Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Boxturret posted:

i don't believe that's real, i mean a bitcoiner thinking about the well being of future generations over their own? i guess since the price isn't shooting to the moon currently they've lapsed back into the phase where they go on and on about how bitcoin is good for the future of humanity or whatever

it makes more sense when you realize it's an insincere sales pitch. it's tom sawyer telling you how much your grandkids will love that whitewashed fence. just hold this bag and your children's children will be demigods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

see i'm not mad actually i'm really happy right now. ha. ha. ha. ha. ha. ha.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Boxturret posted:

i don't believe that's real, i mean a bitcoiner having grandchildren

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Boxturret posted:

see i'm not mad actually i'm really happy right now. ha. ha. ha. ha. ha. ha.

actually this is good for bitcoin because :bravo2:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"fiat currency isn't real" I tell myself as I convert 100% of my burger king wages into dogecoin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

...! posted:

the memories are a construct, also the bird is bad at math

i can count to one t:derptiel:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so bitcoin is about harassment of the low-level staffers that answer the phone to try to get them to allow an insane libertarian murderer to yell AUDIT THE FED at the chairman of the SEC in person, seems about right

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
eat the dick, mcafee

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Not just any dick

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

...! posted:

the memories are a construct, also the bird is bad at math

I can't believe nobody pointed out this was :wrong:

Blue tits are extremely good at math.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MGKho299bY

this is a really good talk about bitcoin and dumb crooks, from a guy who delights in cashing in prosecution futures. 40 min, but quite comprehensible on 1.5x.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

I would watch that debate.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i definitely want mcafee to debate some trump admin idiot

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

divabot posted:

this is a really good talk about bitcoin and dumb crooks, from a guy who delights in cashing in prosecution futures. 40 min, but quite comprehensible on 1.5x.

lol if you don't watch all videos at 2x speed

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

what
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWkjsbIYTTA&t=220s

why tim draper?! you had a beautiful vision of a california brutally torn to six bloody quivering pieces! why is it only three now??:cry:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
6 pieces, 12 senators :getin:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
old and busted: gerrymandering house seats
new hotness: gerrymandering senate seats

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

"Show that prick what the crypto community is all about : Deranged conspiracy theories and vicious harassment of any purported wrongthinkers!"

FrozenVent posted:

I would watch that debate.

Depends on how much bath salts McAfee manages to snort beforehand/during.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

how can we get mccaffee to castrate and autocannibalise himself on live tv?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

divabot posted:

Just for the heck of it I looked into his theory that there were lots of blockchain nazis using 1488, but as far as I can see while that number peaks out above the average, (for example, there are 2311 transactions sending 0.1488 BTC) it is not that much larger than other non-nazi amounts (there are 1594 transactions sending 0.1588, there are 1834 transactions sending 0.1388, 1417 transactions sending 0.1387 etc). Seems like the majority of "nazi" amounts are just tumblers and randomness arriving at that number, though the 14.88 BTC transaction to daily stormer was a pretty obvious message.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
hey guys check out INPI asia’s partnership press release for their revolutionary solution for securing documents using nanotechnology and blockchain. and their obviously fake website and barren YouTube and LinkedIn pages. a self proclaimed industry leader in blockchain and nanotech nobody's ever heard of that popped up overnight. lots of buzzword salad and comedy gold nuggets like

quote:

Secured Digital Documentation using Nanotechnology

The benefit of using DOCKryptoTM :
* Transform any paper document to into a digital paper (e-Paper)
* Prevent any physical cloning or counterfeiting of documents
* Track and trace any document to ensure the authentication
* Enable issuing digital copies of the original document
* Enable digital notarization whilst maintaining traditional notarization
* Build trust and transparency by preventing any issuances loops with blockchain technology
* Simplify ineffective traditional administrative processes
you'd have to be a fool not to go all in on the amazing platform they're partnering with !!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Depends on how much bath salts McAfee manages to snort beforehand/during.

bath salts were banned years ago and rapidly lost popularity once they were just as illegal as everything else, he's just on regular ol' cocaine now

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ymgve posted:

Just for the heck of it I looked into his theory that there were lots of blockchain nazis using 1488, but as far as I can see while that number peaks out above the average, (for example, there are 2311 transactions sending 0.1488 BTC) it is not that much larger than other non-nazi amounts (there are 1594 transactions sending 0.1588, there are 1834 transactions sending 0.1388, 1417 transactions sending 0.1387 etc). Seems like the majority of "nazi" amounts are just tumblers and randomness arriving at that number, though the 14.88 BTC transaction to daily stormer was a pretty obvious message.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

racist wallet software that keeps generating addresses with variations of h1tl0r in it

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

ate all the Oreos posted:

bath salts were banned years ago and rapidly lost popularity once they were just as illegal as everything else, he's just on regular ol' cocaine now
this is not necessarily true. "bath salts" is a slang term for things which are similar in structure and effect to other illegal drugs. the ones he was doing are now probably illegal but maybe not all of them and chinese chemists are always dumpster diving into academic journals for new drugs that aren't illegal yet.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
mdpv is not legal and impossible to buy now that the chinese government have clamped down on it. there's still a bunch of horrible for you grey market stims, but mdpv was some uniquely crazy poo poo

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

quote:

Its amazing to see LN being built on top of bitcoin. But wait till you see what will be built on top of LN (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 4 hours ago * by slvbtc

What do you see as the most promising 3rd layer applications that will eventually be built on top of LN?

quote:

smeggletoot [score hidden] 2 hours ago*

Off the top of my head:

A new web 3.0 era Internet purged of advertising that allows 'pay what you can afford' funding models of your favourite websites. We see early versions of this with brave and lightning payment gateways.

