Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

The Doomhammer posted:

Glad to see someone made a mod to diversify unique weapon types a bit, hopefully it's not buggy as hell - https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/81?tab=description

(a bit salty there's not an extra rapier in there though, sick of my favourite snobbish aristocratic street-fighter PC having one viable weapon.)

I'm also a bit miffed about rapiers not getting pierce/slash (George Silver can burn in hell) to make up for their questionable damage, and their modal not being stackable.

And on top of the dearth of rapiers, one of which is supposedly nigh impossible to even get, there's two companions who main rapiers out of the box to begin with which is extra poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

jerman999 posted:

How do I get the interaction with Galawain to trigger? I went down to the second level and started deactivating pylons without realizing there was an option to shut it down, and there was never any interaction with Galawain.

You have to go into the room with the Adra machine and try to deactivate it, you'll get dialogue with Galawain then. Like the other issues with quests done in Not The Right Order, this is confusing and I got it wrong the first time too.

edit: re balancing chat, I'm not a combat min/maxer, I don't really enjoy that but I am concerned about the number of passive vs active abilities you can have within the 1-20 level limit. Rangers in particular have to spend half their levels in passive buffs to their companions just so those companions aren't just smashed all the time, without the compensation of strong active/passive buffs to their own abilities, and forget about multi-classing them, that's just weakening them further. You can argue similar cases with ciphers. I think the passive ability tree has improved since POE 1 but in those cases it seems padded out to nerf the whole point of those classes.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 7, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Side note, but it's extremely disappointing how there's no Darcozzi Paladin specific dialogue options, given half an entire drat faction is focused on them. Seriously? They come up a lot, and yet not a single thing about your character being one of them ever.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

ewe2 posted:

You have to go into the room with the Adra machine and try to deactivate it, you'll get dialogue with Galawain then. Like the other issues with quests done in Not The Right Order, this is confusing and I got it wrong the first time too.

I just looked at a map of Cignath Mor on the wiki and apparently missed the giant room with the Adra machine :cripes:

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Agnosticnixie posted:

I'm also a bit miffed about rapiers not getting pierce/slash (George Silver can burn in hell) to make up for their questionable damage, and their modal not being stackable.

And on top of the dearth of rapiers, one of which is supposedly nigh impossible to even get, there's two companions who main rapiers out of the box to begin with which is extra poo poo.

Um, they're a fast accurate weapon. What questionable damage?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

derra posted:

Um, they're a fast accurate weapon. What questionable damage?

+5 accuracy isn't really going to make the difference most of the time, their speed didn't seem that much of an improvement over a saber, or at least not enough of an improvement IMO for being the one damage type that things have actual immunity to on the regular in this one.

The accuracy modal also gets overwritten by a ton of poo poo so it's a bit much to say they're much more accurate when every class with a generic accuracy boost can get the same out of literally any weapon.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Agnosticnixie posted:

The accuracy modal also gets overwritten by a ton of poo poo so it's a bit much to say they're much more accurate when every class with a generic accuracy boost can get the same out of literally any weapon.
How so? I thought buffs were supposed to stack in PoE2, but I also haven't looked into it.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

ProfessorCirno posted:

Side note, but it's extremely disappointing how there's no Darcozzi Paladin specific dialogue options, given half an entire drat faction is focused on them. Seriously? They come up a lot, and yet not a single thing about your character being one of them ever.

Yeah, it's extremely weird, especially given that the other Paladin orders do get a decent number of options. Did the entire Deadfire writing team forget that Darcozzi are playable?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Ravenfood posted:

How so? I thought buffs were supposed to stack in PoE2, but I also haven't looked into it.

They don't; Zealous Focus and Warrior stances get overwritten by Needle Strike. The only accuracy buff that stacks is Aware because it's +Per rather than +Accuracy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dreylad posted:

my shattered pillar/soul blade watcher doesn't need things like "max level abilities" or "spells" when I can use the ability that teleports me through a bunch of guys, doing crush damage to get 150 focus and then pop someone with a soul annihilation on the other side.

also much like the final fight against Thaos when PoE1 first came out I bugged out the guardian fight by hitting it so hard repeatedly it didn't summon its friends. Although casting Soul Harvest accidentally made it immortal and I had to reload and beat the fight the normal way.

I didn't even know Thaos had statue buddies until I played the game after the White March came out and I did a PotD run.

Just like how I stunlocked the guardian so hard with Concelhaut's Crushing Hammer that he couldn't even enter his guardian summoning phase.

I am so glad that spell is just as disgusting as it was in PoE1

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Agnosticnixie posted:

+5 accuracy isn't really going to make the difference most of the time, their speed didn't seem that much of an improvement over a saber, or at least not enough of an improvement IMO for being the one damage type that things have actual immunity to on the regular in this one.

