Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kruber is a handsome man and that poster is a fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Phlegmish posted:

Well, Champion feels a bit too easy most of the time, but I like that you have some leeway and don't have to be on point 100% of the time, especially after a long day at work. I still want to try Legend, I'll give it a go as soon as I find that red trinket that's been eluding me for so long.

One of my main criticisms of the game is that it badly needs a 4/5 difficulty level. Champion is easy enough not to be engaging most of the time if you're with a competent group (and trying to sandbag with a comedy build is liable to just result in you watching Sienna and the Elf clear the level for you), but Legend is a massive jump in difficulty with a tiny margin for error that really makes you rub up against the game's rough edges.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fishstick posted:

I wish there was a difficulty in between champ and Legend. Champ is a for sure thing for me but I still take damage for bullshit reasons, and I can't imagine losing Legend runs over dumb game issues feels great.

That'd be perfect, just a bit harder than Champion, not a whole qualitative leap.
Anyway, we should do Legend together, at least they can never kick us.

e: Kruber is devilishly handsome for sure, it's no wonder Kerillian is all about that moustache

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Voyager I posted:

Still giving my slot to 'most hosed up map' to Hunger in the Dark. You get all the joys of fighting a boss that spawns in impossibly narrow tunnels, but now there's also an extended segment with no visibility and no sanity checks on what kind of bullshit the game can pull in there.

I absolutely love that Fatshark had the balls to make a map with an extended dark section, I genuinely enjoy that part. But then, I liked Doom 3.

I main Bardin, so tunnel fighting in the dark just feels perfect. I'd like more, frankly.

Though if I could have whatever maps I wanted, I'd want far more dwarf holds. The little bit you get to see in Into the Nest is way cool.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

so to initiate a vote kick, you have to hold tab, right click to get a mouse, find a ui button under the player and press

to vote in a vote kick, you press escape and then press an f key

why

why fatshark

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

loving HELL YEAH, i finished the last of the 13 levels with ranger and on the last level red drakefires dropped. Now i can slowly do all 13 levels as ironbreaker with sweet rear end red drakefires.

Running this build http://verminbuilds.com/#91ff8c7ff562-6f25c02dd605 *charm is Pvi and PvC

Warpick is amazing because the fast light attacks can scatter deep hordes very quickly, charged attacks mess up armored targets. Drakefires are an excellent DPS machine for either hitting a boss that's running out of melee range or just picking off clusters of rats around allies. I'm not nearly as versatile as the ranger due no handgun but with 20% PvC i gently caress up most specials super fast. Thinking about swapping hunter for either barrage or that less heat trait.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I absolutely love that Fatshark had the balls to make a map with an extended dark section, I genuinely enjoy that part. But then, I liked Doom 3.

I main Bardin, so tunnel fighting in the dark just feels perfect. I'd like more, frankly.

Though if I could have whatever maps I wanted, I'd want far more dwarf holds. The little bit you get to see in Into the Nest is way cool.

I personally liked the dark section maps more in V1 because there was the whole ghimmick of having to carry the torch with you.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Knobb Manwich posted:

so to initiate a vote kick, you have to hold tab, right click to get a mouse, find a ui button under the player and press

to vote in a vote kick, you press escape and then press an f key

why

why fatshark

I feel like the best explanation for these sort of things came upthread: Fatshark operates on skaven technology.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Fishstick posted:

I personally liked the dark section maps more in V1 because there was the whole ghimmick of having to carry the torch with you.

I on the other hand, hated those levels for the exact reason you liked them!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mendrian posted:

I on the other hand, hated those levels for the exact reason you liked them!

this is because you were the one who got stuck carrying the torch

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm really liking Handgun Ranger now, it feels like a much more chill version of Handgun Huntsman that can rely on special kills for ammo instead of headshots, more relevant talents for melee (5% attack speed and 5% move speed), and Smoke Bomb still boosts ranged damage on top lasting way longer than Prowl. You won't be doing as much damage as a Huntsman, but you'll have more time and space to get those headshots in on bosses, as well as Smoke Bomb still being a great escape skill.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

Phlegmish posted:

She is a grandma idiot

I'm told she's not as old as she looks. That's just what abuse of magic does to you. The way humans do it, anyway.

Fishstick posted:

I can't imagine losing Legend runs over dumb game issues feels great.

