Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Didn’t Hasbo bitch Vince out for turning Slaughter heel which lead to some really bad moments for the company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Rarity posted:

Tito was fine for the mid 80s but at this point we've had guys like Rude, Bret, Savage, Shawn and Hennig who've all had some cracking matches and Tito is nowhere near that level

Quoting this because you're going to wish you still had a reliable Tito having passable matches years from now.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 19, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The thing you gotta remember about Tito is that he rules and is great and it warms my heart that he apparently saved his money and lives a happy and comfortable life now doing good things for his community. Not like that nefarious snake Rick Martel :mad:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

The thing you gotta remember about Tito is that he rules and is great and it warms my heart that he apparently saved his money and lives a happy and comfortable life now doing good things for his community. Not like that nefarious snake Rick Martel :mad:

Rick Martel has appeared on magazine covers across the world. The only cover Tito' knows is the one where he gets covered by his opponent :colbert:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

:drat:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You know what? I'm glad Strike Force broke up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

You know what? I'm glad Strike Force broke up.

Broke up? Then how come Black Label Pro offered them as opponents to Bryan Alvarez and Filthy Tom Lawlor recently? Checkmate! :smug:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
With his appetite raised by all the tasty morsels in the crowd Zombie Mean Gene has remained out on the stage where he is now joined by Jake “The Snake” Roberts along with the jumper that his Nan knitted him for his birthday. You just know that she was watching and guilted him into wearing it because there's no other reason to wear something that makes your entire chest look like TV static.

This is the look of a man regretting his recent choices

So yes, I've not really touched on this yet but Jake's a heel now. Turns out that he turned over the course of the summer in a series of insane angles with the Ultimate Warrior. They showed a whole load of clips of it on OSW Review and they were pretty cool. I'm very down for Jake as a heel, I can see it really fitting his character and promo style. It's already working a treat as he describes the snakebite incident as a terrible accident all while flashing the most poo poo-eating grin possible. He thought about the anguish that he caused Savage and it excited him. Zombie Mean Gene calls him “a sick man” and Jake thanks him. Zombie Mean Gene thinks he's lucky not to be fired and Jake replies “You're trying to cast me as the original sinner. I spoke to God this morning and he said he doesn't like you”.

Oh, you thought that was good? We're only just getting started. Jake blames everything on the fans who voted to reinstate Savage, on Tunney and on the WWF itself. Zombie Mean Gene points out that reptiles will be banned from ringside but Jake says the snake in the bag is “a toy, something for me to amuse myself with”. Jake has always been the snake that we should have worried about “and for six years you haven't caught on”. He claims that “it's not the end or the beginning or even the beginning of the end yet but the end of the beginning”. Aw, loving brilliant promo. I'm so on board for this version of Jake and for this feud in general. I'm very excited for the match which I hear is happening this Tuesday in Texas.

At this point you might have noticed that they're being very repetitive with a certain phrase tonight. Well, as it goes there's a reason for that. Gino announces that the fans will have a chance to see this confrontation between Savage and Jake because This Tuesday in Texas will be broadcast live on PPV! That's right, they really are expecting people to shell out for another PPV less than a week after buying this one. Jesus, we talk about PPV saturation these days but that is just ridiculous.

MOST INCORRECT PREDICTION

Bobby Heenan: “You and me and the whole world are going to watch the biggest funeral in wrestling history”

Still love you, Eddie

We get a recap video for Hulk/Taker which begins with Hulk and Bearer hanging out in front of a coffin for reasons that are never explained. Flair shows up and he's mad at Hulk because he's been hearing about the 24-inch pythons for so long that he's tired of it. Amen to that. Flair shows him the WCW title but it gets pixelated out and tells Hulk that he's “busting on your doorstep” which just makes it sound like he needs a wee. Hulk's so filled with rage he just rips his T-shirt off which is an incredibly costly reflex action. He challenges Flair to a title vs. title match but suddenly Taker walks out a coffin behind him and blasts him with the urn. Flair and Taker put in a beating until Piper and Savage race over from commentary with chairs in hand. They smack Taker with the chairs but he completely no-sells them and wanders off with Bearer and Flair. Nice segment, all in all.

