Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Marcade posted:

Funny, that's how my father learned his first wife was cheating on him; she mentioned that a mutual friend only had one testicle. My father knew that, but how could she know that...?
I mean, the dude could have told her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I followed a year-old link from Reddit to a site called "stopsylvia.com" which was supposed to be for an article listing how the psychic Browne was totally wrong about the Amanda Berry kidnapping case (one of the multi-year victims of Ariel Castro). So presumably the whole site was an anti-Browne resource criticizing her work.

I check it now, and it's "Stop Smoking with Sylvia Browne" and it's an e-cigarette blog with a bare minimum amount of content on it. So kinda unnerving that there used to be a whole attack site taking on one of the most famous crime psychics, and then in the last year someone bought the domain name and made is something unrelated.

It could also be because she died back in 2013.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

dovetaile posted:

It could also be because she died back in 2013.
Yeah, like that would stop her.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pookel posted:

I mean, the dude could have told her?

And then his father's whole life fell apart.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

I followed a year-old link from Reddit to a site called "stopsylvia.com" which was supposed to be for an article listing how the psychic Browne was totally wrong about the Amanda Berry kidnapping case (one of the multi-year victims of Ariel Castro). So presumably the whole site was an anti-Browne resource criticizing her work.

I check it now, and it's "Stop Smoking with Sylvia Browne" and it's an e-cigarette blog with a bare minimum amount of content on it. So kinda unnerving that there used to be a whole attack site taking on one of the most famous crime psychics, and then in the last year someone bought the domain name and made is something unrelated.

Weirder thing is that this might be the second time that it happened.

I remember that a big Sylvia Brown site got screwed around 10 years ago when the owner was laid up with cancer and didn't renew the domain. It was a big deal in some skeptics communities at the time, since there was the same problem that all the news stories and old articles now pointed to the lost domain name.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Marcade posted:

Funny, that's how my father learned his first wife was cheating on him; she mentioned that a mutual friend only had one testicle. My father knew that, but how could she know that...?

How did he know that?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The Lone Badger posted:

How did he know that?

"It's okay if I gently caress my best friend, but if my wife does it, hoo boy."

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Yeah the logic there doesn't quite follow. It's a pretty unique trait, she could have heard about it second hand or he could have told her for whatever reason. Plus the whole "how did HE know" thing. I'm a chick but I feel like you'd have to be looking pretty close at a dude's nutsack in the locker room or whatever to notice that yourself. Not judging, just saying.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Uh, you don't need to know whether or not someone's correct in order to question how they know something.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Also the one nut thing is something I could totally see coming up during a drunken conversation with a bunch of close friends.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Jabor posted:

Uh, you don't need to know whether or not someone's correct in order to question how they know something.

Yeah, the way my mind spun the conversation is that she brought it up somehow and her husband did a "wtf how do you know that?" and she panicked and gave a super unconvincing lie and the husband figured it out from there.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

bean_shadow posted:

Most people who know just a tad about Richard Burton know that he drank. A lot. But I hadn't realized how much until reading this biography.

When he had an operation to repair arthritis, it was discovered his spine was completely covered in crystalized alcohol.
BRUH

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 06:43 on May 27, 2018

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I've been reading some of the Reddit megathreads about unsolved mysteries, and noticed a few trends:

-- Reddit is loving obsessed with the Dyatlov Pass incident, which I don't even find that interesting.
-- A significant number of redditors don't believe that Elisa Lam drowned in the hotel water tank because she had a psychotic incident
-- They're obsessed with analyzing the 911 call that Brandon Lawson made after he ran out of gas in West Texas and disappeared, when the simplest explanation is taht he relapsed, got high on meth, made a crazy phone call, and wandered out in the wilderness until he died of exposure.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I've been reading some of the Reddit megathreads about unsolved mysteries, and noticed a few trends:

-- Reddit is loving obsessed with the Dyatlov Pass incident, which I don't even find that interesting.
-- A significant number of redditors don't believe that Elisa Lam drowned in the hotel water tank because she had a psychotic incident
-- They're obsessed with analyzing the 911 call that Brandon Lawson made after he ran out of gas in West Texas and disappeared, when the simplest explanation is taht he relapsed, got high on meth, made a crazy phone call, and wandered out in the wilderness until he died of exposure.