Mathematically this is really incorrect. 5 accuracy is the best of the weapon bonuses (unless, I suppose, it's a dual weapon type that penetrates on the other one, but you're better off switching anyway in that case for the higher pen or base damage), and fast weapons have the highest dps. Sure the modal isn't the best, but it's significantly better, say, if you're not a Cipher or partying with a priest, and most of the pure damage modals are meh (Battle Axe is the most interesting one IMO)

Rapiers, Clubs and Daggers are *good* *weapons*, it just depends what type of armor you're facing.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Agnosticnixie posted:

They don't; Zealous Focus and Warrior stances get overwritten by Needle Strike. The only accuracy buff that stacks is Aware because it's +Per rather than +Accuracy.

Modals suppress other modals, other accuracy buffs should still work (it still sucks since weapon modals come with their own drawbacks anyway)

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

derra posted:

Mathematically this is really incorrect. 5 accuracy is the best of the weapon bonuses (unless, I suppose, it's a dual weapon type that penetrates on the other one, but you're better off switching anyway in that case for the higher pen or base damage), and fast weapons have the highest dps. Sure the modal isn't the best, but it's significantly better, say, if you're not a Cipher or partying with a priest, and most of the pure damage modals are meh (Battle Axe is the most interesting one IMO)

Rapiers, Clubs and Daggers are *good* *weapons*, it just depends what type of armor you're facing.

I'm guess it might one of the better inherent weapon bonuses, but at the same time, idk. I'm still going from calculations in the first game where the main benefit was closing the gap between medium accuracy and high accuracy classes past a certain point, since at higher levels the accuracy gain seemed to taper off where it went from single wielding rapier being a near guaranted crit at level 1 to just being a very minutely better crit rate past level 10 (and pierce immune enemies being among the first things you face has left me a bit sour on rapiers).

I guess I also don't understand the math justification for the lack of stacking between modals.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What class do you guys think are the most stat hungry? Which are the least?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tenzarin posted:

What class do you guys think are the most stat hungry?

Druid, probably? That's how it felt in PoE1 anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tenzarin posted:

What class do you guys think are the most stat hungry? Which are the least?

Paladins and CC wizards, respectively.

Paladins need to do everything and CC wizards can go full glass cannon on int and dex and per and ignore everything else.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

ewe2 posted:

edit: re balancing chat, I'm not a combat min/maxer, I don't really enjoy that but I am concerned about the number of passive vs active abilities you can have within the 1-20 level limit. Rangers in particular have to spend half their levels in passive buffs to their companions just so those companions aren't just smashed all the time, without the compensation of strong active/passive buffs to their own abilities, and forget about multi-classing them, that's just weakening them further. You can argue similar cases with ciphers. I think the passive ability tree has improved since POE 1 but in those cases it seems padded out to nerf the whole point of those classes.

Rangers get a bunch of accuracy boosts, which everyone loves, but is especially good on some classes. Ghost hearts don’t have to worry about keeping the pet alive, and it seems any offensive stuff on the pet side is somewhat of a trap, since you’ll never make it do much damage or hit accurately on PotD. So if you focus your choices on the good stuff, multi class ranger adds a lot of accuracy and mobility, decent utility and a cheap, fast casting, tanky summon. It’s a solid choice to complement a lot of builds.

But like other “problem” classes right now, you have to know which skills to avoid. And don’t expect it to play like PoE 1, where your pet just loving eats things alive.

I think clearer distinctions between the pets might help. Wolves are fast, penetrate well, and actually hit really hard, but are frail. Bears are tough as nails, but slow, boars hit hard, and regenerate quickly, but fold quickly under heavy pressure due to low health, stags are a defense focused pick, but can deal area damage, lions are a little tougher than wolves, deal less damage overall, but hit faster and have more accuracy. Right now all pets are bears — slow, low damage and decently durable. Bears are the best at being bears, of course, but all the pets fill that role. It would be nice if wolves were more like PoE 1 pets that could deal vicious crits but couldn’t take a hit back and bears played like Deadfire pets.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Paladins and CC wizards, respectively.

Paladins need to do everything and CC wizards can go full glass cannon on int and dex and per and ignore everything else.

