Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Truga posted:

I mean, technically inflation just means prices, but prices in a ~free market~ won't go up if nobody can't buy any poo poo.

On the other hand, the western free market is about as free as dprk is democratic people's so lol

yeah prices which includes the price of the services you provide from your labor and the price of your labor itself

if inflation is 6% one year and you don't get a 6% raise that's just your boss being an rear end in a top hat and attempting to deflect it onto the economy, which a surprisingly large amount of people swallow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

inflation necessarily includes wages
yes, because wages are paid in money, and a decrease in the value commanded by money is what people generally describe as "inflation." the effect on debts stands, regardless; in fact it's one of the most obvious empirical snags in the neutrality of money thesis

(ed: to be clear, i'm just speaking abstractly about a general point, and neither denying nor downplaying the struggle you're describing)

Aeolius has issued a correction as of 17:21 on May 18, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my dad has some weimar era bank notes and a bunch of postage stamps. some of the stamps are literally stamped so the face value of like 400 millionen mark is updated to like 2 milliarden mark

theyre pretty badass

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Krankenstyle posted:

my dad has some weimar era bank notes and a bunch of postage stamps. some of the stamps are literally stamped so the face value of like 400 millionen mark is updated to like 2 milliarden mark

theyre pretty badass

Alternative use of hyperinflated Weimar currency is so my thing:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i was trying to find some of the notes my dad has but i cant remember the denominations & also wow there were a lot of different designs

1,000,000,000,000 mark (issued nov 5, 1923; not valid till feb 1, 1924 for some reason)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

there was some goon who bought a bunch of the hyperinflated zimbabwe dollars and resold them individually and he made a post once asking if anyone knew why all of a sudden a bunch of old people were buying his useless novelty items and claiming that there was going to be some "revaluation" and an old zimbabwe note that said "one trillion dollars" was suddenly going to be legal tender again. i wonder what happened there if anything

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Shear Modulus posted:

there was some goon who bought a bunch of the hyperinflated zimbabwe dollars and resold them individually and he made a post once asking if anyone knew why all of a sudden a bunch of old people were buying his useless novelty items and claiming that there was going to be some "revaluation" and an old zimbabwe note that said "one trillion dollars" was suddenly going to be legal tender again. i wonder what happened there if anything

People used the country's "revaluation" as a scheme to sell idiots worthless money, claiming that when they revalued the currency would suddenly be worth a million times more, rather than "trade your old million dollar bills for one dollar bills." People did the same thing with the Iraqi Dinar. Someone had a post about it in (iirc) the Q thread.

e: found it. The discussion takes place in this article.

Goon Danton has issued a correction as of 18:45 on May 18, 2018

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Goon Danton posted:

People used the country's "revaluation" as a scheme to sell idiots worthless money, claiming that when they revalued the currency would suddenly be worth a million times more, rather than "trade your old million dollar bills for one dollar bills." People did the same thing with the Iraqi Dinar. Someone had a post about it in (iirc) the Q thread.

Somewhere I've got a 50,000 ruble note I kept from a trip to Russia in the early 90s, wonder if I could've tried to pull the same scam back when they revalued their currency in 98.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shear Modulus posted:

I won a trillion zimbabwean dollars in a contest that a record label held ~2004. wonder if i still have it somewhere

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Best Giraffe posted:

we gonna weimar ourselves without even having a world war lol

weimar basically caused its own hyperinflation to get out of war debts iirc so lol we dont even have that excuse

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

content from this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/...&version=search

quote:

Last fall, I was in a meeting with a leader in women’s health, discussing re-entry-to-work programs for new mothers when, out of the blue, she began complaining about a former employee. This employee on their small team had gotten pregnant, the woman said — and it was a problem: “She was way too focused on her pregnancy. It was distracting her. I didn’t think she was going to be committed enough to the job, so I had to let her go.” I looked at her, stunned. This woman — a mother herself — who worked on a range on initiatives to support women was openly and casually admitting to illegal discrimination, against another mother.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Almost like this "leader" in women's health was really only interested in her own bank-account's health.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol what a shithead

