Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

On meeting room signage, we have an iPad based setup for some years now, and many of the devices have changed shape. If they are bulging they should be taken down immediately??

Don't use devices with internal battery for permanent installs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Antioch posted:

I can't blame them for anything though, the place was desperately understaffed, with one guy basically in charge is infrastructure for the last year. Hard to make any progress when you're working 10s keeping the lights on. I'm excited to get into some proper projects.

This is the boat I'm in. My boss was the sole-IT guy for 3 years before I got here. Our IT deficit is still huge almost 2 years later because, well, we've doubled the number (or more) of PC's/users, setup about 30 projects for various departments, are pushing more tickets/workload at our site than all other sites in the company combined, and have projects pushed down from corporate that waste our time. Its great.

One foot out the door and testing the waters already. Got hosed on raise/bonus last year, hopefully not sticking around to get hosed again this year.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Kashuno posted:

How do you folks go about getting estimates for that kind of stuff? We have an on-prem SQL server that we do most of our reporting from, but I've been curious about putting it on Azure. I've got no idea what it would cost me, and other than "here are the current SQL server specs" I'm not sure how to get into the details of it.

Azure has a pricing calculator (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/calculator/) you can use to get estimates of monthly costs. You can get either a VM with SQL Server installed on it (add a standard VM and change the type to SQL Server) or a PaaS instance which has a couple different options. Thankfully they added a pricing model that goes by core since DTUs make little sense to me. I'm not anywhere near a DBA though so someone who actually works with databases would probably have a better grasp.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

nielsm posted:

On meeting room signage, we have an iPad based setup for some years now, and many of the devices have changed shape. If they are bulging they should be taken down immediately??

Yeah those batteries are going to start leaking soon.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

nielsm posted:

Holy poo poo

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

nielsm posted:

To be explicit: buldging lithium batteries are an immediate fire risk. Lookup lithium battery fire, it's not something you can put water on. (Well, you can, it will technically make it go to completion faster.)

It's different from buldging lead acid batteries that let off poisonous gas or explosive gas. Keeping your space mildly ventilated will solve those until they start leaking.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Anyone know if there are any tools to scan for GDPR compliance stuff on your websites? Stumbled upon this cookiebot service but maybe there is something free or whatever.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Kashuno posted:

How do you folks go about getting estimates for that kind of stuff? We have an on-prem SQL server that we do most of our reporting from, but I've been curious about putting it on Azure. I've got no idea what it would cost me, and other than "here are the current SQL server specs" I'm not sure how to get into the details of it.

This should help https://dtucalculator.azurewebsites.net/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nielsm posted:

aaaahahahahaha happy Friday

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

nielsm posted:

lol

I've spent the past few days fixing about 70 iPads used for office signage, cuz JAMF managed ebooks borked them all horribly.

Thankfully exploding batteries will no longer be something I need to worry about soon! Putting in my notice Tuesday and then I'm :yotj:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Fool posted:

I need recommendations for digital signage + meeting room status setups. Must integrate with O365

Our group is using meetio room software to integrate with our conference rooms in O365, and then we have vidabox wall mounts with samsung tablets inside. I don't work in the big offices where we have these, but they looked cool when I visited and seem to work well.

https://getmeetio.com/meetio-room/

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

:drat:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Putting in my notice Tuesday and then I'm :yotj:

:toot:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I want to meet whoever added the cursive font to Skype for business. No particular reason. I just want to meet them in person.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I want to meet whoever added the cursive font to Skype for business. No particular reason. I just want to meet them in person.

I'd like to meet the guy who came up with the newer mailchimp logo, too

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Bob Morales posted:

Mail Chimyo logo looking good

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bob Morales posted:

MaieChimup

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Mail...kympe?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mail Chimys

I'll have two with extra queso

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao that somebody got paid a poo poo ton of cash to redesign that

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It really saddens me to think about how much someone got paid to say ihop should be ihob.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
The last couple of posts have made me laugh as I recall the whole “shmushmuf eat eggs” saga.

:discourse:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sass Moth Eat The Egg

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

bull3964 posted:

It really saddens me to think about how much someone got paid to say ihop should be ihob.

They got you and everyone else who has brought it up to start talking about the place. So it seems like it’s working.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I love IHOP’s banana Nutella crepes

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It costs like 14 bucks there for a below average sized American breakfast. They can eat my entire rear end.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

skooma512 posted:

It costs like 14 bucks there for a below average sized American breakfast. They can eat my entire rear end.
You just made that up right? Because their portions are colossal short of any place like Denny's. All of my other options around here are artisan, locally sourced yada yada options where I can get some sort of organic single pancake for $8. The split decision at IHOP is everything you'd want for only $8.50.

