Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

has anybody else encountered a bug where injured ship crew don't ever heal? i've got them in the sick bay, i've got a medic assigned with medical supplies, but two of my crew have red injury text "INJURED FOR X DAYS" and they have NEVER gotten better. the main world screen for the boat even shows a 0 next to the blood drop injury counter, and i can't figure out why the two injured crew seem to stay at a permanent injury level. i've probably passed a month of in-game time since they were first hurt, and the INJURED FOR X DAYS counter never moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

rope kid posted:

A great scythe is passing through all of your favorite builds and gear.

Oh god he's cutting all the Monks' hands off

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Huzzah!

now we will know who to blame

There was a decent list of perceived-as-overpowered abilities on the official forums here:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/99868-the-big-nerf-list-patch-12-wip/

I don't agree with all of it (the ascended buff is just fine!) but it's a good starting place. I hope upscaling weaker abilities gets as much attention as downscaling the OP stuff , but I suspect you've seen my pet peeves there (several Cipher abilities, from Mental Binding through Ancestor's Honor to Haunting Chains, are just flat-out not worthwhile; defensive mindweb should go away on crit not on any damage; )
Some things will come up, but our main focus is on bringing incredibly overpowered bonuses down. There are definitely subclasses and individual abilities that should be stronger, but the general complaints seem to be more about overall ease of combat than the subclasses/abilities that fall short.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Chanter should get an ability that let's then run two chant sets at once called scatting

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'll say this, I'd rather have enemies get a bunch more health or offensive capabilities than a bunch more defensive stats, if a rebalance is in order. It's still annoying as poo poo missing, particularly with empowered abilities. Empowered abilities really shouldn't miss, or graze, or do anything but hits and crits. You only get one of them!

e: Also, in that thing HA linked to, someone made a mod to give arquebuses (arquebi?) pierce/crush damage. That's a fascinatingly great idea.

jokes fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 23, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

rope kid posted:

Some things will come up, but our main focus is on bringing incredibly overpowered bonuses down. There are definitely subclasses and individual abilities that should be stronger, but the general complaints seem to be more about overall ease of combat than the subclasses/abilities that fall short.

Yeah, that's fair. My . . . "concern" is far too strong a word . . . suspicion? Is that a few classes (ciphers, maybe rangers, maybe priests) are basically coasting right now on the general ease of the game, and if the overall difficulty is corrected, their problems will spring into a sharper relief. That's second-order concern though admittedly.

jokes posted:

e: Also, in that thing HA linked to, someone made a mod to give arquebuses (arquebi?) pierce/crush damage. That's a fascinatingly great idea.

Yeah, that was a mod request of mine. I thought it'd be a good idea but after playing with it in the intro I'm not so sure. The problem is that things with low crush armor tend to have really low crush armor, so you overpenetrate like crazy with every shot. Theoretically of course you have the same issue with a mace, but the mace has lower DPS and lower alpha strike, so it's less marked.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 23, 2018

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Well since we are talking balance I'm gonna add that Priest is a MANDATORY CLASS (on my 5melee party gimmick and multiclassed ofc).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

rope kid posted:

Great scythe confirmed as new weapon type!

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone got a link to that nifty coloured spreadsheet that lists out all of the inspirations and afflictions and what stat they fall under?

I love the way the system works but some of the wording isn’t particularly intuitive, I can’t remember which attribute ties to which affliction.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
One thing that I found made much of the game easy in my playthrough (veteran, not sure if/how PotD changes this) is that no enemy in the entire game pierce the armor on my frontline. Backline characters took decent damage but Eder (in Fleshmender) seemed to only get hurt once in a blue moon while my main character (Paladin - Patinated Plate) was basically invincible and never more than 10 HP from max. I seriously think enemies, including big ones like Nemnok or the Guardian of Ukaizo, simply don't have enough penetration.

In my opinion (emphasis on opnion) on a high difficulty I think not being penetrated should largely be a myth and ensuring you are equipped enough to not be overpenned should be key.