WWF Title Match
The Undertaker vs. Hulk Hogan

Huh, ok I guess we're apparently doing this now. Interesting idea to put your main event halfway through the show, I wonder if it'll catch on. Now while I'm not expecting this match to deliver much in the way of in-ring action it's still got some intrigue to it because this is the first time Hulk's defended the WWF title and I've not been sure of the result. I could actually see this going either way. Partly because they've been building Taker so well for so long but also just cause it's Taker and I know what he's going to go on to do so he feels more legitimate than someone like Earthquake. But then it looks like I was wrong and they are still building up Hulk/Flair as the WM8 main event so maybe they want to keep the built on Hulk for that. I just don't know!

MOST OFFENSIVE COMMENT

Bobby Heenan: “You know why that woman's on the edge of her seat? She's got a 300-pound can behind her!”

Taker's out first with the whole spooky entrance and then Hulk shows up. On his way to the ring he grabs a fan's Hulk sign and just walks off with it. Hey, they probably spent hours making that! For some reason there's a casket set up at ringside which apparently only exists so Hulk can knock it over as he gets to the ring. I've got to say that while they've been working really hard to hype this as the potential death of Hulkamania this doesn't the kind of atmosphere that it should do. That may be a byproduct of just tossing it out halfway through the show, maybe?

Ironically with his side headlock punching action this Hulk is better at wrestling than the real thing

The bell rings and Hulk comes out swinging to get the initial advantage but it doesn't take long for Taker to shrug off his offence. Taker chokes Hulk into the corner and it looks like he's started doing the eye-rolling shtick. It's cool seeing him pull together the parts of the modern Taker gimmick bit by bit. Taker keeps up the choking for a while and then Bearer comes in for some choking of his own. Taker leaps up about four feet for a massive elbow drop but Hulk rolls out of the way. He tries to knock Taker down but his blows don't stagger him so he goes for the eyes. He then tries to clothesline Taker out of the ring but he goes over the top rope and lands on his feet. Ha, Hulk you've finally met someone who no-sells more than you do!

On the outside Taker grabs a wire and wraps it around Hulk's throat for more choking. Back in the ring he applies another choke hold. Seriously, that's pretty much all this match is and it was 12 minutes long. A guy in the front row who's cosplaying as Hulk leads the crowd in a “HOGAN” chant but it doesn't help as Taker slaps on a long claw hold. Hulk breaks out and nails a couple of shoulder blocks but Taker replies with a leaping clothesline. He follows up with the Tombstone and this is the big protected finisher for the big new monster heel so does Hulk sell it?

DOES HE gently caress.

For gently caress sake, is there any finisher out there in the world isn't able to bury? I'm not even talking about a last minute kick out here. He literally takes the move and jumps up immediately like a wobbler toy. What an absolute rear end in a top hat. Of course this means that Hulk's into his ending sequence know and his punches knock Taker down to one knee. Hulk follows up with a body slam but OH poo poo HERE COMES FLAIR. Hulk sees Flair coming and does an early intervention by taking him out and he connects with a big boot on Taker but Bearer grabs his leg. With the ref distracted Flair slides a chair into the ring and Taker hits the Tombstone onto the chair.

By which I mean six inches above the chair

TAKER WINS! TAKER WINS!

The new WWF champion and Bearer get hold of the belt and head straight to the back without any gloating while road agents and EMTs rush out to tend to Hulk. Heenan suggests that he might be paralysed but I think it's unlikely unless you can get paralysis from whiplash. They keep on treating Hulk and it takes ages while Gino and Heenan talk about this being the death of Hulkamania and oh my god I'm so loving mad. Why is this all still about Hulk instead of the new champion? Just gently caress off already. This is taking longer than your actual celebrations do.

