Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Lunethex posted:

I hope Dedicated Servers don't actually prevent host quitting from ending the game. I wanna see the meltdown to follow.

The 'host' in this case would be the dedicated server instance, not an actual player, so I don't know how you see that working. Obviously if the server goes down you're all still hosed, but normally this is a much rarer occurance since the dedicated server doesn't have to run any Graphical/UI/Sound stuff.

I fully expect talents to plain not work on dedicated servers tho, considering how badly their track record is wrt host/client

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Fishstick posted:

The 'host' in this case would be the dedicated server instance, not an actual player, so I don't know how you see that working. Obviously if the server goes down you're all still hosed, but normally this is a much rarer occurance since the dedicated server doesn't have to run any Graphical/UI/Sound stuff.

I fully expect talents to plain not work on dedicated servers tho, considering how badly their track record is wrt host/client

If they do it right maybe they'll somehow keep Steam maintenance from interrupting the game every week.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Have you guys with bad hosts problems tried just hosting pubs yourself? Unless you think you have worse interne than generic Midwest pub on satellite internet, there isn’t much reason to not click “host game” button yourself. There’s enough players that it still fills up nearly as quickly as quick join

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Yeah but quickplay is half a ranald bar.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

Xaris posted:

Does Hagbane DOT hit activate through Armor unless it's a headshot? More specifically, some bosses like Ribspreader it didn't seem to do anything at all and he's insanely hard to headshot anyways. I guess on those maps you basically just want to hold a Strength pot to make it work?

There's armor and there's 'super' armor. Because this game makes lots of sense and isn't confusing at all.

Chaos Warriors have super armored bodies, regular armored heads. Armored bosses like Spinemangler or Ribspreader (end bosses of Into the Nest // Warcamp) are 'super' armored as well, apart from their heads which may be unarmored or 'regular' armored. Not sure.

Hagbane DOT I'm 90% sure doesn't work against super armor even charged unless you have a strength pot. So you want to maximize value by tossing a bomb with the damage buff trait right before you pop the Strength potion and unleash charged Hagbane as uncharged won't do damage on impact but will do paltry DOT damage even with barrage. On Legend this can reliably remove 1/2 to 1/4 of their health, it's hard to gauge the damage currently as End-Boss damage isn't tallied at the end and the bar's also being affected by your teammates smashing him. White-listed damage number UI mod's can't come soon enough :whip:

Even with the strength pot... hopefully you or your team has an additional anti-armor answer as landing headshots isn't super reliable due to the agro you end up drawing makes those bosses love charging you. But you do have a good Hagbane role in watching for trash spawns during those fights.

I had this nail-pulling win against the War Camp boss with a full team of pub's who had no ammo regen traits and kinda paltry anti-armor weapons. So most of the damage ended up being from people landing heavy charged melee headshots, which if you've even tried with the 2H sword on Elf is kind of ridiculous as to do it reliably you have to jump to make certain you hit his head and not his chest.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Foehammer posted:

Nah what I do is just Start A Map as host, but stay in the keep obviousl. It still counts for people Quick Joining. Once you get at least one person (or even all 4) you can cancel with F10 and click Quicj Play again (also you can hit M to open the map screen)

I didn’t mean my aforementioned post as the git gud of playing, just more of a PSA that hey you can host and not take a chest hit.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

im depressed lol posted:

There's armor and there's 'super' armor. Because this game makes lots of sense and isn't confusing at all.

Chaos Warriors have super armored bodies, regular armored heads. Armored bosses like Spinemangler or Ribspreader (end bosses of Into the Nest // Warcamp) are 'super' armored as well, apart from their heads which may be unarmored or 'regular' armored. Not sure.

Hagbane DOT I'm 90% sure doesn't work against super armor even charged unless you have a strength pot. So you want to maximize value by tossing a bomb with the damage buff trait right before you pop the Strength potion and unleash charged Hagbane as uncharged won't do damage on impact but will do paltry DOT damage even with barrage. On Legend this can reliably remove 1/2 to 1/4 of their health, it's hard to gauge the damage currently as End-Boss damage isn't tallied at the end and the bar's also being affected by your teammates smashing him. White-listed damage number UI mod's can't come soon enough :whip:

Even with the strength pot... hopefully you or your team has an additional anti-armor answer as landing headshots isn't super reliable due to the agro you end up drawing makes those bosses love charging you. But you do have a good Hagbane role in watching for trash spawns during those fights.