Dyatlov Pass is one of those ones that's easy to make sound super mysterious if you don't know/deliberately obsfucate some background details. Like the woman who was missing her tongue and eyes, which is oooOooo spooky unless you happen to know that scavenging animals will go for the soft nutritious bits first.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I'd say that's because there's probably a large overlap between people who enjoy unsolved mysteries and conspiracy theorists and the latter have a tendency to dismiss anything contrary to what they know happened

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dyatlov Pass is one of those mysteries where there's just enough strangeness to set people's minds off on crazy tangents while being sufficiently far away in time, distance, and language that a definitive resolution will never be possible.

The heart of the mystery is why nine experienced skiers would flee their tent without putting on sufficient protective clothing, and what would cause three of them to be killed not by the elements, but by some kind of trauma that hosed them up internally without doing much damage externally, all without leaving any physical evidence behind to be found by search groups a week or two later.

Evidence shows the location they camped is not one likely to have experienced an avalanche, and there was no evidence of an avalanche having occurred seen by the searchers who found the tent, which was collapsed but still visible on the surface of the snow.

Further, some of the group survived long enough to build a fire, climb up a tree likely to see if whatever danger they perceived at their camp had passed, then set out back to their camp. We know this not just from the position the bodies were found in, but because their tracks were clearly visible still when the first searchers found their camp. This would also rule out the idea that a group of locals found and killed them.

My money is on the group being caught accidentally in some kind of military test or training exercise. They were camped in a location off of their intended route and whatever caused them to flee their tent did not have a physical presence on the ground. Parachute bombs, detonating in the air, rather than on impact with the ground, being of particular interest. That also neatly explains the later attempts to shut down the investigation.

In that scenario, the events of that night would go something like this. The group makes camp and are all in their tent when they start hearing the sound of explosions outside. They then notice that the explosions are unmistakably getting closer and closer. An explosion hits close enough that they panic, cut themselves free from the tent and run.

Having previously been inside the tent, they don't have a good handle on where the explosions are originating from, and three of them flee in a direction that puts them close enough to one of the explosions that it kills them. The remaining six get to the tree line, build a fire, climb up a tree to see if the campsite is safe to return to, but are killed by the elements before they can make it back.

The government organizes a search when they don't return, with no one yet knowing that they were anything other than lost or killed by the elements. Once they are found and autopsied, information eventually reaches someone who puts two and two together and figures out that the group ended up in the path of a bombing test or exercise, at which point the government does its best to cover it up, with mixed success.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Azathoth posted:

Dyatlov Pass is one of those mysteries where there's just enough strangeness to set people's minds off on crazy tangents while being sufficiently far away in time, distance, and language that a definitive resolution will never be possible.

The heart of the mystery is why nine experienced skiers would flee their tent without putting on sufficient protective clothing, and what would cause three of them to be killed not by the elements, but by some kind of trauma that hosed them up internally without doing much damage externally, all without leaving any physical evidence behind to be found by search groups a week or two later.

Evidence shows the location they camped is not one likely to have experienced an avalanche, and there was no evidence of an avalanche having occurred seen by the searchers who found the tent, which was collapsed but still visible on the surface of the snow.

Further, some of the group survived long enough to build a fire, climb up a tree likely to see if whatever danger they perceived at their camp had passed, then set out back to their camp. We know this not just from the position the bodies were found in, but because their tracks were clearly visible still when the first searchers found their camp. This would also rule out the idea that a group of locals found and killed them.

My money is on the group being caught accidentally in some kind of military test or training exercise. They were camped in a location off of their intended route and whatever caused them to flee their tent did not have a physical presence on the ground. Parachute bombs, detonating in the air, rather than on impact with the ground, being of particular interest. That also neatly explains the later attempts to shut down the investigation.

In that scenario, the events of that night would go something like this. The group makes camp and are all in their tent when they start hearing the sound of explosions outside. They then notice that the explosions are unmistakably getting closer and closer. An explosion hits close enough that they panic, cut themselves free from the tent and run.

Having previously been inside the tent, they don't have a good handle on where the explosions are originating from, and three of them flee in a direction that puts them close enough to one of the explosions that it kills them. The remaining six get to the tree line, build a fire, climb up a tree to see if the campsite is safe to return to, but are killed by the elements before they can make it back.

The government organizes a search when they don't return, with no one yet knowing that they were anything other than lost or killed by the elements. Once they are found and autopsied, information eventually reaches someone who puts two and two together and figures out that the group ended up in the path of a bombing test or exercise, at which point the government does its best to cover it up, with mixed success.

It was actually Lenin’s ghost, or maybe Marx’s. Hell, they might have been working together.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I don't care about Dyatlov as a mystery, at all, and never got why people think it's so puzzling but there is one thing that gets me.

