Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ginette Reno posted:

I can't decide if I want him to a party member if there's a Poe3 or if I wanna spite him again somehow.

Search your feelings, you know it's the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok I am now an orlan in a party of humans

why is it still rare to see one of my kind so far north

north of where

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok I am now an orlan in a party of humans

why is it still rare to see one of my kind so far north

north of where

The Dyrwood I assume.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FunkMonkey posted:

The Dyrwood I assume.

I think we're technically south of the dyrwood and also of old vailia which is where I am theoretically from

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone else get invisible characters and enemies in parts of Husonga? Or whatever that place is called, early in the main quest.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 24, 2018

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think we're technically south of the dyrwood and also of old vailia which is where I am theoretically from

Eh, you go north far enough....

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Kana just stopped by to say hi, and the conversation options just looped through ovwr and over again until I said I had to go, at which point I commented on rautai warships blockading crookspur, despite not having gone to talk to atsura yet, and also last time I was there for Furrante / the other pirate I wound up killing all of the slavers, and I wasnt actually near crookspur to begin with...

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Big apologies if this has been mentioned already, but did anyone else run into a bug with Malnaj ambushing you after you let Remaro go? The fight on the ship just kinda... ends, and nothing else happens until I click to exit the ship screen. No quips from Serafen, nothing. I have a hard time believing this is intentional, and since this seems to be an unavoidable encounter I feel kinda stuck.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

PirateBob posted:

Anyone else get invisible characters and enemies in parts of Husonga? Or whatever that place is called, early in the main quest.

Yeah, part of the map wouldn't reveal when I walked through it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

FunkMonkey posted:

She cackles and says things in an erotic tone of voice like "that's it, just like that!" It was pretty prominent for me - whole fights could go by with her not pausing. It got old quickly.

I noticed that the voice lines in combat basically stopped after I completed the quest, which is kind of the opposite of what I expected to happen. I get that it might get old but, I mean, no worse than any of your companions' voice lines that you hear all the time (and if you spec swords there are like ten other options so if you keep Modwyr past finishing the soulbound levelling chain it kinda feels like you're making a deliberate choice.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

albany academy posted:

Kana just stopped by to say hi, and the conversation options just looped through ovwr and over again until I said I had to go, at which point I commented on rautai warships blockading crookspur, despite not having gone to talk to atsura yet, and also last time I was there for Furrante / the other pirate I wound up killing all of the slavers, and I wasnt actually near crookspur to begin with...

That seems pretty in character for him tbh.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Regarding the skill check mace:
It requires 14 INT & 15 RES

Not too difficult. I was able to pick it up by shuffling gear around to match the scores.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

I noticed that the voice lines in combat basically stopped after I completed the quest, which is kind of the opposite of what I expected to happen. I get that it might get old but, I mean, no worse than any of your companions' voice lines that you hear all the time (and if you spec swords there are like ten other options so if you keep Modwyr past finishing the soulbound levelling chain it kinda feels like you're making a deliberate choice.

I am making a deliberate choice since the recovery boost stack and intellect affliction immunity make it good for Berserker. She stopped once I got to the penultimate stage of her growth so it's perfectly fine.

I suspect that she talks whenever you crit with her during the growth phases where you need to make kills or do damage, and since my guy has a very high hit to crit ratio this meant that she would literally never shut up - her lines bled into each other.

Anyway, wasn't meaning to whine or anything so much as make conversation.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

FunkMonkey posted:

I suspect that she talks whenever you crit with her during the growth phases where you need to make kills or do damage, and since my guy has a very high hit to crit ratio this meant that she would literally never shut up - her lines bled into each other.

Anyway, wasn't meaning to whine or anything so much as make conversation.

