Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Roman Reigns posted:

Someone convince me why I shouldn’t sell or scrap my Dragon. I’ve only been on two missions with it and I’ve lost an arm in each. My only alternate heavy is a Quickdraw.

It's a serviceable brawler mech if you refit it. Strip out the LRM10 and the AC5, stick as many SRMs in the torso as you can, and some MGs or small lasers in the support hardpoints in the arms. Put the rest of the tonnage on armour. Bam, much better mech all round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Roman Reigns posted:

Someone convince me why I shouldn’t sell or scrap my Dragon. I’ve only been on two missions with it and I’ve lost an arm in each. My only alternate heavy is a Quickdraw.

Only success I had with it was leveraging it's speed as an AC20 delivery mechanism.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

60-ton mechs only got close to being good with the arrival of XL engines (Mad Dog what up) but still pretty much are always mediocre at best (Mad Dog what up again)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's not bad with jump jets if you're short on heavies; it's essentially a poor man's Grasshopper

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Rifleman and Cyclops when.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

It's a serviceable brawler mech if you refit it. Strip out the LRM10 and the AC5, stick as many SRMs in the torso as you can, and some MGs or small lasers in the support hardpoints in the arms. Put the rest of the tonnage on armour. Bam, much better mech all round.

jng2058 posted:

Only success I had with it was leveraging it's speed as an AC20 delivery mechanism.

Thanks, I’ll try these loadouts and see which works.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Roman Reigns posted:

I can't think of a single reason to field a Dragon. The initiative advantage is significant; if the only reason you field a heavy is because it's a heavy then grab some 55 ton mechs instead. The Quickdraw is just as useless to me. Here are my feelings on the Battlemechs based on what I've played in the game so far, going from this list since I haven't seen some even though I'm in about 50 hours played and have four assault mechs in my current lance.

Light
Locust: Target practice.
Commando: Target practice.
Spider: Target practice.
UrbanMech: I have never seen one in the game.
Firestarter: Potentially a lot of fun from a gimmick standpoint, or shutting down mechs with flamers. Useful in early game.
Jenner: Probably the most viable Light mech.
Panther: I never really bothered with these.
Raven: I have never seen one in the game. It was cut from launch. THANKS SARNA.

Medium
Cicada: Utterly forgettable mech that I thought was a light.
Blackjack: Not much of a fan; the sooner you can get rid of it the better.
Vindicator: I never had much of a use for it.
Centurion: By far the best LRM boat. Prioritize capping one if you can since they're so useful at destabilizing opponents. I only had one and used it even when I had heavies.
Enforcer: I never had much use for it.
Hunchback: Had I gotten these earlier in the game I would have used them a lot. Both variants have a lot of offensive potential. In combat they're also a huge threat.
Trebuchet: Inferior to the Centurion.
Griffin: A real workhorse for me in the mid-game. I love maxing out armor and using them as brawlers.
Kintaro: I could never really find a use for it.
Shadow Hawk: One of the three best medium mechs (along with Griffin and Centurion). Flexible workhorse.
Wolverine: I never really used them much.

Heavy
Dragon: Utterly useless.
Quickdraw: Suffers from being the lightest possible heavy. I'd rather field a high end medium.
Catapult: Lots of potential with the missile capability. Probably the first heavy I would consider.
JagerMech: The missile variant is a great upgrade from the Centurion. Definite workhorse.
Thunderbolt: I never really bothered with them.
Cataphract: I saw exactly one in the game, which sucks because they're one of my favorite mechs in the fiction.
Grasshopper: Incredibly fast energy boat. A definite workhorse when you max out with MLs and point defense weapons.
Black Knight: I wanted to like this since I love the Knight in the fiction, but I feel it's inferior to the Grasshopper.
Orion: Fitted with an AC/20 these became my favorite mechs to field before I got a bunch of assaults.

