Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Given their effectiveness so far? I presume if someone used a break decal in a populated area, the result would either be the person getting talked down and hugging it out with friends, or some plucky newcommer or ace pilot murdering them easily. If your point is that they'd stomp on the unprepared people, then I gotta point out that you don't really need a break decal to step on folks, nor does there appear to be any penalty for pilot death that we know of, if that is even possible when not in a mech.

Even if it did matter, that is pretty shitt from a narritive perspective. Yay! One day, about halfway through the show's runtime, the show's main antagonist may do something on a scale slightly more threatening than vaguely annoying some newbie players. I sure am glad we got all this setup with them as laughable monsters of the week who don't accomplish anything of note.

There are ways to write break decals as being an actual threat. Have them actually damage or destroy a mech on the protagonist's side (there are five of them for crying out loud). Show damage to bystanders. Have them deal any sort of lasting environmental damage, or glitch out a quest to the point it becomes unwinnable. Hell, have them break game logic to force pvp in pve only areas, like the fatass tried did in the first area with his trick. Literally anything would be better than 'Oh, he's so powerful all of a sudden', followed by a near effortless victory'

It's like they want to do this with the stormclouds and tornadoes but then they chicken out and it all goes away. I think an interesting way to take it would be that any player who has their mech or avatar destroyed by a break decal user is corrupted and essentially "killed," which would up the stakes pretty steeply and also give the high level players some incentive to band together against the mob of super player killers. If you can even damage avatars; that hasn't been made clear here.

And I'd be completely fine if we don't see the tubby unicorn fuckboy again for the rest of the show because he's an unpleasant character. Scammer shitbag who tricks a couple of newbies into PvP and then cheats with a break decal in his next encounter with them. :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Midjack posted:

It's like they want to do this with the stormclouds and tornadoes but then they chicken out and it all goes away. I think an interesting way to take it would be that any player who has their mech or avatar destroyed by a break decal user is corrupted and essentially "killed," which would up the stakes pretty steeply and also give the high level players some incentive to band together against the mob of super player killers. If you can even damage avatars; that hasn't been made clear here.

And I'd be completely fine if we don't see the tubby unicorn fuckboy again for the rest of the show because he's an unpleasant character. Scammer shitbag who tricks a couple of newbies into PvP and then cheats with a break decal in his next encounter with them. :fuckoff:

Yeah, that is a pretty good take on it as well. Lasting consequences is what break decals need. Tbh, even having it so that a unit that is destroyed while using a break decal is corrupted would be a good angle. It would have made their attempts to talk people down have a tad more weight to them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That was pretty drat good. Answered most of the questions raised, and it's pushing forward to a conclusion.

And to no-one's surprise, the RX-0 does indeed pull a pretty sickass-looking Star Winning Gundam transformation with its bird.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gyoubu does the Force logos too!

https://twitter.com/ippeigyoubu/status/1003931693902848001

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Universe! :allears:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Patrick, powerful enough to be sent an invite by the Champ, and Schwarz Bruder is in the Iron Maskz force! :allears:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Iron Mask being there makes me wonder would Glemy be classified as a Char. He had no mask, but the Puru squad, red(ish) custom mobile suit, blonde hair and hidden agenda mean he could qualify as one depending on how stringent you want to be. Plus, there's the rumor he was originally written in to be one of the final villains as a literal replacement for Char once Char's Counterattack got the go-ahead.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

Iron Mask being there makes me wonder would Glemy be classified as a Char. He had no mask,

question asked and answered

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So McGillis isn't a Char either then? And yes, I'm aware he wore one for two episodes during Dort; but he was already being referred to as A Char before that point and it's not a defining part of his character.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Pretty sure I saw someone cosplaying Zanald. Who isn’t a Char, but does have a mask.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The Iron Maskz accept all who wear masks.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

So McGillis isn't a Char either then? And yes, I'm aware he wore [a mask]

question asked and answered

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So if Glemy wore a mask on screen for exactly one frame he'd be a Char?

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

tsob posted:

No. But he would be eligibleto join the masked squad.

Also did Loran wear a mask while he was pretending to be Loura?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

If it was only one frame I'd wonder if it was an animation error, but just to be safe, yeah

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sazabi posted:

No. But he would be eligibleto join the masked squad.

Also did Loran wear a mask while he was pretending to be Loura?

I guess you could count make up as a mask?

Guy Goodbody posted:

If it was only one frame I'd wonder if it was an animation error, but just to be safe, yeah

It's good to know that the presence of a mask is the only important factor in deciding if someone is a Char clone.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Glemy wore the metaphorical mask of pretending to be an earnest young cadet before transforming into a dickhead.