Why do people telling the story think it's so unbelievable that experienced hikers/climbers died while hiking/climbing? It happens all the time. Ueli Steck just died on Everest a few years ago and a lot of people considered him one of the best climbers in the world.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Telsa Cola posted:

Also the one nut thing is something I could totally see coming up during a drunken conversation with a bunch of close friends.

While I apologize for the derail this has become, it's not that odd to know. I had a friend who referred to himself as "the one nut wonder" after he had testicular cancer. I took his word for it but I had no reason to doubt him either.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Azathoth posted:

I thought the internet had decided that the Dyatlov group died because they got cold then acted stupid because they were cold, and had taken to calling anyone who suggested otherwise things like “loving moron,” “idiot,” “retard,” and “conspiracy theorist.”

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I don't care about Dyatlov as a mystery, at all, and never got why people think it's so puzzling but there is one thing that gets me.

Why do people telling the story think it's so unbelievable that experienced hikers/climbers died while hiking/climbing? It happens all the time. Ueli Steck just died on Everest a few years ago and a lot of people considered him one of the best climbers in the world.

This is a bad example, because one experienced climber falling to his death in front of witnesses is not remotely like nine experienced hikers all dying while off in the middle of nowhere together, with six of them apprently dying from hypothermia, and three others mysteriously having their skeletons turned to pulp without signs of a contributing event, such as an avalanche. In fact, almost all counter-examples are bad examples, because that poo poo just doesn’t happen, which is certainly part of why the legend of the Dyatlov Pass incident is so enduring.

Like, I know we all want to be super-rational beings who can laugh at the people who think aliens did it or whatever, but there are ample reasons to find the Dyatlov Pass incident to be puzzling.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

This is a bad example, because one experienced climber falling to his death in front of witnesses is not remotely like nine experienced hikers all dying while off in the middle of nowhere together, with six of them apprently dying from hypothermia, and three others mysteriously having their skeletons turned to pulp without signs of a contributing event, such as an avalanche. In fact, almost all counter-examples are bad examples, because that poo poo just doesn’t happen, which is certainly part of why the legend of the Dyatlov Pass incident is so enduring.

Like, I know we all want to be super-rational beings who can laugh at the people who think aliens did it or whatever, but there are ample reasons to find the Dyatlov Pass incident to be puzzling.

The trick is, there's a lot of exaggeration and simple falsehood in the retellings of the story. Even the two details you mentioned aren't quite right:

* "nine experienced hikers": while they might have done a bunch of hiking in their youths, only one member of the group was over the age of 24.
* "skeletons turned to pulp": nope, they had major fractures of the skull and chest, but nothing that couldn't have been caused by mundane means - especially if the fractures had been caused post-mortem - and certainly no "pulp".

Look down your nose at people who try to approach this rationally all you want, but you have to recognize that people just make poo poo up to make these incidents seem weirder than they actually are.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
^Yep, started to write something like this out. The real reason Dyatlov sticks around is that the story changes based on what the teller wants to believe. I swear I've heard it so many different ways that I can't keep it straight anymore.

Reddit loves Elisa Lam for the same reason. It has the usual conspiracy theory problem where "it just doesn't make sense" because of some weird nonsense someone started that stuck as fact. There's an almost religious belief that the water tank was protected by a several hundred pound vault door or that the roof was super secure.

Although I haven't seen it cropping up as much on Reddit after someone did a pretty comprehensive review of the autopsy report in r/unresolvedmysteries.

And we already reached max comedy by someone starting a theory that it was all a staged incident to cover up a secret tuberculous outbreak. You see, there's a LAM test for tuberculous so obviously the government staged (or really killed) someone named Lam to muddy up the google search results for a few months...

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Azathoth posted:

source your quotes

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Besesoth posted:

The trick is, there's a lot of exaggeration and simple falsehood in the retellings of the story. Even the two details you mentioned aren't quite right:

* "nine experienced hikers": while they might have done a bunch of hiking in their youths, only one member of the group was over the age of 24.
* "skeletons turned to pulp": nope, they had major fractures of the skull and chest, but nothing that couldn't have been caused by mundane means - especially if the fractures had been caused post-mortem - and certainly no "pulp".

Look down your nose at people who try to approach this rationally all you want, but you have to recognize that people just make poo poo up to make these incidents seem weirder than they actually are.

So what if they were young? Every serious outdoors person I know started as a literal child. Even the youngest in the group could easily have had 5+ years experience. None of them woke up that day and bought a three-wheeled stroller to hike the pass.

“Pulp” was clearly literary license. 1/3rd of them had fractured skulls and/or chests. That is odd, given the other facts.

