Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jordan7hm posted:

He ranked Laine over Matthews. Doesn't mean he still would. Similarly, Puljujarvi now vs two years ago.

Which is why I said it’s based on his own evaluations just before they were drafted.

He does say he’s hesitant to put Laine over Matthews now, but that it’s close.

e: My understanding of why he does this is to get a sense of where in the last five years the current crop of top-end draft picks rank in the grand scheme of things. Like, how does this year stack up against Hischier/Patrick? Or McDavid/Eichel?

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I know folks get sick of concussion chat but 3 years since leaving the league Johan Franzen is still struggling mightily and is currently at a special institute in Denver that treats brain trauma in athletes and veterans.
His wife posted about it on her blog a few days back:
https://franzenresidence.com/2018/05/27/an-emotional-week/

A reminder that the NHL still denies any link to CTE from hockey

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Twin Cinema posted:

e: My understanding of why he does this is to get a sense of where in the last five years the current crop of top-end draft picks rank in the grand scheme of things. Like, how does this year stack up against Hischier/Patrick? Or McDavid/Eichel?

he said that he considers this year similar to 2014, although dahlin is better than ekblad

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

Laine is what people accused Ovechkin of being. He’s not a strong player at all along the boards or 5v5, and defensively he’s almost a liability. Don’t get me wrong I love him and he’s only 20 so I’m sure his game will round out but I’m really worried about giving him 10m a year contract cause that could be crippling if he doesn’t add some more elements to his game

A big factor for Pronman in that initial ranking was Laine’s age relative to Matthews/the draft class, and I think it’s still a consideration today. Laine’s got lots of time ahead of him to mature even compared to his peers, and the stuff he’s already good at is the hardest stuff to develop.

Obviously there’s some projection in there, as some guys never quite put it all together, and Pronman’s reacting a bit to being burned by age factors in the past, but the thinking is sound.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Pronman also tends to grade defensemen lower than forwards due to increased uncertainty in their development. The fact that he has Dahlin as high as he does in this list surprises me a little, but in a good way

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ian Clark may not be leaving the Jackets after all, but he'll be an advisor of some sort and not goalie coach if he stays.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1002574365161123840

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone's going to joke it's for crimes against hockey but let me remind you this happened in Buffalo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Boy, the Sens are just a joke of an organization.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/travisyost/status/1002618986700275712

Yost isn't a reporter but he's well connected with the Ottawa Senators IIRC so this is likely legit.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Whelp that's loving weird, and disgusting.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
If Randy Lee being a horny creep to a 19 year old bus driver is the reason his incompetent rear end finally gets fired as AGM then I’ll take it. Guy has no idea how to run a farm team.

However, him being in charge of player development and being around all these young players in a position of power for so long has worrying implications

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

All these old, straight, white executives keep getting into bad touch trouble. If only there were some other groups they could draw talent from. Too bad there isn't a single other type of person that can competently run a business. Too bad.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

However, him being in charge of player development and being around all these young players in a position of power for so long has worrying implications

Yeah...hoping this is a relatively isolated thing and not the tip of the iceberg, but it doesn't seem realistic given the severity of the alleged incident

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Looks like the tweet was deleted. What happened?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Looks like the tweet was deleted. What happened?

"Some hotel personnel were told about the incident that Lee was rubbing the shoulders of the 19-year old driver, w/ lewd comments being made. The driver may have believed that Lee began masturbating in the back of the vehicle and reported it, culminating in the investigation."

that was the tweet. guessing it got deleted because of the masturbation

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Philadelphia Flyers Have Always Sucked

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

hifi posted:

"Some hotel personnel were told about the incident that Lee was rubbing the shoulders of the 19-year old driver, w/ lewd comments being made. The driver may have believed that Lee began masturbating in the back of the vehicle and reported it, culminating in the investigation."

that was the tweet. guessing it got deleted because of the masturbation

But did he cum

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

mennoknight posted:

But did he cum

Jesus christ man, there's some things you just don't talk about in public

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Oilers resigned a 25 year old AHL defenceman to two year deal worth $650k even though he had only 14pts in 52 games with the Condors last year. He is a #5 in the AHL but somehow got two games in the NHL last year. Why? He is Kevin Lowe's son Keegan Lowe. I love the Oilers.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
It's a two-way deal.

He was a +14 on a team where the next best was +3 and most of the team were minus players. Was he really just incredibly sheltered on the third pair, or is he actually a serviceable AHL player?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

It's a two-way deal.

He was a +14 on a team where the next best was +3 and most of the team were minus players. Was he really just incredibly sheltered on the third pair, or is he actually a serviceable AHL player?

