Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There are probably shamans who worship the Dragonslayer in the form of Bruce Lee, and they are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly I sort of prefer that not everyone gets their own personal mission. It's a bit too formulaic otherwise and Dietriech definitely does enough to make his voice heard on a regular basis anyways.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Keldulas posted:

Honestly I sort of prefer that not everyone gets their own personal mission. It's a bit too formulaic otherwise and Dietriech definitely does enough to make his voice heard on a regular basis anyways.
I actually like how Dietriech's is handled. It's a story/side mission that is also, optionally, a personal mission. Surprised stuff like that doesn't happen more often, it would probably save a lot on dev time.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I feel like we're one smooth segue away from a discussion about the history of punk rock in Germany.

Someone come up with a smoother segue than mine, please.

Kenneth Brackhaven's niece, Tiffany Brackhaven, is in a long-term and happy relationship with Russian ork rapper called CrimeTime. It's not quite punk, but it's something.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

wiegieman posted:

Dietrich literally draws his magical power from the ritualistic battle against The Man. The bigger the fight he picks, the more power Dragonslayer will throw his way, kind of like holding up a million lighters at a concert only the lighters are fireballs.

I love everything about this image.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

There are probably shamans who worship the Dragonslayer in the form of Bruce Lee, and they are awesome.

Welp, know what my next HK playthrough's gonna look like.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Welp, know what my next HK playthrough's gonna look like.

I would love having the Dragonslayer totem on a melee guy. It just begs to happen. Pity Dietrich can never fully take advantage of it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Marche did nothing wrong :colbert:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

habeasdorkus posted:

Dietrich is 100% on board with punching Nazis.

Dietrich really is the best character in the Shadowrun series. Hell, he's better than companions in just about every RPG out there!

Dietrich :allears:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
So, uh, would it be possible to NOT show what happens if you don't take Dietrich in that mission? I really don't want to know.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Keldulas posted:

Honestly I sort of prefer that not everyone gets their own personal mission. It's a bit too formulaic...

I agree with you...

PMush Perfect posted:

I actually like how Dietriech's is handled. It's a story/side mission that is also, optionally, a personal mission. Surprised stuff like that doesn't happen more often, it would probably save a lot on dev time.

... which is why I also agree with you. I think that it shows good world-building. There's a support character that is relatable and lovable in his own way, and a family member who has become embroiled for some reason with a powerful, vile organisation that one would want to make miserable anyway. This way, one can help a friend while championing one's own cause, and it makes the "sidekick mission" not seem tacked on simply for the sake of giving every accomplice a moment in the limelight. After all, would any of us *not* go to piss in Humanis' corn flakes even if Deitrich's nephew wasn't involved?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That pun at the end is so amazingly bad it loops all the way around to being good.

The runner hiring system is clearly a legacy from DMS that is mostly there even though most people won't even use it. I kind of wish more of the hireables were on the level of Lucky Strike so they'd be possibly maybe worth taking over your crewmembers if you wanted to speedrun the game or something like that. On the other hand, the last thing that the game needs are reasons to leave Dietrich ever behind.

Fried Miltonman
Jan 4, 2015

Kanfy posted:

Last I checked, Russia was to the east of Finland, not west. Treacherous Swedes or too many years of Koskenkorva vodka having taken their toll on the troll?

What I was told in the Finnish Defence Forces is that if they're coming from the east, they're Russians, and if they're coming from the west, they're Russians in spacesuits.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:getin:

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Are we also gonna be collecting Nazi scalps?

Because I, personally, am in that line of business and business is a-BOOMIN’.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

My only point of dissatisfaction is that the Harebrained didn't get some German punk band to record a MESSERKAMPF! Song or two.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

So, uh, would it be possible to NOT show what happens if you don't take Dietrich in that mission? I really don't want to know.

Haha, of course not. Reminds me though, here's some more jerk dialogue that didn't fit into the update.

quote:

Rosa… we need to have a talk about this Humanis gig.

It isn't your place to tell me what I need to do.

Christ's sake. Cut the bullshit, Rosa. I put my life on the line for you, and I don't ask for a lot in return. The least you can do is hear me out.

Fine. Talk.

Pissy tonight, aren't we?

[He shakes his head.]