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

i was trying to find some of the notes my dad has but i cant remember the denominations & also wow there were a lot of different designs

1,000,000,000,000 mark (issued nov 5, 1923; not valid till feb 1, 1924 for some reason)

my dad bought some weimar currency from some farmer's estate auction. I think he has a 50 milliard bill among others

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

Their novelty value means that getting hyper-large zimbabwe notes was actually the best currency investment you could make

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

false.

they were definitely bought over face value, and so many were printed that there will no doubt be some rear end in a top hat slowly selling one at a time forever. false scarcity, much like debeers & their blood diamonds, is easy money

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Shame on the author for protecting this criminal's anonymity.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

weimar basically caused its own hyperinflation to get out of war debts iirc so lol we dont even have that excuse

we're definitely starting several wars so i wouldn't be so quick to say that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

how much US debt does china own again?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

America's come a long way, I'm proud to be in a country where women in business leadership positions can be as big of a shithead as her male counterparts.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The Nastier Nate posted:

America's come a long way, I'm proud to be in a country where women in business leadership positions can be as big of a shithead as her male counterparts.

this is what liberals actually believe

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wheeee posted:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Somewhere I've got a 50,000 ruble note I kept from a trip to Russia in the early 90s, wonder if I could've tried to pull the same scam back when they revalued their currency in 98.

A common scam in Prague is for shady characters to hang out in front of currency exchange places and claim to offer better rates, but instead of Czech korunas they give people old, inflated Belarusian rubles. It's worthless paper now since Belarus deflated their currency, but even when it was in use the roughly 1250 rubles they give for a 50€ note was only worth something like 0,05€ or 6¢ USD.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Wheeee posted:

carlin said it in the 80s

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

hospice murder ceo

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/frisco/2018/05/18/frisco-hospice-executive-admits-overdosing-patients-hasten-death-make-money

quote:

The former executive of a Frisco hospice admitted Thursday to overdosing patients to "hasten their deaths" so the company could make more money, court records show.

Melanie Murphey, 36, admitted serving as the "go-between" for Novus Health Services owner Bradley Harris, doctors and nurses in an alleged $60 million scheme.

Murphey, Novus' director of operations, pleaded guilty to health care fraud and is expected to testify against 15 others in the case, including Harris and his wife, Amy. The other defendants have pleaded not guilty.

Chris Knox, an attorney for Bradley Harris, said Friday evening that "we are aware of the allegations lodged by Ms. Murphey in her factual resume and we wholeheartedly disagree with her opinions. We are not aware of any evidence that shows that Mr. Harris caused, hastened or otherwise contributed to the death of the hospice patients being treated by Novus."

An attorney for Amy Harris declined to comment.

When news of the federal investigation became public in March 2016, Novus posted a statement online, saying, "We have not and would not — ever — willfully harm any patient."

Murphey admitted in court records that she defrauded Medicare and Medicaid by billing them for patients who did not qualify for hospice services. She also admitted filling out forms as though she were the doctor by using notes taken by a nurse.

Court records show that Murphey also admitted she followed orders for patients' care from Bradley Harris, who has no medical training. The patients did not see a doctor in person before they were admitted.

She said Harris' directives were intended to drive up profits.

Harris ordered that patients who stayed beyond the time they allowed Novus to turn a profit receive higher doses of "whatever narcotic was being used, generally morphine, Dilaudid or Ativan," records show.

He also sent a text to a nurse that said, "You need to make this patient go bye-bye," according to an affidavit.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
At least with death panels it would probably be an elected position.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

well, the free market is definitely efficient

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

https://ballotpedia.org/California_No_Taxes_After_Age_55_Initiative_(2018)

Also boomers.txt

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

the official summary doesn't do this justice

here's the actual text

quote:

SECTION 1. Title. This measure shall be known and may be cited as the "California Freedom
from Slavery Act."

SECTION 2. Findings and Declarations

A. The Committee to End Slavery makes the following findings:

(1) It is a fact that one either owns property or one is property.

(2) The owner of property has the sole right to possession of that property, to decide how
that property is used and to trade or dispose of that property in the manner of his
choosing.