As a match it was really not good. The pace was glacial with so little action I couldn't call it a brawl. It was pretty much a ten minute rest hold. However, I get that this is partly Taker's gimmick so I came in with very low expectations and the intrigue over who would win just about kept me engaged. I'm really happy that Taker won because it feels different and fresh. That said I'm not really feeling him as main event level yet, although this is probably because he didn't show on Summerslam so I've missed out on anything they've done to build him up as a contender.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You'll notice the pop at the end of the Taker/Hogan match for Taker winning pretty noticeable and the first signs of Hogan backlash starting to appear in the WWF. Also this is the match that probably helps make Taker into a main event guy as even if it's screwy it's still one the few times a Heel got an actual three count on Hogan.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I mentioned earlier that this was the first PPV I saw, and I was five years-old at the time. Well, my brother and I cried hysterically at the ending of this match. That's when our parents decided to inform us that wrestling is fake.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wow, your parents ruined a good 5-7 years of childhood innocence. Evil.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The best story about this match is afterwards, Hogan supposedly went to Vince and told him Taker was working stiff and taking liberties and not protecting Hogan, especially with the Tombstone, this news got back to Taker, who believed that maybe he was (still being pretty green for his spot in the business) and felt awful about it - until Flair, who of course had seen him deliver the Tombstone, was like "man, you actually seen the end of the match?" and got Taker to check out a tape of the finish, where, surprise surprise, Hogan's got enough space under his head to lay Flair himself across with room to spare. After that, Taker refused to buy into anything Hogan said ever again.

I have to imagine Vince also didn't buy into Hogan's line of bullshit, either, since regardless of whether he was at the booth or in gorilla, he would have seen the same drat piledriver from the same drat angle everyone else saw. But I can also imagine Vince going through the motions of "talking to" Taker with Ric backing Taker up and all three of them knowing this is the stupidest thing to be pretending happened but Hogan needs to feel like he's safe politically so he'll play ball with Vince's plans even as Vince in reality is looking at the numbers and going "might be time to cash in these yellow-and-red chips for good".

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rarity posted:

At this point you might have noticed that they're being very repetitive with a certain phrase tonight. Well, as it goes there's a reason for that. Gino announces that the fans will have a chance to see this confrontation between Savage and Jake because This Tuesday in Texas will be broadcast live on PPV! That's right, they really are expecting people to shell out for another PPV less than a week after buying this one. Jesus, we talk about PPV saturation these days but that is just ridiculous.

It is and it isn't.

WWE at this point was running 3 PPV cards on a Sunday and then Survivor Series, which was on the day before or the day of Thanksgiving.

They wanted to try and experiment with making more PPV days of the week palatable, so they made This Tuesday in Texas. In order to hype it up, they were left with either doing a standard PPV build or co-opting an existing PPV so you already have your biggest fans watching the show and then try and sell them on the second show. The first option is riskier in that you're going to have to sink a ton of programming into a night that you don't know people are going to attend to, the problem with the second one is kind of cheapening a PPV.

They went with the latter, and went with Survivor Series, executing this plan kind of cheapens Wrestlemania and that makes no sense. If you're choosing between the Rumble, SummerSlam and Survivor Series, as mentioned, at this time (and it's not until I think 1995) Survivor Series was being held in the middle of the week, so you'd get about a week to build interest.

It really isn't that ridiculous if you're looking at the overall business picture, they wanted to grow the business, but it was for a risky venture, and they took the chance anyway.

It is ridiculous from a fan perspective and by god next show's buyrate is why they never did another Tuesday PPV for 14 years.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I really disagree with this. You're expecting your fans who have just shelled out a significant sum to watch Survivor Series to then shell out a bunch more cash for another PPV without giving them warning to budget for it and having just fobbed them off with an underwhelming show because of all the advertising. If you do that in June with a proper build you're likely to get much more of a take-up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm rereading my thread in prep for my big summary of the Golden Era and I found this post of yours about Susan St James from WM2 and got curious:

Gavok posted:

She's considered to be only the second worst celebrity PPV commentator. Sadly, I don't think you'll reach far enough to get to #1.

