Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Sorry about your mom, Lowtax. The US healthcare system makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
so we got the heist plan, we got the breaking bad plan, we got the flee to a developing nation for better healthcare plan, and we got the get gay married plan

what other scenarios are more likely to succeed than having a reasonable healthcare system implemented?

"No Mr, CEO. I can assure you that things will become very uncomfortable for you if you fail to agree."
"Do you have my family hostage? Blackmail? God drat you this is terroristic"
"Perhaps..." *drag on a cig* "...but we will get what we want. Release the medicines immediately or we hit you where it hurts!"

*turns around an open laptop to face the suit*
*fake OS terminal codes flash*
*live feed of a masked goon holding a gun up to CEO's bank account & stock options* "mwahahahahaha!"
"NOoooooooo! You bastards! You wouldn't!!"

"oh but we would" *hands over a cut off piece of a yacht* "think carefully now"

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hell, I reckon if a good chunk of goons send $5 each that could pay for a year or two? If you're comfortable with it, get some banners up and so on to let people know. We easily spend that on a beer or some stupid poo poo and not even think about it.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Egbert Souse posted:

Lowtax, you should get in touch with as many news organizations and lawmakers as you can to get the word about your mom out into the public.

"The man responsible for the website that insulted Sarah Palin's autistic daughter, spawned 4chan.org, and was responsible for creating the urban legend that led 2 teens to commit murder...needs your help."

"We now go live to Pam in Missouri. Pam?"

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Who What Now posted:

Has she tried not having leukemia?

Yeah she's not very good at it.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Another thread the other day said somethingawful was worth like 50 million. Just sell some stock and use some of the stock sales to pay for the cancer.

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking
Meanwhile the opposition party just got standing orders not to talk about single payer healthcare #TheResistance #DTA

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I say it a lot but DSA is the way to go 🌹

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I hear medical tourism is big this century

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting
Sorry to hear that Taxman, american healthcare seems like a hellhole.

I don't know what investigation phase your mom's meds are at, but I could suggest you look for the compound/drug name in clinicaltrials.gov, and see if theres an open study site where you could try to enroll her. Most investigation sites give their patients free consults (according to the study protocol), they administer the drug (For free!) and in case there's a medical emergency BIG PHARMA usually takes the bill. (She may get a placebo though, so tread lightly)

Granted you did say her leukemia is pretty rare so she might have already finished a trial, but maybe you could find another one in Canada or Mexico and keep her treated!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I say it a lot but DSA is the way to go 🌹
actually DTA is the way to go

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

im so happy to be swedish

how have u guys not fuckin rebelled agains big pharma yet

are americans just completely passive and complacent?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
p much yeah. i mean so are swedes though so its not much of a difference on that front.

anyhow, lowtax have you considered murdering executives before your neck gives out?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fartbox posted:

America doesn't have a collective sense of identity. No one trusts their neighbors and there's a sizable portion of the population that are fascists (including pretty much the entire current administration). It's really hard to get anyone to organize and go out in the streets under those conditions.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Fartbox posted:

this is the level of american discourse on healthcare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T9fk7NpgIU

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Tbh though I am sorry for your moms tragic predicament and hope you both get as much time together as you need

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

There Bias Two posted:

America doesn't have a collective sense of identity. No one trusts their neighbors and there's a sizable portion of the population that are fascists (including pretty much the entire current administration). It's really hard to get anyone to organize and go out in the streets under those conditions.

Yeah America is as racist and corrupt as the worst shithole countries in this world but we do a good job at pretending it doesn’t exist.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Fartbox posted:

Mass propaganda.

NPR is considered the most "leftwing" of tolerable mainstream opinion in the United States. Not once in all my commuting have I heard them talk positively about single payer proposals.

On the day that bernie sanders got a dozen or so senate cosponsors for his medicare for all bill, NPR did a segment covering this news. The segment was a discussion between two people opposed to the bill talking about why the bill was unrealistic and too expensive. Not once did they bring up how almost every other developed country in the world does their healthcare and how they are on average half the cost with generally better outcomes. They did not have someone on to talk positively about the bill.

NPR is a polite fox news.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fartbox posted:

Poor American getting raped in the rear end by a rich man: "One day I'll be the one raping asses."

