Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Truga posted:

my 1803 update has been failing at 73% installed for the last two weeks or so and I have zero inclination of figuring out what the gently caress is wrong. I did some basic repair/dism thing and that didn't help so welp I guess my windows is now outdated forever

You can skip two Windows editions without falling out of security updates so there's really no hurry to get on _every_ new release. Especially because the actual benefits of them seem to be so small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

phosdex posted:

Same here. Also I uninstalled the candy crush stuff some number of updates ago and they've never come back.

Same. Not sure why. I'm running Pro edition like everyone else, and I simply do not have any problems. Maybe I once set a GPO and forgot about it and that's what's saved me all this time? I truly do not know.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I’ve never even noticed the updates, except that my computer is sometimes turned on when I don’t expect it to be. I’ve checked and it has the latest update though...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

redeyes posted:

It's just a general reinstall dude. Nothing special. You end up with a fresh windows load with no apps and all your data in Windows.old

In general

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download the tool and run it, you will need a blank USB stick, feed the tool that stick. It will make the installer stuff on the USB. Take that USB stick to your broken computer. Boot with it, install windows 10 on the largest partition on the HD. Boot up, setup your account/password. Copy your data files from c:\windows.old\Users\yourusername. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Ok so I downloaded this to a blank flash drive, insert it, turn my PC on, sends me to the blue screen where I have to choose between continue, Use a Device, etc. I choose Use a device and I have six options, USB Floppy/CD, USB Hard Drive, UEFI IPv4 network card, uefi ipv6 network card, USB Floppy/CD and Hard Drive. I choose either usb hard drive or floppy cd and it just goes back to resetting and going back to the original screen

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
No no no, put a blank drive in, run the thing you downloaded, and direct it to that drive. After that's done, then you boot to that drive.

E: and don't run it from that drive, but from your downloads folder or whatever.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 25, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Has anyone seen this before? I have the May CU stuck in Windows Update. It says it needs to be rebooted to finish the install, but no matter how many times I reboot, it doesn't go away. I run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and that doesn't fix it. I have this issue on a dozen computers. It's extremely frustrating.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Alright well that was dumb. I uninstalled the update, rebooted, and manually re-installed the update via the msu file. That fixed it. Stupid Windows.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

No no no, put a blank drive in, run the thing you downloaded, and direct it to that drive. After that's done, then you boot to that drive.

E: and don't run it from that drive, but from your downloads folder or whatever.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

How if I can’t access my desktop

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

How if I can’t access my desktop

Gonna have to use another computer that works.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

What did you use to download the tool and put it on the flash drive in the first place?

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 25, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The NTFS file system is robust enough to survive those antics. There might be data loss of crap that was in flight, that's about it. The file system itself isn't gonna blow up in your face. Same applies to USB sticks using it.

That somewhat alleviates my concern. However, just last week, I had a power outage while playing my MMO Of Choice™ and the next time I launched the game it looked all hosed up. Turns out the folder that stored all the client-side settings got completely destroyed. I've got the UPS units I need picked out, I just need to order them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

What did you use to download the tool and put it on the flash drive in the first place?

I think I got confused
So I have one flash drive with the tool someone linked earlier
I also need another empty flash drive? Or what am I missing?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
No dude, you run the tool on a working computer. Click the option (in the utility) to create a USB boot drive. Put in the USB stick. Allow it to create the bootable USB stick.

Boot broken computer with USB stick. Reinstall windows on the largest partition. DO NOT remove any partitions.

You are obviously using a working computer to post. click DOWNLOAD TOOL NOW. Run the file it gives you.

Put in USB memory stick. Click the option to make a bootable USB stick.

Wait for it to do its thing, will take 5-10 mins, possibly more.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Not to be a jerk, but a bit of reading, looks like.

Go back to the Create Media website, and read and follow, step by step, the second option, Use the tool to create installation media.

This isn't a RTFM.. it's, well, "Hey, there's a manual you can follow, fortunately."

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Factor Mystic posted:

Same. Not sure why. I'm running Pro edition like everyone else, and I simply do not have any problems. Maybe I once set a GPO and forgot about it and that's what's saved me all this time? I truly do not know.

The problem is Windows behaves wildly inconsistently between different systems.

For example search is completely broken on my Surface Pro but works fine on the old HP castoff from work which has pretty much replaced it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

redeyes posted:

No dude, you run the tool on a working computer. Click the option (in the utility) to create a USB boot drive. Put in the USB stick. Allow it to create the bootable USB stick.

Boot broken computer with USB stick. Reinstall windows on the largest partition. DO NOT remove any partitions.

You are obviously using a working computer to post. click DOWNLOAD TOOL NOW. Run the file it gives you.

Put in USB memory stick. Click the option to make a bootable USB stick.

Wait for it to do its thing, will take 5-10 mins, possibly more.

Mobile posting
Thanks, I’ll try it tomorrow when I have access to my work's computer

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

Mobile posting

Ah ok. Yes you'll need that computer to make the bootable USB installer.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

redeyes posted:

Ah ok. Yes you'll need that computer to make the bootable USB installer.

Incidentally, does creating that thing affect the computer in any way? Don’t wanna get in trouble

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Calaveron posted:

Incidentally, does creating that thing affect the computer in any way? Don’t wanna get in trouble

Nope.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Mobile posting

Then how did you download the tool and put it on a stick? Or did you do it at work?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Then how did you download the tool and put it on a stick? Or did you do it at work?

Yes, at work, but I did it in a hurry so I missed the instructions

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Gotcha. Ok good now you should be fine, but for Xenu's sake, if you aren't sure what option to choose or whatever, ask us.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is scaling a bit messed up in the Spring update? My display's in 4K with 200% scaling, if I change it to 1920x1080 for a moment then the system tray popup is all squashed with half the icons missing. I've had weirder stuff too, like Windows settings menus appearing at half height, and if I drag them bigger the extra space is just empty like it's not trying to render it. Or Steam coming back from a game in 1080p, but Steam has the UI taking up a quarter of the window (at 100% scale, I guess) until I maximise it.

Just really janky weirdness that never used to happen, the icons thing doesn't fix until I sign back in

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Ofecks posted:

That somewhat alleviates my concern. However, just last week, I had a power outage while playing my MMO Of Choice™ and the next time I launched the game it looked all hosed up. Turns out the folder that stored all the client-side settings got completely destroyed. I've got the UPS units I need picked out, I just need to order them.
Don't expect the UPS unit to be your savior.

Most of the cheaper ones generate a "modified sinewave", and there's plenty of PSUs that can't deal with that when they're under load. Something about their PFC circuits. So if you're gaming and there's a power outage, your box may still shutdown.

--edit:

Here's a whole lot of more :words: about it with fancy scopes:
https://superuser.com/a/912689

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 26, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
OK so I got the tool I put it in I choose the flash drive to do the thing and my computer's been hanging on the hp screen for like an hour now and my pc sounds like a jet engine

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It is insanely frustrating that now I don't have access to the instructions because it automatically reroutes me somewhere else since I'm not using a pc to access that information

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Don't expect the UPS unit to be your savior.

Most of the cheaper ones generate a "modified sinewave", and there's plenty of PSUs that can't deal with that when they're under load. Something about their PFC circuits. So if you're gaming and there's a power outage, your box may still shutdown.

--edit:

Here's a whole lot of more :words: about it with fancy scopes:
https://superuser.com/a/912689

Well that's disconcerting. The UPS I've ordered claims a "Stepped approximation to a sinewave" on the spec sheet which I assume is the square-ish thing pictured in your post. I like to think that I have a reasonably nice PC power supply, so hopefully it won't be an issue. There have been instances where I've experienced brief power blips that will reset my networking equipment but not the PC. Then again, if the blip is just long enough, it kills the output of my video card but everything else remains running, so I have to hard-reset anyway. I guess I can test it by yanking the UPS wall plug. And I ordered the UPS from a brick-and-mortar for store pickup, so if it doesn't work out, I can easily return it.

The reason I'm not getting a 650w+ UPS is because a 650w power supply is overkill for my video card (1060 GTX). I got it for headroom if I upgrade to a 1070 or 1080, in which case I'll also buy a more powerful UPS.

At one point in the past, although completely unqualified, I found myself in charge of IT for a very small, struggling company, and our lovely pre-built Dell PCs with lovely power supplies hooked up to lovely UPSes all stayed on during outages. :shrug:

I'm also getting a small cheapo one for just my networking gear (a fiber ONT + ISP-supplied router). Will have to test that one too, when none of my roommates are home.

Sorry for hardware chat in this Microsoft Windows Computer Operating System thread.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
OK, I reformatted my computer successfully after a couple of bumps, so major thanks for your help
Incidentally, how do I access windows.old? Can I get my stuff from there?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Calaveron posted:

OK, I reformatted my computer successfully after a couple of bumps, so major thanks for your help
Incidentally, how do I access windows.old? Can I get my stuff from there?

Um.

By not reformatting your OS drive.

You did make backups of your stuff, right?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

dont be mean to me posted:

Um.

By not reformatting your OS drive.

You did make backups of your stuff, right?

I got hit by the update bug and when doing the media tool thing and installing it on the biggest partition it said my old poo poo would be accessible as windows.old

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Calaveron posted:

I got hit by the update bug and when doing the media tool thing and installing it on the biggest partition it said my old poo poo would be accessible as windows.old

Oh, then you probably didn't reformat.

Just go to C:\Windows.old.

(I wouldn't be surprised if it can stick Windows.old on another drive letter but I've never seen it happen.)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It should just be on the root of the drive as soon as you click into it, then.

e:fb

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
All right, awesome, I'm starting to recover poo poo that I thought lost and would have made me cry if it had been.
Now I just need to redownload microsoft office which I have no idea how to but I'm working on it

EDIT: I guess my PC now revs up like a jet engine when it used to be quieter?

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 27, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Its doing a lot of stuff in the background.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I fixed my sound issue. They added an Enhancements tab in sound with Loudness Equalization.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Calaveron posted:

All right, awesome, I'm starting to recover poo poo that I thought lost and would have made me cry if it had been.
Now I just need to redownload microsoft office which I have no idea how to but I'm working on it

EDIT: I guess my PC now revs up like a jet engine when it used to be quieter?

Get thee a spare external hard drive and also an online backup subscription, right loving now. Depending on how much stuff you have, the free or cheapest OneDrive subscription might do it, as then you can just dump your personal files in the OneDrive folders already on your PC and call it a day.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It's prompting me again to update my computer so uhhhhh

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
:stare:

:munch:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there a way to get Windows 10 to search through ZIPs for a filename? I have the option to search in compressed zippped folders checked but it isn't actually doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

It actually updated overnight and everything’s fine except the new whirring sound it makes
What’s the recommended antivirus/spyware blocker now that avg makes my computer suck balls