Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

HootTheOwl posted:

How about a late first rounder and the hossa contract for a bag of pucks?

Retain some salary and the Sens will probably give them a 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

iospace posted:

paging CBJ: please list some of the petty poo poo Ohio State has done in regards to the jackets

DJExile posted:

Ohio State was somewhat understandably annoyed with an arena going downtown when they'd just poured a shitload of money into building the Schottenstein Center, so it already presented competition for concerts and such.

That said, it was basically a lot of politicking and backroom poo poo trying to quash the expansion because god forbid anyone challenge the OSU brand. They'd already killed the Columbus Chill and made sure the Crew were shoved out to the outskirts of town. The Jackets were just another target. Chill Factor is a great read about how the Columbus Chill did their absolute damndest to deal with both the challenges of being a minor league team, and OSU's bullshit. It's really worth a read.

From Chill Factor:

quote:

"How far did the Ohio State University Athletic Director work behind the scenes to deliberately undermine the city's campaign to secure major league sports? He pressed influential media-including those at the Dispatch-to disparage the arena/NHL movement. In Geiger's pitch, Columbus was not ready for the major leagues and would always be a small market, unable to survive with the likes of New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles."

Portzline did a great writeup during the peak of the Arena dealings (which I can't find anymore) and it's been a while since I read Chill Factor, but I had a couple things bookmarked.

Columbus had been in the running to possibly be the new home for the Whalers and there was talk of a temporary arena being opened in a hangar at the airport, but Karmanos did something which made it apparent it wasn't going to happen. The temporary arena idea stayed alive when Lamar Hunt was considering owning the NHL expansion franchise, but he eventually backed out. What people might not know is the original Arena District concept also included (and this is timely right now) a downtown arena for the Crew, which was eventually cut from the plan. (Geiger was asked about the financial benefit the Crew gave OSU when they played at The Shoe and undersold the hell out of it to continue the theme from the quote above.)

I think there was at least a partial element regarding the Schott that both were going to be built around the same time and there was a sense of "Columbus doesn't need two arenas so, if we (OSU) can build the Schott first, nobody will ever get behind a downtown arena for the Chill or an NHL/NBA team.". All this was pushed through by Gordon Gee (two-time OSU president who was later fired because he couldn't keep his mouth shut and was probably a closet bigot) using backchannels to powerful state politicians while OSU simultaneously sat on a city coalition to try to work together on a downtown arena which could be shared. As the Arena went to a public vote, Gee himself joined the city panel (and David Paitson, Chill GM, knew something was hosed); sure enough, a couple days before the vote, the Dispatch ran an op-ed from "Gee's wife" on what an awful idea taking the site of a former prison and turning it into something nice was, torpedoing the bill. It was Paitson essentially calling Gee and his wife an rear end in a top hat and a oval office in a newspaper article after the vote which got the attention of John McConnell, who intervened and personally bankrolled the team while Nationwide built the arena.

Basically, all they had to do was mold the minds of those who subscribed to the OSU cult and it was over. Ironically enough, some people in Columbus lost some faith in the university once word got out as to some of the things they did. Still, if there was ever a university which did its damnedest to try and hinder the growth of the city in which it resides, it was that one.

In more recent years, they've said repeatedly they won't hold a Winter Classic/outdoor game at The Shoe if the CBJ ever get one because "it'd be too expensive to turn the water back on" and scheduled the 2015 National Championship celebration pep rally during the middle of All-Star weekend, essentially giving some people the choice of "OSU pep rally or NHL fan fest/activities/Skills Competition".

e- Also, the Chill didn't die by the hand of OSU; they were in need of an arena anyway because they had to play at the Fairgrounds and would play home games in Troy or Dayton (50-60 miles away each) when stuff like the Quarterhorse Convention came to town because :lol: if OSU was going to let them use their rinks and there were literally no other acceptable rinks even remotely close. The deal was they'd voluntary sacrifice themselves to give way to the team which became the CBJ. They wound up becoming the Reading Royals and Horn Chen got what amounted to a ceremonial ownership stake in the CBJ.

Still, I wish I'd have been a hockey fan in those days because the Coliseum looks like a janky-assed dive in which to watch a hockey game and it would've been an honor to spend nine American dollars to see a game there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9HrtIfgdos

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 30, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'll be damned, I completely forgot the Chill became the Reading Royals.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

JoelJoel posted:

Retain some salary and the Sens will probably give them a 1st.

Hey now we'd have to actually give them something. Like a Brent Seabrook?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Is the whole Kessel is not well conditioned thing real or just because he looks like a dude who sits on the couch all day? I mean he puts up incredible numbers and never misses games, he can't be that out of shape, right?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Kessel was always one of the top performers on fitness tests in Leafs camps. He's 30 years old, plays close to 20 minutes per night, and has played nearly 700 consecutive games. He's in good shape.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Used to say the same thing about Ovechkin. Just look for the infamous controller unplugged gif...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phil Kessel has Captain America powers and only his fat laziness keeps him within normal human limits.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Aphrodite posted:

Phil Kessel has Captain America powers and only his fat laziness keeps him within normal human limits.

