Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The way it works, from watching playthroughs, is that being in a crowd drastically lowers the perceptiveness of enforcers. Noticeably, nearly every security guard in Miami appears to enforce the guard disguise, but if one of the patrolling guards is about to turn toward you it's possible to just push into a crowd and go completely unnoticed, meaning you can use the guard disguise somewhat freely provided you take a second to hide from other guards when they're looking your way. It also appears to be very easy to lose agitated people who have spotted you by weaving through some crowds. No idea how helpful it is on hostile enemies though.

If anything it seems rather overpowered in the demo build. Hiding in the middle of a crowd will cause an enforcer to just walk blindly past like they're not even suspicious. Granted, it's an extraordinarily public event (even moreso than Paris) so the crowds may not be as thick on other maps and thus not as helpful. It may even be necessary to some extent; Miami has so many crowds that I'm genuinely curious how 90% of the random NPCs could work as custom contract targets, as they're absolutely surrounded by people at every angle.

Also worth noting: Containers seem to be far less commonplace in the demo build. Could be to avoid distractions for players, but the ones that do exist are so strategically-placed that it might be a deliberate nerf to body hiding spots. Also very little water in the expo area to shove people into, though I imagine the boardwalk area (which is closed off in the demo) probably has a nice big edge to shove people into the Atlantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Now I haven't actually watched the videos, but I must admit I have a hard time seeing how hiding in crowds would ever be particularly overpowered - given that crowds are usually the least useful place to be in Hitman. It kinda sounds like the idea is to expand on the puzzle of how to get poo poo from one place on the map to another, in this case guard uniforms. Mobile crowds chasing down a celebrity, being guided on a tour or let backstage, could mix things up a bit.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh you have no idea. Basically, several multipart challenges got tweaked, including Angel of Death. Before the update, you had to do the whole level start to finish in one run. More importantly, an oversight in the patch relocks and closes off the challenge, making it impossible to 100% if the update hit while you were working on it.

For context, Jobbo Fett is running a mostly violent, low-effort playthrough of Absolution for ChaosArgate's 2016 LP thread. I, a masochist, am posting detailed information about the gameplay, design, development, and mechanics to accompany it.

AMA.

:stare:

Discendo Vox posted:

"Ellen Page needs a longer skirt"
Why was she wearing a schoolgirl outfit in the first place?! The scripts for Absolution were originally a snuff film of this character- the story is of 47 watching her get mutilated, tortured, raped, and killed and going on a grindhousey murder streak in response. It was dire,

Discendo Vox posted:

god, where to start. To avoid stealing thunder, I'll wait on posting the "making of" documentary that's my source for most of this.

Things that stand out from a writing perspective:
1. Victoria was going to be raped by one set of targets, then murdered by another set of targets, all pretty early in the game, probably roughly where the LP is at this point. Most of it was going to be a revenge plot grindhouse thing. Victoria was going to narrate the whole game, as a ghost or something. That's why you hear her in the main menu.

The hitman series has always had gender and representation issues, but even as released, absolution was like a bazillion times worse than anything that came before.

2. 47 was going to be a) homeless, b) alcoholic, c) prone to self-harm, d) losing all of his clone abilities and aging/dying/not healing properly, oh, and e) was going to kill himself at the end of the story, which was going to be the opening scene. Gonna do the ol' Solid Snake barrel swallowing routine, iirc. This is why 47 looks old and has dumb scar tissue cutscenes.

All of these were going to be true, simultaneously.

3. The whole game was going to be conveyed with the narrative conceit of being sung by a lounge singer.

Those are the bits that are most abhorrent at first glance, in a "why do this" way, but they're also just the tip of the iceberg.

