Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Well, that's just swell (passionate is disfavored by Berath)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The paladin ability Aegis of Loyalty is essential for fampyric encounters tbqh

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Basic Chunnel posted:

The paladin ability Aegis of Loyalty is essential for fampyric encounters tbqh
It's basically a requirement. I mean, God.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Getting my rear end whooped in POTD, first island. (1.1 Beta)

So if it's not the thugs in the waterlogged alley kicking my rear end, it's the drake in the ruins/quarry that completely annihilates my party.

I'm not sure what to do. There's little to improve in terms of consumables... I know people were complaining about the game being too easy, but this is a little too hard.

Any advice? Level 3, not sure how to level up more.

I have a Shepherd as my MC, Ranger/Pally. Probably not the most useful, any advice?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Probably wanna nab an adventurer or two.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

CrusherEAGLE posted:

So if it's not the thugs in the waterlogged alley kicking my rear end, it's the drake in the ruins/quarry that completely annihilates my party.

I'm not sure what to do. There's little to improve in terms of consumables... I know people were complaining about the game being too easy, but this is a little too hard.

I have a Shepherd as my MC, Ranger/Pally. Probably not the most useful, any advice?

Shepherd is probably the tankiest gunslinger. Use double pistols + FoD or Wounding shot on cooldown. Don't forget to mark the big targets and position your pet for flanking. Have Xoti use 2nd level iconic or the smash, 1st lvl blessed harvest. Have Eder hold the line at the chokepoint.

Beyond that, empower liberally in that fight, and start it rested + food + drugs. If you still wipe, head back to town and recruit an adventurer or two.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Wait so Eder (beginning spoilers) can unceremoniously die in the tutorial fight? I got all the way to the port and Adra dig site before I looked this up, I was wondering why he hadn't turned up

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

For a special character, he wasn't having a very special day.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Scout enemies that patrol slightly away from the big groups and sit right on the edge of their vision when they're furthest away. When they get alerted(ie when your stealth eye thing first flicks into red) quickly move back without getting your stealth fully popped and they'll follow along a way to check things out. When they stop again, pop out of stealth right on the edge of their vision and they'll run after you either by themselves or with few enough dudes that the fights are now manageable.

Rest before the(now thinned out) drake fight for food buffs and to make sure the panthers aren't getting their night bonus, then shoot the exploding barrel from the bottom of the arena; whatever's left will run over, get badly hurt in the explosion and you can hide behind the crates and junk to stop your party being surrounded. Use your empowers to replenish Xoti's heals if you run out etc.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

NLJP posted:

Wait so Eder (beginning spoilers) can unceremoniously die in the tutorial fight? I got all the way to the port and Adra dig site before I looked this up, I was wondering why he hadn't turned up

You sound like a bad, "watcher".

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Scout enemies that patrol slightly away from the big groups and sit right on the edge of their vision when they're furthest away. When they get alerted(ie when your stealth eye thing first flicks into red) quickly move back without getting your stealth fully popped and they'll follow along a way to check things out. When they stop again, pop out of stealth right on the edge of their vision and they'll run after you either by themselves or with few enough dudes that the fights are now manageable.

Rest before the(now thinned out) drake fight for food buffs and to make sure the panthers aren't getting their night bonus, then shoot the exploding barrel from the bottom of the arena; whatever's left will run over, get badly hurt in the explosion and you can hide behind the crates and junk to stop your party being surrounded. Use your empowers to replenish Xoti's heals if you run out etc.

Amazing advice. Thanks for this.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Tenzarin posted:

You sound like a bad, "watcher".

I shot a companion in the prologue just to watch him die.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Devoted/Soul Blade seems like a potentially great combo but I'm afraid of picking a proficiency that's not going to work out (I was thinking rapier or saber) and of loving myself over by multiclassing (how vital is brutal backlash? in 1 you could basically tear apart barbs and drakes with it so I assume it's been nerfed to what the tooltip says rather than an infinited source of damage on anything with a fear aura?)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Devoted Greatsword pussy

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

frajaq posted:

Devoted Greatsword pussy

But the one handed accuracy bonus

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

obviously you should go devoted pollaxe and devote yourself to the unique cleaving one that also has friendly fire

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

obviously you should go devoted pollaxe and devote yourself to the unique cleaving one that also has friendly fire

Both the unique and the soulbound poleaxes are friend and foe right now, although I think Lord Darryn's is bugged at the moment. Poleaxes don't give a gently caress. Serafen is disorienting the entire screen with that Voulge right now.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Octo1 posted:

Well, that's just swell (passionate is disfavored by Berath)

They really got too into dispositions in this one. Saying poo poo like “Keep the fish we got” is coded as a particularly rational act for some reason, anything you say to the gods at all is coded as some disposition, and so on.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

For the people asking about wizard multiclasses, monk/wizard looks rock solid and probably one of the best combos to use with Citzal's Spirit Lance. Duality of Mortal Presence can boost your intellect into the sky, which gives a massive aoe on the lance's blast. When you use stunning blows, you stun everything inside the aoe for a really long time because of your intellect. Because you're hitting a bunch of enemies at once, you have a good chance to crit one of them, refunding the cost of stunning blow. Often, because of merciless gaze, you'll crit more than one and get more mortification out of stunning blow than you used to cast it.

