Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I got a hat for ranger that is the same goddamn hat but with little eye-protector pieces hooked to the nose piece.

People don't notice it even when you tell them you're wearing a hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Does your power level matter for drop chances when you're opening stuff? Saltzpyre is stuffed to the gills with oranges while my other careers could use work, but I'd rather not lose out on my seemingly tiny chances of a red drop by rolling with other characters.

What are the red drop chances, if anyone has any idea?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Ravenfood posted:

Does your power level matter for drop chances when you're opening stuff? Saltzpyre is stuffed to the gills with oranges while my other careers could use work, but I'd rather not lose out on my seemingly tiny chances of a red drop by rolling with other characters.

Power level only affects the power level of the items you get from chests. Item rarity is tied to how fancy the chest is. I don't have red drop chances, since they've changed over the past few patches.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

Power level only affects the power level of the items you get from chests. Item rarity is tied to how fancy the chest is. I don't have red drop chances, since they've changed over the past few patches.
Ok, cool. Was hoping it was that way, though with my luck I'd get a red staff or something as my first. Thanks!

dscruffy1 posted:

I go for the crit chance since crits usually work into all the other class/weapon traits etc. Depends on your weapon choice though I can't really think of Saltzpyre weapons that benefit greatly from attack speed.
Thanks, that was my thought process

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Character level does matter, I think reds don't drop until 25. If you want a specific weapon, you're better off just crafting it.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Why, of all things, are frames class-specific? :negative:

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

Sykic posted:

Holy poo poo, they are? gently caress this system then.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

Sykic posted:

:fatshark:

Also if you don't just rock the high school angst, skull frame at all times I dunno what to tell you. Other than you're dumb.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 2, 2018

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

Would it be too much to say every developing house should pay attention to these so they know not to take anyone who used to be a fatshark employee?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm one of the pro-braceo'pistols Saltz players here, aka style over substance, but I have to admit that my last two BH Saltz with Falchion and Brace runs were pretty loving bad, and then I switched to Recurve Crossbow and dominated my last run.

I still think that the pistols are better for me when playing WHC and Zealot since they shine as panic buttons, but as BH, taking the time to aim and more importantly sparing the ammo/free shots against key targets before you get close is a very important habit for BHs to learn.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm one of the pro-braceo'pistols Saltz players here, aka style over substance, but I have to admit that my last two BH Saltz with Falchion and Brace runs were pretty loving bad, and then I switched to Recurve Crossbow and dominated my last run.

I still think that the pistols are better for me when playing WHC and Zealot since they shine as panic buttons, but as BH, taking the time to aim and more importantly sparing the ammo/free shots against key targets before you get close is a very important habit for BHs to learn.

Also the ability to zoom in your active is very nice

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

BH passive is kinda wasted on brace, but holy smokes being a zealot who can instadelete specials at crazy ranges (and is a Death Turret near ammo packs) brings a whole lot to the team.

wait....

...really?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It helps that with the passive, you have a mercy shot sitting in your crossbow if you whiff the first one and remember to keep the drat thing loaded. If you miss with the second...well, even with the Brace you probably wouldn't have gotten the critter before a teammate gets it/it escapes/it gets you.

Also the Crossbow does nearly twice as much damage at far range compared to the Brace on a Blessed Shot crit. Might be overkill on Champ against elites, but you still take a chunk out of Warriors and bosses with it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What are the important break points for Legendary?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

what does that mean.

seriously what does that mean. my brain can't handle this.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Christian developer has to make sure resurrection is in the game. Makes sense.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, uh, I get a crash on startup despite being able to play this morning. Verified files, restarted steam, etc. Anyone else? A quick search of google didn't turn anything up for today.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rookersh posted:

what does that mean.

seriously what does that mean. my brain can't handle this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean it would explain a lot about how they so thoroughly and totally seem to understand the rat people.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

fadam posted:

What are the important break points for Legendary?

Here you go, have fun!

Note: the following advice isn't addressed specifically to you. I just felt like denigrating break-point culture in a game where you can win pretty easily just by doing what ultimately is pretty obvious stuff.

