Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that Hitman is probably one of the rare series where having both a male and female character is sort of required to fully explore the basic concept of the games. Like, it's a game about social stealth, leaving out the female side of social interactions is just leaving you with less things to work with. It'd also be an "easy" way to make a mission feel fresh for longer, if the two characters don't have the same opportunities for infiltration - and obviously that would also dovetail nicely with a co-op system.

Yeah I had this thought a while ago too - they could pretty easily bring Victoria back from Absolution, aged up a bit, and make her into a counterpart for 47 since they both have similar backstories (granted this kind of nullifies the whole story arc of Absolution but if anything that's probably a good thing). Could spin it as a "Leon: The Professional" type thing where the experienced 47 teaches her the tricks of the trade which would also explain why she ends up using the same silly disguise and accident tactics that 47 loves so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Taintrunner posted:

The co-op mode from K&L1 even had a moment where you're robbing the bank and holding down the lobby as Lynch while he starts hallucinating through a psychotic episode.

That is the only time they do anything with Lynch's psychosis in gameplay. The only time. Those games were a giant blaring warning sign about the design and project management malpractice to come. The only thing in either game that was innovative was the multiplayer in 2, which was admittedly quite cool.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 15, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

That is the only time they do anything with Lynch's psychosis in gameplay. The only time. Those games were a giant blaring warning sign about the design and project management malpractice to come. The only thing in either game that was innovative was the multiplayer in 2, which was admittedly quite cool.

That's the one where it's like a Payday style heist thing, except you can choose to deliberately kill your teammates and steal their loot, right?

*fake edit* I just looked up a video to confirm and yeah it is, but holy gently caress that camera is nauseating. That's not shakeycam, that's like that Doom mod that makes the camera constantly rotate.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I had this thought a while ago too - they could pretty easily bring Victoria back from Absolution, aged up a bit, and make her into a counterpart for 47 since they both have similar backstories (granted this kind of nullifies the whole story arc of Absolution but if anything that's probably a good thing). Could spin it as a "Leon: The Professional" type thing where the experienced 47 teaches her the tricks of the trade which would also explain why she ends up using the same silly disguise and accident tactics that 47 loves so much.

I doubt they will. They want to forget Absolution ever happened and I don't blame them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Discendo Vox posted:

Which is hilarious. It reminds me of Advent Rising (website: AdventTrilogy dot com) where early on in the game you have to make a decision: either save your brother, or save your girlfriend. They hyped that up in previews. In the full game that is the ONLY decision the game has. Amazing.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That's the one where it's like a Payday style heist thing, except you can choose to deliberately kill your teammates and steal their loot, right?

*fake edit* I just looked up a video to confirm and yeah it is, but holy gently caress that camera is nauseating. That's not shakeycam, that's like that Doom mod that makes the camera constantly rotate.

It's not that bad if you are the one controlling the game, you can also disable some of the visual effects. I don't remember if that includes the shakey cam.

I think K&L 2 is a misunderstood game. The first one though? Yeah, both terrible and forgettable.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I think I've brought this up before, but Kane & Lynch started off as a different kind of game to what eventually came out. I remember back when they first revealed the character art (which also changed, slightly) they said the crux of the game hinged on dealing with Lynch in a Tamagochi style way. It was single player only (multiplayer being forced in after Gears of War was a hit, I think?) and whilst you were doing these heists and hits you had to keep an eye on Lynch and either force him to take his anti-psychotics or just let him go all out mental to take the heat from you.

I think the most criminal part is, you miss out on Lynch's entire story the way the game is now unless you play through the whole thing in co-op as player 2. A lot of his backstory (though I don't think it's as deep as it should have been) was told in monologue during loading screens. And as someone who was dealing with pretty severe psychotic breaks at the time I recall a lot of hit hitting pretty close to home... I mean, not the seeing everyone as pig-headed cops. That only happened that one time. But there were some bits about him lamenting losing his family because he got sick and pleading his case (to no-one) about how he wasn't such a bad guy... And then he murders everyone.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Matinee posted:

I never understood people who were against the timed nature of elusive targets, beyond shitlords who will Steam downvote a game where they can't swoop in on all content for $10 a year after release.