Who thought any of this was a remotely good idea?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Wondering if being in a crowd will let us use the syringes without being noticed

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

The concept of a sleazy low budget revenge movie themed Hitman game is incredible, its a shame that the execution wasnt so good.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

I am very glad that the series has gone down the road of 'suit man getting the perfect kill in the VIP lounge' instead of 'thug settling gang disputes in decaying grindhouse America'

And on that note some of the Chicago music is straight up James Bond and it's awesome :coal:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think the thing is that the whole "grindhouse" thing was not a good fit for Hitman as a series. It's always flirted with sleaze, but it was usually more in the style of like, the Playboy mansion rather than back-alley strip clubs. It was showing the excesses of the wealthy rather than the filthiest, lowliest scum of the earth. 47 doesn't make his money drowning meth addicts in public toilets.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

HORMELCHILI posted:

The concept of a sleazy low budget revenge movie themed Hitman game is incredible, its a shame that the execution wasnt so good.

Ugh, you know I genuinely really hate the way that some videogames try to cultivate the whole grungy B-movie thing with all of the dreadful undertones and lousy shock value, but none of the genuine connection to the world of low budget movies and the quaint quirks of production and creativity you'd often see as the people making them were trying to make their crazy ideas work onscreen with no money. Games like Absolution are pretty lovely and unsatisfying simulacrums of those sorts of movies in my experience.

I didn't like the Kane and Lynch or Manhunt games for the same reason.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Nckdictator posted:

People who probably watched too many Tarantino movies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Didn't Kane and Lynch 2 by the same devs go for that grindhouse aesthetic and everyone hated it?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't Kane and Lynch 2 by the same devs go for that grindhouse aesthetic and everyone hated it?

Yes, it was a difficult game to simply watch being played with the handheld camera gimmick and nauseatingly overused lens flare and other effects.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sounds like someone on the dev team drastically overestimated its appeal.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

See I don't like that angle much myself but I can accept there are places where it works; Kane and Lynch was always about that, the Max Payne series has always been very much had that angle, etc.. but Hitman just isn't the right fit for it, regardless of the genre's own merits or not. Hitman is, as said, about the excesses of the wealthy, the glamour of high society's events (the more cosmopolitan and international the better), the connected and powerful, and (although the Cold War is over) the high-stakes games of international spycraft in the mold of le Carré and Fleming.

I may have mentioned it before but I recently had a dream about a Hitman level in an airport and it seems like an exceptionally good location. Good job, subconscious!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Unlucky7 posted:

I am plaything through the base campaign, and I am wondering if I should max out the mastery of an area before moving on. Paris is a bit hard to go back to (I think i need to start revealing challenges now), but I do want those remote explosives.

I recommend playing to some familiarity with each level, in order, then moving on. The game is remarkably well designed in that there are several "utility unlocks" in every mission that will provide real leverage in other missions.

Drunken Baker posted:

It'd be hard to do because you'd only ever really have one shot at the actual wrestling match unless you made it a House Show and fudged the reality of the world and say it's a practice run or something? It needs some ironing out.

Most missions get around this by having rehearsals- think the opera mission in Blood Money.

That said, there's a reason to maybe not pick up Absolution again; it seems as if the Contracts mode servers just went down, and I don't know if they're coming back up.

Mierenneuker posted:

Speaking of the wrestling show in Absolution, somebody made a contract for that mission where: 1) you had to kill a guy at the entrance to the level, and 2) escape without being spotted and such. I played the contract and I really didn't get it how it was possible. Until I watched a run for it on YouTube and it was great. Now it wasn't spectacular to watch, it was just an clusterfuck of the AI being dumb and exploiting distractions while walking through the crowd. Anyone remember the name for that contract? I don't want to reinstall Absolution again, but I'd love to see that run one more time.

Ah yes, "The Impossible Target". Word online is the original solution (can't find a video) involved some sort of door pathing glitch on top of sound lures that wasn't very consistent. The second solution was to take advantage of a sort of gap in the sound penetration geometry to lure the target to an area immediately above where he starts. Eventually, as knowledge of the AI improved, things got optimized. You can see the roots of current coin-chain exploits being developed in those videos.

I've got a superpro Absolution challenge run video series I'm waiting to post for the end of Jobbo's LP. prenatual completely broke Absolution in every way it can be- although even he couldn't get perfect runs, one level is flat impossible to do suit only without being spotted.