If you love this game, and you want to get better instead of burying your eyes in that spergalicious spreadsheet I would play and fail some Legend runs and learn from experience. Record your runs so you can figure out just why your team wiped, and what you could have done differently. So you can understand why Power VS. Chaos is important. The more vanilla/meta play-styles involve getting your crit-chance as high as possible so you proc Swift Slaying asap. I don't use Swift Slaying because Parry loving rules and is the most rewarding way to clutch things out with possibly infinite stamina as 3 Chaos Warriors can do nothing to you just because you press block in a hugely generous timing window before contact. Fight me you loving cowards

I don't pay much attention to breakpoints and win Legendary maps all the time with general map&game knowledge. Knowing where horde comes from via sound queues i.e. horde horns indicate where the next batch of trash is coming from, the different theme music for bosses. Knowing that Bosses or Patrols only spawn in specific areas of the map and are usually triggered by the first player passing some invisible trip-wire that sets off the Boss/Patrol spawn you will become Alpha-as-gently caress and communicate to your team "HEY! Let's force a horde so we don't get horde + Boss". Knowing where potions/bombs can spawn will save runs when a Chaos Patrol is somehow alerted to your presence via X-Ray vision in Screaming Bell's Second Grim courtyard.

Map knowledge like that makes Legendary much more than manageable, especially if you're touching the pub-stove. Heaven forbid you have to dodge the obscenely slow, hyper-telegraphed attacks of a Chaos Warrior and painfully tap your atrophied, decaying index finger one more time on your mouse.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 3, 2018

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Man I should have become suicidal years ago.

Huh..? What.. I can't phrase it like that? But they- Fine fine.

I mean to say that they can do whatever they want to Sienna now. I no longer care. Ultimately, her heat management isn't substantial enough to carry her gimmicks in legend. She lacks the stamina, as a character, to get all the way through any substantial battle. She also lacks the raw potency to carry her low stamina as a combatant, and I don't mean block stamina. Tense battles are regular on Legend, and in all likelihood Sienna will run out of anything truly helpful she can do before the halfway mark in said battle. Then reduced to the collection of the worst melee weapons in the game. Yet there are STILL cries to nerf her for having 'infinite ammo' when literally every other character does more ranged damage and have easy infinite ammo gimmicks. Fatshark can do what they want because I am done squeezing blood from a stone.

I've decided to practice slayer lately instead, and it's startling how someone without any ranged at all is more of an asset to the team than this sad sack of crap they call a fire mage. Really, lacking range hasn't been an issue at all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:whitewater:

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Fuuka Ayase posted:

I mean to say that they can do whatever they want to Sienna now. I no longer care. Ultimately, her heat management isn't substantial enough to carry her gimmicks in legend. She lacks the stamina, as a character, to get all the way through any substantial battle. She also lacks the raw potency to carry her low stamina as a combatant, and I don't mean block stamina. Tense battles are regular on Legend, and in all likelihood Sienna will run out of anything truly helpful she can do before the halfway mark in said battle. Then reduced to the collection of the worst melee weapons in the game. Yet there are STILL cries to nerf her for having 'infinite ammo' when literally every other character does more ranged damage and have easy infinite ammo gimmicks. Fatshark can do what they want because I am done squeezing blood from a stone.

Note to readers of this thread who read this disparaging opinion:

Sienna is a beautiful fire grandmother who is a great addition to any Legend run. Start by playing a level 25 Pyro with the good talents, a Fireball staff with that trait that reduces heat by 20%. Get that accessory/trinket with the trait that reduces your ability cooldown by 10% (or as close as you can) and Curse Resist ~28% or better. Set the loving world on fire, memorize horde spawn locations, and don't shoot your team.

Edit: added advice to memorize horde spawn locations

Edit 2: also don't let it get to your head when you realize you're basically a THE carry on maps like Into the Nest, where you just need to bring a purple drink (with 50% greater duration trait) to Spinemangler and basically turn him into a quivering pile of rat stew as your team devours him with no threat to themselves due to obscene levels of stagger that burning head thing brings to bosses.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 3, 2018

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

im depressed lol posted:

Sienna ... don't shoot your team.

