Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if this season will end with the introduction of the Big 3? Like, the last shot of the season being the three of them walking into class.
I didn't realize how bad I wanted this until just now, but it would be so very, very cruel to the anime only watchers to give then an entire year to wonder who Vault Boy is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

PMush Perfect posted:

I didn't realize how bad I wanted this until just now, but it would be so very, very cruel to the anime only watchers to give then an entire year to wonder who Vault Boy is.

A whole year of speculation on who Not-Sasuke is based entirely on his character design. :allears:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Rhonne posted:

A whole year of speculation on who Not-Sasuke is based entirely on his character design. :allears:

That coupled with the traitor subplot :discourse:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mulderman posted:

The biggest gripe a lot of people had was the pacing, which should be fixed. But I would not be opposed if they give the girls something to do as well.
I would be shocked if they didn't add some anime-original stuff that detailed the fight the girls have outside with the Nomus more. They could make an entire episode of that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Arist posted:

The license stuff is between arcs so I doubt it.

Ah, right, I forgot about the licenses.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I thought they introduced Overhaul and his gang as some of the criminals rampaging after All Might's retirement way before the boring Yakuza arc.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I'm looking forward to Yakuza arc just to see more of best boy Kirishima in action.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Zerilan posted:

I'm looking forward to Yakuza arc just to see more of best boy Kirishima in action.

Same. The Overhaul arc had a lot of problems, but it really made Kirishima one of my favorites. Plus his flashback had Ashido break dancing and that's always a plus.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Radish posted:

I thought they introduced Overhaul and his gang as some of the criminals rampaging after All Might's retirement way before the boring Yakuza arc.

To be precise, they were introduced as behaving very differently than the criminal hooligans that were rampaging, almost as if they were some sort of vigilantes observing the chaos (but with an air of menace to them that could also make them seem like they're just more organized).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

EimiYoshikawa posted:

To be precise, they were introduced as behaving very differently than the criminal hooligans that were rampaging, almost as if they were some sort of vigilantes observing the chaos (but with an air of menace to them that could also make them seem like they're just more organized).

Attaching that dude's face to the manhole cover was horrific until it was later revealed that shortly afterwards Overhaul just cured his cavities.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Apropos to nothing, with the nomus and the villain drugs in Vigilantes, I was idly thinking about who in 1A the bad guys might target for abduction and nomu conversion. They're going for hit-and-run victories, so if abducting Bakugo and trying to convert him with arguments didn't work, the next best thing would be just converting an enemy to an ally in a way that horrifies the public. But someone with a really useful quirk like Momo wouldn't work, because it relies on her cleverness.

...and then I remembered that we've got a classmate that:

- Has had virtually no character development
- Has a technically powerful quirk that has no reliance of smarts
- And in fact, conversion to a brainless monster would eliminate his only weakness

R.I.P. Sugarman

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm guessing that a lot of noumus were given helpful supplementary quirks aside from their main combat quirks. for sugar dude, they'd just have to find someone with a normally useless sugar production quirk.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Bobulus posted:

Apropos to nothing, with the nomus and the villain drugs in Vigilantes, I was idly thinking about who in 1A the bad guys might target for abduction and nomu conversion. They're going for hit-and-run victories, so if abducting Bakugo and trying to convert him with arguments didn't work, the next best thing would be just converting an enemy to an ally in a way that horrifies the public. But someone with a really useful quirk like Momo wouldn't work, because it relies on her cleverness.

...and then I remembered that we've got a classmate that:

- Has had virtually no character development
- Has a technically powerful quirk that has no reliance of smarts
- And in fact, conversion to a brainless monster would eliminate his only weakness

R.I.P. Sugarman

but... but.. me makes such good sweets :(

Somehow, I always just assumed that AFO's stealing and bestowing powers were locked up with him in jail, but now that we have a "new" nomu we seem to be left with three options. Either:

1) All the bestowing has already been done.
2) There's actually another way to do it.
3) AFO passed on All For One before he got captured.

I have my money on #3 because the other two actually sound kind of lame.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

but... but.. me makes such good sweets :(

Somehow, I always just assumed that AFO's stealing and bestowing powers were locked up with him in jail, but now that we have a "new" nomu we seem to be left with three options. Either:

1) All the bestowing has already been done.
2) There's actually another way to do it.
3) AFO passed on All For One before he got captured.

I have my money on #3 because the other two actually sound kind of lame.