Did I get there yet?

PS. She wasn't even the worst commentator on that show

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rarity posted:

I really disagree with this. You're expecting your fans who have just shelled out a significant sum to watch Survivor Series to then shell out a bunch more cash for another PPV without giving them warning to budget for it and having just fobbed them off with an underwhelming show because of all the advertising. If you do that in June with a proper build you're likely to get much more of a take-up.

it actually did do a higher buyrate than Survivor Series from like a 1.0 to a 0.75, which is about the same buy rate for WM that year

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 20, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
but they only charged half-price for the show and really needed to do a 2.0 or higher to be considered a success

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rarity posted:

I'm rereading my thread in prep for my big summary of the Golden Era and I found this post of yours about Susan St James from WM2 and got curious:

Did I get there yet?

PS. She wasn't even the worst commentator on that show

No, no you haven't. But you'll know when you do.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Davros1 posted:

No, no you haven't. But you'll know when you do.

Huh, that was meant to be a PM. Whoops :downs:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You have a couple of years before that particular gem.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

At least my lack of optimism on you reaching that point has changed. It just depends on how badly a certain WrestleMania ruins your momentum.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gavok posted:

At least my lack of optimism on you reaching that point has changed. It just depends on how badly a certain WrestleMania ruins your momentum.

I've watched WM9 before, it'll be fine guys

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Yeah, we're rapidly approaching the end of "fans just grin and bear whatever bullshit Hogan pulls on-screen and off because he's the unquestioned #1 babyface" and now get to see genuine backlash even from the marks who are getting older and starting to get a little "attitude".

Needing 3 guys and a chair to put over Taker in exchange for no-selling the Tombstone, getting 5 minutes of spotlight after the loss to sell him being almost dead, and then bitching to Vince about Bullshit liberties being taken is actually pretty tame to what's coming up to satisfy Hogan's ego.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

One thing that rules about this period of WWF is how there's so much going on in the uppercard and there's a lot of options for feuds. Like, Hulk Hogan is having a title feud with Undertaker, but he's also being antagonized by Ric Flair. Meanwhile, Flair is Roddy Piper's punching bag and Roddy has some interesting stuff going on in the next few months outside of Flair. Randy Savage and Sid Justice are both out to get Jake Roberts, but Jake is also partners with the Undertaker, so there's that.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It actually could of been a great drawing upper card and could of allowed WWF to transition into a bit more of a work rate card but Hogan had to Hogan so it kinda of stalled in places. Hogan's one weakness as a top draw (he always struggled drawing when he'd run the same building back to back) was finally catching up to him on a national stage yet he kept playing politics. Almost all of the feuds getting set up here...well you'll see at the rumble

Funny thing is if Hogan played ball and did more even business and even switched his style up to what he used against Stan Hansen in Japan he probably would of still stayed hot. He was still an okay draw during this time it's just he wasn't white hot so him being all ego just couldn't be 100% ignored cause money (although probably the Steroid trial would of killed any run he had even if he switched his style or did more even matches up to be fair)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Over in the back Zombie Mean Gene is scandalised by this turn of events. Scandalised, I tell you! Rowdy Roddy Piper is kicking around so comes over to share some thoughts. He claims that this is “a bad day in the WWF” with the kind of tone reserved for terror attacks, celebrity obituaries and Konami releasing a new Metal Gear game. He calls Taker an “Addams Family reject” which is a great comparison and Flair “Cousin It” which really isn't. He starts ringing bells and compares all of this to “David Duke becoming Prez”. So obviously I had to go and google who David Duke and holy poo poo the guy is a Holocaust denier and white supremacist politician. I'll be damned, the WWF made a political point that I agree with. I never thought I'd see the day.