Assault
Awesome: I never really found a use for it.
Victor: Same as the Awesome.
Zeus: Same as the Awesome.
Battlemaster: Same as the Awesome.
Stalker: The best missile boat available. Fit with 2x LRM20 and 2x LRM15 with stability mods and have fun.
Highlander: I can field an entire lance of these and would be happy. Useful as a SRM boat, or the SLDF one is great for headcapping with AC-10s with damage bonuses. Great with jump jets.
Banshee: I end up selling these. Potentially a good brawler with the right mods, but I've never found a use.
King Crab: I'll tell you once I see one.
Atlas: I love this big stompy mech. It's a huge bullet sponge but mine currently has the Gauss and an AC-10 with damage bonus. My favorite headcapper.

So basically for me I focus on Firestarters, Jenners, Centurions, Hunchbacks, Griffins, Shadow Hawks, JagerMechs, Grasshoppers, Orions, Stalkers, Highlanders, and the 100 ton mechs. I haven't had much use for anything else, and now that I'm fielding four assaults and am swimming in cash I actively focus on salvaging better gear over most mech parts.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 23, 2018

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Raven isn't in the game, it got cut before launch.

E: Also Firestarters are really nice as a pocket Grasshopper, ditch the flamers, cram on MGs and 4MLs and you can murder a lot of stuff.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 23, 2018

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
My experience is that as soon as an enemy is detected, I get a free turn of movement (with the default sprint still on) for the rest of my squad and then combat rounds begin after my last dude has gone. This happens pretty much 100% of the time for me.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I've done alright with a jump capable kintaro loaded with as many srms as possible and then whatever else. Runs hot as gently caress but hopefully you can punch or jump away when you need it to take a breather. Certainly there are better mechs but you fight with the mechs you have, not the ones you want, etc

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

rear end in a top hat Tony the Firestarter hasn't killed Dekker yet and is still backstabbing and ammo-destroying heavies in a single jump.

Dekker will never escape Light Mech Hell. Never.

Seriously never underestimate the Firestarter, it's actually an amazing mech.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Dragon and Quickdraw are utterly terrible and should be an immediate stow or sell. They move an initiative round later, are 5% easier to hit, and are over-engined and have less available weapon tonnage than 55 ton mechs and remarkably less available weapon tonnage than the Centurion, Hunchback, and Enforcer. They have all of those disadvantages and get....3% more armor in exchange.

If you need to field a mech and have nothing else, sure, they will work. But avoid them if you can.

p.s. I feel the same way about the Cicada (40), Awesome (80), and Zeus (80).

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
It's called a Dragon. You are supposed to fill it with flamers and jump jets and arm gyros and go and bite other mechs heads off!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Eh.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 23, 2018

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The Raven is 100% a unique production. It was cut because it was an electronic warfare platform, in a game with no electronic warfare.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The Raven is 100% a unique production. It was cut because it was an electronic warfare platform, in a game with no electronic warfare.

I could see that being fun for DLC.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Whoops, you are right.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I liked the electronic warfare in Mechcommander 2. Maps were large enough that you could use these immense sensor ranges, and depending on your gear/skill, you'd get anything from a blip, to differentiating what size of mechs were on the radar. I'm pretty sure it had ECM as well, which would bubble around you and drop the effectiveness of any active radar on them.

I'm not sure how it would work in HBS Battletech but I'm a fan of EW.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Zeus is a tire fire but what's wrong with the Awesome? It always seemed just fine to me.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Remember in the old MPBT3025 how they really wanted to include the Raven even though the game was 3025-era and their eventual solution was simply to replace the ECM and other advanced tech with equivalent-tonnage era-appropriate weapons (ignoring that it only had the tonnage to mount that gear in the first place thanks to the FF armour and XL engine). It ended up with something like an LRM-10, four MLs and the SRM-6. On a 3025-era 35-tonner. It Was Nuts

edit: actually I think it was two SRM-6s. Or maybe a 6 and a 4?

peer fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 23, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Night10194 posted:

The Zeus is a tire fire but what's wrong with the Awesome? It always seemed just fine to me.