I guessed 3 a while back but I don’t know how likely it is because the author missed a real loving good opportunity for Shigaraki to do it to Overhaul if it actually happened.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

watching the traitor scene in the anime made me wonder why anyone thought the traitor, if there even is one, was a student in the first place. the scene with present mic is the only time it's mentioned, isn't it? he says that nobody but a teacher could have known enough to leak information

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Manatee Cannon posted:

watching the traitor scene in the anime made me wonder why anyone thought the traitor, if there even is one, was a student in the first place. the scene with present mic is the only time it's mentioned, isn't it? he says that nobody but a teacher could have known enough to leak information

Yeah, it's always struck me as weird that people are looking at students as traitors. Outside of Hagakure, who is invisible and could be retconned to be in any scene they want her to be in, no student would've had the info that lead them to think there was a traitor in the first place.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i don't think All for One itself can actually be passed on, just the quirks it steals, which is why AfO was primarily interested with taking quirks that would be good for shigaraki's development

if he could just pass on the main quirk that would never be an issue

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

while I do think a4o probably can't be passed on, maybe he just doesn't want to

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
It'd be nice if the anime thread wasn't mostly manga readers pretending to not have read the manga and speculating on things.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

A possible solution is that the Doctor has his own Quirk which acts similar to All For One. Something like Quirk Transferring, where he can move Quirks from one individual to another (but not take for himself).

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

TheKingofSprings posted:

I guessed 3 a while back but I don’t know how likely it is because the author missed a real loving good opportunity for Shigaraki to do it to Overhaul if it actually happened.

He could have given it to some trusted intermediary, reasoning that Shigaraki wasn't ready yet, but that does make things kind of complicated.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

GodFish posted:

It'd be nice if the anime thread wasn't mostly manga readers pretending to not have read the manga and speculating on things.

Christ that poo poo is annoying. "Oh, huh, hey wouldn't it be cool if AfO and All Might fought and AfO got arrested but All Might was injured enough that he couldn't be an active hero anymore?"

next episode is released

"Oh wow I TOTALLY guessed that! Hahaha I'm so loving good at watching anime you guys"

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, it's always struck me as weird that people are looking at students as traitors. Outside of Hagakure, who is invisible and could be retconned to be in any scene they want her to be in, no student would've had the info that lead them to think there was a traitor in the first place.

The specific event that triggered the traitor comment from Mic was the raid on the Summer Camp, too. You know, the one the students had no details on until they got dumped off a bus into the woods and the villians seemed to have prepared and planned for ahead of time.

I don't know, it seems super wacky to me that they live in a world with absolutely ridiculous powers and the strongest theory is that there's a traitor rather than someone who can, I don't know, read minds or see the future or some poo poo.

Oh wait we were even shown a character that could literally see the future, though he was a good guy.

There are a lot of reasons I think the traitor thing never comes up again, basically. Even if explaining it some other way seems retcon-y or lazy, I just think a traitor would be off-tone for the series and could wind up being equally dumb.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GodFish posted:

I'm genuinely scared of accidentally becoming that so I forbade myself from posting in the anime thread. I read it, and I enjoy some posts in it, but I refuse to post in it. Let the anime watchers enjoy the anime with no bullshit from people that already know what will happen.

That's what a hero would do.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's totally possible to engage in discussion of the broader concepts of the series with the anime-only folks as those discussions come up, but anyone fake-speculating is pretty terrible.

Generally better to not post there, I've backed off of it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Shere posted:

The specific event that triggered the traitor comment from Mic was the raid on the Summer Camp, too. You know, the one the students had no details on until they got dumped off a bus into the woods and the villians seemed to have prepared and planned for ahead of time.

I don't know, it seems super wacky to me that they live in a world with absolutely ridiculous powers and the strongest theory is that there's a traitor rather than someone who can, I don't know, read minds or see the future or some poo poo.

Oh wait we were even shown a character that could literally see the future, though he was a good guy.

There are a lot of reasons I think the traitor thing never comes up again, basically. Even if explaining it some other way seems retcon-y or lazy, I just think a traitor would be off-tone for the series and could wind up being equally dumb.

Didn't Nighteye's quirk require direct interaction with the person whose future he was seeing, though? Like, I get what you're going for, but basically every quirk, even overpowered ones, have needed some sort of interaction by the user to work. Shinso can make people do what he wants, but needs the other person to trigger it in a specific way. Toga can transform into anybody, but still needs to ingest their blood before doing so. I think even Twice needs to see the person he's cloning to do it, and has no control over the clone afterwards.