Nckdictator posted:

The same people who wrote asian stereotype prostitutes, ugly hag female hotel staff NPCs, mystic primitive rainforest natives and buying guards blowjobs in Codename 47, setting a contract with Sikh guards on the site of an infamous historical Sikh massacre in Silent Assassin, stripper angels, child-panty-sniffing G-men and incest rapist gay Southern riverboat captain/gang leaders and, um, the entire intro tutorial level in Blood Money.

They were always like this. We collectively weren't culturally sensitive enough to acknowledge it was a problem. Absolution just made the problem impossible to ignore by removing any distraction in the form of good gameplay.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 14, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate posted:

I may have mentioned it before but I recently had a dream about a Hitman level in an airport and it seems like an exceptionally good location. Good job, subconscious!

I feel like a cool level would be some kind of huge private plane where you assassinate your target mid-flight. Escape options could be parachuting out or if you do everything full SA, you just return to your seat and ride out the rest of the flight with noone the wiser.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
a huge plane you say?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

The same people who wrote asian stereotype prostitutes, ugly hag female hotel staff NPCs, mystic primitive rainforest natives and buying guards blowjobs in Codename 47, setting a contract with Sikh guards on the site of an infamous historical Sikh massacre in Silent Assassin, stripper angels, child-panty-sniffing G-men and incest rapist gay Southern riverboat captain/gang leaders and, um, the entire intro tutorial level in Blood Money.

They were always like this. We collectively weren't culturally sensitive enough to acknowledge it was a problem. Absolution just made the problem impossible to ignore by removing any distraction in the form of good gameplay.
Given Absolution, I wonder if the other Hitmans also had far more hosed-up stories/missions at some point.

As for your second paragraph, I think even with good gameplay the game would have received a lot of flack. The game was widely criticized before anyone had even played it, and previous Hitmans were used as evidence that there was no reason to believe the game would be an effective exploration of the exploitative themes it was evoking. All having bad gameplay did was reducing the number of casual defenders, making the proportion of people defending the game because of rather than in spite of that poo poo greater.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There's a digital Absolution art-book which features some of the concept art of 47 looking like a bum. It was included with the special edition, but you can probably find it online.

khwarezm posted:

Yes, it was a difficult game to simply watch being played with the handheld camera gimmick and nauseatingly overused lens flare and other effects.

I think it worked perfectly for Kane & Lynch 2, where you are stuck in a world of thugs and crime-bosses and the back-alleys they thrive in. I don't think it would work for Hitman, where you usually are in a glossy world with the ugly parts hidden beneath the surface.

Discendo Vox posted:

That said, there's a reason to maybe not pick up Absolution again; it seems as if the Contracts mode servers just went down, and I don't know if they're coming back up.

Ah yes, "The Impossible Target". Word online is the original solution (can't find a video) involved some sort of door pathing glitch on top of sound lures that wasn't very consistent. The second solution was to take advantage of a sort of gap in the sound penetration geometry to lure the target to an area immediately above where he starts. Eventually, as knowledge of the AI improved, things got optimized. You can see the roots of current coin-chain exploits being developed in those videos.

I've got a superpro Absolution challenge run video series I'm waiting to post for the end of Jobbo's LP. prenatual completely broke Absolution in every way it can be- although even he couldn't get perfect runs, one level is flat impossible to do suit only without being spotted.

Oh, thank you. I think the video I originally watched had a lot of crowd fuckery, but that is definitely the contract I was talking about. Those two videos are way more elegant, it is amazing how far that target got lured by throwing a bottle at the ceiling.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If they really want to do a grungy murderer thing they could do a spinoff or something. Kinda funny that the Hitman game formula doesn't need 47, but he's so iconic in his own way that the series wouldn't be the same without him at all. Though would be interesting to have different characters to explore the world and opportunities from perspectives other than a generically white bald guy, with different opportunities for impersonation and blending in. (Heck, IAGO would be a nice setup for a female assassin's origin story)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If they really want to do a grungy murderer thing they could do a spinoff or something. Kinda funny that the Hitman game formula doesn't need 47, but he's so iconic in his own way that the series wouldn't be the same without him at all. Though would be interesting to have different characters to explore the world and opportunities from perspectives other than a generically white bald guy, with different opportunities for impersonation and blending in. (Heck, IAGO would be a nice setup for a female assassin's origin story)
The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that Hitman is probably one of the rare series where having both a male and female character is sort of required to fully explore the basic concept of the games. Like, it's a game about social stealth, leaving out the female side of social interactions is just leaving you with less things to work with. It'd also be an "easy" way to make a mission feel fresh for longer, if the two characters don't have the same opportunities for infiltration - and obviously that would also dovetail nicely with a co-op system.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Diana and 47 should tag-team each other on assignments, with one doing the briefings and research, and the other does the fieldwork.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