And this whole time you thought I was joking about the zombie thing

We cut to the locker room where Sean Mooney is huddled up in a corner crying because it's been over half the show and he's not been on-screen yet. Ric Flair and Curt Hennig spot him and console him with the promise of an interview. Hennig says “ashes to ashes, dust to dust, Hulkamania has finally come to bust” and tells the Hulkamaniacs to cry “millions of gallons of tears”. Flair told Hulk that his time would be short-lived and it was. The fans said their prayers and took their vitamins but it didn't matter and now there's only one world champion and that's Flair. Um, dude there's definitely still another champion or did you already forget about Taker? Flair claims that Hulk isn't immortal and just going to hospital then warns Tunney that if he distorts the real world title then everyone pays the price which seems like a very empty threat as he can't do worse than he's already done. I might not have thought much of Flair's ring-work but he's a really good promo and I can see why he was the man at WCW. He's got loads of intensity and charisma, very nice.

It's the mid-PPV interview marathon now so we switch over to Zombie Mean Gene who informs us that Tunney is currently in Hulk's dressing room before bringing in the Natural Disasters and Irwin R. Schyster. Zombie Mean Gene is shocked by current events and Earthquake talks about some shocks of his own. The aftershocks after they eliminate all their opponents which will shock all the fans. Oh god, we're back to the puns. For gently caress sake. Jimmy claims that it's unfair Jake got taken out of their match although otherwise it was going to be 4 vs. 3 so this seems like the most fair thing of all. IRS is going to make sure Bossman pays and warns Tunney that he's in for an audit this year. I'm pretty sure Tunney makes enough money he can pay an accountant to worry about that. Typhoon thinks Tunney's decision will have no bearing on the outcome of the match. They're just as likely to lose either way, obviously.

Welcome to Jimmy's Team of Angry Scowly Men

Back to Mooney who's with Legion of Doom and the Big Bossman. Animal says that they will abide by Tunney's decision although I really don't see how that's up to them. He thinks they would have still won if it was three against four because LOD didn't get to where they are by being nobody and neither did Bossman. Bossman adds that the Disasters and IRS can talk loud and big but it only makes them mad. He's upset that IRS accused of being a tax cheat because he lives for order and justice. I don't know, I back IRS on this one. Members of the establishment are notorious for abusing their position of power, it doesn't hurt to be careful. Hawk thinks Jake is the luckiest man on the planet as “we'll have reduced you to the equivalent of a pile of soggy and soiled and fly-covered sweatsocks”. Ewwwwwwww. Hawk starts his catchphrase but Mooney interrupts him so Hawk tells him off and starts over. Hehe, I reckon that last bit was a shoot. Mooney is just the kind of dork to accidentally cut off a catchphrase.

We flip back to Zombie Mean Gene who has tracked down Jack Tunney and wants to know what he will do about the “travesty” that is Hulk not being the WWF champion. Tunney agrees but claims that the referee's decision is final. Somewhere in the world a young Chad Gable balls his hand up into a fist. While Tunney can't change the result he can book a rematch and he does so for the earliest opportunity. Good thing they've just announced a PPV for next week, right? Tunney even says that he will be there at ringside to ensure a correct outcome which means ~SHENANIGANS~ are guaranteed.

Just before we start the next match Gino spends a minute or two shilling the next PPV. This involves saying its name about ten times so if you've been playing along with the drinking game here's the bit where you wind up paralytic.

The Beverley Brothers and the Nasty Boys w/ Jimmy Hart and The Genius vs. The Bushwhackers and the Rockers

Remember back at Summerslam when I started to worry about the state of the tag division. Well, it's looking grim my friends. As much as I love the Rockers and as much as they've been improving lately I don't see them being able to save this one. Not when they've got the likes the Boys and the Bushwhackers making up the rest of the action. Of course, there is one new team here but I don't think we can count on the Beverlys for much because they look like absolute dorks. They come out in purple capes and they've got long blond mullets and I don't know for sure but I have a feeling this is an intentional West Hollywood vibe. I've never heard of these dudes before I can only assume they're total wank. But it's not all bad because LOOK WHO THEY BROUGHT BACK WITH THEM!