Yeah, it wasn't meant as criticism, more of a "hey I noticed this too but honest I kinda wish they hadn't done it that way and here's why". I guess for a crit focused build it would be way more annoying though: on my Chanter that wasn't focused on that it was more of an amusing little reward (in addition to, yaknow, all the extra damage etc.). I beelined it in my first game because hey, thirsty talking sword (I hadn't been following pre-release stuff): the actual pretty-solid mechanical abilities were a pleasant surprise that meant I ended up wielding it for the rest of that playthrough.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 24, 2018

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Am I correct in that it takes ages to get a mutiny? Or just oddly lucky? Currently level 11 and haven't had food or water for the crew since I got the ship, so morale has been at 11 max(thanks to ship battles) for quite some time.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It does take ages to get a mutiny. You'll hit a bunch of encounters at 0 morale before you finally get a proper mutiny (and if you are going for achievement you need to attack immediately without talking). I removed all food and just sailed back and forth across the map tabbed out and checked in occasionally.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If we're south of the Dyrwood then why do we start the game south of Port Maje, the southernmost port?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

FuzzySlippers posted:

It does take ages to get a mutiny. You'll hit a bunch of encounters at 0 morale before you finally get a proper mutiny (and if you are going for achievement you need to attack immediately without talking). I removed all food and just sailed back and forth across the map tabbed out and checked in occasionally.

I immediately shot the most prominent mutineer first time the mutiny happened ... which disarmed the mutiny and prevented the achievement. So I had to sail around at morale 0 for even longer to get a second mutiny and finally kill all of my remaining crew.

I also kept picking the wrong option in the (very, very many) low morale events, like allowing the crew to kill Worthless Idiot which sent me back up to 40 morale. It's like they didn't want to get brutally murdered by the world renowned captain god-botherer for some Berath Bucks.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Wow I must have been lucky because it only took me like three minutes of starved cruising before they were all "HEY TURDSTICK."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

bewilderment posted:

If we're south of the Dyrwood then why do we start the game south of Port Maje, the southernmost port?

The captain was asleep.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

bewilderment posted:

most of the plot in this game doesn't make much sense, try not to think too hard about it

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
That also means Eothas missed the exit and did a U-turn

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Because Deadfire is north of dyrwood, which is in the southern hemisphere.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

FunkMonkey posted:

Wow I must have been lucky because it only took me like three minutes of starved cruising before they were all "HEY TURDSTICK."
RNG is RNG

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

Because Deadfire is north of dyrwood, which is in the southern hemisphere.

The Deadfire was "quite a ways south" of the Dyrwood a few years ago but I have no idea if that's true now. Geography is largely unspecified.

The best effort map someone made from assorted random ropekid forum posts was

but that's certainly going to be wrong in many fun ways whenever this stuff is actually specified in a game. It's reasonable for the gross relations between the various known landmasses according to previous nonofficial hints, anyhow.

As for this game, you start at Port Maje because your boat is following the big rock man with souls in him, and he followed an Adra vein to that particular island.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Blockhouse posted:

what's a good class option for the matched gun/saber unique pair? I feel like that's the only proper weapon for a principi run.

How cheesy do you feel like being? Fighter is super cheesy, since charge hits multiple enemies with the saber, so has a high chance to proc the zero recovery buff, then cleaving stance apparently shoots every enemy in range with the pistol every time you drop someone in melee, which means you should basically never stop swinging your weapons at all after the first few seconds of a fight. If the enemies even last that long. You’re exploiting some of the most broken skills in the game, though. Combine it with monk’s swift flurry for even more cheese.

Blockhouse posted:

at this point I'm too far into Cipher/Ranger to really back down

If you’re not exploiting broken mechanics, this should be a good combo, one of the best at disabling and destroying single targets, in fact. Use the ranger’s accuracy boosts to charm or straight up disintegrate nearly anything you want. I’m starting up a soul blade/ghost heart to do that, as well as using evasive fire to build focus for soul annihilation at the same time as repositioning. It should be a highly mobile, mixed range striker with decent utility. I don’t know how takedown combo interacts with soul annihilation, but that interaction could prove pretty good. If you don’t want cheese, this is also a good pick for the saber and pistol set.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

How cheesy do you feel like being? Fighter is super cheesy, since charge hits multiple enemies with the saber, so has a high chance to proc the zero recovery buff, then cleaving stance apparently shoots every enemy in range with the pistol every time you drop someone in melee, which means you should basically never stop swinging your weapons at all after the first few seconds of a fight. If the enemies even last that long. You’re exploiting some of the most broken skills in the game, though. Combine it with monk’s swift flurry for even more cheese.
Say what now? That's amazing. Broken and overpowered and kind of stupid, but also amazing.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Just beat it. I have to say: Good game ropekid, it was fun. I really liked the main plot, and I liked the interwoven god chit-chat. Now it's onto being a gigantic rear end in a top hat next run.

