Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I like Linus. It's one thing to be dry and analytical for hours and hours and argue about how effective something is, or what can go wrong, he just goes out and does it and it's super often a total trainwreck. And he doesn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Linus rules. He is an unapologetic idiot.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah it's basically a gimmick of "do dumb poo poo with expensive hardware" it's not a serious channel and that's fine.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Cygni posted:

he tries to be fun and computer janitors despise fun

His setup was 5% less than optimal.

Therefore he is terrible and useless and dumb and bad.

Yeah, he sucks hard at enterprise stuff. But then again so do most enterprise people. Good thing most of the content is consumer focused.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Xae posted:

His setup was catastrophic. Could it have been worse? Sure, I guess . 100 drives in Raid 0. Could it have been not-catastrophic? Not with Linus. 5% less optimal would have meant to have a half-an-hour downtime. He went above and beyond the call of duty on that one.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sincx posted:

The moral of the story is that hard drives are horrible horrible things.

I have started looking into what it would take to replace all my storage with SSDs. Alas, it's still too expensive right now.
Yeah. When 8tb traditional drives are at $140 the SSD can't really compete for mass storage.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Xae posted:

Therefore he is terrible and useless and dumb and bad.

Yeah, he sucks hard at enterprise stuff. But then again so do most enterprise people. Good thing most of the content is consumer focused.

His ep on cooling a case with an industrial fan was suboptimal, cooling wise, but I didn't much care because he exploded a PC case using an industrial fan and taped it back together.

Things like that. I would hate not to find that fun.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Yeah, I don't mind his videos about screwing around with tech (which is the whole appeal of his channel), but the literal fire code and OSHA violations in his server room rebuild videos were not that and worthy of mockery.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 7, 2018

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Running a thunderbolt cable through a wall for his networking was boss af. He's fun to watch and see him mess poo poo up and repent and be human about tech (which is very rare).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Fair enough. I only watch the ones with a silly premise.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

he tries to be cringe and computer nerds despise cringe

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

sincx posted:

The moral of the story is that hard drives are horrible horrible things.

I have started looking into what it would take to replace all my storage with SSDs. Alas, it's still too expensive right now.

iirc the raid setup was all ssds

he really put that whole thing together the one and only way that would make catastrophic failure even possible

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m semi local to Linus and he’ll always be linked to the computer store he did videos for, who crushed all other local competition and then went bankrupt abruptly due to being horribly poorly run, leaving myself and many others in the lurch.

Rest in piss, NCIX

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mystes posted:

At least he's not making lots of money by spewing stream-of-consciousness racism to children while playing video games.

That everyone can agree on, at least he's doing something genuinely fresh despite all the cringe.

While video games on YT is: "Hey remember how traditional *game journalism* sucked so hard? Now we are so much, much worse ever imaginable!"

movax
Aug 30, 2008

OK I see some opinions came out; sounds like he’s a giant doofus who has access to cool poo poo and makes money off a YT channel doing silly things with that poo poo. Respect that hustle, I guess.

I was sort of tempted by the 8086K but I agree with the poster that suggested $386 was a perfectly acceptable homage and there was no need to go $486 on us.

I moved recently and found the boxes for my most recent motherboards: Asus P5Q Pro (Core 2 Duo), an eVGA X58 board for a server (PCIe lanes for HBAs), Asus P8P67 Pro (2600K lyfe) and then a Supermicro Skylake Xeon mobo for an ESXi host. No AMD (yet...).

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

movax posted:

OK I see some opinions came out; sounds like he’s a giant doofus who has access to cool poo poo and makes money off a YT channel doing silly things with that poo poo. Respect that hustle, I guess.

I was sort of tempted by the 8086K but I agree with the poster that suggested $386 was a perfectly acceptable homage and there was no need to go $486 on us.

I moved recently and found the boxes for my most recent motherboards: Asus P5Q Pro (Core 2 Duo), an eVGA X58 board for a server (PCIe lanes for HBAs), Asus P8P67 Pro (2600K lyfe) and then a Supermicro Skylake Xeon mobo for an ESXi host. No AMD (yet...).

