Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Rhyno posted:

I'd be silly to buy a parts MS6 with a blown motor right?

Like, really silly?

Do you need the parts? Do you have the space? Is it priced appropriately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Do you need the parts? Do you have the space? Is it priced appropriately?

Yes, there's several bits that make it worth it. Yes, space is not an issue. Yes, price is low enough that I can pull what I want and probably sell a handful of parts and then scrap the rest and I'd break even.

I just can't decide what to do as far as what I want to keep driving.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Upgrade.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I really need a set of those stickers for my wagon.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
My wife and I are downsizing, we just paid off her car and while I love my CX-5 we need to sell it and just get something cheap.

I found cheap.

2010 Mazda 3 Touring with the 2.0L and a 5 speed manual. 177K miles, $2600 OBO.

What would you goobers look for when driving this? I am guessing the clutch is either on its last legs or was replaced recently. I just need something to get me by for a couple of years and if this thing feels right I think it could be the car. Talk me out of it...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is it a salvage title? It has to be for that price.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Nope, clean title. Has two accidents reported, one was someone backing into it and the other was a deer strike, so I am checking for the usual stuff but I believe the deer strike was a minor one. You can see scuffing on the bumper from it. I know it has a lose seat which seems to be covered by a TSB. I just need something cheap and dont mind putting some sweat into it if needed.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
That seems really cheap and if even drives basically ok it's probably worth that price.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mAlfunkti0n posted:

My wife and I are downsizing, we just paid off her car and while I love my CX-5 we need to sell it and just get something cheap.

I found cheap.

2010 Mazda 3 Touring with the 2.0L and a 5 speed manual. 177K miles, $2600 OBO.

What would you goobers look for when driving this? I am guessing the clutch is either on its last legs or was replaced recently. I just need something to get me by for a couple of years and if this thing feels right I think it could be the car. Talk me out of it...

Shocks & motor mounts should be checked out.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

An eight year old car nearing 200,000 miles? Just under $3k sounds about right.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Yeah uh 2600 for an economy sedan averaging 22,000 miles a year for 8 years isn't exactly "angry divorcee fire sale" territory

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Elmnt80 posted:

I really need a set of those stickers for my wagon.

They're $11 on Amazon.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Yeah uh 2600 for an economy sedan averaging 22,000 miles a year for 8 years isn't exactly "angry divorcee fire sale" territory

I’m never fortunate enough to find those fire sales. Generally just fortunate enough to find “its in your cheap price range and isn’t a bad deal”.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I’m now the owner of a 2010 Mazda 3. Runs well, nothing really out of place. People seem to not understand the concept of cabin air filters.

Offered $2200 and she took it. Drove it about 50 miles home with zero issue.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Was told today about a new Continental A/S Plus tire, just came out, might give it a try. Supposed to be softer rubber, I’m guessing that sacrifices some handling for a bit quieter ride? Rated 10k longer than Yokos, I know absolutely zero about the brand. Going to try and wait for their July 4 sale.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008
It got really warm here all of a sudden and I think my thermostat had a meltdown. Engine runs fine unless I get on the freeway, then coolant temp creeps past H and trips the "coolant sensor voltage low" trouble code (!).

What's a fair price for thermostat replacement on a MZR engine?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Are you talking about parts or labor? Parts wise it's pretty cheap, and I'd recommend using an OEM thermostat-- based on what I read on some forums. When I did mine, I didn't do much research and purchased an "OE equivalent" one off of RockAuto.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008
Parts and labor. I looked in the service manual and I'm pretty sure removing all the crap you need to replace the thermostat, and draining/refilling/burping the coolant, is beyond my skill level.

Satchmo
Nov 3, 2005
!?
The mechanic says my PMM is blown. I had the RMM replaced with the softest JBR mount and it's still more vibration than I'd like. Is my best bet the OEM mount if I want to keep vibration down as much as possible? I realize this means I'll have to replace it again sooner than I would with aftermarket.

Hopefully this will fix the clunking in the front. The rear clunking remains a mystery despite asking different shops to take a look for the past few oil changes.

edit: Also, the high pressure power steering hose has a leak. The reservoir is only slightly low. Is it a bad idea to keep an eye on it and top it off as needed? They're quoting $750 to replace it (the hose alone looks to be over $500.)

Satchmo fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 1, 2018

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Satchmo posted:

The mechanic says my PMM is blown. I had the RMM replaced with the softest JBR mount and it's still more vibration than I'd like. Is my best bet the OEM mount if I want to keep vibration down as much as possible? I realize this means I'll have to replace it again sooner than I would with aftermarket.

