Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

DNF was never really constantly worked on though. It was partially worked on, abandoned, then thrown away, over and over and over again. Eventually someone else bought the rights and just made it from scratch. So even though 15 years passed between the first man-hour spent on it, and the final delivery, it wasn't really 15 years of development.

Although there are some parallels with things getting refactored and reworked and thrown away etc., the core project for SC has been being worked on by CIG for the entire 7 years. I'm not sure which other game that puts it in true competition with, but what's most impressive to me is how little has been done. It's a lovely proof-of-concept that shows the concept doesn't work, and it has been for literal years. Every patch reveals an astounding lack of development progress, and what appears to be increasing amounts of instability as they attempt to stack more of the impossible on top of the abominable.

This is absolutely correct. However this is all that Star Citizen really has left to compare against. Might as well vilify DNF as much as possible and make it appear like "totally normal game development happening here!" Because otherwise it may make Star Citizen look a bit daft and incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Also, fun fact:

Over the 7 years of Star Citizen development, lead designer and CEO, who's "making the game I want to play", has gone on video exactly one time to play his game.

--===--
7 YEARS of development, and Chris Roberts played his game ONE TIME on video for his backers.
--===--

When he did, it was like he had never seen it before. He could not play it. He also bashed the chat system and vowed it would be replaced immediately.

The chat system has not yet been replaced.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Titanic posted:

You could assume, likely very correctly, that if Star Citizen ever releases it will be hacked immediately and these hackers will get a bit richer in real life so long as the grey market exists even a little bit.
Star Citizen only releases in a timeline where the released product, which destroys their "crowd funding" and that bullshit lie, will make more money than their long running scam.

Makes for interesting thinking. At what point does their idiot cult wake up enough, at what point does star citizen reach actually making more money as a released product than https://store.steampowered.com/app/397580/Moonbase_332/

I mean outside of the cultists buying boxed copies to try to give to their "friends".

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

Also, fun fact:

Over the 7 years of Star Citizen development, lead designer and CEO, who's "making the game I want to play", has gone on video exactly one time to play his game.

--===--
7 YEARS of development, and Chris Roberts played his game ONE TIME on video for his backers.
--===--

When he did, it was like he had never seen it before. He could not play it. He also bashed the chat system and vowed it would be replaced immediately.

The chat system has not yet been replaced.

That video is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. You could almost feel the CEO smarm coming through the monitor, as his heaving sweating mass sighed in frustration. You could hear his inner thought system saying "I did all this motion capture, I did my part, what has everyone else been doing, where is the loving game, what is this loving poo poo" it was just absolutely tremendous. The crash, him blinking at the joystick like a troglodyte, just everything about the video was fantastic. If there were any justice in the universe, right when it ended, a big needle over his head would have swung over the word "BAD" and he'd have gotten dropped down a chute like Veruca Salt in Willy Wonka.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
The original demo of Star Citizen was designed and developed by CryTek.

This, however, did not stop Chris Roberts from taking full credit and pretending that he coded it himself.

It also did not stop him from giving himself 2 years of backpay once the Kickstarter was kicked off for all the work he had to do.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Evocati leaks

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6lbra9

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Chris Roberts promised that Star Citizen would be released late in 2014. He also made statements explaining that anything longer and things would get stale. To back up his hefty promise he also assured backers that if he failed, one of the things he would do would be to make the financials for the company public so everybody would know what was going on.

That was almost 4 years ago.

The promise has been adjusted.

No financials were released.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?
DCS: Now with Star Citizen fidelity physics:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

Chris Roberts promised that Star Citizen would be released late in 2014. He also made statements explaining that anything longer and things would get stale. To back up his hefty promise he also assured backers that if he failed, one of the things he would do would be to make the financials for the company public so everybody would know what was going on.

That was almost 4 years ago.

The promise has been adjusted.

No financials were released.

The revolution will not be audited.

^^^ is that why the hawk module reviews so badly?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Aha our goon false false flag flag gambit is paying off.

*inception*

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I genuinely have held the belief for a long time that I hope we're all wrong (I don't think we are but I hope) but honestly after today I've changed my mind. Guys like ShapCap, Montoya, and Evan deserve to lose every penny of their money and be mocked until the end of time for this poo poo. I still don't think the average backer deserves what CIG is doing to them, but those guys can all go gently caress themselves right in their fat fuckin asses.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Beet Wagon posted:

Guys like ShapCap, Montoya, and Evan deserve to lose every penny of their money

Well you don't have to worry about that

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Damnit, I wanted to play a red-headed gray-skinned Neanderthal!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/themaxbacon/status/1004465055252058112
https://twitter.com/maciekjr/status/1004790409111875585
https://twitter.com/themaxbacon/status/1004856421601697795
https://twitter.com/maciekjr/status/1004857626817990656
https://twitter.com/themaxbacon/status/1004858020977872898

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

You see, actually Star Citizen fans are very much like a widely persecuted minority becauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse :barf:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
As a backer or lurker, I hope my quick recap of some happy memories and status updates have helped you to have, if even for a moment, a bit of reflection on the current situation.

Food for thought:
The real money store is the best designed, most functional part of the game.

Chris Roberts couldn't care less about your/his game (he's played it once in 7 years).

Promises are only an edit away from being nothing at all.

The community and the company won't let you talk anything remotely negative about their game or methods. It will simply be shut down. You cannot voice your concerns, only your undying adoration.

