Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

QuarkJets posted:

He deliberately posted a goatse banme thread so that he'd just get a normal ban for that instead of a permaban for his pedophilia post

the thing that's really scary is that on top of being a crazy deranged pedophile he seems to be an expert doxxer

i mean if he could find out the real identities of you and divabot no one is safe:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol

Roargasm posted:

Aaro likes cardano beause its not mature yet

:chanpop:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

the Civil people are frankly loving amazing and i'm certain this will all work out swimmingly

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

quote:

Just some quick and very interesting math. $150 worth of btc today is the worlds smartest insurance plan on the future. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted an hour ago by slvbtc

Total money stock in the world is currently $84 trillion.

$84 trillion ÷ 7 billion people = $12,000

We wont have 21 million coins in existance for our lifetimes, and I am guessing if bitcoin does end up dominating as global money it will take no more than another 20 years to do so, so lets use a conservative number of bitcoins, taking into account estimates of lost coins. Call it 19,000,000.

19 million ÷ 7 billion people = 0.0027 bitcoin.

In essence this means if bitcoin works and dominates as global money sometime over the next 20 years then 0.0027 bitcoin will purchase the same amount of goods and services that $12,000 purchases today.

$12,000 × 83.33 = $1,000,000

0.0027 btc × 83.33 = 0.225 bitcoin

Conclusion:

Even you hate bitcoin you need to admit that no one knows what the future holds. So there is no way of knowing if bitcoin will work or not.

Think of bitcoin ownership as insurance on the future.

Today you can purchase 0.225 bitcoin for $1460.

If bitcoin dies well you lost some money but it wont affect your life drastically, but if bitcoin works you have guaranteed yourself a $1 million dollar "equivelant" fortune.

Today you can purchase 0.0225 bitcoin for $146.

If bitcoin works this would give you an amount of bitcoin in the future that would purchase the same as $100,000 does today. If bitcoin dies you lost $146, so what.

I know people may pick holes in this math and subsequent conclusion. But my point remains the same.

Owning even a tiny amount of bitcoin today like 0.0225 btc is insurance on the future.

Even if I thought bitcoin would never work it would be stupid of me not to buy $150 worth just incase I was wrong.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
it's like Pascal's wager but with extra :downs:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ah yes pascal's wager mixed with the bargaining stage of grief, classic

:argh::gerard::argh::gerard::argh::gerard::argh::gerard::argh::gerard::argh::gerard:

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

you should definitely invest $500 into scratch off lottery tickets. even you hate lotteries you need to admit that no one knows whether a ticket is a winner. so there is no way of knowing if you'll win or not.

if your ticket doesn't win well you lost some money but it wont affect your life drastically, but if you win you have guaranteed yourself a $1 million dollar "equivelant" fortune.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

it's easy, just create a library for every possible command/statement and chain them together dynamically to create the program at run time! simple!

note: this is what node.js developers actually believe

wasn't that literally the idea behind that "industrial" programming thing? where like, every single piece would get contracted out to subcontractors of subcontractors of subcontractors until you literally had subcontractors who were responsible for specific individual bytes so you'd be buying 0x8F or w/e through 80 levels of contracts?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
if my calculations are correct, it would be even stupider not to buy $150 of dogecoin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

wasn't that literally the idea behind that "industrial" programming thing? where like, every single piece would get contracted out to subcontractors of subcontractors of subcontractors until you literally had subcontractors who were responsible for specific individual bytes so you'd be buying 0x8F or w/e through 80 levels of contracts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6wllbEtniE

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

Oh yeah I remember that. Their website was done in the same way and it was just one big heap of completely unreadable tangled javascript mess.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

"1"

there's my contribution please give me my money now

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

if my calculations are correct, it would be even stupider not to buy $150 of dogecoin

but wouldn't that be all the dogecoin at this point?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

but wouldn't that be all the dogecoin at this point?
dogecoin still has a "market cap" of $333,350,812

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Gobbeldygook posted:

dogecoin still has a "market cap" of $333,350,812

lol just lol

\

:dukedoge:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/VickerySec/status/1008464624167968773?s=19

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Lol.

Sounds like we've mined a new block on the laffchain.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
mycrimes_guvnor

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

my_croimes.txt

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Djeser posted:

my_croimes.txt

lmao

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

spankmeister posted:

a classmate of mine went to do his thesis on basically "git but with blockchain"

I wonder how long it took him to figure out that git already is a blockchain

Git where the longest branch wins?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It could actually be a legitimate use of blockchain to track all the stories as they are published and revised to try and make a journalism site more transparent and distributed.