Hopefully this will fix the clunking in the front. The rear clunking remains a mystery despite asking different shops to take a look for the past few oil changes.

Rear sway bar end-links.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6

Satchmo posted:

edit: Also, the high pressure power steering hose has a leak. The reservoir is only slightly low. Is it a bad idea to keep an eye on it and top it off as needed? They're quoting $750 to replace it (the hose alone looks to be over $500.)

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure JBR is the worst when it comes to NVH. I think folks have had good luck using the E-Focus mount for improvement over stock while keeping NVH to a minimum.

No idea on the power steering thing.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Rear sway bar end-links.

Can these be torqued down/fixed more than once? I clunk pretty badly at low speeds on bumps now, honestly I know even less about all this than most of the other noob stuff I post about here.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Can these be torqued down/fixed more than once? I clunk pretty badly at low speeds on bumps now, honestly I know even less about all this than most of the other noob stuff I post about here.

If the end links are just loose, then yeah they can be tightened. If you're running a stiffer sway bar, the end links like to come loose. Depending on how old they are, they might just be going out, though.

Satchmo
Nov 3, 2005
!?

MetaJew posted:

Rear sway bar end-links.

I actually had the rear end links replaced along with the front struts, top hats, and bump stops about a year ago trying to fix the clunks to no avail. Even went back to have them check that everything was tight and they assured me it was. Maybe I'll try a different shop for the next oil change and see if they're any better detectives.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Oil change dudes don't give a flying gently caress. Get a jack and some stands and get dirty inspecting things yourself. There are only so many components in a suspension and only so many bushings that can go out.

Especially rear suspension setups. If the manufacturer cheaped out on lock nuts, they'll back out and poo poo absolutely will clunk. If it has been clunking for a long time, the threading is likely damaged and only liberal application of BRAPP may cheese things tight enough to hold for a while.

Ask me about my long and detailed history of battling lovely lock nuts on rockauto clearance sway bar links with only hand tools on my old Galant.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Satchmo posted:

I had the RMM replaced with the softest JBR mount and it's still more vibration than I'd like. Is my best bet the OEM mount if I want to keep vibration down as much as possible? I realize this means I'll have to replace it again sooner than I would with aftermarket.

I'll vouch for the E-Focus mount as being an upgrade over OEM but not adding significant NVH.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I've never actually removed my RMM, but the PO of my car claimed to have bought/installed the Cusco RMM insert. Since it's all I've ever known, I dont' know what I'm missing or if it significantly improved performance, increased NVH, etc. But that's also an option, I suppose.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

air- posted:

I'll vouch for the E-Focus mount as being an upgrade over OEM but not adding significant NVH.

Same. Did the same mod to my 2011 Speed3. E-Focus mount was very nice.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I just did the front sway links on my 3 and one of the rear links is shot. Rubber boot is torn, etc. the fronts used plastic “knuckles” and were probably bad 120k ago on mine. It’s an easy replacement. Just have it done or do it yourself, requires very few tools.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I just did the front sway links on my 3 and one of the rear links is shot. Rubber boot is torn, etc. the fronts used plastic “knuckles” and were probably bad 120k ago on mine. It’s an easy replacement. Just have it done or do it yourself, requires very few tools.

Good to know, thanks.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Would recommend putting Loctite on the end links while you're at the task of tightening them

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Absolutely second that motion. Glorp on the blue and crank that poo poo tighter than you think you need to.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Since I officially got the word from the insurance company today.

Rest in peace you wonderful red bastard. Best 45k miles I've ever driven.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

drat, how did that happen?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Lost a fight with a Toyota Corolla at 35mph. They took a crazy left turn blind and I ended up hitting their rear quarter panel with my right headlight.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

CascadeBeta posted:

Since I officially got the word from the insurance company today.

Rest in peace you wonderful red bastard. Best 45k miles I've ever driven.

This is a real shame. Replacing with another 3 or going a different direction?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
So I still have the Corksport adjustable shocks and Cobb springs on my Speed3, and it's too low and too stiff for the bullshit roads of Oakland.

OEM springs, or Eibach Pro-kits? + Bilstein B6 shocks? I'm looking for more of a GT ride than OMG RACECAR

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

So I still have the Corksport adjustable shocks and Cobb springs on my Speed3, and it's too low and too stiff for the bullshit roads of Oakland.

OEM springs, or Eibach Pro-kits? + Bilstein B6 shocks? I'm looking for more of a GT ride than OMG RACECAR

koni fsd

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hmm my driver's window won't go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
This gear may have stripped:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VYTDD3C/