All right, I'll make this quick.

quote:

So I’m asking you, as a personal favor, to let me come along on the run. I have to get into that compound, Rosa... I *have* to find Alexander. I have to turn him around before those animals make him do something unforgivable.

Screw that. If your nephew signed on with those monsters, he deserves what’s coming to him. No excuses.

Boss. Please reconsider. *Please.* This is my *family* we’re talkin’ about here. He’s just a *kid.* And I can't do this myself.

No dice. My mind is made up on this.

[Dietrich shakes his head.]

All right, boss. It's your choice. But if you don’t bring me, don’t be surprised if I’m not here when you get back.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I remember ending the Lodge mission by telling the rear end in a top hat to gently caress himself sideways with a rake, so it's going to be a change to see what the actual jobs are.

I figure one run is a good story and a way to make the right enemies. More than that is just bad ideas.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

chiasaur11 posted:

I remember ending the Lodge mission by telling the rear end in a top hat to gently caress himself sideways with a rake, so it's going to be a change to see what the actual jobs are.

I figure one run is a good story and a way to make the right enemies. More than that is just bad ideas.

I think I pissed off the lodge immediately after doing the first mission. I'm not very good at being evil in videogames.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Kanfy posted:

Haha, of course not. Reminds me though, here's some more jerk dialogue that didn't fit into the update.

I refuse to believe anyone ever willingly chose those dialog options, unless they're a nazi or something.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I refuse to believe anyone ever willingly chose those dialog options, unless they're a nazi or something.

100% completion nutters? To get all the achievements you have to do some very heinous things.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

habeasdorkus posted:

I think I pissed off the lodge immediately after doing the first mission. I'm not very good at being evil in videogames.

:same:

There's morally gray, and then there's evil. Luca Duerr's all but wearing a shirt that says 'Ask me about my villainy'. And anybody who'd be mean to Dietrich deserves one too. :colbert:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I lit up that smug rear end in a top hat mage dude half way through the mission and never got round to completing the objective. I think Luca had booked before I even got back to the Kreuzbasar, so I never got to see any other jobs he had for me.
I really liked the Jana character and kind of hoped that a character like that (that is to say, somebody completely unprepared for the shadowrunning lifestyle, forced into it by circumstance) could have been a recurring team member. Makes for an interesting variation on the hyper competent high speed low drag operatives you usually get.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I don't know, I don't think you'd have to be a complete rear end in a top hat to at least take that second dialogue path. If I were playing as, say, a Troll who has already lost somebody important to them because of Humanis, or maybe even barely escaped an encounter with them alive, I might have some reservations about giving one of them a second chance because even though he associates with murderous human supremacists that would murder me and everybody like me without a second thought, he's totally not a bad guy, just trust my gut feeling here.

If there's a list groups that taking an absolute zero-tolerance stance against is justified, Humanis is definitely competing for the top spot on that list.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TheMcD posted:

I don't know, I don't think you'd have to be a complete rear end in a top hat to at least take that second dialogue path. If I were playing as, say, a Troll who has already lost somebody important to them because of Humanis, or maybe even barely escaped an encounter with them alive, I might have some reservations about giving one of them a second chance because even though he associates with murderous human supremacists that would murder me and everybody like me without a second thought, he's totally not a bad guy, just trust my gut feeling here.

If there's a list groups that taking an absolute zero-tolerance stance against is justified, Humanis is definitely competing for the top spot on that list.

True, but there's also the "go gently caress yourself" option before he even asks and... why would you do that to Deitrich, he's a bro.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

KataraniSword posted:

True, but there's also the "go gently caress yourself" option before he even asks and... why would you do that to Deitrich, he's a bro.

Yeah, that's why I specified that I meant the second dialogue path of those two. The first one is just being a prick, even if you are super committed to a chain of command where the one in charge makes the calls and the others follow, kind of like Eiger on steroids.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
You can in fact apologize for that first one afterwards, it's actually a nice little moment.

quote:

Christ's sake. Cut the bullshit, Rosa. I put my life on the line for you, and I don't ask for a lot in return. The least you can do is hear me out.

You're right. Sorry, Dietrich... I've been under a lot of pressure lately. Say whatever you wanted to say.

