Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosher Water
Mar 6, 2018

Tahirovic posted:

I wonder if the lack of Victoria III is based on financial estimates or if just nobody has a good idea how to actually do it. Keep in mind they have to figure out how to make a new version of the pop system and the economy. Last I read nobody really has a clue how those worked exactly.

If it's just a financial thing, do a kickstarter and make the whales (me) pay for it.

Yet an other Rome era game just sounds meh to me. And the way Johann explained trade gives me Civ5/6 flash backs where you get a trauma from having to micro trade.

I was under the impression that pops from Victoria and characters from ck2 were confirmed features of the new Rome game. Although probably a "streamlined" version.

Edit: ck2 not cow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

uPen posted:

Stellaris has really turned around. It was hot garbage for a long time but the 2.0 update turned it into an actual (good) game.
The opposite happened to me, 2.0 has glacial pace, the game still feels shallow, now even more than before and it seems to me like the devs cannot make up their minds. Maybe in 3 years, I might try it again.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Top Hats Monthly posted:

As yet unanounced Bronze Age Game->Imperator->Atilla TW->CK2->EU4->March of the Eagles->Victoria II->Darkest Hour->DEFCON->Colonizing Mars->Stellaris

Succession

With senate

:getin:

ftfy

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Drone posted:

I always get the feeling that Kaiserreich is a good concept executed by a team that couldn't gamedesign their way out of a wet paper bag. c/d?

Kaiserreich's problem is actually pretty easy to understand; it's open and a huge public undertaking. There are way to many people on the boat and no one to really control things. (There's probably quality control folks etc etc, sure, but nothing to keep the whole game "tight.") This was unfortunately pretty much a guarantee to happen, as Darkest Hour's was still how DH was sold to this day, making it a popular thing from the onset. And people wanted to chip in and make it better and, sure, HoI's is probably better then DH content wise at this point, but it got real messy while all the groundbreaking for DH was done by one or two people before it took off and got super popular.

(Being stuck doing everything by unwieldy events helps in DH's favor too.)

They don't seem to have nearly enough people to tell them "no." What really needs to happen is that someone swings around with enough moxie to make their own mod like KR and start the process anew, until HoI5. :v:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

I don't quite "get" people playing HOI4->Stellaris campaigns. Whatever the state of the world is when you leave it at HOI4, it's still got to be just one civilization by the time you get to Stellaris. You may as well just start as the Commonwealth of Man or the United Nations of Earth in Stellaris, and ditch the mega-campaign before then.

About the only time I saw that transition done well was the old Game Designers Workshop pen and paper RPGs where they did a futuristic game (2300 AD) which was on the same timeline as their post-apocalyptic war RPG (Twilight: 2000). Earth got better! (and considerably more French - mainly because the in-house game they played to game out the future history was "won" by the guy who was playing the French)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is this an actual conversion tool? Because I'd think that it would be a hell of a lot easier to simply create a custom race based on what you think the world looks like/should look like after you're done with the campaign.

Or is the tool to insert your hoi civilization as a pre-spaceflight race somewhere on the map?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Someone did a tool, not sure if that's what's being discussed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/7u4zy6/hoi4_to_stellaris_converter_01_released/

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Lum_ posted:

About the only time I saw that transition done well was the old Game Designers Workshop pen and paper RPGs where they did a futuristic game (2300 AD) which was on the same timeline as their post-apocalyptic war RPG (Twilight: 2000). Earth got better! (and considerably more French - mainly because the in-house game they played to game out the future history was "won" by the guy who was playing the French)

Holy poo poo I loved Twilight:2000! Do you have a link to this?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
2300AD is dope

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Yep, as linked just above me, there's an actual HoI4->Stellaris tool now.