While swift flurry can no longer proc itself, people seem to say that heartbeat drumming can still proc off of swift flurry and vice versa, so at very high levels you should be able to see some impressive chain attacks.

I read a decent argument on the main forums that monk/wizard is also potentially the most durable character in the game, mainly because of the ability to choose between a giant fortitude or will boost as needed coupled with the wizard's self buffs.

A nalpazca sage with dance of death should be more or less invincible while remaining highly competent in melee and capable of dropping giant AoE / extremely long duration debuffs or damage spells as needed.

AngryBooch posted:

Both the unique and the soulbound poleaxes are friend and foe right now, although I think Lord Darryn's is bugged at the moment. Poleaxes don't give a gently caress. Serafen is disorienting the entire screen with that Voulge right now.

The voulge's AoE effect is bugged, at least if not bound to a barbarian, in that it does nothing if you're not on the patch beta and it has friendly fire if you are. If you're on the beta, it's super easy to fix by yourself, though. I keep screwing around and not really properly playing a character to test it, but on paper that thing is really strong. It deals 10 extra shock damage in a huge AoE on every hit, as long as you can crit reliably enough to explode the charges. If bound to a barbarian, those explosions also apply a strong debuff on basically everything. If bound to a druid, it boosts the power level of storm spells (i.e. your best spells) by 3, which I'm fairly sure is the highest power level boost remaining in the game. It might be a lot of fun on a pure fighter, too, for the ability to hit a whole ton of enemies at once with clear out, thus proccing a whole ton of aoe static explosions at once.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Heithinn Grasida posted:

A nalpazca sage ... should be more or less invincible

Aloth tested, Zahua approved

More sage chicanery: minor blights fireballs scale in duration and aoe with int, and I THINK they work with the monk lashes and HBD. Just hadoken kite the poo poo out of encounters and run away with your + 40 stride or whatever

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I've been playing through New PotD with a Transcendent (Helwalker/Soul Blade). 2H build, because with the AoE weapons, Soul Annihilation hits everything in the AoE, which is amazing. Arkemyr's golems are no match for this amount of raw. And with both Might and Int scaling with Wounds, her AoEs are very large.

Helwalker is not something I would really recommend on this setting though. They really get horribly wrecked. I ended up beelining to Crookspur for the stealable legendary plate. Without that bit of metagame knowledge from my first run, I might have given up on my highly squishy murderbeast.

But now she is the destroyer of worlds, and no nerf yet has been enough to stop her, even with a mod that uncaps level scaling.

(Pallegina providing absurd amounts of heals as a Herald helps too.)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Helwalker might be the only class I would recommend dropping might below 10 to increase con to max. They would get it back from wounds. They will be squishy until you get your stances and the iron wheel upgrade for it. You will need athletics for second wind to heal like 200 hp and at the start of the fight when they get hit in the alphastrike'd to max wounds. And it also gives you +10 con, so you pop second wind right away most likely at 50% hp and they heal to full. Then they are pretty much good for the rest of the fight,

The next trick is spamming movies to stay around 5 wounds.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 5, 2018

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Helwalker might be the only class I would recommend dropping might below 10 to increase con to max. They would get it back from wounds. They will be squishy until you get your stances and the iron wheel upgrade for it. You will need athletics for second wind to heal like 200 hp and at the start of the fight when they get hit in the alphastrike they get max wounds. And it also gives you +10 con, so you pop second wind right away most likely at 50% hp and they heal to full. Then they are pretty much good for the rest of the fight,

The next trick is spamming movies to stay around 5 wounds.

Those are good ideas. I ended up maxing Perception because I didn't plan on using Maia this run. More HP would be better than more accuracy, almost definitely. I took 8 Con and 8 Resolve because I was an arrogant fool. Things are fine now, but that early game was rough.

I ended up picking Alchemy over Athletics, other than a few stray ranks. The buffs to drugs are really great. Tar Chew for example offers large boosts to both damage reduction and weapon damage. These bonuses scale with skill level. I'm pretty sure Alchemy is the MVP skill of New PotD.

I use Torment's Reach a decent amount, but I like to stay at 10 Wounds most of the time for maximum Soul Annihilation poleaxing.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

SunAndSpring posted:

They really got too into dispositions in this one. Saying poo poo like “Keep the fish we got” is coded as a particularly rational act for some reason, anything you say to the gods at all is coded as some disposition, and so on.

I don't mind that but the thresholds for companions to react to are really low, probably because they panicked and didn't want players who were speedrunning through the main quest to miss content

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xalidur posted:

Things are fine now, but that early game was rough.

Take a look at derra's post a few pages ago on stats. Might might end up being the dump stat for some characters. Rogue gets 30% dmg from just flanking targets. You could drop 5 might on a rogue and might not even notice the damage loss.

Swift strikes could be seen as a dmg increase but it would harder to compare it to just a flat dmg increase but you could offset your lower might just hoping to proc more strikes.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 5, 2018

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The friendly fire from the pollaxes kinda sucks because halberds should 100% be more a thing for a golden age of piracy style world than half the weapons list.