[He nods.] 'Sokay, boss... I understand. It can't be easy tryin' to lead us through everything that's been happening. I'll do my best to make this quick.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

communism bitch posted:

I lit up that smug rear end in a top hat mage dude half way through the mission and never got round to completing the objective. I think Luca had booked before I even got back to the Kreuzbasar, so I never got to see any other jobs he had for me.
I really liked the Jana character and kind of hoped that a character like that (that is to say, somebody completely unprepared for the shadowrunning lifestyle, forced into it by circumstance) could have been a recurring team member. Makes for an interesting variation on the hyper competent high speed low drag operatives you usually get.

When I abandoned the mission, Luca is still waiting in the coffee shop afterwards. All he does is insult you a bunch and then say the Lodge considered revenge against you, but decided you are to worthless and pathetic to waste the resources. Good riddance, it's a shame you can't just waste him then and there.

quote:

Closest thing are spirits that claim they're ghosts but there's literally no way to prove it, and there are spirits who would totally gently caress with people by pretending that they're ghosts.

One thing that happens sometimes, when a mage or shaman is seconds before death they will astrally project. A persons astral form will fade in about 24 to 48 hours without a body to return to, but it still gives them some time to tie up some loose ends. It's also used as a plot hook with the astral form hiring runners to investigate their own murder, similar to what Sam did in DMS.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

I dont know posted:

When I abandoned the mission, Luca is still waiting in the coffee shop afterwards. All he does is insult you a bunch and then say the Lodge considered revenge against you, but decided you are to worthless and pathetic to waste the resources. Good riddance, it's a shame you can't just waste him then and there.

Not that the devs didn't put a lot into this game, but it would have been great to be able to cap the smug gently caress right there, and then have the Lodge trying to make things hard on you for the rest of the game... perhaps add an edge of paranoia. I'm sure that Luca is a tiny, tiny cog in their machine and they would only be willing to expend limited effort in retaliation, which is good because the team would be hosed if the Lodge reeeeeeeeally wanted them to suffer.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

JustJeff88 posted:

Not that the devs didn't put a lot into this game, but it would have been great to be able to cap the smug gently caress right there, and then have the Lodge trying to make things hard on you for the rest of the game... perhaps add an edge of paranoia. I'm sure that Luca is a tiny, tiny cog in their machine and they would only be willing to expend limited effort in retaliation, which is good because the team would be hosed if the Lodge reeeeeeeeally wanted them to suffer.

Same, I was half expecting something like that due to metaplot reasons when the Lodge was first mentioned in game in that mission, but it never happened. Add me to the list of the people who wanted to cap Duerr right in his smug face when he blows you off for not doing the job as planned.

I'd like to think Jana, her boyfriend, and their cat made it out of Berlin alright with muscle elf. At least, I hope they really did.

TheMcD posted:

Humanis is like the KKK but international, somewhat powerful and still influential and with a pseudo political front that they can use, with the "hey, we're just a policlub, it's not our fault that some people use our rhetoric to attack those dirty metas" angle, that almost no one buys. Then there are out the outright Neo-Nazi end of the metahuman hate spectrum with Alamos 20k (the people who did the Sears Tower bombing and were responsible for turning the Chicago Loop into the Shattergraves, as mentioned in Kanfy's notes last update when he explained Humanis, among other general mayhem; their name references the total estimated population of Los Alamos when the Great Ghost Dance blew up Redondo Peak to destroy Los Alamos National Laboratories, killing them all), and the more respectable actual policlub that is the Human League that seems to be the more benign old social conservatives with a more anti-metahuman bent, who seem to buy into the whole "racism is over now" thing since actual metatypes have come back and there's another arbitrary basis for hate amongst people.

There are also the local groups, like the Knights of the Red Branch, who are the neo IRA made up of Irish and Irish Americans who want to take back Ireland from the keebs who have turned it into Tir na Nog.

Oh, and of course the Japanese are racist against metas as a policy, previously exiling all metatypes in their empire to a newly emerged in the Awakening island in their occupied and puppeted Prefecture of the Philippines that quickly got dubbed Yomi Island, and were prevented from leaving on pain of death via Japanese naval and drone patrols. Of course they didn't give them enough food or sheer infrastructure there for them all the survive. The new Emperor only recently rescinded the Yomi Island decree a decade ago after his predecessor was killed during the Ring of Fire, and he and the Diet called most of the troops home to rebuild the Home Islands. Helped that the Philippines re-won their independence at around the same time under a rebel movement known as the Huk.