The game is literally presenting you with the fantasy of "you must assassinate this figure. Intelligence suggests they will be in this area for the next few days. Do your reconnaissance and make the hit. Good luck agent."

Why does anybody ever play a Hitman game if not to indulge that vicarious fantasy?

You seem really angry about this for some reason, but even if you own the game from launch, keeping every game with 'games as a service' content on your ssd at the same time isn't very realistic. Plus sometimes you get sick of a game for a while and would just like to play the content when you're ready for it. I think they did a good job of selling the limited time content as thematic here, but it would still be nice at the end of the support life of the game for them to be released as fully replayable missions. The only reason not to do that is because it would possibly reduce FOMO for people when it comes to missing limited time content with the next game.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Sinteres posted:

You seem really angry about this for some reason, but even if you own the game from launch, keeping every game with 'games as a service' content on your ssd at the same time isn't very realistic. Plus sometimes you get sick of a game for a while and would just like to play the content when you're ready for it. I think they did a good job of selling the limited time content as thematic here, but it would still be nice at the end of the support life of the game for them to be released as fully replayable missions. The only reason not to do that is because it would possibly reduce FOMO for people when it comes to missing limited time content with the next game.

You seem angry.

Timed elusives are good and positive. Take it up with the bbb if gamers think this robs them of value they paid for.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I just don't see any positives in Elusive Targets at all

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Just got a coupon:

EARLYBIRD25

From Greenman Gaming that lets you apply 25% off of Hitman 2. Guessing from the generic name of it anyone can use it.

In case anyone asks I instantly got my code for it unlike some other GMG pre-orders that roll out just before the release.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 15, 2018

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Darkhold posted:

Just got a coupon:

EARLYBIRD25

From Greenman Gaming that lets you apply 25% off of Hitman 2. Guessing from the generic name of it anyone can use it.

In case anyone asks I instantly got my code for it unlike some other GMG pre-orders that roll out just before the release.

Does this give you a steam code immediately. Can you play the Sniper bonus game?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Yes to both.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Sold. Thanks

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I wasn't particularly angry about it. And I wasn't referring to people who may not have had the chance to catch all the ETs first time round (I missed a few myself through travel/work/life commitments), I was referring more to the very vocal reaction to the game at launch of "timed content and episodic equals BAD GAME".

That mindset is a complete failure to comprehend or engage with the design document of the game, and just smacks of entitlement.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Matinee posted:

I wasn't particularly angry about it. And I wasn't referring to people who may not have had the chance to catch all the ETs first time round (I missed a few myself through travel/work/life commitments), I was referring more to the very vocal reaction to the game at launch of "timed content and episodic equals BAD GAME".

That mindset is a complete failure to comprehend or engage with the design document of the game, and just smacks of entitlement.

BINGO!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nerds

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
The worst thing about Kane & Lynch is that it seems it was the game IO decided to make instead of making a proper sequel to Freedom Fighters.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly I don't have as much of an issue with K&L than Absolution because regardless of whether or not it's actually a good game (I've never played it), it's at least tonally consistent. The protagonists were actually written to fit the story that was being told, rather than Absolution trying to shoehorn 47 into a story that's completely inappropriate for the Hitman series.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If one guard walks into a room with ten bodies, and he doesn't normally go in that room (went there as part of his search routine, say), and he's the only one available to bag bodies, will he bag all ten one by one?

E: turns out he will, and tidy up all the guns too

Dabir fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 15, 2018

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
^^^^
I liked that if a guard sees you while hulling away a body bag and you aren't being hunted, they shoot you a dirty look and go "Yeah, I know. This is my job, alright!?"

Discendo Vox posted:

The same people who wrote asian stereotype prostitutes, ugly hag female hotel staff NPCs, mystic primitive rainforest natives and buying guards blowjobs in Codename 47, setting a contract with Sikh guards on the site of an infamous historical Sikh massacre in Silent Assassin, stripper angels, child-panty-sniffing G-men and incest rapist gay Southern riverboat captain/gang leaders and, um, the entire intro tutorial level in Blood Money.

They were always like this. We collectively weren't culturally sensitive enough to acknowledge it was a problem. Absolution just made the problem impossible to ignore by removing any distraction in the form of good gameplay.