I am not looking down my nose at anyone. The fact that you try to frame it that way, and add “approach this rationally” is proving the point I was making. While we’re talking about things I must know, one of the things I know is that the other side of the “whacky conspiracy” coin is the “there’s absolutely nothing odd here” when there clearly is.

I don’t even have a pet theory about the Dyatlov Pass incident, but, right now, you can hit Google and find a dozen books/sites/people who will swear they’ve approached this “rationally” and have come to a dozen different conclusions. It’s a weird incident by nearly any criteria.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Dyaltov Pass was almost certainly an avalanche. Snow falls, kills a couple people, the rest run and leave their stuff behind, then take their clothes off because they're freezing to death. The radiation was likely from their thorium camping mantles, which even have radiation warnings on them and the radioactive dust can get everywhere if you're not careful as hell with those things.

People die snow camping/hiking all the time, especially young cocky people. It's dangerous for experienced. And animals eat faces because they're apparently tasty as gently caress.

It's not so much a cool mystery as it is Soviet Russia loving up an investigation.

E: also yeah my ex's best friend told us he had one nut and my immediate response was "holy poo poo can I see that dude?" Missing or extra nuts are just something you have to see, like a tail.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 22:06 on May 28, 2018

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Scathach posted:

Dyaltov Pass was almost certainly an avalanche. Snow falls, kills a couple people, the rest run and leave their stuff behind, then take their clothes off because they're freezing to death. The radiation was likely from their thorium camping mantles, which even have radiation warnings on them and the radioactive dust can get everywhere if you're not careful as hell with those things.

It's not so much a cool mystery as it is Soviet Russia loving up an investigation.

It could totally be exactly that, but I disagree that it isn’t still a cool mystery. It’s probably always going to be a case of “here’s this theory that fits a lot of the facts, but we can’t really prove it” which is, like, the very substrate that cool mysteries grow in.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

So what if they were young? Every serious outdoors person I know started as a literal child. Even the youngest in the group could easily have had 5+ years experience. None of them woke up that day and bought a three-wheeled stroller to hike the pass.

“Pulp” was clearly literary license. 1/3rd of them had fractured skulls and/or chests. That is odd, given the other facts.

I am not looking down my nose at anyone. The fact that you try to frame it that way, and add “approach this rationally” is proving the point I was making. While we’re talking about things I must know, one of the things I know is that the other side of the “whacky conspiracy” coin is the “there’s absolutely nothing odd here” when there clearly is.

I don’t even have a pet theory about the Dyatlov Pass incident, but, right now, you can hit Google and find a dozen books/sites/people who will swear they’ve approached this “rationally” and have come to a dozen different conclusions. It’s a weird incident by nearly any criteria.

My dude, so many people have made up so much bullshit about this specific incident that whenever you stray from the actual facts into "literary license" you're contributing to it. It's like Poe's Law but for weird events: your "literary license" is indistinguishable from anyone else's "and their skeeeeeeletons were tooootally puuuuuulped! :ghost:", and "a bunch of college kids and their 38-year-old buddy who was in training to be a ski instructor" doesn't play as well as "a group of experienced hikers" for the :iiam: crowd.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Wouldn’t there have been evidence of an avalanche though, especially when the first bodies were found?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

fruit on the bottom posted:

Wouldn’t there have been evidence of an avalanche though, especially when the first bodies were found?

The last four bodies were found under fifteen feet of snow. :shrug:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

fruit on the bottom posted:

There was evidence of an avalanche, including four bodies that had been crushed by snow and buried. It wouldn't even have to be huge to kill a few dudes and gently caress a campsite up, and make the rest of the campers panic.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Kinda ties back into earlier posts but I've also read that radiation being detected was either outright made up at one point or a mistranslation of sunburnt. It apparently just appeared in tellings of Dyatlov Pass at one point and seems to have dropped off in recent tellings.

It might be a bit like the Lead Masks Case (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_Masks_Case) where for the longest time people assumed that the lead masks were creepy radiation masks and not just some homemade goggles.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Besesoth posted:

I do have a bone to pick concerning the dismissal of their relative experience. They were undertaking the trip specifically to earn the highest level certification for this kind of outdoor activity, and all of them had done trips like this many times in the past. They were young, but it isn't like they were novices.

That said, I said upthread what I think happened and why, but the entirety of the "mystery" is that 9 hikers/skiers fled the safety of their tent by cutting their way out without taking the time to put on their gear, and why 3 of the 9 were killed by massive internal trauma, cited as being equivalent to a car accident, before exposure could kill them, with minimal damage to soft tissue.

If one presupposes that the autopsies for the 3 were wrong and they all died of exposure, with any damage being the result of animal scavengers or damage in transport, then you've just got a bunch of young people freaking the gently caress out in the wilderness and dying, likely because they thought an avalanche was imminent.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Besesoth posted:

My dude, so many people have made up so much bullshit about this specific incident that whenever you stray from the actual facts into "literary license" you're contributing to it. It's like Poe's Law but for weird events: your "literary license" is indistinguishable from anyone else's "and their skeeeeeeletons were tooootally puuuuuulped! :ghost:", and "a bunch of college kids and their 38-year-old buddy who was in training to be a ski instructor" doesn't play as well as "a group of experienced hikers" for the :iiam: crowd.

So, the canonical sources of information that can be trusted are...?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Kinda ties back into earlier posts but I've also read that radiation being detected was either outright made up at one point or a mistranslation of sunburnt. It apparently just appeared in tellings of Dyatlov Pass at one point and seems to have dropped off in recent tellings.

It might be a bit like the Lead Masks Case (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_Masks_Case) where for the longest time people assumed that the lead masks were creepy radiation masks and not just some homemade goggles.

Yeah, I mean either way I don't think the radiation thing was the weird UFO poo poo it was made out to be.

Now I've only been in a snowy place a few years but can't you get one hell of a sunburn from snow on a bright day?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Primary sources, friend. Remember your junior-high essays.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Azathoth posted:

I do have a bone to pick concerning the dismissal of their relative experience. They were undertaking the trip specifically to earn the highest level certification for this kind of outdoor activity, and all of them had done trips like this many times in the past. They were young, but it isn't like they were novices.

That said, I said upthread what I think happened and why, but the entirety of the "mystery" is that 9 hikers/skiers fled the safety of their tent by cutting their way out without taking the time to put on their gear, and why 3 of the 9 were killed by massive internal trauma, cited as being equivalent to a car accident, before exposure could kill them, with minimal damage to soft tissue.

If one presupposes that the autopsies for the 3 were wrong and they all died of exposure, with any damage being the result of animal scavengers or damage in transport, then you've just got a bunch of young people freaking the gently caress out in the wilderness and dying, likely because they thought an avalanche was imminent.

It's been explained to you and the other guy who keeps insisting this is aliens that there was an avalanche, and panic/clothes stripping is a really normal set of circumstances because of the aforementioned avalanche, and because that's what people suffering from hypothermia do.

I get it, it's a weird thing that happened, but every single one of the 'mysterious' parts are made up, mistranslated, or just misunderstood.

The actual real reports, analysis by people thinking rationally, etc. Specifically, they are not: your strange twenty-second-on-google and designed for clicks results lmao.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I'm on mobile and at work so I'm not able to look up the exact source but my understanding is that the trekkers had gotten lost/turned around due to weather, which lead to them camping in a different place than planned. It also means they're tired and more prone to make mistakes and are more vulnerable to hypothermia. Even a pretty small avalanche would be enough to cause panic in a group that's already tired and on edge.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting there to be more of a mystery but there's been too much poo poo made up and exaggerated and I hardly ever see people pointing out more mundane causes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
it's "trekkies"

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Besesoth posted:

Primary sources, friend. Remember your junior-high essays.

I love that you “my dude”d me, posted that, plus the ghost icons and “skeeeeeeeeeeletons toooootally puuuuuuuuulped” after accusing me of looking down my nose at people, and telling me how “literary license” is part of the problem.

What are the primary sources you’ve read? Whose names were on them? Where did you read them?

Captain Monkey posted:

It's been explained to you and the other guy who keeps insisting this is aliens that there was an avalanche, and panic/clothes stripping is a really normal set of circumstances because of the aforementioned avalanche, and because that's what people suffering from hypothermia do.

I get it, it's a weird thing that happened, but every single one of the 'mysterious' parts are made up, mistranslated, or just misunderstood.

The actual real reports, analysis by people thinking rationally, etc. Specifically, they are not: your strange twenty-second-on-google and designed for clicks results lmao.

I have no idea what you’re saying here? What 20-seconds-on-Google results? “Analysis” of what? I could “analyze” any dumb claims on any fan website, reason through them completely rationally, and come to an insane conclusion because the data were faulty. What data were these analyses based on? Who are the analysts? Which books or papers are you referring to? I’m sure you have some specific ones in mind, so share them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Captain Monkey posted:

You sure do seem to have strong opinions on this for someone who has clearly not gone deeper than "skimmed the Wikipedia article".