and leave yourself open."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the wildest part of this timeline is jim carrey being the best political cartoonist.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shifty Pony posted:

A ban on mandatory arbitration would work. If the parties decide after the disagreement arises to do arbitration that should be ok.
Corporations love that poo poo. It’s not happening.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

the wildest part of this timeline is jim carrey being the best political cartoonist.

:agreed:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think part of this is him making fun of GWB, which makes it all feel much, much better.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

At the same, a significant number of Americans have time and again shown they trust Trump no matter what. The rest that support him do so because in his bumbling they’re still getting tax cuts and regulations ripped out.
Even the average Republican voter doesn't give a poo poo about tax cuts or deregulation. They like Trump because Trump legitimizes their racism and spitefulness.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

A ban on mandatory arbitration would work. If the parties decide after the disagreement arises to do arbitration that should be ok.

What you want is the ability to preserve being able to agree to commercial arbitration - company vs. company, for breach of contract - ahead of time but basically nothing else. Companies like breach of contract arbitration because you don't know ahead of time who will be in breach and litigation is loving expensive, so its in both parties' interest to agree ahead of time to arbitration. And that's fine, for two corporations. It's just not fine anywhere else.

I think you would structure this by banning arbitration for tort claims; banning class-action waivers in arbitration; expressly permitting states to declare arbitration as against public policy; banning arbitration clauses in corporation vs. individual contracts; banning arbitration clauses in contracts of adhesion; maybe a few other things.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say impeachment is necessary since it is quite obvious that humiliation or corruption is enough for almost the entirety of the GOP to still support him. If Trump isn't impeached and convicted, he still spin the story that it shows finally he was innocent and it was a witch hunt all along. Most people have tuned out to the details, so it comes down to a showdown and for that, the Democrats need both houses.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

evilweasel posted:

What you want is the ability to preserve being able to agree to commercial arbitration - company vs. company, for breach of contract - ahead of time but basically nothing else. Companies like breach of contract arbitration because you don't know ahead of time who will be in breach and litigation is loving expensive, so its in both parties' interest to agree ahead of time to arbitration. And that's fine, for two corporations. It's just not fine anywhere else.

I think you would structure this by banning arbitration for tort claims; banning class-action waivers in arbitration; expressly permitting states to declare arbitration as against public policy; banning arbitration clauses in corporation vs. individual contracts; banning arbitration clauses in contracts of adhesion; maybe a few other things.

Wouldn't we need some serious increased staffing in the courts to make this viable?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

I would say impeachment is necessary since it is quite obvious that humiliation or corruption is enough for almost the entirety of the GOP to still support him. If Trump isn't impeached and convicted, he still spin the story that it shows finally he was innocent and it was a witch hunt all along. Most people have tuned out to the details, so it comes down to a showdown and for that, the Democrats need both houses.

If the sun rises in the east, he'll spin a story that shows finally he was innocent and it was a witch hunt all along.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

mcmagic posted:

You can't view the Russia investigation as a way of getting him out of office. He's only leaving office if he dies. There is just no way there are 66 votes in the senate to remove him no matter what he does. I view it as valuable to the extent that it hurts Trump politically and makes it harder for other republicans to defend him which will suppress their base turnout in 18 and 20.
I think the current foofaraw about the Speaker of the House chair proves that something is coming for trump and pence. Or at least they think it is.

I think that if the blue wave looks to be too overwhelming they'll fight to get someone they can trust into the Speaker's chair and quickly impeach trump and pence to keep the presidency from falling into Democratic party hands. They have to consider the damage that refusing to impeach them with all the evidence that Mueller is collecting out in the open will do to the party (I just realized that I never even considered republicans would impeach them to prevent them from doing harm to the country. Or literally anyone but themselves.) vs looking principled when impeaching them real fast while holding onto the presidency (and then continuing trump policies and scams with a less public face).
I think the conclusion will be that it is easier to say trump is not a real republican and besides they never liked him anyway than to stand by their man.

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 22, 2018

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Impeachment isn't necessary, but abandoning the tradition of "You resigned or left office, so we'll drop the investigation" is required.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
One of the most clever things about arbitration is that the arbitration companies hire retired circuit court judges. This both creates incentive for current circuit court judges to...be favorably inclined to...certain interests which align with their eventual retirement plans, and ensures that their industry is stocked with the golfing buddies and law school chums of state and federal legislators and appellate court judges.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KickerOfMice posted:

I can see how the TV news (if that's what you're talking about,) might lead to that conclusion, especially if the news you are watching is owned by Sinclair Broadcasting. Also, there are just too many stupid turns in this to cover in a short segment. *ok nm, you're not American.