He's a low quality AHL defender. His possession stats say a low 2nd or high 3rd pairing guy. Given that he's 25 and produces no offence, he shouldn't be taking an NHL contract slot. In the AHL you want either promising youngsters or high quality vets on NHL deals. Lowe is neither. Had his name been Keegan Smith, he'd have walked this summer. It's cronyism at its worst and the same problem that has plagued the Oilers for a decade. They're not learning and that's fantastic.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Had his name been Keegan Smith, he'd have walked this summer.
Unless he was Steve Smith's kid

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Is there even a single member of the 1980s oilers who does not a) have a job with the oilers and/or b) not suck poo poo at it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ThinkTank posted:

He's a low quality AHL defender. His possession stats say a low 2nd or high 3rd pairing guy. Given that he's 25 and produces no offence, he shouldn't be taking an NHL contract slot. In the AHL you want either promising youngsters or high quality vets on NHL deals. Lowe is neither. Had his name been Keegan Smith, he'd have walked this summer. It's cronyism at its worst and the same problem that has plagued the Oilers for a decade. They're not learning and that's fantastic.

Is there a limit to how many 2-way contracts you can have? Like, does letting him dream actively hurt the team by forcing someone else to stay down?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Is there a limit to how many 2-way contracts you can have? Like, does letting him dream actively hurt the team by forcing someone else to stay down?

Pretty sure 2-way deals count towards a team’s 50 SPC limit, whereas AHL-only deals don’t, so short answer is yes.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

You can only have 50 players on NHL contracts and most teams get pretty close to that each year. That's why you see random guys get thrown into trades to balance contract slots. Having a spare contract slot or two is always a good idea as you can take on an extra guy in a trade. He's never going to be an NHL defender and he actively blocks prospects by taking up a spot on the farm team without markedly improving them. His 18 minutes a night should be given to some 21 year old, but instead everyone gets bumped down a spot to accommodate his failed dreams because his dad doesn't want his useless son bumming around at home.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's also why sometimes guys who get waived get traded a few days later and everyone asks "Why didn't they just claim him?"

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

ThinkTank posted:

Lowe is neither. Had his name been Keegan Smith, he'd have walked this summer. It's cronyism at its worst and the same problem that has plagued the Oilers for a decade. They're not learning and that's fantastic.

Copper n Blue has a pretty good scouting report on him:

quote:

Scouting Report
Kevin Lowe’s son.

Last Season
Was still Kevin Lowe’s son.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

checksin posted:

Is there even a single member of the 1980s oilers who does not a) have a job with the oilers and/or b) not suck poo poo at it

I'm lazy as poo poo to look this up but did Gretzky really do any front office poo poo with them? He sucked as a coach in Arizona but otherwise...?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

checksin posted:

Fuhr?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Levitate posted:

I'm lazy as poo poo to look this up but did Gretzky really do any front office poo poo with them? He sucked as a coach in Arizona but otherwise...?

He's a partner in the Oilers parent company.

E: Yeah Fuhr's been a goalie coach for a few different teams but never any front office stuff and I don't think he ever was in Edmonton.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Koopa Kid posted:

Pretty sure 2-way deals count towards a team’s 50 SPC limit, whereas AHL-only deals don’t, so short answer is yes.

ThinkTank posted:

You can only have 50 players on NHL contracts and most teams get pretty close to that each year. That's why you see random guys get thrown into trades to balance contract slots. Having a spare contract slot or two is always a good idea as you can take on an extra guy in a trade. He's never going to be an NHL defender and he actively blocks prospects by taking up a spot on the farm team without markedly improving them. His 18 minutes a night should be given to some 21 year old, but instead everyone gets bumped down a spot to accommodate his failed dreams because his dad doesn't want his useless son bumming around at home.

Oh, ok.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

ThinkTank posted:

Where do you find AHL possession stats?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

The oilers made a bunch of moves to try and have their prospects play more at the ahl level. It's why Woodcroft got the job and Fleming was sent packing.

Signing Keegan Lowe doesn't help this,, but the AHL D has Bear/Jones/Lagesson/Mantha on it and there isn't really any other defensive prospect of note to stick down there. So it'll be Gryba/Lowe/Stanton to fill the other three slots and be recalls (and possibly be the 7th drat in the friggin oilers). Hopefully the ahl depth chart changes from last 2 seasons when Fleming gave garbage minutes to anyone under 22 but we won't know until they play.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

checksin posted:

dr. randy gregg

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Vegas' performance in the final is really starting to upset me

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

FBS posted:

Vegas' performance in the final is really starting to upset me

the entire team regressed at the same time, pretty crazy imo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012