Episode was pretty decent. I'm glad they finally addressed and explained why the game admins weren't just tossing out ban waves to deal with it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Glemy wore the metaphorical mask of pretending to be an earnest young cadet before transforming into a dickhead. Checkmate.

Episode was pretty decent. I'm glad they finally addressed and explained why the game admins weren't just tossing out ban waves to deal with it.

And simultaneously brought in permanent consequences for even temporary Break Decal activations in a cool, subtle way. I love that the track-covering itself irreparably and undetectably scars the system.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Gaining illicit access to a beginners server and engaging in coordinated newb-stomping with no possible escape, assisted by a rogue admin, is going to get all these top players suspended or atleast publicly smeared, isn't it? A devious trap.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SpikeMcclane posted:

Gaining illicit access to a beginners server and engaging in coordinated newb-stomping with no possible escape, assisted by a rogue admin, is going to get all these top players suspended or atleast publicly smeared, isn't it? A devious trap.

TBH, this is not an entirely implausible option. It seems pretty clear that the Mass Divers have a guy on the inside.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

SpikeMcclane posted:

That sounds way to smart for this show. I mean a bad guy pulled a gun on someone in game. Either they are incredibly dumb. Or the only enforced rule in GBN is "never break character".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sazabi posted:

That sounds way to smart for this show. I mean a bad guy pulled a gun on someone in game. Either they are incredibly dumb. Or the only enforced rule in GBN is "never break character".

Person-to-person PVP has been a thing in this show for a long while, and they needed to ‘kill’ him so he couldn’t leak any detailed information as they set up their defences. I’m not quite seeing what was so dumb about that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
"Shooting" that guy dead forcibly logged him out, so he couldn't run around and get any more information about the base. Makes sense to me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

It's good to know that the presence of a mask is the only important factor in deciding if someone is a Char clone.

It's not the only important factor.

It's just the most important factor

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's not the only important factor.

It's just the most important factor

Your post indicated "doesn't have a mask" and "has a mask" as the only parts you thought worth noting. None of the rest even had bearing by your replies. So what would a non-mask guy have to do to qualify that Glemy doesn't out of interest?

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

tsob posted:

Your post indicated "doesn't have a mask" and "has a mask" as the only parts you thought worth noting. None of the rest even had bearing by your replies. So what would a non-mask guy have to do to qualify that Glemy doesn't out of interest?

Are you asking what qualities define a Char clone. Or what a player has to do to get into the exclusive Mask force in GBN? Cause it sounds like someone said something to make you think the two have the same standards.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

If a Gundam character has a mask, it's possible that they aren't Char. I've can't recall that happening, but it's possible that their personality and role within the story would be so wildly different as to make them not a char.

But if a character never wears a mask, not once, then they can't be a char

But while we're on this topic I think that it's worth noting that Build Divers is the first Gundam series to have a female Char.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sazabi posted:

Are you asking what qualities define a Char clone. Or what a player has to do to get into the exclusive Mask force in GBN? Cause it sounds like someone said something to make you think the two have the same standards.

The first, which I'd thought was clear from my initial post but apparently wasn't. No one said anything to make me question that; it was seeing the pic of the various characters in masks (especially Iron Mask, who is often disputed as a Char clone) that made me wonder "would Glemy qualify as a Char clone?"

Guy Goodbody posted:

If a Gundam character has a mask, it's possible that they aren't Char. I've can't recall that happening, but it's possible that their personality and role within the story would be so wildly different as to make them not a char.

Even if they look and act like Char, use a suit that resembles his etc? This is what made me wonder about it in the first place. He shares a lot of similarity with Char, but doesn't have a mask which is often used as the defining feature. Even then though, lots of Chars don't have masks but glasses so the qualification appears to be less "mask" and more "anything that hides a part of your face". Even saying it's the eye covering that's important is insufficient, since Cronicle and Schwarz don't cover their eyes. It's a really vague stipulation, but appears to be held quite rigid despite that vagueness.

Guy Goodbody posted:

But while we're on this topic I think that it's worth noting that Build Divers is the first Gundam series to have a female Char.

Well, Try did have Lady Kawaguchi, but I'd personally say Katejina is a female Char; since she is a blonde haired character who uses a red mobile suit at the end of the show and is heavily defined by her rivalry with the main character but who appears to have her own agenda within the enemy faction. She even shares a somewhat odd relationship with a child of the opposite sex. I realize it's not a heavily supported proposition though, so I wouldn't blink if anyone else disagreed.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 5, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

But if a character never wears a mask, not once, then they can't be a char

Zanald from AGE is a notable mask-wearer who isn’t in any way a Char.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

Well, Try did have Lady Kawaguchi, but I'd personally say Katejina is a female Char; since she is a blonde haired character who uses a red mobile suit at the end of the show and is heavily defined by her rivalry with the main character but who appears to have her own agenda within the enemy faction. She even shares a somewhat odd relationship with a child of the opposite sex. I realize it's not a heavily supported proposition though, so I wouldn't blink if anyone else disagreed.