On that note Serafen really should start with pollaxe proficiency considering he literally comes with one.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 5, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I thought just the rare poleaxe does friendly fire. It doesn't seem like the soulbound poleaxe has friendly fire. I kinda wouldn't know too much though because I have been giving it to my druids for the +3 storm power levels and that it cant be upgraded to legendary.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

The soulbound pollaxe definitely has friendly fire in the patch beta. I think it's very unlikely that's intended, though, because it goes against the item's description and the AoE is so large it would be nearly impossible to avoid hitting your team with it. You just need to change one word in the game's files to fix it, though.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 5, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

StringOfLetters posted:

It synergizes the other way, too. A Wizard with a Shield can confidently walk up to the front lines, turn on the fighter's Tactical Barrage for +accuracy and +pl, and then use those oft-ignored touch/cone-shaped wizard spells to blow some things up. It's like a tank, in the sense that it's a durable, mobile party member with several explosive rounds loaded.

The conjurable weapons are all pretty great, but they're nothing a Fighter with a top-tier enchanted weapon couldn't equal. Good for stretching spell slots out over long fights - but a multiclassed Wizard can do so many more things with spells, summoning a weapon and auto-attacking with it as an opener is under-utilizing a fighter/wizard.

drat, that's making a good case for battlemage Aloth, for sure. I like the idea of having him wade into the fight and let loose with close-range nukes.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I'm not usually one to argue against player choice but the idea that Aloth can be a tank seems just wrong. Dude's a nerd. Nerds belong on the back line.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Every class can be a tank though. Wizards even more so with all their defensive spells.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I shelved the game right after release to finish up another PoE1 run with all the flags I wanted to set, which I'm like one quest (White March 2 ending) away from finishing.

I'm on the beta branch of PoE2. Is there anything I need to know in the last 2000 posts or whatever since I last played?

Also if you import a character but then change their race/class/appearance, why doesn't anyone even remark on it? Like it makes sense that the Watcher can come back in whatever body they drat well want to, I guess, but nobody ever... mentions it...?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Digital Osmosis posted:

I'm not usually one to argue against player choice but the idea that Aloth can be a tank seems just wrong. Dude's a nerd. Nerds belong on the back line.

Aloth's punchability makes a good case for battlemage on its own

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

OK i looked at it and sacred immolation has been changed in the beta patch, the raw damage is automatic now. It's not the end of the world though, there's lots of sources of healing around and it pairs well with heal on kill effects if you wait to use it when you know you'll finish off some folks. I just used it twice in a high-ish level battle and didn't come close to dying.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If you're playing a Shattered Pillar monk then you already have permanent Swiftness from Lightning Strikes and permanent Might from Thunderous Blows so I can't imagine losing infiniwounds is a big nerf. I say this having played one in my first playthrough and being a cipher-multiclass which was probably a net-nerf even with the fun of Soul Annihilation.
I won't deny that seeing my monk just flip out with Torment's Reach four times in a row wasn't hilarious though.

Disposition thresholds are definitely too low, yeah.

Me: *does two Shifty actions across like the whole game*
Maia: "I can't trust you watcher, you're just too untrustworthy!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ratios and Tendency posted:

OK i looked at it and sacred immolation has been changed in the beta patch, the raw damage is automatic now. It's not the end of the world though, there's lots of sources of healing around and it pairs well with heal on kill effects if you wait to use it when you know you'll finish off some folks. I just used it twice in a high-ish level battle and didn't come close to dying.

I'm not surprised because in PoE1 Inspiring Triumph + Sacred Immolation + The Grey Sleeper on my PC pretty much trivialized every fight. I eventually stopped even bothering with my per-encounter Fireballs.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

What do you guys think, nalpazca or helwalker for a druid/monk using the soulbound pollaxe? I started with a fighter, dropped it because they lost their ability to spread around on hit effects until very high levels, tried a trickster, but trickster is just miserably bad, especially early, then realized monk is by far the best class to support both the martial and caster aspects of a druid with the pollaxe.

Helwalker's moonwells and relentless storms would be more powerful than what a single class druid could cast, but is terribly squishy. Also it's the extra might is partially evened out by how much you have to invest in constitution to stay alive. Nalpazca gets all the benefits from drugs, but lacks the synergy of huge might coupled with loads of damage and healing spells. Also, managing drugs is annoying. What say?

Also, regarding trickster, what if it had a chance to gain guile when an enemy targets deflection and misses? If necessary, rogue abilities, or a certain set of them, could be made more expensive. That, along with a fast cast time on dazzling lights and switching its place with mirrored image, would make the class a lot more versatile and interesting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Trickster feels like a class that is supposed to have a lot of things they can do out of combat but they forgot to put those things in the game (unless they are in the game, I don't know)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

precision posted:

Trickster feels like a class that is supposed to have a lot of things they can do out of combat but they forgot to put those things in the game (unless they are in the game, I don't know)

Tricks, with cards/coins e.g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Is there any way to keep Maia if you side with the Huana?