Good joke.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

I genuinely love hearing "Why am I on fire?..... SIENNA!"

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Said in a manner like you're having a mid-life crisis/near death experience, and then realize nah it's just the fire granny burning you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you’re hosting I’d actually start with unchained on legend over pyro since you’re tanky as poo poo, use mace/beam staff and you can kill anything besides bosses. At high heat, block canceling the first normal attack with the mace gives you faster AP than a halberd and there’s a ton of armor on legend so you can do some good work

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

I had no motivation to play Unchained until the new incentives for gear, since I feel Pyro's actually kind of overpowered but put this in spoiler tags so it will remain forever hidden from Fatshark's.... balance... team?

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

Sykic posted:

Good joke.

*Kills teammate with uncontrollable ult*

Oops sorry about that.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

im depressed lol posted:

I had no motivation to play Unchained until the new incentives for gear, since I feel Pyro's actually kind of overpowered but put this in spoiler tags so it will remain forever hidden from Fatshark's.... balance... team?

If Unchained's entire core gimmick actually worked...

No, not even then. Unchained isn't OP even if you're the host. There are better characters even then.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
If you want to play ranged, there is stronger range class than Pyro for every other character. All with aggressive ammo gain gimmicks. Who is better range when both have infinite ammo but one does half the damage while also being the least accurate ranged class? I wonder. Her ULT is also weak and poorly coded even compared to it's nearest cousin, and other ranged classes have powerful friendly ults besides. Keep in mind these alternate ranged classes also have AOE either in the form of cone or line based AOE.

If you want to be a melee class, there are others just as, if not more, durable than Unchained without the cost of a heat gimmick gating how durable you are at any given moment. Also doing just as much damage as she does on high heat without such a heat gimmick. Oh, and all of their core gimmicks don't predicate themselves on you having to be host exclusively.

I save Battle Wizard for last because the fix to hero power talent actually makes her melee damage better than unchained. A melee/ranged hybrid with infinite ammo is also a standout. Except.. she doesn't have the health to really ply this strength in any capacity. You fold just as easily as a pyro. Block talents won't save you from tele-stabs or 'wait I was blocking!' health gouging. If they buffed her health pool she'd unironically be Sienna's strongest career. Though as such she is merely aggressively mediocre, and unreliable, atop a pile of questionable usefulness.

Yes. Tell me more about how Sienna is JUST FINE. :allears:

Fuuka Ayase fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 3, 2018

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Oi I'm sorry you haven't figured out Pyro. My apologies for your ineptness.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Her ult is weaker than Waystalker's and less well behaved. Other ranged characters arguably have even better ults than either. Her ranged damage is the weakest of any ranged class in the game, and every character has a ranged class with infinite ammo. All without having hoops to jump through to do what Sienna does worse than them. This is also widely regarded as Sienna's best class and it's STILL the worst at what it does.

There is no possible world where choosing anything else isn't better.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fuuka Ayase posted:

There is no possible world where choosing anything else isn't better.
Fashion. Flaming Sauron looks pretty loving dope.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Sienna is cool and good. Also I just found out that the mace heavy attack does a diagonal swipe then after that, chains infinite horizontal swipes. I think it's better than doing the light sweep combo but we'll see.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

Ravenfood posted:

Fashion. Flaming Sauron looks pretty loving dope.

I fully support anyone who just wants to cosplay Sauron. No sarcasm. If that's really what drives you, go for it. Just be aware you are playing the game with what amounts to training weights on.

Tagichatn posted:

Sienna is cool and good. Also I just found out that the mace heavy attack does a diagonal swipe then after that, chains infinite horizontal swipes. I think it's better than doing the light sweep combo but we'll see.

Mace is her best weapon, but that's not really saying anything. The mace itself is an inferior copy of similar weapons. If all one plays is Sienna, though, then naturally it'll feel really powerful by comparison.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Oh is it that part of the thread again

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Yes, that part of the thread again where we try to explain that liking a bad class does not make you a bad person for picking it so you don't need to aggressively defend it as if it's your very own mother.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

grandmother*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Hey Fuuka can you post some of your runs of Pyro so I can see how exactly you are slamming the square shape into the round hole.