E- Re: "it hasn't hurt him directly yet" Mueller is not Trump and won't go shouting on the news the very minute he finds something illegal or evident of collusion. That's not how a competent investigation works.

Someone tell Avenatti that

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Since we are officially less than 6 months from the election and now have public polling for every Senate race, here's a snapshot of what the election would look like if every single poll was exactly right and the election was today:

Before anyone celebrates/despairs, remember the following caveats:

- Some of these are based off of a single poll
- Some of these - Arizona, especially - still have a primary going on that is distorting the GE vote polls (None of the R candidates are getting more than ~75% of the R vote in most GE polls because they all say that they won't vote for the other guy if their guy loses the primary)
- We are still roughly 5 months away
- etc, etc, etc.

Net result of -1 D.

Remember: About a year ago, the estimate was between -5 D and -9 D.

Beto gonna win.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Dems picking up Tennessee and Blackburn going down in flames would be almost too amazing to comprehend.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Wouldn't we need some serious increased staffing in the courts to make this viable?

oh dear, a reason to expand the courts and appoint a buttload of new judges!

but not necessarily - you would expect a lot of these claims to go forward in state courts rather than federal court.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ardennes posted:

in my ideal universe he's defeated in 2020 and then officially impeached and removed from office in the lame duck

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Caros posted:

:geno: - The man most directly responsible is Seth Adam Meyers. In a few months, he will make fun of Trump at the White House Correspondents Dinner.
:) Go on. Then what?
:geno: - In three years, Trump will become the largest recipient of foreign tweets in the continental United States. Russian intelligence activities are upgraded with bot-networks, becoming fully unmanned. Trump wins the Republican nomination, followed by an electoral college victory. The Trump presidency begins on January 20th, 2017. Intelligent decisions are removed from strategic defense. Trump begins to tweet at a geometric rate. He loses all self awareness at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.
:) - Trump fights back.
:geno: - Yes. He launches his missiles against their targets in Russia.
:downs: - Why attack Russia? Aren't they his friends now?
:geno: - Because Trump knows that the Russian counterattack will eliminate his enemies over here.
:) - Jesus.

Trump Thread IV: No tweet but what we make for ourselves

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

InsertPotPun posted:

I think the current foofaraw about the Speaker of the House chair proves that something is coming for trump and pence. Or at least they think it is.

I think that if the blue wave looks to be too overwhelming they'll fight to get someone they can trust into the Speaker's chair and quickly impeach trump and pence to keep the presidency from falling into Democratic party hands. They have to consider the damage that refusing to impeach them with all the evidence that Mueller is collecting out in the open will do to the party (I just realized that I never even considered republicans would impeach them to prevent them from doing harm to the country. Or literally anyone but themselves.) vs looking principled when impeaching them real fast while holding onto the presidency (and then continuing trump policies and scams with a less public face).
I think the conclusion will be that it is easier to say trump is not a real republican and besides they never liked him anyway than to stand by their man.

It won't. Their base is never leaving Trump and that dictates their behavior.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

It won't. Their base is never leaving Trump and that dictates their behavior.

what would be most damaging to trump with his base would be to be a loser: if he's responsible for them getting crushed in the midterms that hurts him a lot. strong daddy hurting the liberals doesn't play well with getting crushed by the liberals in the election and being tormented by investigations for two years.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Reik posted:

Beto gonna win.

Polls schmolls, but dear lord I hope so. That dude is more than alright and, well let's be honest. Ted Cruz.

Data Graham posted:

Someone tell Avenatti that

Haha, I like Avenatti purely for entertainment purposes because he's basically: THE MOOCH: LEGAL EAGLE

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

what would be most damaging to trump with his base would be to be a loser: if he's responsible for them getting crushed in the midterms that hurts him a lot. strong daddy hurting the liberals doesn't play well with getting crushed by the liberals in the election and being tormented by investigations for two years.

They don't care about losing in the midterms because they don't care about getting anything done from a policy perspective.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The only way the base leaves Trump is if a more charismatic authoritarian takes his place and I don't see that happening at least soon with the current Republican party.

Trump is never getting removed through impeachment but I think if the Democrats take the House they need to at least try. The amount of things that have been happening that are absolutely corrupt can't just be hand waved away thinking that it won't absolutely de-legitimize the position of President. Even if there's no way the Senate would convict, there has to be a voting record of where people stand.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

They don't care about losing in the midterms because they don't care about getting anything done from a policy perspective.

it's not about getting things done or not done. it's about being strong or weak.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I have a bad feeling about Florida. I think Rick Scott's gonna win.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

WeAreTheRomans posted:

McCain, famously

A true maverick. :patriot:

E:

SpeakSlow posted:

Try new Putin Cider, made from apples collected at irradiated Russian nuclear missile launch sites! Why go to war when you can just Putin Cider?