I have been thinking about making a more dps paladin since they get alot of free deflection. They get a relative low costing full attack with a dmg bonus on it also.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
by midgame of PoE my Paladin was a better tank than Eder, and i wasn't even using a shield

i seem to recall the thread was generally down on Paladins but i found being one to be super useful, specifically having Inspiring Triump, Lay on Hands, Healing Chain, and Sacred Immolation to pretty much entirely obviate the need for bringing Durance anywhere that wasn't a boss fight (and even then, I beat the WM2 boss without using more than like 3 potions)

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

precision posted:

by midgame of PoE my Paladin was a better tank than Eder, and i wasn't even using a shield

i seem to recall the thread was generally down on Paladins but i found being one to be super useful, specifically having Inspiring Triump, Lay on Hands, Healing Chain, and Sacred Immolation to pretty much entirely obviate the need for bringing Durance anywhere that wasn't a boss fight (and even then, I beat the WM2 boss without using more than like 3 potions)

Once they fixed Pallegina to get leveled bonuses equivalent to rep bonuses from a PC Paladin and an actual order she turned into a beast who could out-tank shield Eder while using a greatsword; Eder's main benefit over her was a higher engagement cap.

But yes, they started out lackluster in general.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
liberating exhortation is just great as a "i'm not dealing with all this debuff bullshit right now" button

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

precision posted:

Paladins were pretty bad early in PoE. I'm pretty sure lay on hands was buffed significantly at some point (It didn't scale, I think?) while healing chain and sacred immolation didn't exist until the expansion came out.

Of course, a lot of people were down on wizards at the start of PoE, and if I remember except for getting a health and endurance buff, they were actually much stronger then, because of crazy poo poo like 6 per encounter pre-nerf slickens and quadruple damage from gaze of the adragan.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The bad wizard thing has been repeated into reality here. The criticism was that wizards were "boring" compared to all the crazy poo poo you could do in BG2, not that they weren't powerful in poe. 5xslicken per encounter and chillfog being insane etc were found immediately.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

IMO the strongest Ranger subclass by a wide margin is the Ghost Heart, just because you don't have to worry about using your pet as a meatshield/flank tool and having to eat Bonded Grief when they die. If all of the Ranger types came with the option of no pet or the ability to keep them completely out of combat somehow, the class as a whole would be that much stronger because you could focus entirely on picking the Ranger's (very good) DPS talents.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Kith posted:

IMO the strongest Ranger subclass by a wide margin is the Ghost Heart, just because you don't have to worry about using your pet as a meatshield/flank tool and having to eat Bonded Grief when they die. If all of the Ranger types came with the option of no pet or the ability to keep them completely out of combat somehow, the class as a whole would be that much stronger because you could focus entirely on picking the Ranger's (very good) DPS talents.

Stalker + Bear is a pretty good combo. Bears just don't die, and they have extra engage, so you can afford to get close in for the passive damage boost and flanking accuracy bonus. The pet itself does poo poo for damage on PotD, but that's not really it's job anyway.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I have a new hardest fight for me, attacking the dawnstar people right after you crash on the island. This is my wagon now.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Well great quest bug:

I ended up in the Gullet shortly after getting to Neketaaka and then straight into the Old City Ruins. Instead of riding the elevator back out I made my way out into the undercroft where you get attacked by pirates. I didn't start a fight, they just come after you. This fucks up your reputation AND aggros the whole map. This includes Mad Morena. I had no idea those things happened, just thought it was part of the process of getting out of the old city. Now I cant complete quest lines with Mad Morena, and I have some reputation problems. Are there console commands to fix this poo poo or do I have to reload from 6 hours ago. Those pirates drew down on me god drat.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Are people remaking PoE I characters or just starting completely new guys?

I can't shake my vague compulsion to start new characters in PoE i.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
PoE1 Question:

I'm playing on PotD with a party focused on ranged attacks.

Kana is currently using Persistence but I've read that his Intelligence actually lowers Wounding's DPS. Is this true/the most up to date info? If so, should I be using a different weapon with him?

Sagani is using Borresaine. She stuns her primary target fairly often but I've never seen her driving flight stun additional targets. Have I been unlucky or unable to notice the stuns due to the chaotic nature of PotD or can she not stun multiple targets?

Does anyone have a favorite ranged weapon for priests?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Goodpancakes posted:

Well great quest bug:

I ended up in the Gullet shortly after getting to Neketaaka and then straight into the Old City Ruins. Instead of riding the elevator back out I made my way out into the undercroft where you get attacked by pirates. I didn't start a fight, they just come after you. This fucks up your reputation AND aggros the whole map. This includes Mad Morena. I had no idea those things happened, just thought it was part of the process of getting out of the old city. Now I cant complete quest lines with Mad Morena, and I have some reputation problems. Are there console commands to fix this poo poo or do I have to reload from 6 hours ago. Those pirates drew down on me god drat.