As it was it was literally impossible for the game to challenge me short of being charmed. And now that I know what encounters carry that poo poo I can stay prepped with Svef.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

PotD and Level Scaling now add Penetration (in the next patch).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

rope kid posted:

PotD and Level Scaling now add Penetration (in the next patch).

I feel like a genius! I called it!

edit: wait nevermind, I was backwards , you mean NPC's get added penetration, not Players get lower pen. Also a good change.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's great news ropekid. High armor is so great, that at least introduces some amount of danger to the frontline.

Some amount of danger that isn't limited to "pray you don't deal with a loving fampyr, an enemy that can simultaneously dominate 4 people who each have will above 100. Otherwise, you'll be fine."

I really, really hate fampyrs.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hey Ropekid is it a bug that when I shoot a barrel from stealth and it blows up killing a bunch of enemies, none of the surviving enemies get curious about what killed their buddies?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'd like POTD to require effort basically. Right now it's rare that I have to circumvent the AI system and actually micro my party. The AI system is cool and good but POTD should be challenging enough that letting your party coast with AI shouldn't be enough.

Empowering is something that needs to probably be addressed too. Ropekid can make encounters more challenging from a stats perspective but I dunno if that solves the issue of me having Aloth empower a delayed blast fireball and blow up an entire encounter in seconds.

Yeah, that's fair. My . . . "concern" is far too strong a word . . . suspicion? Is that a few classes (ciphers, maybe rangers, maybe priests) are basically coasting right now on the general ease of the game, and if the overall difficulty is corrected, their problems will spring into a sharper relief. That's second-order concern though admittedly.

Priests will always have a place due to withdraw, devotions, and holy radiance. Those three abilities alone make it worth having one imo. They definitely aren't as brokenly powerful as other classes though.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

GrandpaPants posted:

My guess is that the level scaling only really affects 1 and maybe 3 up to a certain equipment quality, while your characters advance on all three fronts. Regardless of how level scaling works, your dudes will always outpace the enemies if level scaling is just a straight up numerical advantage, which still makes the game too easy. So scaling would either need to just add more numbers, which is sorta just more adding numerical advantage, or giving the enemies new abilities, which probably requires additional AI work and some testing.

IIRC the moddable files have level tables for all enemies, and they do get new abilities at each level. So that aspect is definitely tunable and in play.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

tekz posted:

i commend obsidian on this, class warfare is evil and peasants need to know their place

it raises it's head more than once and not only where regards skaen. Off the top of my head in WM1 there was a band of monks you get set on, guilty of preaching that the rich should be dragged from their keeps and their belongings redistributed to their serfs. I thought "oh cool can't wait to chat this one out, maybe I'm being a bit too sensiti-" nope, they're red instantly, no better than wichts.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

rope kid posted:

Got it, heading to the official forums to loudly complain about animal-companion-focused Ranger abilities right now.

I don't really get all the complaints about Ciphers tbh. Focus generation seems fine and their passives are better than those of a lot of other classes.
They don't have a lot of actually good actives so building a Cipher is a little boring but it's not like they don't have any.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wizard Styles posted:

Got it, heading to the official forums to loudly complain about animal-companion-focused Ranger abilities right now.

I don't really get all the complaints about Ciphers tbh. Focus generation seems fine and their passives are better than those of a lot of other classes.
They don't have a lot of actually good actives so building a Cipher is a little boring but it's not like they don't have any.

Charm still seems plenty powerful as well. Spamming Whispers and Puppet Master is effective just like it was in Poe1.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I guess there are a lot of powers that are actually really strong, even on supposedly weaker classes, that are getting overlooked because everything is too easy, the game is still very new, descriptions can be confusing or misleading and some combos are both obvious and completely broken.