fair enough, Build Divers is the first show with a female main Char. Rain is technically a Char, but she wasn't G Gundam's main Char, even though she was a bigger character than G Gundam's Char

you're right, it does get complicated

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy Goodbody posted:

fair enough, Build Divers is the first show with a female main Char. Rain is technically a Char, but she wasn't G Gundam's main Char, even though she was a bigger character than G Gundam's Char

you're right, it does get complicated

See, I would say Rain doesn't count since she was just wearing something similar to Schwarz for one or two episodes so she could rile Domon. It doesn't define her character in any way; it's just a thing she did. Counting her as one just appears to be going overly technical for no reason. McGillis is the same. He wore a mask for a specific purpose at Dort, so he could act with relative impunity but the mask wasn't a central part of his design or identity. It was just a reference for the sake of fun. Even Char doesn't see any need for a mask after Zeta. Hell, even in Zeta he discards the Quattro disguise at Dakar and appears to have moved beyond it. So I'd say he himself is a show of one if you really want to get technical, since he has none in Char's Counterattack but is unmistakably still Char. Which is why I'm not sure the mask is really that big of a deal, as far as qualifications go since a lot of Char's traits are shared by other characters and just as important to Char. Graham was seen as the good kind of Char clone in 00 season one for instance, since while he was obviously inspired by Char as a blonde haired rival, that was about all he had in common and he was driven by different motives for different goals. He's definitely a Char by season two, but even in season one people were calling him one despite the lack of a mask.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 5, 2018

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Kanos posted:

"Shooting" that guy dead forcibly logged him out, so he couldn't run around and get any more information about the base. Makes sense to me.

It also tied into their trap. The coalition used the forced logout point as a marker within the base, exactly as the villain wanted them to.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
What is a Char? A maskable pile of secrets.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Jumped back in since it seems like things have finally gotten moving. Still pretty lukewarm about this episode, especially with the admins unable to take action on the Break Decal users. Glad that they did address the fact that you should contact the GM for it, but the idea of "we don't have any proof" is a bit silly.

Fun to see a lot of gunpla in the battle and looking forward to whatever nonsense transformation Ayame has. For some reason SD's becoming HG scale has always been cool.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SpikeMcclane posted:

What is a Char? A maskable pile of secrets.

hah

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zodack posted:

but the idea of "we don't have any proof" is a bit silly.

Nah, having actual evidence of cheating is actually a big deal for stuff like this when it comes to online games. And given how extremely sensitive Japan is about appearances and public opinion, I could totally see the admins hesitating to pull the trigger on ban waves without actual hard evidence to back up the claims of players who were victims of the cheaters. Without that evidence, it boils down to a bunch of cases of "my word against theirs" and I don't think whoever's in charge of GBN's PR and finances want to deal with the fallout of thousands of players protesting that they were "banned unfairly without proof."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They talked Stea down, she had her big emotional moment, she knows her friends care about her, she'll never do it again, but the Champion reported her to try to get her banned anyway?

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

W.T. Fits posted:

Nah, having actual evidence of cheating is actually a big deal for stuff like this when it comes to online games. And given how extremely sensitive Japan is about appearances and public opinion, I could totally see the admins hesitating to pull the trigger on ban waves without actual hard evidence to back up the claims of players who were victims of the cheaters. Without that evidence, it boils down to a bunch of cases of "my word against theirs" and I don't think whoever's in charge of GBN's PR and finances want to deal with the fallout of thousands of players protesting that they were "banned unfairly without proof."

Evidence like all the video footage from the battles? The game master watching a massive battle right now. And at least two former users willing to testify that this poo poo is real? Not to mention dozens of other players having first hand experience or at least being present during an anomaly? The self erasing decals is lazy writing. Not that this is new.
That love Gundam though. 10/10 team Adams Apple.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The side story manga will be Gundam Build Divers Break, featuring Gundam Turning Break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

W.T. Fits posted:

You misunderstand, I totally get the cultural side of things - what is bonkers is the idea that they have no proof inside an MMO. Game logs and admin tools exist in mmos. You don't need an admin spying on you to catch you doing anything, you just extract a game log or recording. They even turn purple and just talk about how they're using illegal break decals. Is there no report abuse function to just summon the GM? Can other players not capture footage? Why can't the GM just look at the game logs from the illicit meeting and determine the exact PC trying to sell decals? "My word against theirs", except you are paying a game in a reality where the GM can control, record, and modify most aspects of it to catch you.

It's all a bit silly and I know I'm supposed to suspend my disbelief but every time an anime gets set in an MMO things like this happen. I had fun this episode.

• Locked thread