IHOP isn't the best tasting breakfast, but saying it's expensive or tiny portions is capital W wrong.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You just made that up right? Because their portions are colossal short of any place like Denny's. All of my other options around here are artisan, locally sourced yada yada options where I can get some sort of organic single pancake for $8. The split decision at IHOP is everything you'd want for only $8.50.

IHOP isn't the best tasting breakfast, but saying it's expensive or tiny portions is capital W wrong.

Their omlettes are a meal in and of themselves, and you also get three pancakes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It’s reasoanble. Like 8 bucks for pancakes or crepes and two eggs two meat and hash browns

It’s not dirt cheap like the local diner but I don’t smell like bacon grease for the rest of the day.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have no clue what anyone is ordering when they order 14 bucks in breakfast at ihop.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Man I wish it was 8.50. I can't cite absolute specifics, but I had a fairly basic breakfast (bacon/sausage, eggs, hash browns, pancakes) and it was well north of 10 bucks and the portion sizes didn't exactly blow me away.

Maybe it's a regional thing. I'm in Los Angeles.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

skooma512 posted:

Man I wish it was 8.50. I can't cite absolute specifics, but I had a fairly basic breakfast (bacon/sausage, eggs, hash browns, pancakes) and it was well north of 10 bucks and the portion sizes didn't exactly blow me away.

Maybe it's a regional thing. I'm in Los Angeles.

prices are posted on their website, and this is listed at 8.49

https://www.ihop.com/en/menu/ihop-creations/buttermilk-biscuit-and-gravy

Next time you go in, point at the prices on the menu and insist on paying those instead of whatever your server made up on the spot?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Dafuq is an ihop? All we have is da IHOb.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 9, 2019

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Would not

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Oh good, something to cater to folks that find regular pancakes too healthy and low in calories

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I can't even imagine how many calories that thing has once you pour syrup all over it. I can feel myself getting diabetes.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

IHOP is a tad bit more expensive than Denny's (2 or 3 bucks). I went to Denny's a couple times last year and really don't like Denny's it's just no that is unless you're starving or something. IHOP is at least basic level quality and the pancakes are ok.

Breakfast aside, my boss has rightly pointed out that my reaction to stress is something that I should probably work on. It's not even for my current job I'm at now but for my long-term future and how far I'll be able to go in IT. My goal is engineering but yep I do need to learn to calm down.

Basically my reaction to the network going down at a site I'm on alone is to :derp: my brain mostly shuts off. I can usually hide that reaction but the bigger the problem. The more my ability to multitask and problem solve disappears.

I see two ways to address this. First is just more experience but that's also a costly method and not so viable in this instance. Second is to create some kind of "panic chart" that will give something to look at and steps to follow if crisis happens.

Engineers or anyone in charge of anything significant. What steps or methods do you use to handle stress?

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 9, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DropsySufferer posted:

Engineers or anyone in charge of anything significant. How do you handle that stress?

Meditation. No joke. It's real and it works. I basically spent time learning how to relax and handle anxiety/stress at at work and at all times, and panic isn't something I do anymore. Let's you learn how to keep things in perspective to solve exactly what you described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DropsySufferer posted:

IHOP is a tad bit more expensive than Denny's (2 or 3 bucks). I went to Denny's a couple times last year and really don't like Denny's it's just no that is unless you're starving or something. IHOP is at least basic level quality and the pancakes are ok.

Breakfast aside, my boss has rightly pointed out that my reaction to stress is something that I should probably work on. It's not even for my current job I'm at now but for my long-term future and how far I'll be able to go in IT. My goal is engineering but yep I do need to learn to calm down.

Basically my reaction to the network going down at a site I'm on alone is to :derp: my brain mostly shuts off. I can usually hide that reaction but the bigger the problem. The more my ability to multitask and problem solve disappears.

I see two ways to address this. First is just more experience but that's also a costly method and not so viable in this instance. Second is to create some kind of "panic chart" that will give something to look at and steps to follow if crisis happens.

Engineers or anyone in charge of anything significant. How do you handle that stress?

The world is not going to end because of whatever you are doing, poo poo breaks, that's why you have a job, your job is to fix it, not curl up in the corner and cry.

Also, experience helps, you should have a sort of mental checklist (or gently caress a written/typed checklist) of things you look at in order of probability based on the situation, this gets better and more honed over time.

*edit* I'm not trying to sound callous, that's really what got me out of lizard brain mode, realizing that the world is not on my shoulders and if I fail to solve whatever problem in the next 20 seconds it won't explode.

Also I'm a fan of breathing exercises, they did wonders for me when I'd start to get really bad anxiety during trips.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 9, 2018