Wasn't there someone here who had his priest melt the screen with giant damage shining beacon ticks? And that's a fire spell, so there are tons of items that could boost its power level through the roof. Storm of holy fire can also apparently deal busted amounts of damage, too. People are saying disintegrate's tool tip is not a display bug, it legitimately does deal thousands of raw damage over time with one cast. Evasive fire allows for a very cheap, fast, decent damage attack with no recovery which is also an amazing mobility tool (and I think the value of simple mobility skills like escape is being overlooked right now, too). I bet there are more really strong spells on "weak" classes that aren't obvious choices for a power build and so aren't being discussed.

That's not to say there are no problems with those classes -- ciphers probably have a dearth of good picks, but the good spells they do get are too good; most priest buffs look pretty bad, but maybe they're amazing if you build them as nukers. Except almost nobody knows that because all the nukes are mid to high level, so you legitimately suck until then. Rangers have to invest a ton of skill picks into what feels like the basic functionality of their class, then they don't feel like they get to do enough cool things themselves (ghost heart avoids that and feels really good, though). But I'm not sure people have a proper sense of class balance yet, not just because game balance doesn't exist, but actually almost nobody is really familiar with what the classes can do beyond a few highly discussed combos.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I find charm type abillities too much of a hassle, just makes one enemy avoid my other spells and I have to go out of my way to poke it to dead after everything else.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

bitmap posted:

it raises it's head more than once and not only where regards skaen. Off the top of my head in WM1 there was a band of monks you get set on, guilty of preaching that the rich should be dragged from their keeps and their belongings redistributed to their serfs. I thought "oh cool can't wait to chat this one out, maybe I'm being a bit too sensiti-" nope, they're red instantly, no better than wichts.

Why wouldn't they be hostile? They probably have sympathizers in Stalwart and know that you've accepted a bounty on their heads in addition to you being a rich castle haver

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Heithinn Grasida posted:

What do you think it should get? I played a shadowdancer with trickster for awhile and it seemed okay. It led my party in damage, but still felt fairly anemic compared to other class combos I've tried. I did like being really drat durable on PotD even with a constitution of 8. By the time you get deathblows, the penalty probably isn't even very significant, but that's very late in the game. In the end, streetfighter would have been a far better choice for a tanky rogue and probably have taken less damage by virtue of killing things faster.

I think the main issue is that the spells you get aren't good enough, except maybe for at the very top tier, but those cost too much. I didn't mind spending guile on the spells at all -- in fact getting a use for my guile that left me free to focus on rogue passives and monk skills was really good. But the spells also didn't add enough.

Arkemyr's dazzling lights rarely felt worth the casting time compared to just killing things. If it had a longer duration or an instant cast, I think it would be worth it.

Mirror image is good, especially since you can just recast it over and over. But you can also just use escape or shadowing beyond over and over if your main use for guile is defense. The spell doesn't really add much that rogues don't have already. If this were a special version that gave less deflection, but that stacked with other bonuses, it would feel better as a constant use for guile to boost defense.

Confusion is highly situational, so it's hard to know when this would be worth it.

I didn't get gaze of the adragan, but it seems like a very high cost, both in class resources and cast time for a short duration debuff, even if it's powerful.

I think the designers didn't want the trickster's spells to outshine a wizard's, but by making the trickster a lovely rogue with lovely wizard spells, it just becomes a lovely class. The idea is to sacrifice damage for defense and utility, but characters that want to do that would pretty much always be better served by an option other than trickster. Actually it needs spells that are stronger than what a wizard gets and that complement its skillset better for anyone to justify the pick.

You've pretty much hit on what the Trickster needs in your analysis. They need their versions of the illusion spells they get to cast instantly like the other Rogue abilities. Considering they get their versions of the spells later than wizards and they cost Guile, which is more limited than spells slots, it would be a good balance. If that's too powerful, specific spells would need to cost more Guile, but most of the powerful spells have a hefty recovery time in any case that balances out their usefulness on a Rogue.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

Why wouldn't they be hostile? They probably have sympathizers in Stalwart and know that you've accepted a bounty on their heads in addition to you being a rich castle haver

yeah I forgot about the castle

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

I'm a hearth orlan cipher/assassin and it's pretty mental. Very, very high single target damage, never ending charms, giant aoe effects which trigger sneak attack, multiple insta-teleports out of danger if someone notices me. I don't see anything far up the cipher tree that I give a drat about, but I'm multi so c'est la vie.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Entropy238 posted:

Has anyone got a link to that nifty coloured spreadsheet that lists out all of the inspirations and afflictions and what stat they fall under?