It being someone's quirk to be able to get the info that they shouldn't, or communicate in a secretive or unknown way or something, is absolutely possible. But it probably still has to be someone working from close enough that people wouldn't notice them in some way.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Yeah but even in the Nighteye example, there was a point where he basically just bumped into one of the Yakuza underlings on the street, surreptitiously getting the location of the hideout from his immediate future.

There are just so many possibilities at play that honestly a straight-up traitor seems boring.

edit: hell there might be black market information brokers with quirks specialized in data collection or something.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 4, 2018

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Shere posted:

It's totally possible to engage in discussion of the broader concepts of the series with the anime-only folks as those discussions come up, but anyone fake-speculating is pretty terrible.

Generally better to not post there, I've backed off of it.

You’re right. I’ve posted in there about scenes I liked or things I forgot but probably better to just stay away because it’s more fun for people to see this without being spoiled beforehand.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

La Brava showed that UA's cyber security isn't as strong as they might believe. It's possible someone just hacked them.

I would love it if Gentle and La Brava ended up working at UA as a form of community service and end up uncovering the traitor plot by accident.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm trying to imagine a set of circumstances that would make "traitor" more likely than "specialized information-gathering quirk" and I can't.

The other thing is that the League of Villains just doesn't really have a lot to offer that would motivate the best and brightest of good society to join them. We've already seen them try to recruit a hero and we know they suck at it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm trying to imagine a set of circumstances that would make "traitor" more likely than "specialized information-gathering quirk" and I can't.

The other thing is that the League of Villains just doesn't really have a lot to offer that would motivate the best and brightest of good society to join them. We've already seen them try to recruit a hero and we know they suck at it.

I think the anime mentioned that All for One was the one who go the info on the camp's location and he's probably a lot more persuasive that than anyone from the League.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
U.A. also has a supposedly impregnable wall that is immediately breached by a certain villain putting his hands on it like a kid getting too close to the tiger exhibit at the zoo

hero society itself might have the odds pretty well stacked in its favor, but U.A.'s security kinda sucks

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Oxxidation posted:

U.A. also has a supposedly impregnable wall that is immediately breached by a certain villain putting his hands on it like a kid getting too close to the tiger exhibit at the zoo

hero society itself might have the odds pretty well stacked in its favor, but U.A.'s security kinda sucks

I mean it's kinda difficult to have effective security against a guy who can destroy literally anything by touching it, who is teamed up with a guy who can teleport anywhere.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Goddamn AfO theme on the anime is called, "You Can't Run".

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GodFish posted:

This happens every time there's an anime based on a manga. That kind of thing should get you banned because it's not only way too common, it's really, really obvious too; when people were doing it for things I hadn't seen the original work for (like the OPM manga when I haven't read the web comic), I could immediately tell who was pulling that, which affected the impact of certain surprises, because they weren't now.

Shadowlyger posted:

I mean it's kinda difficult to have effective security against a guy who can destroy literally anything by touching it, who is teamed up with a guy who can teleport anywhere.

Yeah, for all UA's fuckups, not having Shigaraki-proof walls can't really be held against them. Guy's power is just death if it goes off without something like Aizawa interfering (or when Shiggy himself amputated Overhaul's arm to gently caress with him). He'd be loving terrifying if AFO gave him something like genuine superspeed or teleportation or whatever to overcome the range issue.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 4, 2018

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

ChaseSP posted:

Goddamn AfO theme on the anime is called, "You Can't Run".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PP-X90IJUc (x-posted from the other thread)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The traitor thing has to be resolved somehow. There's too much talk about it around the lodge attack and rescue arc to just throw it away. I'm just betting it's literally who.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fabricated posted:

The traitor thing has to be resolved somehow. There's too much talk about it around the lodge attack and rescue arc to just throw it away. I'm just betting it's literally who.

"We have found out the identity of the traitor...2-E art theory and criticism teacher Fish Tail."

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

blub. and i would have gotten away with it too, if it wasnt for you meddling kids and your mangy dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

symbolic posted:

"We have found out the identity of the traitor...2-E art theory and criticism teacher Fish Tail."
If it's not someone like that or Brad King or Ectoplasm or whatever I'll be shocked. Or some no-name student from Class 1-B.