I also managed to die in no less than 3 scripted encounters. The Gods like to remind you that they can, indeed, ruin your poo poo.

Ok now make PoE3 so I can ruin their poo poo back tia~

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Ravenfood posted:

Say what now? That's amazing. Broken and overpowered and kind of stupid, but also amazing.

I was mistaken, it’s not everyone in range, just everyone next to you. But apparently it also works with charge, so if you charge with a sword and pistol, you shoot everyone you hit with the charge. I’ll link to the thread on the official forum later.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What if Pillars of Eternity takes place on flat earth?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

What if Pillars of Eternity takes place on flat earth?

Teach the delicious controversy.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Erwin the German posted:

Big apologies if this has been mentioned already, but did anyone else run into a bug with Malnaj ambushing you after you let Remaro go? The fight on the ship just kinda... ends, and nothing else happens until I click to exit the ship screen. No quips from Serafen, nothing. I have a hard time believing this is intentional, and since this seems to be an unavoidable encounter I feel kinda stuck.

this happened to me too I just kind of sat there with the leave ship option for a while, there isn't even any ship loot or loot on her body or anything

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

this happened to me too I just kind of sat there with the leave ship option for a while, there isn't even any ship loot or loot on her body or anything

I had that too and just hit exit ship and moved on. If it is intentional it's weird since no other ship encounter behaves that way.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

How does the devoted subclass work for weapon proficiencies when multiclassing? Still just the one?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

flashman posted:

How does the devoted subclass work for weapon proficiencies when multiclassing? Still just the one?

Just the one, yes. That said, my Devoted Brute Watcher with Half Sword and dual wield Modwyr/Whispers murdered everything.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The crew seems really keen on cannibalism

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Nasgate posted:

The crew seems really keen on cannibalism

It is potentially your chef's specialty.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

It is potentially your chef's specialty.

He's not even on this ship which is what surprised me.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Devoted is too much commitment for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
"So what does Cipher need?"

So I was thinking about why I find Soul Blade boring, and it boils down to "this is just a real beefy auto attack hit." And I thought about how ciphers were the gunslinger class in Pillars 1, and how people still go for that here in Pillars 2. I say, lean into Ciphers blending mind powers and weapon attacks. Change some of those other attacks into attack+spell. Let me SHOOT my antipathetic field into someone. Instead of just "you can dump your focus into one attack," have Soul Blade change other spells into attack+spell, so I'm stabbing my Mind Blades into my first target (and hey, now I have reason to cast those Shred spells with the discount).

Like yes, obviously, none of this is happening, this is poo poo you do in alpha builds, not post-release. But look, it's still weird to me that the class that was sorta brought in as the "stab AND spellcast" class is only better then the druid at it, maybe. Ciphers got nothing to compare with wizard buffs, and I don't mean this to say that ciphers need to just copy wizards, it's more to point out that ciphers don't really have great native support for mixing it up in melee. I'm down on Soul Blade and cipher in general because that single ability is the only synergy Soul Blade specifically has. Ascendant is doing ciphers right, as far as I'm concerned, in that it's making the class interesting.

And hey, maybe it's a problem with me, and I need to stop trying to put ciphers in melee or make their gun usage unique, they're supposed to stand in the back and spellcast like a (slightly shittier) wizard. Sure. That's a wasted opportunity, if that's the case.

Also, I disagree with the idea that all wizards are going to be doing the same poo poo. There's best spells for different jobs. A fighter/wizard and a pure class Evoker are going to have differences.