Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I thought it was implied by Ford that the tattoos were remnants of Arnold's original maze plan and he never got around to removing them, then held off on removing them entirely after Ake discovered them.

I could be wrong tho I drank a lot of wine and smoked a lot of weed last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
So Hale was just chillin in the Mesa from when she was almost scapled by Doloros, until 11 days later when Bernard and Strand show up?

Also she knew the Cradle had been blown up for 11 days (or so), so why was it a 'reveal' in the 11day timeline about that? (I know for the audience).

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

esperterra posted:

I thought it was implied by Ford that the tattoos were remnants of Arnold's original maze plan and he never got around to removing them, then held off on removing them entirely after Ake discovered them.

I could be wrong tho I drank a lot of wine and smoked a lot of weed last night.

The second ghost Nation guy 'teary' told Ake to 'hide it from them' before Ake scalped him. I'm assuming Ake was giving the symbol out.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ake scalped one of his fellow ghost nation guys in one scene (consensually). If it wasn't for tattooing him then I don't know why he would have been doing that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, good point.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I think the maze is some kind of mandala https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandala

When hosts contemplate it there is some programming Arnold embedded deep in them that helps them develop consciousness

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Just a little aside here, a Youtuber I follow, Adam the Woo, visited the set of Escalante, the town with the church and the site of both of Dolores's massacres. He mistakenly says that only the church was used in Westworld, but in fact the entire street was used. What's really cool is that it is part of a public national park and anyone can walk around and explore it fore free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt2T8kyPPtg

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Just a little aside here, a Youtuber I follow, Adam the Woo, visited the set of Escalante, the town with the church and the site of both of Dolores's massacres. He mistakenly says that only the church was used in Westworld, but in fact the entire street was used. What's really cool is that it is part of a public national park and anyone can walk around and explore it fore free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt2T8kyPPtg

Yeah, that town has been in pretty much every Spaghetti Western and a few episodes of Carnivale, even!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sky_Ranch

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JaySB posted:

1. He's been drawing/carving it on everything for 30+ years.
2. Trauma is part of being woke. Getting scalped I'm sure is traumatic.

I know what you mean but calling this "getting woke" is hilarious.

"Ghost Nation is woke as gently caress, brah"

ED: I really wish more episodes were like this during the season. There's been some aggressively stupid poo poo.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 11, 2018

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I bugs me more that they are standing. It takes massive amount of processing logic to stand. What's the first thing that goes wrong with bipedal robots today? They fall over a lot.
It's a better visual the way they did it.

Anyway, I think this might be my favorite episode of the entire series.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

It's a better visual the way they did it.

Anyway, I think this might be my favorite episode of the entire series.

also cheaper because they just have a bunch of extras stand in a room instead of building shelves or whatever

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ArmZ posted:

also cheaper because they just have a bunch of extras stand in a room instead of building shelves or whatever

"I'm gonna be in Westworld, check it out."

"Dude, I saw your dick, what the gently caress."

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I wonder how much the extras that have to get in a big naked body pile are paid.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

drunken officeparty posted:

I wonder how much the extras that have to get in a big naked body pile are paid.
background actor scale. they say nothing and faces are barely visible. Westworld casting calls leak sometimes and it's always like:

-must be comfortable being naked in front of others.
-must be comfortable touching others genitals.
-must be comfortable holding contorted poses for extended periods while naked and touching others genitals.
-and it just goes on like that

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Chad Ghost Warrior vs virgin normie brave

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

background actor scale. they say nothing and faces are barely visible. Westworld casting calls leak sometimes and it's always like:

-must be comfortable being naked in front of others.
-must be comfortable touching others genitals.
-must be comfortable holding contorted poses for extended periods while naked and touching others genitals.
-and it just goes on like that

the union hasn't negotiated a standard nudity rate???? terrible representation!!!

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Do native Americans really speak their own language that slowly yuh or is it just because the actor are reciting lines in a language they don't know? I feel like it's the same in every show or movie I've seen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

nickmeister posted:

Do native Americans really speak their own language that slowly yuh or is it just because the actor are reciting lines in a language they don't know? I feel like it's the same in every show or movie I've seen.