If this is what you have after 7 years, the end product is easily decades away from being even a beta of a real game.

Star Citizen the mmorpg has not even started to be developed yet, they are struggling to build a limited player, single server arena game.

Squadron 42 has potentially the "best shot" at being realized, since its only a single player game. Erin Roberts has also gone on record as saying this is his main focus, and immediately following that is the next episode of Squadron 42. Star Citizen is potentially not even on the road map.

Some of the high ranked officials of the company appear to not even care about the company or the game, such as Sandi, VP of Marketing, being seen in acting roles across different terrible movies.

My opinion:
For about 1.5-2 years now, CIG has shifted. They very much give off an air of "We no longer give a poo poo, we just want the money, so here's some crap to show you and entertain you or something."

Some big public events have been shilling expos for hardware vendors trying to sell their merchandise to the, very correctly assumed, backers who will buy anything if it says Star Citizen on it.

The whole thing no longer feels like it's about the game anymore. CIG doesn't care that their product is crap and doesn't really show an inkling of care. The only time they bite is when somebody goes after the money chain.

It feels very much like the people who once cared have gotten what they want, and are now rolling the money ball to get it as large as possible without caring for whom gets run over. The game is very much secondary to getting the money.

This greed is evident everywhere. CIG is an impersonal monster, worse even than the "evil publishers" they decried.

Good job I guess. :shrug:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

"you don't understand game development" is like the ultimate insult in the 'verse.

People have been pretzelized by fideliphysics for less.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

"you don't understand game development" is like the ultimate insult in the 'verse.

People have been pretzelized by fideliphysics for less.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Did Sandi personally select the emotes for spectrum? That post got: turd, middle finger, baby, baby bottle, dismissive wave, "princess," Picard facepalm, and snowflake.

Some amazing shitizen rationalization in there too.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

at this point, 7 years into development, what % chance do you have on average of living through an encounter with a door?

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...
Star Citizen: I don't support the murder threateners. HOWEVER...

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Scruffpuff posted:

Eventually someone else bought the rights and just made it from scratch.
:wrong:

It was made from all of the components that were assembled as flavour-of-the-month set-pieces throughout the intervening 15 years so that on release it consisted entirely of gameplay that was stale from years of sitting on the development shelf while the rest of the genre had moved forward.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Uh so, this may be a weird time to ask but, whats happening with the crytek lawsuit?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Gejnor posted:

Uh so, this may be a weird time to ask but, whats happening with the crytek lawsuit?

Nothin'

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Ghostlight posted:

:wrong:

It was made from all of the components that were assembled as flavour-of-the-month set-pieces throughout the intervening 15 years so that on release it consisted entirely of gameplay that was stale from years of sitting on the development shelf while the rest of the genre had moved forward.

So you're saying it had 15 years of things more recent than anything Chris Roberts is familiar with.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Man, if you don't look at all, it sure is easy to see noting but good things.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I'm surprised there haven't been a bunch of extremely obvious backers-pretending-to-be-goons threatening people to try and pretend that we are the ones doing all of this. These people are already sending the death and rape threats to children in the first place so I'm not sure what's stopping them from trying some psychological warfare where they defend their video game by framing other people for the things they have been doing all along.

Like when Sandi disappeared from Twitter saying she was being harassed somehow and a few days later some new account started screaming at her in all caps out of literally nowhere about derek smart.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 8, 2018

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Like when Sandi disappeared from Twitter saying she was being harassed somehow and a few days later some new account started screaming at her in all caps out of literally nowhere about derek smart.
Sandi is, and this is a backhanded compliment if I've ever given one, rather much smarter than her backers.

On that topic: Beet mentions thinking "the average backer" doesn't deserve this. Aren't these people now the "average backer"? The community is gated with insanity, led by imbeciles and culled by lunatics. Are we imagining there's some great silent majority who donate thousands to CIG but are somehow oblivious to all this idiocy? Aren't most of the normies out or have simply resigned themselves to lost money?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Beet Wagon posted:

I genuinely have held the belief for a long time that I hope we're all wrong (I don't think we are but I hope) but honestly after today I've changed my mind. Guys like ShapCap, Montoya, and Evan deserve to lose every penny of their money and be mocked until the end of time for this poo poo. I still don't think the average backer deserves what CIG is doing to them, but those guys can all go gently caress themselves right in their fat fuckin asses.

Misery loves company and their company is miserable

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

I was gonna say, why the gently caress do the same idiotic things keep getting reposted over and over.

Then I realized, its new posts. And more people keep pulling the same horrible poo poo out of their rear end.

What the gently caress.

Part of me finds this whole thing fascinating and I want to see all this happen as it goes up in flames. :suspense:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I'm surprised there haven't been a bunch of extremely obvious backers-pretending-to-be-goons threatening people to try and pretend that we are the ones doing all of this. These people are already sending the death and rape threats to children in the first place so I'm not sure what's stopping them from trying some psychological warfare where they defend their video game by framing other people for the things they have been doing all along.

Our shibboleth is an rear end in a top hat with no ring, their shibboleth is someone banned from our ring of assholes

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Gejnor posted:

Regular lawsuit things, which is to say, the next meeting is sitting in the court calendar and when it happens will consist entirely of delaying tactics from one side that argued successfully will enable them to delay the next step for months or argued unsuccessfully will enable them to delay the next step for weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well i figured it was something like that, just saw nothing new about it since march.