Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

A genre I wish did not exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

NowonSA posted:

I think it's more that it'd be an issue for Holden if his brain is telling him he's seeing someone there talking to him but then he puts his hand through it and disproves the illusion. If Miller's being killed and rebuilt as often as he says then I think another boundary issue is less of a big deal than blowing Holden's mind.

Probably a mix of both makes the most sense though, can't really be a good thing to do for either of them right now.

On the other hand, if they can get the drat thing running right the Behemoth has got to have tons of luxuries that even a top of the line Mars battleship wouldn't have since it was originally designed to be shot out into space forever.

I'd imagine they'd gut the ship of most of those power-draining luxuries for more armament. They gotta load her up with guns past the point of practicality since it's a flagship and a symbol of power for the belters.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I can't think what luxuries the Navou would have where it'd make any difference. There's nothing that takes more power than railguns, just turning the things on knocked all the lights out on the Donnager.

The Martians are at least a generation ahead of Earth and the belt in tech too (probably more for the belt tbh).

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Was talking in another thread about hardpoints for military weapons... which I assume the Behemoth/Nauvoo wasn't built with. So mounting weapons bigger and more powerful than pdcs (with the recoil they'd have) on its existing frame... would be problematic wouldn't it?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Blackchamber posted:

Was talking in another thread about hardpoints for military weapons... which I assume the Behemoth/Nauvoo wasn't built with. So mounting weapons bigger and more powerful than pdcs (with the recoil they'd have) on its existing frame... would be problematic wouldn't it?

Very problematic. They glossed over this, I suppose it may come up later so I'll spoiler it, but by this point in the books they had tested the guns several times and they either blow out the power grid or fracture their frames: a definite glass canon.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Need to transition to phasers and photon torpedoes asap then.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

tooterfish posted:

I can't think what luxuries the Navou would have where it'd make any difference. There's nothing that takes more power than railguns, just turning the things on knocked all the lights out on the Donnager.

The Martians are at least a generation ahead of Earth and the belt in tech too (probably more for the belt tbh).

I think the Martians are getting lazy and too reliant on their advanced tech. They got creamed by the secret protogen ships with the Donnager and that Martian lady said that Admiral Souther was kicking their rear end in the old piece of junk Agatha King. And Alex was impressed by some of the Naval combat strategy Holden devised when they saved Chrisjen and Bobbie by exploding those rockets. Earth must come first. I guess I'm an Earthist.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Are there any good shots of the Behemoth from the outside, showing the newly mounted guns? I don't have good before and after images of the new warship.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the Martians are getting lazy and too reliant on their advanced tech. They got creamed by the secret protogen ships with the Donnager and that Martian lady said that Admiral Souther was kicking their rear end in the old piece of junk Agatha King. And Alex was impressed by some of the Naval combat strategy Holden devised when they saved Chrisjen and Bobbie by exploding those rockets. Earth must come first. I guess I'm an Earthist.

The martian admiral lazing about the Donager with a starbucks coffee cup is one of my favourite bits of characterisation in the series. "I thought we would win" indeed!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

IIRC it was "I didn't think we could lose", which says it even better.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
martians are extra prideful and cocky and it’ll ruin them

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah this is a large part of what I mean when I keep saying "the Behemoth was not built to be a warship." Military ships and weapons have very exacting and unique engineering standards, and just trying to weld a capital railgun onto the drum of a colony ship is usually going to end with the welds snapping after a few shots, if it even gets that many and you're lucky enough to have it just break the gun rather than try and snap off a chunk of hull with it. And that's if you can even fire it in the first place, what with the challenges of trying to power said railgun.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 3, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
For Nauvoo’s design voyage, it could accelerate slowly and it wouldn’t greatly affect the trip length since they had to coast most of the way anyway.

Engineering is all about using the minimum structure (+ safety factor) required for the foreseeable loads. Military vessels like Rocinante can murder their crew with g‐loads and stay intact. Behemoth almost certainly could not.

Snapping the mounts is the best result anyone could hope for when the railgun fires. You really don’t want to find out what happens if the impulse is transferred to the structure.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Platystemon posted:

For Nauvoo’s design voyage, it could accelerate slowly and it wouldn’t greatly affect the trip length since they had to coast most of the way anyway.

Engineering is all about using the minimum structure (+ safety factor) required for the foreseeable loads. Military vessels like Rocinante can murder their crew with g‐loads and stay intact. Behemoth almost certainly could not.

Snapping the mounts is the best result anyone could hope for when the railgun fires. You really don’t want to find out what happens if the impulse is transferred to the structure.

The Navoo was accelerating at some insane rate when she was trying to crash into Eros and stayed intact. Besides, all she needs to do is accelerate higher than 0.5G and her belter crew is probably bleeding out of their eyes.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Navou can handle lots of stress along its thrust axis, just like any other torch ship could. That doesn't mean it's built to handle forces outside of that.