I had this nail-pulling win against the War Camp boss with a full team of pub's who had no ammo regen traits and kinda paltry anti-armor weapons. So most of the damage ended up being from people landing heavy charged melee headshots, which if you've even tried with the 2H sword on Elf is kind of ridiculous as to do it reliably you have to jump to make certain you hit his head and not his chest.

:tipshat: thanks it wasn clear but looked like it wasn’t even working. Makes sense

Elf was my last char to get to 30 and I had fun playing Handmaiden with 1H Sword/Spear and Hagsbane that I only ever bothered pulling out for magdumping bosses which it was good but then Into the Nest/WarCamp would pop and I’d be like ah gently caress welp this isn’t working at allll

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Foehammer posted:

You can start quickplay with your group once you've finished the initial host game, though that assumes the group isn't terrible or has people drop out. Not an ideal solution, especially if you only have time for one map, but it's something.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
I finally bothered leveling Saltpyre, snagging me all current Rattentide achievements. Expect that to never reach 100% completion again if they add any achievement more in depth than 'playing the game normally'.

That said, I took Bounty Hunter for a spin in legend. Holleeee Sheeeeit. I can see why people are so enthralled with this class now. It's incredibly pleasing to have the ability to kill what you attack.

Xaris posted:

Have you guys with bad hosts problems tried just hosting pubs yourself?

My own hosting is terrible because of bad upload speed, and I have the best upload speed I can buy. When I host, success rates drop noticeably and people complain of lag.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I love salty BH with the regular 1shot crossbow. Does a lot of damage, and it has a high crit chance so between blessed shots you'll still probably get more ammo back than you're using.

Non crits will kill stoemvermin too

Not the absolute best vs bosses but still not bad

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Xaris posted:

:tipshat: thanks it wasn clear but looked like it wasn’t even working. Makes sense

Elf was my last char to get to 30 and I had fun playing Handmaiden with 1H Sword/Spear and Hagsbane that I only ever bothered pulling out for magdumping bosses which it was good but then Into the Nest/WarCamp would pop and I’d be like ah gently caress welp this isn’t working at allll

Also the order of what I typed may not be the most optimal. There's a lot of room for optimization on the Waystalker side, like if you wanted to sperg super hard about it maybe getting Barrage proc's with some light Hagbane spam before your charged shots and figuring out the absolute most optimal Trueflight timing i.e. weighing the damage value of Trueflight during strength pot vs getting the most ammo back vs. blah bleh :spergin: it's all up in the air until we get enough monkeys with access to live damage numbers via sanctioned mods.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Speaking of elf, I honestly think the dagger buff has supplanted the glaive almost entirely. They require more skill to handle a horde to the same degree, but they are fully capable of doing the same level of work overall. The heavy combo, while not technically as strong, is much easier to handle in general. There's a lot of situations which the double donk of the glaive isn't reasonable or possible. The only downside to these is not having any recourse should you be totally cornered. A lot of weapons can just barely fight their way out of a bad situation. DD can't really do that.

"Don't screw up in the first place" always applies, but we know how that goes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

im depressed lol posted:

Also the order of what I typed may not be the most optimal. There's a lot of room for optimization on the Waystalker side, like if you wanted to sperg super hard about it maybe getting Barrage proc's with some light Hagbane spam before your charged shots and figuring out the absolute most optimal Trueflight timing i.e. weighing the damage value of Trueflight during strength pot vs getting the most ammo back vs. blah bleh :spergin: it's all up in the air until we get enough monkeys with access to live damage numbers via sanctioned mods.
Yeah I'm sure. Though the only Elf subclass I actually really liked was Handmaiden since she's similar enough to other classes I usually play. So I don't think there's a lot of optimization for HM other than just magdumping the 23 shots and I just use a Barrage Hags with the lovely 7% chaos 6% armored rolls until the Green Dust fix finally hits so I can play around with different builds. Could see some WS stuff being more useful with it.

SADLY, this also means I often end up carrying a Grim too since I Don't Die, buit then I Am Worthless if its a boss map since I can't carry a Str Pot so welp.