I don't know... that sounds like a pretty good deal.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Zodijackylite posted:

Kessel was always one of the top performers on fitness tests in Leafs camps. He's 30 years old, plays close to 20 minutes per night, and has played nearly 700 consecutive games. He's in good shape.

I seem to remember that one of the symptoms of his ball-ectomy is a lack of muscle tone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Most men produce normal levels of testosterone after a single orchiectomy but it's not rare for a drop.

Being in the NHL I assume Kessel can't do testosterone replacement if his levels are lower now either.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Didn't he say he doesn't train over the summer? That might be fine for a twenty year old, but he'll probably need to change that if he wants to stay good into his 30s

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Duck Rodgers posted:

Didn't he say he doesn't train over the summer? That might be fine for a twenty year old, but he'll probably need to change that if he wants to stay good into his 30s

Two Cups, one ball, zero fucks. Kessel owns.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

kalensc posted:

Three hot dogs, two Cups, one ball, zero fucks. Kessel owns.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Duck Rodgers posted:

He absolutely trains over the summer, including past stints with Gary Roberts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He said he barely skates during the summer, just a handful of times. He does other stuff.

That was a few years ago though, he's probably needed to change his routine now.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

He said he barely skates during the summer, just a handful of times. He does other stuff.

That was a few years ago though, he's probably needed to change his routine now.
Maybe, but the back-to-back Cups runs probably count as far summer skating practice goes. :v:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

N: Kovalchuk wants back into the NHL
V: Whoever picks him up, enjoy your locker room cancer.

Stay in Russia you shitbag.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
When Kessel was in Toronto, probably 2014, he said he took a month off to fish and golf, then resumed weight training. He got grilled in the media because Toronto sucks, so the quote that he didn't skate much was the headline. I recall him being mentioned as always being one of the best on fitness tests in Leafs camps. He trains alongside guys like McDavid and Stamkos with Gary Roberts, and Roberts talked about him being on par with those guys in some ways, with others to work on. Sullivan and others praised him at Pens training camp.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Diet Crack posted:

:rolleyes:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Diet Crack posted:

Can't wait for that shitbag to score thirty for the Rangers this year and be a cool and good teammate.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Points?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Nah, 30mil before he fucks off and retires.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
My prayers answered, Bowness is out in TB. How big of a boner should I have right now? My opinion: pantful of bone.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Didn't see THAT coming

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/don-cherry-asks-gary-bettman-014122745.html

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

So... Jeremy Jacobs is the worst owner in the NHL, right?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

grack posted:

So... Jeremy Jacobs is the worst owner in the NHL, right?

Are we talking some alternate timeline when that random sens fan didn’t give Melnyk his liver or something

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jeremy Jacobs is a dick but he's really far from the only reason Quebec City doesn't have a team right now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Comcast owns the Flyers so Jacobs can never be #1 in evil.

Plus like there's a bunch of energy and technology guys ruining the environment and employing slaves.

Also Little Caesars.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The day Jeremy Jacobs is no longer involved with hockey will be a very good day

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1002189961171558401

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr8VEhJ1c0k

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'd forgotten who 17 on the Flyers was during that Cup run. Now I remember.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I miss these commercials

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Chicago signed five nobodies including Darren Raddysh, is sort of rad. Rad-ish, if you will.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Corey Pronman posted his yearly list of where the prospects ranked against other prospects on draft day. He is just basing it off his own evaluations from the time.

The biggest surprise? He ranks Laine over Matthews (second and third overall, respectively). What does this mean? Absolutely nothing. Both teams got a franchise player. It's also funny to see Puljujarvi ranked 6th.

At the end, he does think that 2019's Jack Hughes has the potential to be a better prospect than Laine, and slot right under McDavid.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Twin Cinema posted:

Corey Pronman posted his yearly list of where the prospects ranked against other prospects on draft day. He is just basing it off his own evaluations from the time.

The biggest surprise? He ranks Laine over Matthews (second and third overall, respectively). What does this mean? Absolutely nothing. Both teams got a franchise player. It's also funny to see Puljujarvi ranked 6th.

At the end, he does think that 2019's Jack Hughes has the potential to be a better prospect than Laine, and slot right under McDavid.

Did he rank Dahlin?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jovial Cow posted:

Did he rank Dahlin?

Ranked him 5th, and said he could be a better prospect than Ekblad, Doughty, and Hedman.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Laine is what people accused Ovechkin of being. He’s not a strong player at all along the boards or 5v5, and defensively he’s almost a liability. Don’t get me wrong I love him and he’s only 20 so I’m sure his game will round out but I’m really worried about giving him 10m a year contract cause that could be crippling if he doesn’t add some more elements to his game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Twin Cinema posted:

He ranked Laine over Matthews. Doesn't mean he still would. Similarly, Puljujarvi now vs two years ago.

• Locked thread