Look at the last picture of the very first post in this thread :)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

Ginette Reno posted:

Charm still seems plenty powerful as well. Spamming Whispers and Puppet Master is effective just like it was in Poe1.

Yeah, that's all fair. The problem is basically lack of versatility and build choices, especially at the top end. The class functions but a lot of what made it really POP in the first game is missing in the second.

The good abilities are the charms, so you spend a lot of time after fights end waiting for your charms to expire so you can finish off the enemy for loot/exp, or hitting on charmed inactive enemies who stand there doing nothing (Ringleader is especially annoying for this). All the Paralyze effects are super-short duration, so that style of play is just deprecated, and there are only three active abilities to choose from at ranks 6, 7, 8, and 9, so for the latter half of the game there's little versatility, just "pick the power you like and a couple passives, then spam that power every fight." And even a couple of abilities that were useful in the first game (defensive mindweb, mental binding) have been nerfed in this one, so there's just a general lack of versatility and role choice that other classes have in spades.

The limited active ability choices also mean you're stuck in particular roles at particular level ranges. Like, while Level IV powers are your top abilities, everyone takes Body Attunement and Pain Block, and you're a buffer/debuffer for a few levels; which is fine and useful, but I've read reviewers complaining about how their character just turned into a Pain Block spammer for a few levels. At level seven, there's only one useful active power (stasis shell), so you just pick that one and some passives and move on.

There's a lot of room to add active abilities to the class so that you could build them with a little more versatility. Fix the existing buffs & give them, say, party-based Dex and Int inspirations and you could make them great party buffers to complement the other casters. Fix the existing debuffs (wtf, haunting chains?) and add a few more AoE debuff options and they could be great debuff CC. Fix paralyze and they could be great hard CC (along with the charms).

As it is now . . . the best you can say is that the class is playable. You've got strong charms and some solid damage powers and that's about it.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

That's not to say there are no problems with those classes -- ciphers probably have a dearth of good picks, but the good spells they do get are too good; most priest buffs look pretty bad, but maybe they're amazing if you build them as nukers. Except almost nobody knows that because all the nukes are mid to high level, so you legitimately suck until then. Rangers have to invest a ton of skill picks into what feels like the basic functionality of their class, then they don't feel like they get to do enough cool things themselves (ghost heart avoids that and feels really good, though). But I'm not sure people have a proper sense of class balance yet, not just because game balance doesn't exist, but actually almost nobody is really familiar with what the classes can do beyond a few highly discussed combos.

That's all fair too. Like, Time Parasite absolutely should not stack with itself, that's insane (especially if you're an Ascendant).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 23, 2018

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Nerf charms, buff lovely spells.
This class just got balanced :smuggo:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Give Ciphers the old Mental Binding, but up the tier that it's available so it requires more Focus
There, one of the abilities is fixed

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Anyone have a good leveling path? I'm wondering if I should stick to the main city and quest there, or do some roaming first. (Just restarted a new character, Dwarf Monk / Barb who gets bloody and punches people)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Eraflure posted:

Nerf charms, buff lovely spells.
This class just got balanced :smuggo:

You could probably shave five or six seconds off of the Charm durations and add six seconds onto most Paralyze durations and both categories of power would be markedly improved. It might make Killers Froze Stiff a little crazy but it would honestly make Ringleader less annoying to use -- I tend to actively avoid that power because of how awkward it makes the mop up phase of the fight.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Yeah, that's fair. My . . . "concern" is far too strong a word . . . suspicion? Is that a few classes (ciphers, maybe rangers, maybe priests) are basically coasting right now on the general ease of the game, and if the overall difficulty is corrected, their problems will spring into a sharper relief.