Fuuka Ayase posted:

Speaking of elf, I honestly think the dagger buff has supplanted the glaive almost entirely. They require more skill to handle a horde to the same degree, but they are fully capable of doing the same level of work overall. The heavy combo, while not technically as strong, is much easier to handle in general. There's a lot of situations which the double donk of the glaive isn't reasonable or possible. The only downside to these is not having any recourse should you be totally cornered. A lot of weapons can just barely fight their way out of a bad situation. DD can't really do that.

I tried Dual Daggers on Handmaiden and it felt absolutely awful. I'm sure it could be good on Shade (I have only tried her a couple of times at like level 15) but I could just not-not take damage with DD, even spamming dodge. Felt like they had no range or stagger so I'd always get wacked and the push-stab was atrocious which didn't pair well with Handmaidens infinite-stamina/push-stab poo poo. Any tips or is DD specifically more delegated to Use on WS/Shade?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 30, 2018

sandball
Jan 6, 2006

Fuuka Ayase posted:

It does make for a good case to bring a hagbane, provided you can live with the ammo life.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Oi, Hag the baneparts
https://gfycat.com/InfatuatedSoreHapuka

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Why do you like the 2H Sword? Just curious, I think that’s one of the few I haven’t t tried because I thought it was bad (coming from Kruber the 2H Sword is rear end). But I am rather liking the 1H Sword so far because it’s almost Spear level in crazy push stab spam and horde wiping, while not being as terrible as Spear when it comes to armor because the first charge and eyepoke charge are clunky af to whip out whereas the overhead chop is much more controllable and seems to do even more armor damage.

I’d love to run the Spear allways but having bad armor damage is not really passable in legend when almost everything that matters in terms of wiping-potential scenarios is armored

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

If I had a red 1H sword I'd use it. BUT the 2H was my first (and second) red for Elf so I forced myself to figure out how to make it work. Apart from some weird command queue-blocking-weapon-swapping issue that I can't fully articulate it's my favorite weapon in the game.

I have parry on it and +whateverMAX% Push/Block range so the parry range is pretty wide (I assume parry is effected by this... but :fatshark:). Probably my favorite part about the weapon, though, is (like with Sienna's Dagger) when you swing the light attack you actually move forward faster. It's a strange momentum thing that combined with dodges gives you weird mobility that no other weapon seems to compare to. So you can watch the backline and if your team needs you you can swing/swing/swing towards them and close the gap. Combined with the Hagbane's ability to stagger trash it becomes a great broom.

I have red DD but still use the 2H sword out of habit at this point despite its kind of lovely armor performance. I just got used to jumping and head-poking Chaos Warriors if the need arises.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 30, 2018

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Plus you get to feel anime as gently caress when you dead-simple poo poo like this
https://gfycat.com/AnyReadyAlabamamapturtle

Edit: if you don't wanna do a frame-by-frame spergfest look at Kruber's health melt to confirm it's Legend, all the red-damage-indicators I'm recieving are from Hagbane AOE and all the enemy swings are being parried.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 30, 2018

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

no one believes hagbane is good

it took someone putting in the effort to make a gif to get people thinkin

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

quote from pub yesterday:

"whaaaaaaat, you bringing hagbane to legend?"

N O T I C E
-You have been removed from the game-
| OK |

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Group think isn't always accurate. A hagbane with a strength pot can solve some interesting gameplay problems on legend. Without pots, it's noticeably more limited than any other option the elf has. I wouldn't say weak or useless, but you have to be aware of it's mechanics and how many shots you need on each unit at your difficulty. It's more a case of it being more straight forward to simply spam a shortbow or longbow things in the face. Waystalker is the only one that can fully appreciate it as well.

2H Sword on elf is incredibly good. I'd say I like it better than the spear as a line holding weapon.. The thing to realize is this thing has movement momentum on attacks and is incredibly mobile with that and dodges in the equation. It's kind of a weird combination of qualities, but I like it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

im depressed lol posted:

N O T I C E
| OK |

I was under the impression thatd hagbane dot can spread to allies. Or, at least, do a hefty chunk of FF damage if you hit a friendly.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I was under the impression thatd hagbane dot can spread to allies. Or, at least, do a hefty chunk of FF damage if you hit a friendly.