It really doesn't. You just have to play so well in general that occasionally getting stabbed by loving NOTHING (as just one example) doesn't doom the group.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Also the dark sections are fine on their own, but the areas need to be recoded with severe spawn restrictions.

"Push the cart five yards. Now lets backtrack through the entire area so we do not instantly die!" should not be the go to strategy for any area of the game.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Starting to dip my toes into legend. Apparently the best way to play skitter gate is to suicide off the 1st cliff 3 times in a row until you get a new map.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

or you could just play through the map full library with a ranged-heavy group and use the ramp exploit during the end fight to cheeze it :dukedog:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I love the fact that they did it as well. It suits the game and gives diversity. I also like that flame weapons in general cast ligh for everyone.
That said I would wish for a small light aura from characters like sienna or when a weapon with glowing/lights is equipped

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

ovenboy posted:

I feel like the best explanation for these sort of things came upthread: Fatshark operates on skaven technology.

A righteous soul fears not Fatshark witchery. A righteous soul fears not Fatshark witchery!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

or you could just play through the map full library with a ranged-heavy group and use the ramp exploit during the end fight to cheeze it :dukedog:

Pretty sure they fixed that cheese, didn't they?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Fuuka Ayase posted:

I'm told she's not as old as she looks. That's just what abuse of magic does to you. The way humans do it, anyway.

I'm not certain how old she's supposed to be because they talk about her going back to the colleges of magic to study further, but bright mages generally have shortened lives because of the sheer direct power they throw around. The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long and all that.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Fishstick posted:

Pretty sure they fixed that cheese, didn't they?

They did??? That's sad news

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

How's the game doing these days, friends? I haven't played since they did their veteran gear revamp thing.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Meridian posted:

How's the game doing these days, friends? I haven't played since they did their veteran gear revamp thing.

Right now is probably the best overall state the game has been in.

Most careers are viable, there's cosmetics and stuff you can grind towards if you want, daily missions/quests, loot drops for Red items and cosmetics from chests have been increased, and the crafting system was improved a bit.

Its still a bit rough around the edges but 95% of the time its not really an issue and you can ratsmash your heart out.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 7, 2018

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Meridian posted:

I burned sone rats earlier, and it was fun.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fuuka Ayase posted:

So she's like a reverse elf? That's, wow, actually kind of brutal.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

So she's like a reverse elf? That's, wow, actually kind of brutal.

From what I know about Bright Wizards, fire magic is basically like channeling meth in terms of what it does to your body. It's addictive and takes a toll on you.

Unchained ist just a doubled-down methhead while Pyro is a functional meth user.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
God, nothing's more infuriating than fighting a Rat Ogre with 1s~ lag. Love to watch blocks work just a bit too late for the advancing smash, love to eat poo poo from overheads you'll never be able to dodge in time. Please get dedicated servers in with the DLC.

On a happier note, even with lag the 1H mace shines on Merc Kruber. I'm glad it has a class that makes it drat good.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
I cannot confirm if additional healing from talent and necklace stacks in absolute terms thanks to stat obfuscation, but holy butts does it certainly feel like it does.

Shoot one fireball.

Oh hey look I have full temp health from 10% green health. This is incredibly silly, and I think it might suit a melee BW more because every kill the dagger is getting is returning quite a bit of white health. Getting jabbed at random is much less of a short term danger, and the dagger is good at confirming it's own kills. Sword and Mace tend to control things well but let others get the finishing blow. Why not just spam fireball? The risk of getting stuck on high heat with no instant vent from ult in a tight spot. You're better off doing the initial health farm with a fireball blast then going to town in melee. Reserve your literal nuclear device, armed by World Aflame, for when it's most lucrative. High heat melee slowdown is incredibly dramatic, and your physical presence on a front line means the enemies encroach less due to AI bullshit.

I know some of this is basic to point out, but it's worth saying. I always try to justify the behavior of my builds.

Fuuka Ayase fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 7, 2018

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

toasterwarrior posted:

God, nothing's more infuriating than fighting a Rat Ogre

I still find him to be the overall worst miniboss due to instant 180° turns + animation speed, regardless of lag.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

haldolium posted:

I still find him to be the overall worst miniboss due to instant 180° turns + animation speed, regardless of lag.