Warships aren't designed to just accelerate in a straight line, they're also built to handle violent manoeuvring, and to get shot at. Apply too much force to the Navou that isn't directly back to front and it'd most likely tear in half.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

VagueRant posted:

Also notes from the oft-ignored podcast:
  • Cas Anvar (Alex) talked about the night Jeff Bezos announced they were saving the show. That was real sudden timing, it turns out, legit surprise from the crew and cast, super tangentially related dinner, pure coincidence. The writers all thought the show was deffo ove, never gonna be saved, and were very surprised to check their WhatsApp from the guys!
  • At the news, Wes (Amos) was wooping going crazy and Cara Gee (Drummer) danced with happiness.
  • The blind cameraman is incurably blind even by space future tech standards but has biomods that let him use pulses from his fingertips to navigate. Just in case anyone else didn't know or didn't remember from the books like me. The writers said they didn't want to do any clunky exposition on it.
  • Wes slamming his face into the ground for the shot of the Roci flooring it at the end was so good the writers wondered if he was okay. (He's apparently well practiced and likes doing his own stunts.)

Please continue to toss highlights from the podcast in this thread since I already listen to too many and can't really add another show-specific one into the mix.

On the blind cameraguy front I think they did a good job getting that across with how he was always holding his hands out in front of him, I'm pretty sure most people can put two and two together on that. And by most I mean like 51-60% since I still don't quite trust the audience in general to pick up on stuff that's left as subtext.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

NowonSA posted:

On the blind cameraguy front I think they did a good job getting that across with how he was always holding his hands out in front of him, I'm pretty sure most people can put two and two together on that. And by most I mean like 51-60% since I still don't quite trust the audience in general to pick up on stuff that's left as subtext.

You could see scars or implants running the length of his fingers too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

logikv9 posted:

martians are extra prideful and cocky and it’ll ruin them

Wrong, Mars supremacy

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If the hat wasn't taken to Venus how would the proto-molecule even know about the hat?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

counterfeitsaint posted:

The Navoo was accelerating at some insane rate when she was trying to crash into Eros and stayed intact. Besides, all she needs to do is accelerate higher than 0.5G and her belter crew is probably bleeding out of their eyes.

belters do have access to acceleration drugs like everyone else

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

StashAugustine posted:

belters do have access to acceleration drugs like everyone else

Most can't afford the good stuff, though, and they're still more fragile than Inners on the same juice.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Oh for fucks sake, I'm rewatching S1 and who do I happen to notice on Tycho:

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

etalian posted:

If the hat wasn't taken to Venus how would the proto-molecule even know about the hat?

Miller's brain?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

BlackJosh posted:

Miller's brain?

yeah, it picked his brain apart at a molecular level, it knows everything he knew.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

etalian posted:

They pull things from Miller's memory, so they probably pulled out the hat too.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

TimWinter posted:

Oh neat, is it the same actress? I imagine she's playing a different character there, because I remember reading stuff about "casting Melba" between seasons 2 and 3. That'd be bad rear end if they planted her back in S1, though. :monocle:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TimWinter posted:

Who? Because that isn't Melba.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TimWinter posted:

Who is that supposed to be?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Fromage posted:

Who is that supposed to be?

That's the chick from the thing who merked the old man

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
has it been confirmed that amos is bisexual? because drat that's my headcanon and would make me so happy. more lgbt representation would pretty much perfect this show for me

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TimWinter posted:

Nope, that's not Nadine Nicole. That's Alli Chung.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Sure looks like Melba to me

Edit: TIL I'm face blind.

TimWinter fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 3, 2018

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

TimWinter posted:

Not the same actress https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4148579/?ref_=tt_cl_t15

Really minor character that has a bit of a part in book 3 that's seemingly been cut entirely

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah this is a large part of what I mean when I keep saying "the Behemoth was not built to be a warship." Military ships and weapons have very exacting and unique engineering standards, and just trying to weld a capital railgun onto the drum of a colony ship is usually going to end with the welds snapping after a few shots, if it even gets that many and you're lucky enough to have it just break the gun rather than try and snap off a chunk of hull with it. And that's if you can even fire it in the first place, what with the challenges of trying to power said railgun.

Shoulda just made it a super missile boat like those capital ships the soviets had.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wow an actual All Look Same moment in the wild, always thought that was just a dumb joke.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Grand Fromage posted:

Wow an actual All Look Same moment in the wild, always thought that was just a dumb joke.

It's like my mom is posting in this thread

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

With every episode they don't feature Bobbi I just get more harder and torqued up at this point when she's back on screen I am just straight up gonna nut

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I had forgotten they had Sam in season one though, before they combined her with Drummer.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grand Fromage posted:

A lot (I mean, a looooooot. It's very common among all people) of people really just can't tell faces apart. Unless they're pairing it with race talk it might just be an accident. Without having the other picture to compare it to and being told it was the same actor, I believed it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Grand Fromage posted:

I had forgotten they had Sam in season one though, before they combined her with Drummer.

This whole next arc of ring stuff is going to be so full of characters who have been removed or combined with others, at least compared to what's been done so far. I'm sure they've worked out how to make the plot run without them, but I liked them in the books and I'll miss them here.

It makes sense though, you only have room to fill out so many characters in so much time on T.V., and even the big hit book adaptations like Game of Thrones cut out huge, HUGE swaths of characters along the way.