Getting FF'd by a hagbane sucks pretty goddamn hard.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Shoot your teammate with a Hagbane arrow and ask them how much HP they lost. If it's more than ~4% of the bar something is very wrong. Keep in mind on Legend you will lose your whole bar quickly thanks to enemy doubling/tripling in slots around you, completely breaking your guard and downing you instantly.

A lot of people hear their character bitch about friendly fire and immediately assume that Elf (me in this scenario) just caused them to lose half their healthbar. When nah, it was actually the 30 rats I tried getting off you and two still managed to get through.

There is an argument to be made about friendly fire in general loving with aim but if you're an Elf why are you shooting someone who is aiming and if you're the person complaining about friendly fire why are you aiming when there's 40k rats near you?

To further hammer the point home getting health on kills absolutely negates the damage. But HUNTSMAN slamming fully charged arrows 3 times+ in row.. that's 30%+ your healthbar which is easily one rat smack and that can hurt.

Edit: Thank you duckfarts

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 30, 2018

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

im depressed lol posted:

Shoot your teammate with a Hagbane arrow and ask them how much HP they lost. If it's more than ~4% of the bar something is very wrong. Keep in mind on Legend you will lose your whole bar quickly thanks to enemy doubling/tripling in slots.

I dunno, i watched someone kiting a Roger slowly drain about a quarter health. He blamed the hagbane, and i know if the roger hit him his health would have dropped a lot faster.

Again, this is on legend.

Edit: I have no idea how many hagbanes it would have taken.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
how many hagbanes does it take to get to the center of a nurgle pop?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
The nice thing about playing Foot Knight with +45% health is that hagbane shots do nothing to me. I don't think I've even seen the health bar move because of it.

Good thing too, because the elf is always shooting me.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

If you're playing with some rear end in a top hat who does this they don't deserve to win all the points and get the high score anyway
https://gfycat.com/AlarmedUnfoldedHumpbackwhale

I just checked and my Huntsman has a 20% HP trinket on but I don't think he has any other HP boosts innate to the class and I'm not gonna bother recording another thing to show the green bar move slightly faster.

Edit: Here's a real-world example of friendly fire hagbane on Bounty Hunter. One shot in the back tickles his health a little but what actually puts him down is the massive overreach of the boss's swing.
https://gfycat.com/BlackandwhiteDeepGoral

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 30, 2018

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Fishstick posted:

Getting FF'd by a hagbane sucks pretty goddamn hard.

no it doesnt

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

ive unloaded my entire quiver into idiot goons who say that to prove a point

i cant kill you fuckers if i tried with the hagbane

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

im depressed lol posted:

N O T I C E
| OK |

i ran dual dagger/haggbane waystalker last night on legend because gently caress the police

I had all the green circles. all of them.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

The hagbane apologist has logged on

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

If you don't immediately shoot the guy who attempts to whine/mumble/gurgle via the laughably bad in-game voip about the single Hagbane shot he received you're not doing your Elven duty.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Hagsbane is good and I was using it and a Slayer said I hate j stat made hagsbane popluar when it's not

I've never watched a twitch stream of any game, much less of vermintide 2 and only know who j stat is from this thread

I was loving around and used an orange hagsbane I got and it was working pretty well so I independently discovered it works well for my play style

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

ELF LIFE グすっ

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

im depressed lol posted:

There is an argument to be made about friendly fire in general loving with aim but if you're an Elf why are you shooting someone who is aiming and if you're the person complaining about friendly fire why are you aiming when there's 10k rats near you?

P sure you meant 40k rats

Drythe posted:

i ran dual dagger/haggbane waystalker last night on legend because gently caress the police

I had all the green circles. all of them.

Ugh, rogue elf taking all the damage like a noob

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I understand that FF doesn't do very much damage in general especially on champion, but goddamn is it annoying to play with a Sienna who simply does not give a gently caress about it and starts hosing everything down. Just the constant hit-markers and characters screaming about being FF'd and the Sienna blithely waltzing off gets grating, especially if you don't have a good source of temp health.

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking
Same but IBs with drakefires. I had two separate IBs just constantly firing through everyone the other night.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm starting to dislike elf, any elf, less than the dwarf with the bb gun (drakefire pistols?). They never stop firing throughout the entire game and it's so annoying when you get hit, even if it doesn't do much damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Some things actually do pretty noticeable FF damage on legend such as the krubow