I literally got overhead smashed due to a 180 and lag, it was the most tilted I've been at this game since the content patch since it was clear that everyone was lagging and taking hits they shouldn't have.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Carrying the torch was the easiest thing ever. You just don't carry it, always throw it a few feet in front of yourself and keep doing it. Like barrels or sacks, holding onto an object for longer than a second is a bad way to play because you are insanely vulnerable and you cannot rely on others to protect you. I remember the night on Drachenfels I told a guy to loving drop the statue and just keep tossing it, i.e let me do it, and he said "man I don't have time for this"

proceeds to get hit in the rear end 2 times and was too slow to avoid TWO globe rat attacks

Throwing is always faster and I'm a psychopath about barrels.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

toasterwarrior posted:

I literally got overhead smashed due to a 180 and lag, it was the most tilted I've been at this game since the content patch since it was clear that everyone was lagging and taking hits they shouldn't have.

I too feel like instances of lag stabs have increased by quite a bit.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Lunethex posted:

Carrying the torch was the easiest thing ever. You just don't carry it, always throw it a few feet in front of yourself and keep doing it. Like barrels or sacks, holding onto an object for longer than a second is a bad way to play because you are insanely vulnerable and you cannot rely on others to protect you. I remember the night on Drachenfels I told a guy to loving drop the statue and just keep tossing it, i.e let me do it, and he said "man I don't have time for this"

proceeds to get hit in the rear end 2 times and was too slow to avoid TWO globe rat attacks

Throwing is always faster and I'm a psychopath about barrels.

Throwing is faster, but constantly having to track the object as it flies around and picking it back up again as you go keeps you just as tunnel-visioned in the long run as carrying it normally does. At least, for me. I usually just carry things.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

have you tried
:gitgud:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

there's a torch??

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
I'm going to just admit something I don't like saying in polite company.

Pyro is good enough to function as a hard carry. Yes, I know what I've said about Sienna as a whole in the past.

I was never under any delusion. Pyro still has a setup that allows it to throw out skulls as fast as you can hit the button. This easily functions as a hard carry for your team. It's incredibly powerful. It's also the most obnoxious thing possible to have 70% of the damage to your team every fight be exclusively from Sienna. Also incredibly disheartening to have this exist as justification for not making Sienna generally functional because people can point to the one hard carrying team killing build as reason for buffing nothing else. Yes cause clearly THIS is how the game is meant to be played. Standing absolutely no where near any enemy that exists because of random beam sweeping to bait for ult, or the inevitable skull that purposefully curves in to teammates. Which is now happening several times every single engagement. Any brief instance of either being no big deal becomes a lot of lost team health over time.

..Which isn't even a problem because you carry so hard. Yet still successfully discourages anyone else from doing anything meaningful. Why tangle with a mauler when Sienna is going to do more damage to you than it does? Which I am sure is really fun for everyone else. Clearly this is how Sienna is meant to be played. Clearly this is fine so long as Sienna is quantifiably good SOMEHOW and a credit to the team. It's fine. This is fine. This won't create a problem with reactionary nerfs and leave a smoking crater of sub-mediocrity later either. Nevermind that anything besides this one really good build on Sienna is noticably worse or even unfun. There's not a core design issue here. It's all fine.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I enjoy having Sienna around. That half second to appreciate the impending burning skull ping-ponging towards me before getting knocked out is great.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I think I just got the worst red, not counting reds that don't even have an illusion. Behold!

The ugliest handgun illusion, with the laziest glow effect applied. :cripes:

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

Knobb Manwich posted:

I enjoy having Sienna around. That half second to appreciate the impending burning skull ping-ponging towards me before getting knocked out is great.

No you see mine is even worse than this.

I haven't seen this from other Pyros either. Mine has the nasty habit of zigzagging in the same spot midair cause it can't quite hit the head of a random enemy everyone is fighting. Which creates a scary situation of not wanting to go near enough to fight said enemy/ies because you're walking in to a potential multi FF zigzagging skull. OH it'll fix itself eventually. Eventually...

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

Sykic posted:

I think I just got the worst red, not counting reds that don't even have an illusion. Behold!

You shut up it's bootiful. I'll hear no other opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sykic posted:

Ya that's....loving terrible.

I think Aunty Bessie is the coolest looking shooter illusion Markus can get and it would have been a much better base skin to give glowing rune effects than that old plank of wood.

In other news, I can't seem to make the game want to give me a better looking pair of axes for Slayer than the base illusion.

#oldworldproblems