For me it was basically okay but extremely underwhelming. Heat generation/sinking and PPCs don’t mix well when your primary armament is three of them, in this game. For the tonnage I always felt like I was being woefully subpar and there are other chassis I’d rather refit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think it's that the Awesome I grabbed was the missile variant rather than Full PPC famous TT Awesome.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Pretty sure this is why the raven was cut for launch: making EW fun and balanced is difficult and they had other things to do in the time available. Maybe down the line, we’ll see it making LRM boaters extremely mad :v:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

I liked the electronic warfare in Mechcommander 2. Maps were large enough that you could use these immense sensor ranges, and depending on your gear/skill, you'd get anything from a blip, to differentiating what size of mechs were on the radar. I'm pretty sure it had ECM as well, which would bubble around you and drop the effectiveness of any active radar on them.

There is a stat called "signature" that apparently affects things like sensor detection ranges, maybe that can be hosed with?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Night10194 posted:

If there was a PPC+ that did >61 points of damage it would be a must-field for headshotting purposes. As it stands right now I just haven't found a reason to field it. If it was one of your first assaults then it would make sense, but when I got it I already had a Stalker, Atlas, and two Highlanders.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Roman Reigns posted:

Both the Dragon and the Quickdraw are garbage. There's no role they can do that the 55ton mediums can't perform better, and the 50 tonners (sans Trebuchet) are likewise all better chassis.

Only use one if you have literally no other 50+ ton mechs (or a Firestarter) to fill in the lance.

mods change my name posted:

I've done alright with a jump capable kintaro loaded with as many srms as possible and then whatever else. Runs hot as gently caress but hopefully you can punch or jump away when you need it to take a breather. Certainly there are better mechs but you fight with the mechs you have, not the ones you want, etc

Kintaro is neck to neck with the Centurion as the best brawling medium - SRM4/SRM6 are in fact the most damage/heat efficient non-support weapons (even better than MLas!), and a Kintaro can field 5 of them. You can set the mech up to either very efficiently vomit damage all day, or be a fast striker that drops some impressive alpha loads.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Firestarter: Potentially a lot of fun from a gimmick standpoint, or shutting down mechs with flamers. Useful in early game.
Jenner: Probably the most viable Light mech.

Firestarters can pack 6 heat-neutral MGs on top of MLas, or go all-in on SLas. They punch above their weight in a very real, non-gimmick way, and dunk on Jenners.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

DrPop posted:

60-ton mechs only got close to being good with the arrival of XL engines (Mad Dog what up) but still pretty much are always mediocre at best (Mad Dog what up again)

Always had a soft spot for the Mad Dog. It's like a Timber Wolf that realized how good clan pulse lasers are but forgot armor in it's enthusiasm.

Mechcommander could get away with it because it was real-time rather than turn-based, so running around gigantic maps didn't take as long. A Mechcommander-size HBS Battletech map would be miserably interminable.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah you could probably do big maps if it was real time until engagement but I don't see that there would be any point without more mission variety. Otherwise it's just a lot more dev work and just bigger spaces between each group of baddies

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Night10194 posted:

The energy version is really bad; there's just nothing good you can field with it. PPCs and LLs are very inefficient, and that's the only way upwards from Mlas boating that other, lighter mechs do better.

The missile version is functional, but the lack of ballistics means that it's essentially a worse Orion or Thunderbolt despite all the extra tonnage it gets.

"Worse than an Orion" is the key problem of all the 80-85 assaults*, really.