I liked the Idea of Death of a Showman: Fat rear end in a top hat's negligence causes disaster where a whole lot of people die, manages to avoid justice but fanatically ruins himself in the process, and ends up being an somewhat unwilling partner with other bad men in order to keep the lights on.

Unfortunately, said "other bad men" ended up being "Black Drug Dealers as interpreted by Very White Game Developers"

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm a simple man with simple tastes.

I got SA on the Food Critic via breech charge/fire extinguisher.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Darkhold posted:

Just got a coupon:

EARLYBIRD25

You loving rule, dude. Thanks!

qbert posted:

I'm a simple man with simple tastes.

I got SA on the Food Critic via breech charge/fire extinguisher.

I thought I'd hosed up at the last second, because I'd choked out a security guard earlier in the mission and hidden his body by a stairwell. I used the lethal syringe on the Food Critic, headed out to the speedboat and got a "BODY FOUND!" message just as I reached it. I guess the waiter had come back for another dressing down and found the critic's body.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 16, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I really hope this new game brings back duel wielding silverballers using them to cause ragdolls to go crazy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Darkhold posted:

Just got a coupon:

EARLYBIRD25

Where does this get applied?

edit: nvm, found it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been living under a rock--what is this green man gaming thing? Do they sell you some digital code that's redeemable on Steam?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

brap posted:

I've been living under a rock--what is this green man gaming thing? Do they sell you some digital code that's redeemable on Steam?

Yes, and Green Man Gaming is a legit site. Been using it for years.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Well with 25% off I had to grab the Gold edition. cheers for the tip!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I went with the standard edition, I figure I'll have plenty of content in the basegame to keep me busy before the expansion gets released.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Super awesome. Got the gold edition with the discount.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Jerusalem posted:

I went with the standard edition, I figure I'll have plenty of content in the basegame to keep me busy before the expansion gets released.

Sup $45 Hitman 2 buddy

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I gotta say, I really like the current ET, the food critic. I haven't killed him yet (trying to work out a neat SA without resorting to fire extinguisher bullshit) but they're really good at making him so obnoxious that you really enjoy planning his murder.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Wolfsheim posted:

I gotta say, I really like the current ET, the food critic. I haven't killed him yet (trying to work out a neat SA without resorting to fire extinguisher bullshit) but they're really good at making him so obnoxious that you really enjoy planning his murder.

The character is fun but the hit is really boring, there's really just one incredibly obvious and easy way to kill him that should be clear from his profession alone but it takes loving forever for him to actually do it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He was taking forever to do anything at all so I just dropped the explosive phone next to him and took him out that way.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I thought this was the guy who was a food critic, but you couldn't poison the food because he didn't swallow or somesuch.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Discendo Vox posted:

I thought this was the guy who was a food critic, but you couldn't poison the food because he didn't swallow or somesuch.

The best part of the ET was discovering that he never actually eating or tasting the food he critiques because dining is an audiovisual experience or something. loving hilarious.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I got excited to load up Sniper Assassin and instantly became disappointed. I have an i5 6600K, 16GB of RAM and an overclocked GTX 1070 and even on the lowest settings, I get at best 40FPS with endless dropped frames so I can't even aim the sniper rifle without it jumping all over the place. Hopefully they can improve performance.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

He's basically a Yelp reviewer that made it into the big leagues.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

I got excited to load up Sniper Assassin and instantly became disappointed. I have an i5 6600K, 16GB of RAM and an overclocked GTX 1070 and even on the lowest settings, I get at best 40FPS with endless dropped frames so I can't even aim the sniper rifle without it jumping all over the place. Hopefully they can improve performance.

something is wrong, I have a worse setup and it's crushing it

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a cake in the kitchen that he eats the second time he goes down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
The Killer Shot challenge on the Sniper game seems to be bugged on the PC. Unless someone has some insight?

You're supposed to shoot out the wedding photographer's lights and activate the meeting flag. Lang and Masion are then supposed to meet in the painting room then head out to the balcony together. Only Scarf guy stays in the room in my game and all the online videos showing them going out together seem to be on consoles. Just glancing at the comments seems to confirm other people are having what I'm having unless we're all missing something