i think ciphers especially got dunked on hard with all of the other caster classes changing to per-encounter spells and the overall devaluation of CC spells.

having to build focus to use your powers is pretty cumbersome when every other caster can just cast their best powers as fast as they want.

tekeha can summon a water double and fire off 4x water bombs within the first 15 seconds of combat.

serafin can use his best power once, or a couple weaker powers 2-3 times, and then he has to actually start hitting his opponent with a weapon to be able to re-gain his spells.

it'd be one thing if cipher powers were bar-none the BEST spells so at least you could justify not wanting them to be able to use them nearly at will, but everything they do seems situational. since the best status malus you can give an enemy is Dead, alpha-striking the enemy into the ground is generally a better strategy than slowly incapacitating them.

it'd also be a different consideration if fights were lasting a very long time, so a cipher could have value from being able to reuse powers throughout the fight, vs ex-vancian casters running out of casts and then being screwed. but fights are rarely lasting more than a few seconds, and most of the high priority targets (enemy spell casters) are not targets you want sticking around a long time anyway, so it's still optimal to nuke them fast and then take time mopping up their tanks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I like how Dwarves are such a clear afterthought to this setting that there are no dwarf companions and no major dwarf NPCs in Deadfire. Especially since the Dwarf companion in the original was from Deadfire and is just completely absent along with her tribe and any indication they exist.

Elves also barely exist but they have some representation at least and at least one memorable 'gently caress elves, they live forever' joke.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

rope kid posted:

My poor chanters (increase the non-offensive cones to 4m instead of 2.5m please and thank you).

This patch going to include some performance improvements? The fans on my laptop go crazy in sea battles and in Neketaka even with all of the graphics options turned off/down.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Freaking Crumbum posted:

it'd be one thing if cipher powers were bar-none the BEST spells so at least you could justify not wanting them to be able to use them nearly at will, but everything they do seems situational. since the best status malus you can give an enemy is Dead, alpha-striking the enemy into the ground is generally a better strategy than slowly incapacitating them.

Yup. And even the best Cipher powers are generally DoTs (disintegrate, 10,000 cuts), which just become redundant when Aloth can swap in a grimoire with Minoletta's Salvo, Empower it, and insta-gib anything.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zore posted:

I like how Dwarves are such a clear afterthought to this setting that there are no dwarf companions and no major dwarf NPCs in Deadfire. Especially since the Dwarf companion in the original was from Deadfire and is just completely absent along with her tribe and any indication they exist.

Elves also barely exist but they have some representation at least and at least one memorable 'gently caress elves, they live forever' joke.

It’s less that dwarves are an afterthought and more that Pillars as a setting consciously puts the emphasis on national identity over racial identity and there is no dwarven ethnostate sooo

Elves are a little more prominent because Aedyr.

Personally I think this is a very good thing. The tendency of fantasy fiction to skew towards racial essentialism leads to some seriously gross subtext.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I think the issue is that level scaling in D&D is based around a specific experience of fighting goblins at Level 1, fighting ogres at Level 5, fighting vampires at Level 10... and your DM just doesn't let you (seriously) fight level-inappropriate monsters or go to level-inappropriate dungeons. You never have to work out the maths for Level 20 xaurips because a Level 20 xaurip is called a "glabrezu" or a "adamantine golem"; at level 20, you don't go to Xaurip Island for an adventure, you exclusively go to demonic hellgates or dragon lairs.

This is at odds with PoE's preferred style of non-linear sidequest locations and sustained focus on fantasy geopolitics - at Level 20, it is entirely plausible and intentional that you might run across Xaurip Island, or have an endgame quest where the antagonists are kith soldiers for Rauatai or the VTC. You can't have the same fiction that all your endgame enemies "just happen" to be "naturally" 20 levels higher than your earlygame enemies because they're mostly the same enemies.