Zahn McLarnon is Lakota, so maybe you can tweet at him.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

ArmZ posted:

the union hasn't negotiated a standard nudity rate???? terrible representation!!!

There was a big controversy prior to S1 when the casting call for nudes got leaked and they were paid standard extra rates, but because of the balleyhoo they got a raise:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/westworld-sexually-explicit-casting-contract-828287

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure it was a stylistic choice, and it was effective.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Cojawfee posted:

Zahn McLarnon is Lakota, so maybe you can tweet at him.

Good idea. I'll ask him later and see if he responds.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nickmeister posted:

Zahn McLarnon isn't a native Lakota speaker and needed help from a language coach to prepare for his role in the show.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fun Fact: Zahn McLarnon is half Irish!

ArmZ posted:

just got to watch the ep. it was good. I hope mclarnon gets more good roles in the future.

On Longmire he plays an rear end in a top hat Rez cop who it turns out has a heart of gold (and justice). On The Son he plays a warrior who captures Young Pierce Brosnan, first as a slave, then as his surrogate father teaching him Native ways. He kills it in both.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Astroman posted:

Ah, that's where he got those sweet little manboobs from!

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Astroman posted:

On Longmire he plays an rear end in a top hat Rez cop...

never struck me as an rear end in a top hat, just someone who had to be above reproach given his job and background. it turned to static with walt, but let's be honest, longmire is a dirty cop. great lawman though.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Varance posted:

Ake accidentally shutting down or not knowing how to re-engage cold storage is probably the reason why the cooling system failed prior to the events of the first episode of the first season, in which case, bravo for having that level of continuity. It's a bit of a stretch, though.

That happened ~10 years after Arnold's death (they mention Ake had been out there 9 years - when they created the Ghost Nation - and was seriously out of date) and Arnold's death is what ~25-30 years before the events of the main plot of the show.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

nickmeister posted:

There was an interview several pages ago: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/06/zahn-mcclarnon-westworld-breaks-down-his-tour-de-f.html

McClarnon says that he can speak it, but he's not fluent and had a dialect coach help.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Astroman posted:

On Longmire he plays an rear end in a top hat Rez cop who it turns out has a heart of gold (and justice). On The Son he plays a warrior who captures Young Pierce Brosnan, first as a slave, then as his surrogate father teaching him Native ways. He kills it in both.

He was great in Longmire. I’m glad he’s been getting so much work in the last few years.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

nickmeister posted:

etalian posted:

Zahn McLarnon isn't a native Lakota speaker and needed help from a language coach to prepare for his role in the show.

geeves posted:

There was an interview several pages ago: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/06/zahn-mcclarnon-westworld-breaks-down-his-tour-de-f.html

McClarnon says that he can speak it, but he's not fluent and had a dialect coach help.

Thanks for the interview link.

I had written then deleted something in a previous post about how I didn't think McLarnon was a fully fluent speaker based on his cadence and sometimes his consonants weren't as guttural as they should be. That is entirely typical for someone of his generation - he spent time on Lakota reservations and so would have been exposed to the language as a kid. It's common for Lakota to have partial but not full fluency. His parents' generation would have been subjected to the worst of the boarding school years, where many Natives where shipped off to boarding schools and literally beaten if they spoke their language and taught to be ashamed of everything Native. They were also banned from practicing many traditional rituals like the Sun Dance, it was pretty brutal repression and cultural genocide.

In my experience, many Lakota age 70+ are fluent and often spoke it as their first language at home. Then the next generation (age 40-60 or so) is partly fluent because they heard it some but due to the boarding schools many parents didn't pass on the language. Then you get to the 1970s and the American Indian Movement when government laws enforcing repression were repealed, boarding schools shut down, tribal colleges established, etc. So, the language and culture has experienced a revival in the last few decades but it partially skipped McLarnon's generation.

A fully fluent/native speaker would speak faster but it's tough to pronounce if you're mostly a native English speaker. There are a lot of guttural consonants and combinations of consonants not found in English (kshto, gmu, hla, gna, kpo, kte, gpo, mni as some example syllables) plus tons of nasal vowels. I can pronounce it ok but slowly, it's hard to produce the sounds rapidly without a lot of practice.