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

On the other hand, I have heard NPR talk about increasing the penalty for not having garbage tier health insurance to save obamacare. I've also heard them gush positively about "portable benefits packages" from startups to solve lack of healthcare coverage for uber drivers and those working in the "gig economy".

Fine people for not having healthcare coverage. A fantastic liberal idea :bravo:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

NightshadeGenitals posted:

Meanwhile the opposition party just got standing orders not to talk about single payer healthcare #TheResistance #DTA

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1005650469581197312

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

comedyblissoption posted:

Fine people for not having healthcare coverage. A fantastic liberal idea :bravo:

It's worse than that, it's literally a fine for not giving your money to the private companies that wrote the bill.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It was the least bad option that could have got passed ie it slowed but not stopped the rates at which premiums were riding. Healthcare still sucks.

We could have had single payer like a sane country but Lieberman scuttled it.

No pre-existing conditions clause was worth it.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How else do you expect the pharmaceutical money to recoup their money from R&D if there's so few cases of this rare disease

it makes economic sense to charge a lot for cures to rarer diseases

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Egbert Souse posted:

Lowtax, you should get in touch with as many news organizations and lawmakers as you can to get the word about your mom out into the public.

I think everyone know the system sucks by now.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Fartbox posted:

they're stupid and easily mislead by religion or social dogwhistling, a poor person will aggressively vote against their own interest if they think god is watching.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

How else do you expect the pharmaceutical money to recoup their money from R&D if there's so few cases of this rare disease

it makes economic sense to charge a lot for cures to rarer diseases

According to BBC News, in 2013 pharmaceutical companies enjoyed higher average profit margins than carmakers, oil and gas companies and media companies. Only banks had a profit margin comparable to Big Pharma, but Pfizer’s 42% profit margin blew every other company out of the water, prompting even a member of its own industry to say, “I wouldn’t be able to justify [those types of margins].”

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
What's the name of the med(s)?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
maybe you can buy the pills in Mexico or the dark web instead

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

According to BBC News, in 2013 pharmaceutical companies enjoyed higher average profit margins than carmakers, oil and gas companies and media companies. Only banks had a profit margin comparable to Big Pharma, but Pfizer’s 42% profit margin blew every other company out of the water, prompting even a member of its own industry to say, “I wouldn’t be able to justify [those types of margins].”

Also, profit margin is not markup so it gets worse than that. To get a profit margin of 42% the markup multiplier is 72.41%.

So on a cost of a billion dollars they make 724 million in profit.

Not sure why I quoted my own post instead of editing, too much coffee I guess.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Im glad there are companies investing in cures for rare diseases at all. Even if they are lining their pockets. Greed is powering something positive.

Better to be poor and alive than dead.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Im glad there are companies investing in cures for rare diseases at all. Even if they are lining their pockets. Greed is powering something positive.

It's the goal of most businesses to make as much money as possible, it's the job of the government to regulate it.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Do they have a money back guarantee?

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Is there anything more pitiful then a grateful slave?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

if you have family in other countries and the ability to move somewhere with sane healthcare do so. as mentioned healthcare tourism is an option. alternatively a number of countries are relatively easy to move to if you come from the “1st world” and you don’t need much to live off of. seriously consider these things. if none of these are an option absolutely set up a gofundme or some poo poo though

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Maybe your mother should have thought about how insanely hosed up our healthcare system is before she got cancer? Huh, did you ever think about that, smart guy?!

But seriously, that sucks man. Very sorry to hear. Make a GoFundMe; even if your mom won't take the money, at least GoFundMe will make a few thousand dollars off of your mother's ailing health.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

accrue debt and flee to a country hostile to America

high six
Feb 6, 2010
sell your bionic spine.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

But the poor can't afford it and will die? idgi

Also, pharma should be regulated to invest in rare drugs using profits from their wildly popular and profitable drugs that a ton of people take/pay for. Not fleecing the exceedingly unlucky few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Also, profit margin is not markup so it gets worse than that. To get a profit margin of 42% the markup multiplier is 72.41%.

So on a cost of a billion dollars they make 724 million in profit.

Not sure why I quoted my own post instead of editing, too much coffee I guess.

And this is in the current state where around half their money is spend on marketing costs. Not R&D, but just marketing.

• Locked thread