I doubt anyone involved in any blockchain project is smart enough to do anything useful like that, just keep pushing those ico scams.

Actually just going back to a text only news feed that I can watch update in the terminal would be really nice. gently caress the web.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 18, 2018

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I took a quick look at graphics cards, it looks like the 1080tis are still hosed, but you can get a 1080 or a 1070 for normalish prices again. I need prices to come down before the 1180ti comes out.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Pryor on Fire posted:

It could actually be a legitimate use of blockchain to track all the stories as they are published and revised to try and make a journalism site more transparent and distributed.

I doubt anyone involved in any blockchain project is smart enough to do anything useful like that, just keep pushing those ico scams.

correction: a mechanism whereby someone can irreversibly black hole something by creating a longer "more legitimate" chain starting from before the story they want gone

the inevitable failing of any purely-tech based solution to an issue is that humans are still human and will find some method of exploiting the rules, which will always necessitate other humans somewhere along the line who aren't beholden to the literal rules to say "hey wait a minute"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

I took a quick look at graphics cards, it looks like the 1080tis are still hosed, but you can get a 1080 or a 1070 for normalish prices again. I need prices to come down before the 1180ti comes out.

too bad because the 1080ti owns when you have a 4k monitor

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

correction: a mechanism whereby someone can irreversibly black hole something by creating a longer "more legitimate" chain starting from before the story they want gone

the inevitable failing of any purely-tech based solution to an issue is that humans are still human and will find some method of exploiting the rules, which will always necessitate other humans somewhere along the line who aren't beholden to the literal rules to say "hey wait a minute"

I don't really understand most of this post but surely there is some blockchain out there where you don't/can't delete old data so the revision history is always there.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

Actually just going back to a text only news feed that I can watch update in the terminal would be really nice. gently caress the web.

so git

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

but i can't get rich off git while doing nothing but holding some fictional tokens :(

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

variety jones extradited to the US

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't really understand most of this post but surely there is some blockchain out there where you don't/can't delete old data so the revision history is always there.

no, there's not, unless your blockchain is entirely centrally controlled, at which point it becomes "why the gently caress do we even need a blockchain for this" because it's horribly inefficient and provides no benefit

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

no, YOU git :mad:

ya varmint

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Having been told by legal to rebase git a couple of times to cover up some really bad poo poo pre acquisition I can assure you git is not what I'm visualizing

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

:aaa: go on...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Pryor on Fire posted:

so like many adjectives involved with bitcoin and blockchains, the "immutability" has taken on a life of it's own where people think that it can be separated from the "distributed" bit, and that is not the case

the only reason the "immutable blockchain" works is because it's distributed, ie "enough people have it that no one person can go in and manually modify it on everyone's machine"

however, this is not necessarily true, because the way the blockchain determines what the "correct" chain is, is "the longest chain is the correct one"

So let's treat this like an ouija board for a second, every letter is a block, and your blockchain looks like

"DAVID GERARD IS AN rear end"

and we're currently mining to determine whether the next block is going to be an "H" or a "W". Some people submit one, some people submit the other, so there are two possible chains:

"DAVID GERARD IS AN ASSH"
"DAVID GERARD IS AN ASSW"

The thing which will determine which one is True And Good will be whichever one is the longest one first, which is where the concept of the 51% attack comes in-- if more mining power is dedicated to making a Bad Block than a Good And True block, the Bad Block then becomes Bad Good And True and everyone is left scrambling "oh poo poo bad people have done a thing" and coin programmers start throwing shitfits and hard forking things in an attempt to "fix" a fundamental design principle of the system

So let's say your >51% of people have decided to use the "H" block, and have mined up an "O" block that includes the H block. The "W" block is now gone forever, because "DAVID GERARD IS AN ASSHO" is a longer chain than "DAVID GERARD IS AN ASSW", and once that gets propegated to everyone else, the "W" block has disappeared as if it never existed. "Immutable!"

So the 51% attack is a perpetual potential problem for crypto right now (that everyone tries to ignore because now there's literally nothing they can do about it), because inevitably the majority of mining ends up in the hands of a small number of people with access to big mining farms. But what about something that's not money based, say "some random town's voting" or "The Kansas City Tribune Newspaper Archive"? Well, if you want to go for a distributed blockchain, that inevitably means you're doing something with a proof of work system, and also inevitably means "99% of the time most of the world doesn't give a poo poo about it". But if someone does care and has the time and money to put into it? Well, in the time it takes you to mine that "O" block, BAD ACTOR WITH FIAT MONEY has hired a chinese asic farm for a day, gone back to the chain that started with "DAVID GERARD IS AN ", mined out a dozen blocks to say "DAVID GERARD IS AN COOL AND RAD GUY AND IS MY FRIEND", and hey presto your immutable blockchain is now telling the world that a filthy nocoiner is actually pretty rad because all of the distributed clients that are impossible to change reacted to "the new proper longest blockchain" changing and are mirroring it accordingly. oops