*Except the Stalker, obviously. That thing rocks.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Is the Unseen mod done yet. Some grognard has had to have done this already yeah? I'm not gunna fire this up until I can open up Harmony Golds website on my second monitor while flipping it off as I create my Warhammer.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
i started a new game recently with the starting shadowhawk removed, and actually used/refitted the locust 1-v. it is surprisingly useful if you swap the mgs for small lasers and uparmor it. it works really well for stomping on light vehicles, or running behind heavier mechs and kicking them in the back.

i replaced it with a decent medium as soon as i could, but it's not bad for the early game or in skirmish mode. also, the 1-m version punches above its weight in skirmish mode if you keep it out of los and constantly firing lrms indirectly. the 1-s has far too little armor to be anything but a deathtrap.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If there was a PPC+ that did >61 points of damage it would be a must-field for headshotting purposes. As it stands right now I just haven't found a reason to field it. If it was one of your first assaults then it would make sense, but when I got it I already had a Stalker, Atlas, and two Highlanders.

PPCs can become a lot more useful if you let their debuff stack. Connecting with all three from an Awesome would drop the target's to-hit chance by a flat 15% (effectively 20% or more for most pilots)

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Roman Reigns posted:

I had good success with running my dragons. AC5, two big SRMs, medium lasers (idk maybe you can get an AC10 in there?). Always move to get the max mobility pips, try to circle around to expose butt meat. Fire your poo poo while closing in, then punch the enemy out. Punch light mechs, stomp vehicles, plink away at everything else then punch them too for good measure.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GruntyThrst posted:

Can someone confirm my suspicions that Bulwark doesn’t reduce stability damage? RAW it says you are granted guarded which give you 50% damage reduction, but it DOESN’T mention entrenched which is the stability buff from bracing.

I'm pretty sure Bulwark doesn't reduce stability damage yes. You only get the damage reduction.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
So after 71 hours I have finally liberated Coromodir! Though the final 15 hours or so were mostly me playing pokemechs trying to get a few more assaults. I figured I was good to go after I managed to pick up an atlas, and then on a random 3 and a half skull mission before doing the finale, another atlas popped up and was promptly taken home.

The B team went and did the first part of the mission, and my final drop looked something like this:

PC in the grasshopper and the last two members of the original crew in the atlases, may have been overkill but it seemed appropriate since my company had been rolling around the periphery arming themselves to the teeth for the last four years on some princess' dime.

If you haven't put jumpjets on an atlas yet you really owe it to yourself to see its hilarious flying pose/animation.

On the topic of Bulwark, it gives you the 'Guarded' status, which reduces damage, but I don't think it gives the 'Entrenched' one that you get when bracing, which is what reduces stability damage.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
The awesome had way to much armor for its usual role (fire support). Drop its armor to about 1000+ total, and 3xPPC, 1xLL 2xPPC, 1xLL or PPC 2xLRM20 works great with a pilot that has bulwark.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Holy poo poo.

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/148

The entire Inner Sphere.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

The PPC Awesome is probably the best way to field PPCs when paired with a gun 2 pilot. You can put a good chunk of single hit location damage and stability damage on 3 mechs no matter where they are (within LOS of course) and what they are doing. I used one for a long time.

No local contracts is a bad design choice IMO. The boring 5 minutes of cutscenes and travel between planets is already the worst part of the game, why add so much more of it?

Edit: Luckily it appears to be easily changeable, just a JSON edit.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 23, 2018

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I found binning one of the nipple PPCs for 4 medium lasers and adding some heat sinks made it do more consistent damage overtime for me. I always feel PPCs maybe do a little bit too little damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Medium
Cicada: Utterly forgettable mech that I thought was a light.

The Cicada usually shows up with some decent firepower, but in hauling around that PPC it gives up so much armor its easily mistaken for a light for how quickly it disappears into a crater.

Flipswitch posted:

I found binning one of the nipple PPCs for 4 medium lasers and adding some heat sinks made it do more consistent damage overtime for me. I always feel PPCs maybe do a little bit too little damage.

IIRC, they neutered the PPCs to make the game more balanced. The PPC is almost universally a monster damage dealer in other games.

The achilles heel for the PPC in most games (and the board game) was its minimum range.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 23, 2018