My preference... well, my preference would be to get rid of levelling giving bigger numbers if they only exist to balance other bigger numbers, but aside from that: my preference would be to reflect xaurip weakness in their stats rather than level, and allow those stats to level-scale appropriately for players with level-scaling on. A Level 20 xaurip should have proportionately the same stats as a Level 4 xaurip - xaurip frailty, then, should be reflected in the relative difference between xaurip stats and player stats, not in xaurips being Level 4 and always being Level 4, to the point they become completely useless as an encounter.

However I'm still waiting for the balance/dispositions patch so maybe I've got this all wrong.

rope kid posted:

Honestly, the upcoming patch will be the first real and sober attempt at power balancing. During my playthroughs (and going through Backer Beta feedback) I saw a lot of eye-watering builds and content that didn't vary much on Veteran and PotD.

For the upcoming patch, I am personally reviewing every adjustment to character abilities, equipment base properties and upgrades, and Veteran/PotD encounter tuning. The massive variability does make balancing more difficult, but I think it will be in a healthy place by the time the next patch rolls out.

thank you :rip: kid

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Chairchucker posted:

Hey Ropekid is it a bug that when I shoot a barrel from stealth and it blows up killing a bunch of enemies, none of the surviving enemies get curious about what killed their buddies?
That is a bug, yes.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Lt. Danger posted:

I think the issue is that level scaling in D&D is based around a specific experience of fighting goblins at Level 1, fighting ogres at Level 5, fighting vampires at Level 10... and your DM just doesn't let you (seriously) fight level-inappropriate monsters or go to level-inappropriate dungeons. You never have to work out the maths for Level 20 xaurips because a Level 20 xaurip is called a "glabrezu" or a "adamantine golem"; at level 20, you don't go to Xaurip Island for an adventure, you exclusively go to demonic hellgates or dragon lairs.

later editions (after AD&D) attempted to implement the abilities for monsters to scale in power and it mostly didn't go well

3.X used things like phantom racial hit die and ECL and templates and the ability to give class levels to monsters in addition to their baseline powers and it was a poo poo show, mostly because 3.X monster math had no unifying baseline for how a monster should "work". monsters had a CL rating that was supposed to reflect how hard they would be to fight for characters of a given level, but because monsters of a given CL could have WILDLY different powers, it was only useful as a very general ballpark measure of how hard a monster might be

4E used more defined templates for monsters, specifying both what base role they were supposed to be (tank or striker or controller or etc) and also what individual power level they should have (are they a trash minion or a solo encounter). it worked better than 3.X but still ran into issues where the roles didn't always scale at the same rate, and a lot of people hated how "samey" the monsters could feel because a level 4 orc Fighter was basically the same thing as a level 4 manticore, except for how they were described (both were "soldiers" so the core math and abilities were similar)

fwiw i enjoy having monsters w/ set power levels. it can be a fun challenge to try and figure out how to overcome something much more powerful than you, and it can also be cathartic to go back to the level 2 goblin cave and stomp new mud holes in them when you're a level 20 poo poo kicker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lt. Danger posted:

My preference... well, my preference would be to get rid of levelling giving bigger numbers if they only exist to balance other bigger numbers

I think a lot of RPGs could be improved by killing the sacred cow that is vertical progression, honestly. It's something I really love in tabletop RPGs, too--games like Fragged Empire and Strike! don't really have numbers that grow very much, even as you gain levels. They both still have some vertical progression (access to better weapons and armor in Fragged, slight damage growth in Strike!), but the biggest thing that changes is how much more versatile you become and how many more options you get for preventing damage, controlling the battlefield, and that kind of thing. The enemy bestiary for Strike! also provides ways to scale enemies up for higher-level players and it mostly takes the form of giving them new moves and upgrading their soft CCs to hard CCs rather than just adding on bigger numbers.