While the big namers are definitely going to be polite about the 8086K, everyone pretty else regards it as a lame cash grab

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dumb marketing aside, there’s a difference between a “cash grab” and a product that’s just not enticing for the price.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Palladium posted:

While the big namers are definitely going to be polite about the 8086K, everyone pretty else regards it as a lame cash grab

It’s me, I’m the dumb consumer who loves buying gimmicky cool / special edition / collectors edition stuff and rewards their cash grabs. :smith:

mewse
May 2, 2006

I resent that the trouble I've had getting my 8700k to 5ghz may have been because of this binning they're doing

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cygni posted:

Dumb marketing aside, there’s a difference between a “cash grab” and a product that’s just not enticing for the price.
It's the 8700k but they've been grabbing the best samples for months and wrecking people's odds of getting a good 8700k. 8700k is available for around $300 most of the time.

eames
May 9, 2009

mewse posted:

I resent that the trouble I've had getting my 8700k to 5ghz may have been because of this binning they're doing

They're Intel's CPUs and they can do whatever they want with their products, but I can understand why 8700K owners that paid retail price and lost the silicon lottery might be a bit annoyed that the best bins were silently held back and Intel is giving good amount of them away for free.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Combat Pretzel posted:

Maybe I'm not seeing it, but what's wrong with that RAID config? It's like RAID10, but instead of mirrors, it's arrays with parity. It's aptly called RAID50, too.

Raid 5-0 is okay...ish... until you get so large that double-disk failures are very likely. Raid 0-5 (a raid 0 of raid 5 arrays) is playing with fire the second a controller decides to blip.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Speaking of Linus and Intel products, he found one of those Intel "XCC" CPUs on Computex show floor but with a "normal" custom ambient water loop setup. He wasn't allowed to run CPUZ but was allowed to run Cinebench. In that configuration it scored just over 6000, which is about twice what the Threadripper 1950X scores (so the 32-core Threadripper 2 would probably beat it due to the Zen+ IPC improvements).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NXZHLYtBi8

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mr.Radar posted:

Speaking of Linus and Intel products, he found one of those Intel "XCC" CPUs on Computex show floor but with a "normal" custom ambient water loop setup. He wasn't allowed to run CPUZ but was allowed to run Cinebench. In that configuration it scored just over 6000, which is about twice what the Threadripper 1950X scores (so the 32-core Threadripper 2 would probably beat it due to the Zen+ IPC improvements).
Zen+ has no IPC improvements. At best it has a slight memory latency improvement.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Khorne posted:

Zen+ has no IPC improvements. At best it has a slight memory latency improvement.

Which manifest the same as IPC since you get more done with the same clocks.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

redeyes posted:

Linus rules. He is an unapologetic idiot.

I think my hatred of him has morphed into this. I will never get past the waste of all the poo poo he ruins and breaks through being a shithead, but he's not usually smug or a dickhead about fuckups.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Khorne posted:

Well they claim 3% but obviously that doesn't mean a lot.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

MaxxBot posted:

Well they claim 3% but obviously that doesn't mean a lot.

about as much as intel claims per step.

L33t_Kefka
Jul 16, 2000

My 1337 littl3 magic us3r, put 0n this cr0wn, bitch! H4W H4W! I 0wn j00!!!!
Ok I laughed way too hard at this, Shocking Interview with Intel Engineer about 28-Core 5 GHz CPU (not really)

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

lmbo good one

I don’t know what’s wrong with me but I will always love that meme. every loving time I’m laughing.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Here's the entry page for the i7 8086k sweepstakes - 21 hours remaining!

https://game.intel.com/8086sweepstakes/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Meh, my country ain't listed.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm waiting for the 8088K.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
This is certainly a nice "why doesn't anyone ELSE have this" feature: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-builds-cpu-stress-tester-into-bios.html

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Lmao

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Rexxed posted:

Shouldn't that have been released already?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Rexxed posted:

Why would you want that, the 8088 was a cost reduced slower version of the 8086

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BobHoward posted:

If it's for the same reason I'm waiting for it, it's to see if Intel does that exact same thing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BobHoward posted:

It's just a joke about their weird numbering system and the goofy anniversary processors. What's not a joke is that I'm waiting for the 8087K co-processor. Gotta math fast.