Of course, this is only adding to the camp value

Wow, I was not expecting to be that hype to see the Genius come back. I'm pretty sure I spent all of his appearances slating him but apparently I'm quite fond now. Unfortunately because of the rules barring managers from ringside this five second appearance is all we're going to get tonight. Thanks for coming, buddy! Please don't do a Steamboat on us! As the faces come down to the ring there's a very visible smark in the front row with a sign reading 'Turn Shawn Turn'. Hehehe. The teams discuss strategy and the Rockers pull their tops off to a big cheer. Somewhere in the world a young Jeff Hardy thinks about groupies and pops a semi.

As the match kicks off Gino informs us that Zombie Mean Gene is scouring the building on the hunt for Taker. Heenan thinks that he went to the morgue “to put the DOA tag on the WWF title”. Dear god I hope not. I want us to be years away from the Harris brothers. The Bushwhackers start out strong with a double clothesline to Knobbs before clashing the Boys' heads together. They follow with another double clothesline to Knobbs and there's one for Sags as well. They whip the Beverlys into each other and connect with the Battering Ram on each brother. Not to be outdone the Rockers come in with synchronised dropkicks to the Boys. Gino and Heenan wonder who's the strategy brain on each team and Gino thinks that for the faces it's Luke. Don't be silly, Gino. We all know Butch is the smart one.

This man has an IQ above 140

Things start to even out as Blake nails a backbreaker to Butch then Shawn connects with a running knee on Knobbs. In return Knobbs goes for a stinger splash on Luke but he whiffs it and eats the turnbuckle. Before Luke can capitalise Knobbs hits a second rope flying clothesline and that gets Luke sent to the back. Ah good, the sooner we can turn this match into just the Rockers the better. Sags goes for an avalanche on Shawn but he dodges and replies with a flying crossbody. Marty connects with a splash on Sags's arm but Bo responds with a rolling neckslap. He goes for a back body drop but Marty flips through and hits a superkick. I have to say Marty's ringwork is looking slick as hell tonight, lovely stuff.

While Bo nails a gutwrench suplex on Marty over on commentary Gino is having difficulty telling the Beverlys apart. Heenan helpfully clarifies that “Bo's the one with the blond hair”. Bet you wouldn't say that if they were a couple of black dudes. Actually, it's 1991 so you probably would. Marty fights his way through to tag Butch who takes it to the Beverlys until they kill Butch with their finisher, the Spike Slam. And I do mean loving kill him. Holy poo poo, this thing is disgusting. Butch is whipped into the ropes and then one of them presses him up high so that the other can spike him skull first into the mat from a good eight feet in the air. Oh my god, what the gently caress. That's about three concussions right there, loving hell. Don't ever do that again.

To cheer us all up after that enjoy this picture of a fan photobombing the match

The plus side to this is that this leaves the Rockers repping the face team so now the pace can really pick up. Marty connects with a monkey flip and a hurracanrana to Bo and follows up with an enziguri. The Beverlys reply with a leapfrog crunch to Shawn but soon after Shawn catches Bo in a backslide and gets an elimination out of it. I guess you could say Bo got bowned. Sags throws Shawn through the ropes but he lands on the apron and surprises Sags with a dropkick. This sends Sags to the outside where Shawn nails a flying clothesline off the apron! Nice! He immediately rocks Knobbs with a superkick and back in the ring Marty hits a corkscrew elbow. Ok, I'm feeling this Rockers comeback story they've got going on here. Come on, boys!

Sags connects with a pump handle slam all while Gino and Heenan keep on giving the hard sell for the next PPV. I hope you're not playing the drinking game and if you are you'd better have an ambulance on your way by now cause Marty ain't the only thing that's gonna need pumping. Knobbs goes for a second rope splash but Marty gets his knees up and the Rockers whip the Boys into Blake. It's all getting a bit chaotic and Marty hits a body slam on Sags but in the process Sags's legs accidentally swipe at Shawn. This knocks him off balance and allows Knobbs to cover him to send him packing. Godammit, Marty. You were doing so well and then you had to go and pull a loving Marty. But wait, what's this? Shawn is pissed at getting eliminated and he starts yelling at Marty!

AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it's started! Marty tries to console Shawn but he's still pissy and pushes Marty away. It's fine, guys. It's fine. Everything's going to be fine. As Shawn heads off to the back grumbling Heenan says that he's read about dissension between the Rockers in WWF Magazine. Gino's not convinced though because he thinks all Heenan does is “look at the pictures”. Come on, Gino, the man's called 'The Brain' for a reason.

Meanwhile, Marty bravely carries on the match as he nails a facebuster on Knobbs. Blake replies with a powerslam but he commits the most heelish sin of dickery by refusing to go for the pin. This allows Marty to get back into it as he flips around Knobbs so he can drag him to the outside and into the ringpost. He hits a superkick on Sags and follows WITH A FLYING CROSSBODY TO THE BOYS ON THE OUTSIDE. Hell yeah, Marty is absolute fire tonight. He ducks a double clothesline from the Boys and rolls up Sags but the ref's busy with Blake. This allows Knobbs to roll Sags on top and even though Marty grabs the rope for the break the ref misses it and that means Marty's done and the match is over.

This is what we call a Big drat Hero moment

I think I have to admit I didn't give this match a fair shake at first impressions. It ended up being quite exciting with a decent story holding it together. In particular I have to give Marty props for a standout performance. He was so exciting and put on a great underdog showing and at this point he looks like the breakout star of the Rockers. Which makes me wonder, is that what the WWF were thinking at the time? That Marty would be the one to go on to be the headline act? Not that anything like that would happen of course because the Rockers are fine. Completely fine.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Beverlies didn't win a lot of matches, so you didn't get to see the Shaker Heights Spike very often. Whether this is a good or bad thing I guess depends on your level of sadism

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

the Rockers are fine. Completely fine.

Shawn and Marty forever!

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Shawn and Marty forever!

100 pay-per-views, Shawn and Marty forever dot com 100 Shawn and Marty pay-per-views **the light flickers and Jerusalem's eyes lose focus as spittle builds in the corners of his mouth**

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
The main thing I remember about the Beverly Brothers was that their WWF gimmick was the polar opposite of their previous AWA gimmick...which, IIRC, saw them labeled as the Minnesota Wrecking Crew II, complete with hard hats and safety vests (though I freely admit I could be mixing them up with someone else, as I don't give enough of a poo poo to Google the Beverly Brothers).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Whenever mentioning The Beverly Brothers, one is required, by law, to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aPlfPbEh9w

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Davros1 posted:

Whenever mentioning The Beverly Brothers, one is required, by law, to post this:

Yeah, the Shaker Heights Spike was just a gross finisher, extremely difficult to do safely.

Their theme song was pretty cool at least.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Shawn and Marty forever!

Oh god, he's still in denial :ohdear:

Davros1 posted:

:stonk:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The thing that annoys me about that match is how Heenan and Gorilla somehow completely miss the fact that Michaels got pinned. They aren't paying attention and act like Michaels got hit in the face, yelled at Marty and then just stormed off to quit the match.

Worth noting that the cracks in the Rockers have been showing since before WrestleMania 7. All the way back to that tag battle royal for the #1 contender spot.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Beau and Blake Beverly were apparently dicks that took advantage of their jobber opponents and dropping them on their heads.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

Beau and Blake Beverly were apparently dicks that took advantage of their jobber opponents and dropping them on their heads.

I'm not sure whether that is better than the alternative, that they were just really sloppy in the ring, and regularly murdered guys accidentally.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

KungFu Grip posted:

So just like the Steiners?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Oh god, he's still in denial :ohdear:

I'm just worried that Shawn won't make it without Marty to carry him :(

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I'm just worried that Shawn won't make it without Marty to carry him :(

As long as he steers clear of drugs, alcohol and loose women, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Davros1 posted:

Did they kill someone with that?