Journalists and content creators freed from the yoke of media conglomerates which will see quality content rewarded by the crowd.

No more clickbait!

VR and in-game currencies.

Direct artist->consumer payment channels will change everything from music to high end art distribution.

An end to cable TV as we know it and Hollywood middlemen. More and more projects will do direct to crowd pitches.

An end to big pharma. We can expect academics and researchers to be able to go direct to the crowd, much like we saw with the immunology hiv project. Removing corporations and profit incentives will mean multiple researchers can collaborate worldwide instead of having to compete as they do currently.

One universal login with decentralised encrypted data layers that can be used to securely store everything from your visa applications and passport data, to medical records. This may come through blockstack / Microsoft and rolled out first to tech savvy users through GitHub (after their recent acquisition this would make a lot of sense).

AirBnB, Google, Microsoft updating legacy data stores to enable much more fluid value transfer chains and reputation management systems that can resist Sybil attacks.

An end to spam (calls and email).

Wouldn't exactly shock me if all houses in the future are bought and sold via an AirBnB sidechain that cuts out all the middlemen, including AirBnB itself which might end up becoming more of a basic utility service / public good.

Perhaps the ultimate 'exit' in the future won't be whether you can sell your startup on, but whether it can be open sourced and handed over for the crowd to maintain as a public good project. Kinda' like what happened with some railway and utility companies in the past.

We can also expect the concept of a global rent to gain traction allowing people to travel and live all over the world without needing anything but their blockstack ID. Imagine walking into a new town and seeing an AR overlay of all the vacant places you are eligible to stay in and being able to walk straight in with a smartphone tap.

Same for Lyft. Why buy a car when you can just walk up to an empty Lyft car, swipe your phone and pay per minute through the Lyft sidechain?

Could eBay one day pivot into a global tradenet powered by their own sidechain directly linking producers, suppliers and consumers? I see no reason why not.

quote:

TwoEvilDadsredditor for 3 months [score hidden] an hour ago

I know you are joking, but blockchains could add accountability into military. Even such things as private corporate military would be acceptable to the general population if they could be held to precise accountability. Every decision from the top down to the bullet fired on an encrypted blockchain that can be decrypted to create accountability.

quote:

timmy12688 [score hidden] 2 hours ago

Convulated Neural Networks with money as the incentive/reward. Think about all the possibilities machines have access to when you can give them micro payments between each other. Andreas talked about this in a lecture of his. How robots will have use currency to machine learn is the future of tech and AI.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

meanwhile lightning network is trying to figure out how routing works

you know the entire loving basis of its protocol

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I'm the Convulated Neural Network

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! posted:

Andreas talked about this in a lecture of his. How robots will have use currency to machine learn is the future of tech and AI.

good for him

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

direct consumer/artist payment channels

just ignore paypal and stripe and patreon and ko-fi and venmo and

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Djeser posted:

direct consumer/artist payment channels

just ignore paypal and stripe and patreon and ko-fi and venmo and

but they don't make me rich have a blockchain

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Gobbeldygook posted:

this is not necessarily true. "bath salts" is a slang term for things which are similar in structure and effect to other illegal drugs. the ones he was doing are now probably illegal but maybe not all of them and chinese chemists are always dumpster diving into academic journals for new drugs that aren't illegal yet.

I tend to think of "bath salts" as referring not just to technically legal psychoactive substances, but specifically to ones sold OTC at convenience stores and gas stations with labeling completely contrary to their actual use.

Research chemicals or designer drugs or what have you will always be a thing, but the whole "Yes officer, these are just bath salts. For when I take a bath later. In my bathtub." thing seems unlikely to recur anytime soon.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

i'm aware, i was horribly addicted to them for over a year. pretty much all the viable ones were banned at once (via legislation that claimed it was banning "synthetic cannabis" but only wound up banning the one specific chemical in K2, a bunch of amphetamines and all the 2C's). left over legal ones are pretty much just stuff like halogenated amphetamines, which are super duper bad for you instead of just being regular bad for you (and in fact various fluoroamphetamines in particular are used in labs specifically to selectively kill certain brain cells)

generally when people talk about "bath salts" they're specifically talking about MDPV (don't think I ever did that), methylone (didn't get much of a high and it had this awful plastic taste that stuck with you after snorting) and mephedrone (the specific one I was addicted to, which worked all too well :sigh:)

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

about halfway through this i thought to myself "why do we need a blockchain to do these things?" then i remembered this is a butter talking

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

why would airbnb, the service that lets you get paid to let a stranger into your house who then refuses to leave, take over the entire housing industry

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I hope airbnb and uber crash and burn causing libertarians to moan about regulation

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no mephedrone was plant food. mdpv was bath salts, at least in the UK where it blew the gently caress up in the aughts. there it was almost all online sales - greymarket ish vendors with names like ravegardener played up the wink wink nature of meph which for real was MASSIVE. like if you could buy cocaine that was also ecstasy for like £10 a gram. “plant food” and “bath salts” were chosen because they were vaguely organic and nontoxic - you have to declare it as something not for human consumption and there aren’t a lot of non-threatening options - see also poppers as “room odourizers”. meph was absurdly popular and lead to a bunch of UK politicians and pundits going “you shouldn’t do it it’s food for plants not people!” to my endless amusement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
https://mobile.twitter.com/KryptykHex/status/1005079233075515393

• Locked thread