(3) California residents do not possess the rights of property ownership over anything.
Therefore, because they do not possess ownership over anything they are property.
This means they are owned by the real property owner and are, therefore, the slaves
of the property owner.

(4) California State, County and Local governments own all property of California
residents. Therefore, California residents are slaves of the various levels of
government.

(5) California residents do not even own their most fundamental, basic property, their
bodies given to them by their Creator so they can function here on earth. You would
think they should at least own that property. However, the government has usurped
that ownership by telling the residents, at gun point, what they may or not 1) put in
their bodies, 2) do with their bodies, 3) do by mutual consent with other residents, 4)
do to provide services to others, ad infinitum.

(6) California residents do not own the house they mistakenly think they purchased.
They are merely tenants of the house. The deed recorded in the County Recorder
office is not evidence of ownership, it's simply a rental agreement giving the tenant
the first right of refusal to pay the rent (property tax) levied on the property. If the
resident tenant does not pay the rent, then the government will kick the tenant out of
the property and auction off the rental agreement to another tenant. If the government
didn't own the property, it wouldn't be able to kick the non-rent paying tenant out.

(7) The power to tax is the power to destroy. That is, the power to tax any one by any
government involves the power to destroy and this power of government by taxation
to destroy can defeat and render useless the power of individuals to create and
preserve what they have created.

(8) There should be a time in the life of a slave when enough is enough and the slave
should be freed.

Section 3. Purpose and Intent.

A. To free California residents from financial enslavement by the various levels of State,
County and Local government upon their becoming senior citizens.

B. This is the first step in freeing all California residents from financial enslavement by
the various levels of State, County and Local governments; one small step for
man, one giant leap for mankind.

Section 4. The California Freedom from Slavery Act. Section 33 is added to Article I of the
California Constitution, to read:

quote:

SECTION 33.
(a) This Act shall be known as the "California Freedom from Slavery Act."

(b) Notwithstanding any provision of the Constitution to the contrary, every
resident of the State of California shall be exempt from all forms of State,
County or Local income, real estate property and personal property taxes or
fees beginning the year of the 55th anniversary of the birth of the resident and
continuing every year of residency thereafter until, and including, the day of
the resident's death and shall be exempt from any form of estate tax on the
resident's estate.
SECTION 5. Proponent Standing. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if the State, its
government agencies, or any of its officials fail to defend the constitutionality of this measure
following its approval by the voters, any other government employee, any proponent, or, in their
absence, any citizen of this state shall have the authority to intervene in any court action
challenging the constitutionality of this measure for the purpose of defending its
constitutionality, whether such action is in trial court, on appeal, or on discretionary review by
the Supreme Court of California or the Supreme Court of the United States. The fees and costs of
defending the action shall be a charge on funds appropriated to the Attorney General, which shall
be satisfied promptly.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That innitiative did not make the deadline for our upcoming elections in June, thankfully.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

the official summary doesn't do this justice

here's the actual text

Taxation is slavery, but it is okay to enslave people if they are under fifty five

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Goon Danton posted:

Taxation is slavery, but it is okay to enslave people if they are under fifty five

I guess it's good to see that Jrod's keeping busy since getting banned.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is it okay to still get services from the slaver government if you're over 55

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/999008953219497984

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Is it okay to still get services from the slaver government if you're over 55

That's the only time it's okay.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i'm fine with the no taxes over 55 thing as long as you give up all your property and earnings too

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

i'm fine with the no taxes over 55 thing as long as you give up all your property and earnings too

I'd be okay with it if they just forfeited their right to vote or use public services.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

He should be released for stealing valor while everyone he knows should be arrested for trying to support ICE

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

of all the things to impersonate, why ICE

like i can understand the military thing, people respect those murderers for some weird reason, but nobody actually likes ICE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Yinlock posted:

of all the things to impersonate, why ICE

like i can understand the military thing, people respect those murderers for some weird reason, but nobody actually likes ICE

Military personnel get sweet discounts like half price appetizers at Applebee's. What do ICE agents get?