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

rude

:gerard::honked::gerard::honked::gerard::honked::gerard::honked::gerard:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Pryor on Fire posted:

Having been told by legal to rebase git a couple of times to cover up some really bad poo poo pre acquisition I can assure you git is not what I'm visualizing

the upshot is that it probably actually is, it's just that actually using that solution still requires you to be able to talk to other human beings and trust them, vs. the blockchain's "we won't trust anyone we'll just assume that the majority of people* are correct" except by people* they mean "whoever can afford more and better computers" so again, oops

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

so like many adjectives involved with bitcoin and blockchains, the "immutability" has taken on a life of it's own where people think that it can be separated from the "distributed" bit, and that is not the case

the only reason the "immutable blockchain" works is because it's distributed, ie "enough people have it that no one person can go in and manually modify it on everyone's machine"

however, this is not necessarily true, because the way the blockchain determines what the "correct" chain is, is "the longest chain is the correct one"

So let's treat this like an ouija board for a second, every letter is a block, and your blockchain looks like

"DAVID GERARD IS AN rear end"

and we're currently mining to determine whether the next block is going to be an "H" or a "W". Some people submit one, some people submit the other, so there are two possible chains:

"DAVID GERARD IS AN ASSH"
"DAVID GERARD IS AN ASSW"

The thing which will determine which one is True And Good will be whichever one is the longest one first, which is where the concept of the 51% attack comes in-- if more mining power is dedicated to making a Bad Block than a Good And True block, the Bad Block then becomes Bad Good And True and everyone is left scrambling "oh poo poo bad people have done a thing" and coin programmers start throwing shitfits and hard forking things in an attempt to "fix" a fundamental design principle of the system

So let's say your >51% of people have decided to use the "H" block, and have mined up an "O" block that includes the H block. The "W" block is now gone forever, because "DAVID GERARD IS AN ASSHO" is a longer chain than "DAVID GERARD IS AN ASSW", and once that gets propegated to everyone else, the "W" block has disappeared as if it never existed. "Immutable!"

So the 51% attack is a perpetual potential problem for crypto right now (that everyone tries to ignore because now there's literally nothing they can do about it), because inevitably the majority of mining ends up in the hands of a small number of people with access to big mining farms. But what about something that's not money based, say "some random town's voting" or "The Kansas City Tribune Newspaper Archive"? Well, if you want to go for a distributed blockchain, that inevitably means you're doing something with a proof of work system, and also inevitably means "99% of the time most of the world doesn't give a poo poo about it". But if someone does care and has the time and money to put into it? Well, in the time it takes you to mine that "O" block, BAD ACTOR WITH FIAT MONEY has hired a chinese asic farm for a day, gone back to the chain that started with "DAVID GERARD IS AN ", mined out a dozen blocks to say "DAVID GERARD IS AN COOL AND RAD GUY AND IS MY FRIEND", and hey presto your immutable blockchain is now telling the world that a filthy nocoiner is actually pretty rad because all of the distributed clients that are impossible to change reacted to "the new proper longest blockchain" changing and are mirroring it accordingly. oops

that sounds dumb you're probably just explaining it wrong

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Prepare to be destroyed by logic.

I'm an organization contemplating a quorum based database solution with any joe public allowed to contribute. Based on the fact that I'm contemplating this blockchain solution you know I'm a huge idiot. That means, if I use a conventional database, the only opinion on what data should be in that database will be mine, a known idiot.

However! If I use the quorum based solution I will have a variety of opinions about what my data should be. Since I'm dumb as poo poo, on average, those opinions will be more likely to be correct. Therefore 100% of people who consider using the blockchain should prefer it over a conventional database.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

Prepare to be destroyed by logic.

I'm an organization contemplating a quorum based database solution with any joe public allowed to contribute. Based on the fact that I'm contemplating this blockchain solution you know I'm a huge idiot. That means, if I use a conventional database, the only opinion on what data should be in that database will be mine, a known idiot.

However! If I use the quorum based solution I will have a variety of opinions about what my data should be. Since I'm dumb as poo poo, on average, those opinions will be more likely to be correct. Therefore 100% of people who consider using the blockchain should prefer it over a conventional database.

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

a public ledger that anyone can edit is called a wiki.

• Locked thread