It's not my jokes about having made a tool but really telling you to use the in-game designer. It's a legit thing that will apparently have multiple powers starting out different places.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

IAmThatIs posted:

Holy poo poo I loved Twilight:2000! Do you have a link to this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2300_AD

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/413/2300--AD-Mans-Battle-for-the-Stars?it=1 - main rules system for 2300 AD

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/422/2300-AD-Earth-Cybertech-Sourcebook?it=1 - sourcebook which details the state of Earth in 2300 (Texas is independent, the US is reunited otherwise but still a recovering nation, Asia's a mess, Europe is basically French because they had the good sense to be neutral in the Twilight War)

From Wikipedia:

quote:

To create 300 years of background history for their science-fiction RPG 2300 AD, GDW staff members participated in an in-house simulation called "The Great Game", with Frank Chadwick as referee. Starting with the world situation in 2000 following the Twilight War, players controlled one or more countries and guided them through 300 years of development, including the discovery of faster-than-light space travel, colonization of other Earthlike planets, and contact with a variety of sentient aliens. The staff member playing France, John Harshman, did exceptionally well, leading to France being the supreme superpower in 2300.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight:_2000#Original_setting

Also, don't bother with the reboots of Twilight 2000, they're complete trash.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 22, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Oh my god, this sounds like the best GSG. Like a combination of HOI4 and V3 but presaging Stellaris. Paradox needs to make this.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

quote:

GDW staff members participated in an in-house simulation called "The Great Game", with Frank Chadwick as referee. Starting with the world situation in 2000 following the Twilight War, players controlled one or more countries and guided them through 300 years of development, including the discovery of faster-than-light space travel, colonization of other Earthlike planets, and contact with a variety of sentient aliens.

DrSunshine posted:

Oh my god, this sounds like the best GSG. Like a combination of HOI4 and V3 but presaging Stellaris. Paradox needs to make this.

Spoiler for the Expanse:

Future seasons/books not yet filmed include literally all those things so an Expanse GSG would work nicely.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

The absolute insanity of this would be amazing

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Lum_ posted:

Spoiler for the Expanse:

Future seasons/books not yet filmed include literally all those things so an Expanse GSG would work nicely.

uhhhn :gizz:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gamerofthegame posted:

hoi4 is fun in multiplayer, it's hot garbo in multiplayer

A bold take.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Schrödinger's multiplayer

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Dwesa posted:

The opposite happened to me, 2.0 has glacial pace, the game still feels shallow, now even more than before and it seems to me like the devs cannot make up their minds. Maybe in 3 years, I might try it again.

I'd heard this is pretty much what happened. I think somewhere on reddit it was mentioned that Doomdark didn't have a strong background in 4X games, and was focusing more on the emergent story side of things. Unfortunately, the rest of the game suffered for this and Wiz was brought in to bring a more coherent design to Doom's vision.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

JerikTelorian posted:

I'd heard this is pretty much what happened. I think somewhere on reddit it was mentioned that Doomdark didn't have a strong background in 4X games, and was focusing more on the emergent story side of things. Unfortunately, the rest of the game suffered for this and Wiz was brought in to bring a more coherent design to Doom's vision.

The problem of course is that everything is a compromise, everything is a kludge. I sort of wish they'd just stop all the DLC for Stellaris and start working on Stellaris 2.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

y'all are crazy, stellaris has been getting better with every patch

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I've thought Stellaris was pretty fun since 1.0. Why am I a horrible person?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fuligin posted:

It's been a real 5 steps forward 3 steps back 1 step sideways sort of thing with each update though. We payin' to try to bolt a good game on top of a bad game but it'll never be really great because the foundation is so hosed.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Baronjutter posted:

It's been a real 5 steps forward 3 steps back 1 step sideways sort of thing with each update though. We payin' to try to bolt a good game on top of a bad game but it'll never be really great because the foundation is so hosed.

I mean I use to think that too, but wiz is pretty ruthlessly tearing those foundations down and building anew. Rest in piss tiles. As an actual 4x it's much more tightly paced, and when diplo is finally implemented it might actually be a Very Good Game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fuligin posted:

A lot of goons really want to hate it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fuligin posted:

I mean I use to think that too, but wiz is pretty ruthlessly tearing those foundations down and building anew. Rest in piss tiles. As an actual 4x it's much more tightly paced, and when diplo is finally implemented it might actually be a Very Good Game.

Yeah he is, and I think he's mostly on the right track, but I think the end result would be better if he was just ruthlessly making a new game from the ground up and releasing it in a year or two.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Fuligin posted:

Yeah, I don't think Stellaris is hopeless like, say, HoI4 is, but it sucks to be over a year(is it 2 now? I don't even know) since it released and still talking about how amazing it might be one day.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Fuligin posted:

Yeah, I'm with you. Ripping out both alternate FTL styles like that is a move in scale almost unheard of in games nowadays, but he did it because it'll make the game better, and he's shown no problem doing that with other things.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah he is, and I think he's mostly on the right track, but I think the end result would be better if he was just ruthlessly making a new game from the ground up and releasing it in a year or two.