Take your one stealthiest guy and get all the way the water's edge on the right side of the map, you can exit from there and avoid the aggro.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kith posted:

The one problem with Ghost Heart is that you don't get to use the pet in all of the CYOA/dialogue sections, and it shows up there a lot.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Kana is currently using Persistence but I've read that his Intelligence actually lowers Wounding's DPS. Is this true/the most up to date info? If so, should I be using a different weapon with him?

IIRC, the wounding enchant's duration is increased by Intelligence but not the actual damage, so that each tick causes less damage. This is a DPS loss, and it is a straight damage loss if you're reapplying the dot before the full duration. I'm about 90% sure on this, so I may be mistaken.

Also, I like to use guns on Durance just for thematic reasons. Other priests, I usually go with whatever decent ranged weapons I have.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

KPC_Mammon posted:

PoE1 Question:

I'm playing on PotD with a party focused on ranged attacks.

Sagani is using Borresaine. She stuns her primary target fairly often but I've never seen her driving flight stun additional targets. Have I been unlucky or unable to notice the stuns due to the chaotic nature of PotD or can she not stun multiple targets?

I would swap Borresaine and Persistance between the two characters. Itumaak gets that 50% damage bonus on enemies with a DoT, and if they're both attacking the same target they also get that accuracy bonus, and the synergy with Hunter's Mark.

For Priests I usually use that soulbound rod that's completely unpronounceable.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I keep seeing a lot of people insisting that melee mindstalker is too squishy and I'm not entirely sure I get what makes them so. Like the biggest loss from psyblade seems to be about 1 hit point per level which doesn't seem super huge, and in return you get a bunch of rogue defensives which would seemingly make up for it? Would medium armor not fix the core of the problem?

I remember reading in the thread that people seemed to be extremely adamant about sticking every possible variant of rogue in light armor and then whining that they couldn't take hits while fighting in leather jackets or frock coats.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 7, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Khizan posted:

IIRC, the wounding enchant's duration is increased by Intelligence but not the actual damage, so that each tick causes less damage. This is a DPS loss, and it is a straight damage loss if you're reapplying the dot before the full duration. I'm about 90% sure on this, so I may be mistaken.

That's correct with one exception: The DoT from Wounding stacks with itself. So you're really not losing much damage with high Intellect unless the enemy is so weak that it dies within seconds anyway.

Ravenfood posted:

The only change to stacking compared to PoE1 is that equipment now stacks with itself. Active buffs still only count the highest one.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Taear posted:

I'm going to find it hard to help anyone other than the Huana though. The Valians supporting Crookspur made me hate them by the end and Ruatai are just plain imperialists.

Who do you think legalized slavery in the Deadfire in the first place?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

KPC_Mammon posted:

PoE1 Question:

If your priest is Durance, use an Arquebus since he gets a talent that gives him like +10 Accuracy with one. If your priest is your PC, pick a ranged weapon that suits your own accuracy bonuses. The unpronounceable soulbound rod is also pretty decent overall.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Any idea when the patch goes out of beta?

Think I finally setled on a final party of Eder fighter/rogue, watcher monk, Xoti cleric, Teheku druid and Maia ranger/wizard for when it drops. Surprised myself as I wanted to stick with the poe1 guys initially, but Pallegina’s hardon for vtc and Aloth’s no fun allowed policy puts a nail in that.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Avalerion posted:

Any idea when the patch goes out of beta?

Think I finally setled on a final party of Eder fighter/rogue, watcher monk, Xoti cleric, Teheku druid and Maia ranger/wizard for when it drops. Surprised myself as I wanted to stick with the poe1 guys initially, but Pallegina’s hardon for vtc and Aloth’s no fun allowed policy puts a nail in that.

The devs are still in testing for a few cosmetic and balance tweaks so I suspect maybe like next week? I don't think they've really given an ETA besides sometime early this month.

Also there's apparently a mod that adds resourcefulness to Aloth's likes and makes it so he doesn't have two contradictory preferences that should really have been set depending on his ending: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/78?tab=posts

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Goodpancakes posted:

Well great quest bug:

There are quests for Mad Morena?
I mentioned this earlier in the thread and I did exactly the same. You can't do anything about it other than reload. It only aggroed the guards for me though, not everyone.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Who do you think legalized slavery in the Deadfire in the first place?

I assumed it was a riff on slavery in Africa, where it's a different modal until other people turn up and want to buy more than your supply allows.
So I thought it was always legal and only Crookspur and the Principe are bending the rules.

Occasionally there are named people in the game that come up when you press Tab but don't do anything. There's one in the Governor's office in Port Maje and there's one in the bathhouse. Are they also backer NPCs that paid less or are they just cut content?

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jun 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis