Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

gently caress yes. Never played the original, even though I had a GC back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

HOYL poo poo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJO8uo3UMko

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/868520/killer7/

Steam page is up already. That's 2/3 of the Kill the Past trilogy on PC now.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I dont see how RUINER is mediocre. The guns are great, the stock gun is useful, and it's fast paced, with a great soundtrack.

Do ya'll use the slowdown mechanic when multi dashing? because I have never used that and just kept moving like I was I was playing DOOM 2016, just always firing, hitting the melee button when needed and constantly moving.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

they rebalanced a lot of stuff a bit after launch, as well as adding in the doom-style glory kill system. but even with that stuff it's just... kind of a bland twin stick shooter.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So I downloaded City Skylines because it was free and started playing. First try I made some cool lines with the roads and colored them in and then added power and water and viola city! Only they kept complaining about sewage and I looked at the graphic and it said I needed 400 citizens before I could use the next garbage icon. Then I noticed the sewer drain pump thing and oops I had no cash for it and my balance was negative and I couldn't figure out the button for the loan and oops I forgot to make a road exiting the city anyways and breaking out the bulldozer costs money doesn't give it back so I kind of just sat there and everything was miserable and quit.

Next city I will read the text boxes! Be conservative with the road spam! Make a thing that connects the roads together! So I do that and instantly see that you can make like raised up roads so of course I do that because they are cool and I make like an ugly figure 8 just in and out so I don't gently caress up the exit lane. Only the raised roads don't give zoning things so like only half my palty land is usable and I get all the electricity and plumbing hooked up and I'm just sitting there watching my money dwindle because it is in the red and the yellow zones are crying about not having educated workers and then I panic thinking that I used the wrong roads and my entire city is a one way street so I bulldoze stuff and freak out and realize I was wrong but the money is still draining and I haven't unlocked any new options and uh.

I don't think this kind of game is for me.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I love the idea of city builders but I think I'm too stupid (or at least the total opposite of detail oriented) to play any of them after the original Sim City. :downs:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

kater posted:

So I downloaded City Skylines because it was free and started playing. First try I made some cool lines with the roads and colored them in and then added power and water and viola city! Only they kept complaining about sewage and I looked at the graphic and it said I needed 400 citizens before I could use the next garbage icon. Then I noticed the sewer drain pump thing and oops I had no cash for it and my balance was negative and I couldn't figure out the button for the loan and oops I forgot to make a road exiting the city anyways and breaking out the bulldozer costs money doesn't give it back so I kind of just sat there and everything was miserable and quit.

Next city I will read the text boxes! Be conservative with the road spam! Make a thing that connects the roads together! So I do that and instantly see that you can make like raised up roads so of course I do that because they are cool and I make like an ugly figure 8 just in and out so I don't gently caress up the exit lane. Only the raised roads don't give zoning things so like only half my palty land is usable and I get all the electricity and plumbing hooked up and I'm just sitting there watching my money dwindle because it is in the red and the yellow zones are crying about not having educated workers and then I panic thinking that I used the wrong roads and my entire city is a one way street so I bulldoze stuff and freak out and realize I was wrong but the money is still draining and I haven't unlocked any new options and uh.

No that’s about normal.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Starting to really hate the event now, the speed clean thing is kind of crap. I'd use the achievement manager to do it but I'm not sure I want to encourage Valve doing this kind of thing.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

kater posted:

You should try and make a real normal basic city first and then start messing around with figure 8 raised roads. Also don't put your sewage upstream of your city. Boom now you're not bad and can have fun! Its less "creative" but you'll have more success starting small. It feels weird to leave a lot of empty space but you'll be happy in the long run when you have to rearrange things and have room

also:

Kibayasu posted:

No that’s about normal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unrelated to the current discussion, just wanted to give my kudos to Valve for their intuitive integration of Dualshock 4 support. Not sure how the Xbone controller support is, but with the DS4, you have to hit the PS button three times to connect it to or disconnect from Steam. This is clever because it means I can keep it synced to my PS4 (since to use it you hold down the button) while also having it synced to my PC via bluetooth. Thanks Valve.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Det_no posted:

Starting to really hate the event now, the speed clean thing is kind of crap. I'd use the achievement manager to do it but I'm not sure I want to encourage Valve doing this kind of thing.

There's an event? I haven't been on my computer today and the store tab in the Steam app looks normal, would anyone mind explaining the event being referred to here?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

QuarkJets posted:

There's an event? I haven't been on my computer today and the store tab in the Steam app looks normal, would anyone mind explaining the event being referred to here?

Have you recently reset your app? I can't speak from personal experience, but I've often noted that if Steam is open while the store rolls over into a sale or event, it won't update until I exit and reload.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You should try and make a real normal basic city first and then start messing around with figure 8 raised roads. Also don't put your sewage upstream of your city. Boom now you're not bad and can have fun! Its less "creative" but you'll have more success starting small. It feels weird to leave a lot of empty space but you'll be happy in the long run when you have to rearrange things and have room

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiZqhgn41Kg

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

If I had this happen to me the first time I played I would be so happy

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CJacobs posted:

Unrelated to the current discussion, just wanted to give my kudos to Valve for their intuitive integration of Dualshock 4 support. Not sure how the Xbone controller support is, but with the DS4, you have to hit the PS button three times to connect it to or disconnect from Steam. This is clever because it means I can keep it synced to my PS4 (since to use it you hold down the button) while also having it synced to my PC via bluetooth. Thanks Valve.

I've had nothing but trouble w/ their DS4 support. I eventually gave up and turned it off.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's all I ever wanted. Thank you Suda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ1QT2d8x_E&t=52s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lentk1ovwk

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

The Spring Cleaning thing. If you haven't seen it, it's been going on for a few days

https://store.steampowered.com/springcleaning

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Apple must have gotten a few emails asking about the Steam Link app, because their head of marketing sent out an email to everyone who asked:

Phil Schiller posted:

Thank you for your email and being a customer of Apple products and the App Store.

We care deeply about bringing great games to all of our users on the App Store. We would love for Valve’s games and services to be on iOS and AppleTV.

Unfortunately, the review team found that Valve’s Steam iOS app, as currently submitted, violates a number of guidelines around user generated content, in-app purchases, content codes, etc. We’ve discussed these issues with Valve and will continue to work with them to help bring the Steam experience to iOS and AppleTV in a way that complies with the store’s guidelines.

We put great effort into creating an App Store that provides the very best experience for everyone. We have clear guidelines that all developers must follow in order to ensure the App Store is a safe place for all users and a fair opportunity for all developers.

Sincerely,

Phil
So, I guess expect anything related to the store to be greyed out in whatever version eventually passes muster. (Yeah, I know the store is usable in the normal Steam app, but you can't play games through that so it's a slightly different scenario. Also Apple are just kinda weird like that)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
NISA?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/nitomatta/status/1000530034015195136

How quickly a game can go from "must buy" to "never buy"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://twitter.com/nitomatta/status/1000530034015195136

How quickly a game can go from "must buy" to "never buy"
The actual porting part is being done by another company, Engine Software. They seem to have kind of a mixed recent history, though, doing Switch ports of games like The Escapists 2 and Little Nightmares but also being involved in the failed Terraria Otherworld project. So who knows?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Killer 7 is certainly a fascinating exercise but I feel like I’d be lying if I said I ever actually had fun playing it. There are times its weirdness becomes frustratingly obtuse and you just have to wander around without any idea of what to do next until something else inexplicable happens. I’d probably pay $10 to see it again but not more than that.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

K7 sure to be less confusing when not blown through a 15 inch CRT.

kater fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 27, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
It's amazing how quickly NISA can deflate excitement.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm out of the loop. What makes NISA bad? (I'm assuming lovely ports?)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Red Mundus posted:

They completely hosed up the Ys VIII port recently.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is YS VIII still a total trash fire? It looks like they've been doing some patches and I think the reviews are trending up slightly.

Not that it excuses the original state, I was just excited for it before the reviews came in at release.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Deformed Church posted:

Is YS VIII still a total trash fire? It looks like they've been doing some patches and I think the reviews are trending up slightly.

Not that it excuses the original state, I was just excited for it before the reviews came in at release.

It's in a much better shape than it was at release, but it's still inferior to the PS4 version in many ways. What makes it so baffling is that NISA delayed the PC port of Ys VIII multiple times and it was still released as an unoptimized trash fire.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Red Mundus posted:

https://twitter.com/Rucean/status/902448859183501312

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Two quick questions guys:

1) Is night in the woods good fun?

2) Is the council actually any good? I generally steer clear of episodic games, but I wanted to ask.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Night in the Woods is a great game but I wouldn't exactly call it "fun." More like a tragicomedy depicting the death of rust belt America with cutesy pop-up book animals and some light platforming.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Two quick questions guys:

1) Is night in the woods good fun?

I enjoyed it but you should know that it's more or less a more-interactive walking simulator. You can't die, there aren't any big puzzles (there are technically a couple of puzzles but they amount to some very easy platforming or just messing around with what you're given until something works)

I enjoyed it a lot, but I also got a lot more out of it than others by nature of living in the area that the game is based on so it hit closer to home than I was expecting it to.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I enjoyed it but you should know that it's more or less a more-interactive walking simulator. You can't die, there aren't any big puzzles (there are technically a couple of puzzles but they amount to some very easy platforming or just messing around with what you're given until something works)

That sounds great. I don't get the hate for "walking simulators" at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Josef bugman posted:

That sounds great. I don't get the hate for "walking simulators" at all.

Many people are fiercely resistant to the idea that their childhood hobbies can be used to meaningfully examine social issues besides boom boom shoot man and have to call anything that attempts this as "not a real game" to maintain their happy feels.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
They're for people who've outgrown gameplay but don't have the spoons to turn a physical page, friend.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The Kins posted:

They're for people who've outgrown gameplay but don't have the spoons to turn a physical page, friend.

I like interacting with a story as opposed to simply going along with it. I'd like to be able to ask "Why is this the way it is" when I am reading something.

I am also really bad at imagining locations and so it is nice to see them in front of me.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Josef bugman posted:

I like interacting with a story as opposed to simply going along with it. I'd like to be able to ask "Why is this the way it is" when I am reading something.

I am also really bad at imagining locations and so it is nice to see them in front of me.

You may enjoy visual novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You may enjoy visual novels.

I don't enjoy high school dramas or other things that are traditionally associated with V/N. I do like King of Dragon Pass, but that barely needs mentioning.