The fact that one member of the Imperial Japanese family (or was it the heir) was killed as he was about to Goblinize (or was that the British Royal Family) is something that gets whispered around the shadows, but never said outright in Japan, lest the Imperial Household Agency and their empowered Shinto priests, to say nothing of your average Japanese sarariman, takes offense. Sure, the latter might not be much of a threat with their novelty stamped manufacture katana that's in style banging against their leg, but bring that up in a large enough crowd, and you might be in some danger, and that's before the Japanese police, CorpSec, the IHA, or the Imperial Marines or Army get involved if you bring it up in the wrong quarters.

Hell, Yamaetsu, previously the most liberal of the AAA Japanocorps holding a Corp Court seat, had to change their name to Evo and move their corporate HQ to Vladivostok, now an independent corporate enclave after most of Siberia broke away from Russia (who still might be Soviet since this bit of history was written in the 80s when the Cold War was still a big thing and the Soviets seemed like they would last, though it might've gotten quietly retconned and Russia is as State/Crony Capitalist as it is now) to form an Awakened Nation called Yakut, and their remains couldn't hold the Far East, in order to make the break more solid, after the old CEO died, and his son was an Ork that he couldn't make go away or hide any longer as his family shares passed to the son, Yuri, after the old man's heart attack invalidated him. Helps that Yuri was being advised by a rich Japanese teenager that suddenly showed up owning a large controlling percentage of the remaining shares not held by the family, who later turned out to be Buttercup, a Free Spirit that was discussed earlier in the thread.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

quote:

[...] your average Japanese sarariman, takes offense. Sure, the latter might not be much of a threat with their novelty stamped manufacture katana that's in style banging against their leg

Japanese corp drones wear mass-produced katanas as part of a fashion trend? :psyduck:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Anticheese posted:

Japanese corp drones wear mass-produced katanas as part of a fashion trend? :psyduck:

Not necessarily a fashion trend, but the neo-Bushido spirit thing they have going on, which has experienced a revival ever since the Japanese Imperial State was reestablished in the early 2000s, and especially with the new Emperor promoting it to rebuild Japan with the Yamato Spirit after the Ring of Fire.

Some carry katanas because it's the cool thing to do or part of the corpoate culture, some actually see themselves as part of the new samurai, even if they're only sararimen and just regular cogs in the machine of the Japanocorps instead of actually being people of some modicum of power like an exec or whatever. Maybe the execs buy into it more, I dunno.

Almost none of them are actually trained in their use, and are more a danger to themselves than to anyone they might attack; the most they might have is having seen a couple of combat trids or simsense recordings and more of a sense of bravery and overconfidence in their skill, maybe some everyday corporate group calisthenics using them, or more rarely some skillwires and a skillsoft. An actual high exec might have an actual corp sensei or dojo program or whatever to teach him use of the sword so he can feel more like the samurai he thinks himself to be or has his bodyguards train with him or something like that, but the actual bodyguards are much more the threat.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Mods?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kanfy posted:

You can in fact apologize for that first one afterwards, it's actually a nice little moment.
:unsmith:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Gonna call me on using trogs, breeders, and stunties too? I forget if Orks and Trolls use flatfaces for humans, they have one that's pretty good that's slipping my mind at the moment if that isn't it.

Man, fantastic racism comes with some of the best fake slurs around.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

GhostStalker posted:

Gonna call me on using trogs, breeders, and stunties too? I forget if Orks and Trolls use flatfaces for humans, they have one that's pretty good that's slipping my mind at the moment if that isn't it.

Man, fantastic racism comes with some of the best fake slurs around.

"Squishy".

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

IMJack posted:

"Squishy".

Sounds about right. There are a couple other good ones.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm sure the Altug would have loved that.

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 3, 2018

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
seriously, why would you interfere with our good friend altug's business like that. And you were so clearly getting to be friends!

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

wiegieman posted:

Dietrich literally draws his magical power from the ritualistic battle against The Man. The bigger the fight he picks, the more power Dragonslayer will throw his way, kind of like holding up a million lighters at a concert only the lighters are fireballs.

And now, thanks to my mind going in strange directions, picturing how the world of Brutal Legend would adapt to Shadowrun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Magil of Shadow posted:

And now, thanks to my mind going in strange directions, picturing how the world of Brutal Legend would adapt to Shadowrun

I don't know how, but I know I'd play it.