double nine posted:

Diana and 47 should tag-team each other on assignments, with one doing the briefings and research, and the other does the fieldwork.

Me and my girlfriend have this running joke that 47 doesn't actually exist and it's all Diana doing these incredible assassinations, but nobody at the ICA believes she's capable of doing any of that so she had to invent her own "hitman-sona" to take the credit, complete with a ludicrous backstory that she keeps adding to.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

double nine posted:

That wouldn't be very fair to 47, now would it? Just look at all the effort he has to put into getting a clean kill, and then compare that to:

Victim: Good day, ma'am, and who might you be?
Diana: ❄️❄️Diana.❄️❄️

Newspaper: [Victim] was found dead in his home earlier today, apparently victim to a sudden localised cold snap that has left meteorologists stumped.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

My favorite dumb thing about Absolution is the mission where you disguise yourself as a luchador, fight a giant Danny Trejo lookalike, and 47 unmasks himself in front of an entire audience and that still counts as Silent Assassin for some dumb reason.

Absolution was dumb and I'm sure it was originally supposed to be a third Kane & Lynch game that was retooled into a Hitman game.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 14, 2018

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Absolution was dumb and I'm sure it was originally supposed to be a third Kane & Lynch game that was retooled into a Hitman game.

Well, the game DOES let you murder both Kane and Lynch if you want. I'm one of the few people who enjoyed those games, but I have to say the world would be a better place without those two gently caress ups.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that Hitman is probably one of the rare series where having both a male and female character is sort of required to fully explore the basic concept of the games. Like, it's a game about social stealth, leaving out the female side of social interactions is just leaving you with less things to work with. It'd also be an "easy" way to make a mission feel fresh for longer, if the two characters don't have the same opportunities for infiltration - and obviously that would also dovetail nicely with a co-op system.

That would honestly be really fascinating seeing how the social stealth mechanics would result in totally different playthroughs based on which gender you chose since the disguises and opportunities would be completely different. You could have the choice of gender have subtle but meaningful gameplay ramifications that are perfectly easy to justify in a way that has absolutely no intrinsic reason to come across as misogynistic. Holy poo poo, now I really want this to happen, I know its uncharacteristic for me to say bring back something from Absolution, but they could just use that Victoria character as 47's counterpart.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

My favorite dumb thing about Absolution is the mission where you disguise yourself as a luchador, fight a giant Danny Trejo lookalike, and 47 unmasks himself in front of an entire audience and that still counts as Silent Assassin for some dumb reason.

Great Moments in Stealth Gameplay! See also this video.

Mierenneuker posted:

There's a digital Absolution art-book which features some of the concept art of 47 looking like a bum. It was included with the special edition, but you can probably find it online.

I'll be posting a link to a video of that when I wrap up my infoposts for Jobbo's LP materials. As far as I can tell, Absolution was always a hitman game, but it underwent comical, Duke Nukem Forever levels of scope creep in design, story and content. The leads and asset devs merrily built out concept after concept, fully finishing levels, costumes, music, parallel videos, etc that were never used. The only reason the game was released (and why it wasn't half as offensive as its original design) was the publishers came in and forced them to finish it and make it less than AO.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Given Absolution, I wonder if the other Hitmans also had far more hosed-up stories/missions at some point.