*disclaimer* I am not remotely an expert, my knowledge is based on going to tribal schools, living on the rez, and now working at a tribal college where I've taken two language and a culture course. I'm familiar with the basics but am not Lakota.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Why did Ake so readily hand over William to his daughter? Seemed a little haphazard

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Why did Ake so readily hand over William to his daughter? Seemed a little haphazard

Didn't want the liability of having him around anyway

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
He also sort of saved William. He likely would have died if nobody had found him.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Didn't want the liability of having him around anyway

The liability of him dying on his watch, I assume you mean. The show did forget to show us them doing anything about William getting shot a bunch.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Ake is not vengeful or violent, despite the show previously stereotyping the Ghost Nation this way. They were simply following their narratives to not get caught and mindfuck by QA.

But left to his own choices he'd rather William, or anybody for that matter, not die. No matter what choices were made in previous lives.

I really want to know what ghost nation wanted with Sizemore though. Maeve wasn't interesting enough at the time but they sure wanted Sizemore in their camp. Knowing now they weren't going to simply murder him, what was the plan?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I thought this episode was garbage, personally

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ake is not vengeful or violent, despite the show previously stereotyping the Ghost Nation this way. They were simply following their narratives to not get caught and mindfuck by QA.

But left to his own choices he'd rather William, or anybody for that matter, not die. No matter what choices were made in previous lives.

I thought Ake said something to the effect that he didn't let William die so he could make him suffer more, as death was too easy a release (?). And then his daughter waltzes in and says she's gonna gently caress him up worse and that's proof enough to let him go? And now I'm losing track of the timelines -- didn't his daughter escape from the Ghost Nation earlier? Or does that happen later? In any event it's not like a major issue, but just kind of feels overall sloppy how they're giving William some serious plot armor when the whole point of his plot this season has been that he doesn't have armor anymore...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I really want to know what ghost nation wanted with Sizemore though. Maeve wasn't interesting enough at the time but they sure wanted Sizemore in their camp. Knowing now they weren't going to simply murder him, what was the plan?

I'm wondering if Ghost Nation's interest in acquiring as many real humans as possible was trying to get intel on finding the door/accessing the real world. They wanted Sizemore, they captured Stubbs and William's daughter...

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I thought this episode was garbage, personally

To me this felt like a great episode of a different season of this show. Some kind of alternative Season 2.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

wrong

"Death is a passage from this brutal world.
You don't deserve the exit."

"Then why heal him?
I want him to hurt.
We want the same thing. But my way will be much, much worse."

Aki and his band are plenty violent and vengeful.

They actually do a really good job of portraying traditional Lakota attitudes towards conflict and resolution. It's rather all-or-nothing, if you want to war with us we will gently caress you up. If you want a peace, we will hold the treaty sacred to an incredible degree.

That's largely why the Sioux (Lakota, Dakota, Nakota groups) are understandably raw about how the Treaty of Laramie agreements have been repeatedly abrogated by the US federal government. They were made a promise of a large tract of unceded land, that was repeatedly annexed and reduced by the US gov't.

Oh, the Black Hills are sacred to you? Too bad, we found gold there and we're going to annex it to make room for white settlers.

The Lakota position is basically: look, you made these treaty agreements then repeatedly broke them. What the gently caress? Give us our land back per your treaty, assholes.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There are other seasons... and this season is not the right one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Pellisworth posted:

wrong

"Death is a passage from this brutal world.
You don't deserve the exit."

"Then why heal him?
I want him to hurt.
We want the same thing. But my way will be much, much worse."

I assumed Ake was lying here to keep up the ghost nation facade to humans, and that Willam was a means to get information about the door. Like Sizemore, and William's daughter. They let all three roll in and get away despite having means to capture them repeatedly.

Though my theory could also easily be due to bad plot armor bullshit. Occams razor and all...

E: to my point, the hosts are off their leashes. Do we have any confirmed human kills from the ghost nation? Ake saw Ford had died, got his people together, and haven't been shown to hurt anybody. The only arrows we see used were a lovely trap.

Dolores even kills a ghost nation dude saying he didn't deserve to make it. Something she says about hosts not willing to murder for their freedom.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 12, 2018