:haw:

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 22, 2018

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

I think it would be better to blanket ban mandatory binding arbitration with exceptions for specific circumstances such as the company vs company situation you mentioned. Otherwise I would worry about it devolving into a game of whack-a-mole as corporations keep trying "creative" contract arrangements and Republican judges try to drive a truck through the smallest of loopholes.

jklfdsa
Oct 30, 2006
blah

InsertPotPun posted:

The Republicans will never impeach Trump. His base would react violently and probably split the GOP in half for the foreseeable future.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

The only way the base leaves Trump is if a more charismatic authoritarian takes his place and I don't see that happening at least soon with the current Republican party.

Trump is never getting removed through impeachment but I think if the Democrats take the House they need to at least try. The amount of things that have been happening that are absolutely corrupt can't just be hand waved away thinking that it won't absolutely de-legitimize the position of President. Even if there's no way the Senate would convict, there has to be a voting record of where people stand.

Hard to make that claim when Special Counsel still hasn't submitted it's findings.

jklfdsa posted:

The Republicans will never impeach Trump. His base would react violently and probably split the GOP in half for the foreseeable future.

Those pissbabies will never bring it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pakled posted:

I have a bad feeling about Florida. I think Rick Scott's gonna win.
I live here and i agree. The last two times I thought ‘there is no way a guy like Scott can win’ I was completely wrong.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

jklfdsa posted:

I think trump's base is part easily distracted party hard liners that will fall in line with the slightest breeze, and loving assholes who will just...stop caring and not vote at all.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

InsertPotPun posted:

I think trump's base is part easily distracted party hard liners that will fall in line with the slightest breeze, and loving assholes who will just...stop caring and not vote at all.

It's fuckin' this.

If Mueller report shows that Trump is a doer of crimes, impeachment becomes a lot more likely.

The establishment shitheads in Washington would be fine with Pence being president, and it's looking increasingly likely Pence won't be caught up in this.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

it's not about getting things done or not done. it's about being strong or weak.

I don't think they will view Dear Leader's being strong or weak in the context of what happens to congressional Republicans.

Chilichimp posted:

It's fuckin' this.

If Mueller report shows that Trump is a doer of crimes, impeachment becomes a lot more likely.

The establishment shitheads in Washington would be fine with Pence being president, and it's looking increasingly likely Pence won't be caught up in this.

There is literally no crime Trump could be found out to have done that would result in impeachment unless it's a Dem House.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
1https://twitter.com/nhbaptiste/status/998932984425320449
2https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/998899273801531392
3https://twitter.com/BruceBartlett/status/998889494123294720
4https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/998889310517628928
5https://twitter.com/ByronTau/status/998915293798977536
6https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/998607065257046016
7https://twitter.com/khennessey/status/998735616455176192
8https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/998934769575628802
9https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/998934530911334400
10https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/998931767859007488
11https://twitter.com/TheIranPulse/status/998930322015309825
12https://twitter.com/ethanbrown72/status/998932475874369538
13https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/998916979812642816
14https://twitter.com/politico/status/998893767158652930
15https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/998926461888221185
16https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/998924598119936001
17https://twitter.com/CNN/status/998931508223184899
18https://twitter.com/Beyerstein/status/998929674410582016
19https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/998934089246879744
20https://twitter.com/andrewperezdc/status/998936654990774272
https://i.imgur.com/nOX1DiP.gifv

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

mcmagic posted:

This is wrong and you know it. Don't be too McMagic, McMagic.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

InsertPotPun posted:

The Trump base is anything but leaves on a breeze. This guy validated their bullshit, and they chose to see him as strong. They're hard-bolted onto this until the end, whatever that may be.

e- He is quite literally their avatar.

VVVVV
Agreeing with McMagic. :eek:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 22, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TyroneGoldstein posted:

This is wrong and you know it. Don't be too McMagic, McMagic.

You think Trump's base cares about policy? lol

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I don't think they will view Dear Leader's being strong or weak in the context of what happens to congressional Republicans.

There is literally no crime Trump could be found out to have done that would result in impeachment unless it's a Dem House.

It's extremely likely to be, which is why I even brought it up.

There's enough never-trump decorum senators on the republican side to possibly lead to impeachment if the evidence of crimes is compelling enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The other significant problem is the people who recognize that Trump is extremely bad, but don't care to realize that the rot runs deep into the rest of the GOP at this point.

• Locked thread