At a minimum I can confirm that a bunch of concepts, like the priest outfit, that were planned for Blood Money and cut for time wound up being used in Absolution.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 14, 2018

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yesterday I went to the sauna at my hotel, alone, stayed a little longer than I probably should have and when I tried to get out, weakened, could not pull the door open. I must confess images from the Hokkaido level flashed before my eyes and the gross Yakuza lawyer pounding against the glass before I remembered to push instead. Felt pretty silly afterwards.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm going to buy this day one but I'm really really disappointed that they're bringing timed contracts back

C'mon devs, don't lock me out of content just because I don't feel like playing your game that particular week

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kuiperdolin posted:

Yesterday I went to the sauna at my hotel, alone, stayed a little longer than I probably should have and when I tried to get out, weakened, could not pull the door open. I must confess images from the Hokkaido level flashed before my eyes and the gross Yakuza lawyer pounding against the glass before I remembered to push instead. Felt pretty silly afterwards.

I love this story.

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm going to buy this day one but I'm really really disappointed that they're bringing timed contracts back

C'mon devs, don't lock me out of content just because I don't feel like playing your game that particular week

I feel like releasing Hitman 1's elusive contracts to do whenever we want would be a good compromise, but they probably won't do that because it would signal that they're likely to do it for 2 later on, and they want people to feel like it's a can't miss thing (even if they may repeat as a still limited time thing later on).

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I never understood people who were against the timed nature of elusive targets, beyond shitlords who will Steam downvote a game where they can't swoop in on all content for $10 a year after release.

The game is literally presenting you with the fantasy of "you must assassinate this figure. Intelligence suggests they will be in this area for the next few days. Do your reconnaissance and make the hit. Good luck agent."

Why does anybody ever play a Hitman game if not to indulge that vicarious fantasy?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't hate the idea but I do wish that after completing a "true" run of an elusive target (with your score recorded and so on), it would unlock it as a bonus challenge you can play through just for fun. They do some interesting stuff with the levels for the ETs and it's a shame you only get to see them once.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Somehow Hitman 2 got lost in the E3 blitz, but HOOOOOOLLLLY SHITTTT. I thought the franchise was dead, and my god am I going pumped for season 2.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Matinee posted:

I never understood people who were against the timed nature of elusive targets, beyond shitlords who will Steam downvote a game where they can't swoop in on all content for $10 a year after release.

The game is literally presenting you with the fantasy of "you must assassinate this figure. Intelligence suggests they will be in this area for the next few days. Do your reconnaissance and make the hit. Good luck agent."

Why does anybody ever play a Hitman game if not to indulge that vicarious fantasy?

I mean, I really like the Hitman games but sometimes I'm just not in the mood to play them at that time, or I don't have an opportunity to play for days or weeks at a time. Missing out on the opportunity to kill Gary Busey because of some arbitrary time limit makes me feel kind of cheated.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I know it won't help much, but it was actually a pretty drat lame ET.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Thundercracker posted:

Somehow Hitman 2 got lost in the E3 blitz, but HOOOOOOLLLLY SHITTTT. I thought the franchise was dead, and my god am I going pumped for season 2.

It got announced a week before E3, so it was never in the blitz to begin with.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kanye and Lynch 2 was fantastic and that series is one of the most criminally underappreciated couple of games I wish got more love. You're stealing your own poo poo?!

The co-op mode from K&L1 even had a moment where you're robbing the bank and holding down the lobby as Lynch while he starts hallucinating through a psychotic episode.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds like an entire game about Trevor from GTA5. I approve.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fuego Fish posted:

Me and my girlfriend have this running joke that 47 doesn't actually exist and it's all Diana doing these incredible assassinations, but nobody at the ICA believes she's capable of doing any of that so she had to invent her own "hitman-sona" to take the credit, complete with a ludicrous backstory that she keeps adding to.

This would make the ending of HITMAN doubly hilarious.

K-Mart G-Man: We know everything there is to know about Agent 47, Ms. Burnwood. We have details of his origin even you are unaware of.
Diana: :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Kane and Lynch loving sucked and both games were dime-a-dozen third person shooters plastered with Absolution style edginess.