I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact that paradox actively develops their games for what seems to be an eternity now, so I think in the end this will make it faster.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 23, 2018

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Mans posted:

A bold take.

technically accurate still

Beamed posted:

Yeah, I don't think Stellaris is hopeless like, say, HoI4 is, but it sucks to be over a year(is it 2 now? I don't even know) since it released and still talking about how amazing it might be one day.

tbh I think it is. It's a game that tries to have random variance in otherwise fairly generic and lifeless empires via tech and events, except tech just means you might lag beyond the various milestones purely out of chance (looking at you, neighbor who got destroyers while I was still piddling at tier one weapons) and for both that and events there are objectively correct and superior choices, even if they sometimes swap around on major patches. (Except strikecraft being dumpsters, of course.) This in combination with the fact that there really isn't a lot of choice in the first place makes things very weird. And bad.

It feels like they were inspired by Sword of the Stars and it's whole random tech tree, giving the various races different feels and then giving empires within the same species different tech possibilities ontop of that, while just attaching it to a short tech tree out of Civilization. And even then, both SotS and Civ (although the former especially) had a tactical combat system of some sort where differences in tech paths could be leveraged in your tactics and approach, where in Stellaris you shove your fleet into their fleet and hope the numbers pan out.

I don't think the whole core design premise for Stellaris can lead to a good game. It probably ought to have been EU4 in spaaaace, with a million idea groups replacing tech or something.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It would be fun to have a big tech overhaul for Stellaris, where each ethos gives more unique techs, there is a unique tree for like bio/hive minds, whole sub trees can randomly exist or not exist in a given game, etc.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Stellaris is good as hell, and where are the Rome dev diaries

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

Yeah, I'm with you. Ripping out both alternate FTL styles like that is a move in scale almost unheard of in games nowadays, but he did it because it'll make the game better, and he's shown no problem doing that with other things.

Yeah, but I liked both of those FTL systems a lot better than the one they kept, so why would I ever bother to play again?

And what was wrong with tiles? They made perfect sense.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Drone posted:

So for the goons that were able to go to PDXCon this year: was going to the event itself worth it? Someone (Ofaloaf?) had mentioned before that they kinda ran out of things to do my mid-afternoon on Saturday. Did Sunday's events/panels/etc. and the party thing make up for it?
I was the only goon who stuck around for the Saturday party and karaoke. It owned, even if the fact that my song never came up while some jerks got to go two or three times has torn away my ability to feel human.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

its make work that mostly exists to add on pointless micro

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

The thing that infuriated me was that when you started to get to mid to late game stuff, it became increasingly annoying to deal with different species, migration, constant building of the same poo poo, and where the AI wanted to grow a pop on newer worlds. It was just beyond tedious and became more and more cumbersome as the game dragged on. If this new system helps deal with that, I'll be pretty happy. It will also be interesting to see if some planets will get more than 25 slots in it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
tiles also were a vector for player agency to directly turn into a game advantage, because the AI is worse at using tiles than a smart player

kinda like how wokers in the civ games are one of the ways a human wins over the AI

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The lame thing about tiles is the game doesn't take advantage of it at all. There should be adjacency bonuses and choices to be made and instead it's just a dull tedium of clicking.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

uPen posted:

The lame thing about tiles is the game doesn't take advantage of it at all. There should be adjacency bonuses and choices to be made and instead it's just a dull tedium of clicking.

I think there are adjacency bonuses for the capital buildings, but I can't recall any aside from that. Like how in democratic government types in Stellaris there's an "electoral mandate" mechanic, but the only thing it does is make every leader in the history of your society either elected on a "build four mining stations" platform or a "build four research stations" platform. Stellaris seems to have quite a few mechanics that barely exist.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
There were more adjacency bonuses at launch but people didn't like them from what I can recall?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Groogy posted:

There were more adjacency bonuses at launch but people didn't like them from what I can recall?

I think the reason was that they were too strong. Mines would boost adjacent mines and so players would ignore tiles and just put mines on every tile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The way planets work right now is just boring, tbh. Build the buildings that the tiles tell you to and then don’t look at the planet again for the rest of the game.