Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bert of the Forest posted:

So what's this thread's opinion on Bethesda announcing possibly the first two AAA rogue-adjacent games since Diablo? I'll admit I'm pretty pumped about the idea of having an Elder Scrolls roguelike experience on my phone, and that Prey roguelike mode DLC is the first time I've been tempted by DLC for aaaages. (though admittedly kind of makes more sense as a standalone spinoff or something but whatever)

No ASCII mode, no buy :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tollymain posted:

card quest randomly unlocked and re-locked a bunch of stuff and i have no idea what could have caused it but boy does having things ive earned taken away and things ive yet to earn just dropped in a massive heap on my head kill the joy of playing
Isn't this like the third bug you've had playing the mac version of CQ? Because you're the only one I've heard bug reports like this from, which is pretty weird.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bert of the Forest posted:

So what's this thread's opinion on Bethesda announcing possibly the first two AAA rogue-adjacent games since Diablo? I'll admit I'm pretty pumped about the idea of having an Elder Scrolls roguelike experience on my phone, and that Prey roguelike mode DLC is the first time I've been tempted by DLC for aaaages. (though admittedly kind of makes more sense as a standalone spinoff or something but whatever)

There's been a lot of chatter about Prey: Mooncrash over in the Prey thread, and I've played it a bit. It's pretty neat.

The overall map remains the same across runs, but enemies, loot, obstacles, and the like are all randomized. One "run" is actually five characters¹ -- when one dies or escapes you pick a different one, and when all five are done the whole thing resets and re-randomizes. The ultimate goal is escape with all five characters in a single run.

The twist is that within each run, the moonbase is persistent across characters -- so stuff you loot as one character won't be available to subsequent ones, but by the same token you can (e.g.) unlock doors and repair machines to benefit later characters as well as yourself, or move items around to places that later characters will find advantageous. But don't spend too long doing that, because the longer you play the harder it gets, and there's a hard time limit -- and that too carries over from one character to the next. Letting time run out has the same effect as running out of characters, the whole thing resets.

There's also a metaprogression system, apart from the process of unlocking the characters themselves; neuromod abilities you unlock are persistent across runs, and while items aren't, anything you have a blueprint for can be purchased at the start of the run using points earned on previous runs, as well as being fabricated in-game.

I'd say it's less roguelikey and more puzzley than, say, Immortal Redneck, but you can still see the inspiration there. The other thing it reminds me of is the IF All Things Devours, with the careful coordination across runs to make sure each character has all the items and pathways they need, when they need them -- although here it's multiple characters rather than one character zigzagging back and forth across time.

¹ Once you've unlocked them all.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

There's been a lot of chatter about Prey: Mooncrash over in the Prey thread, and I've played it a bit. It's pretty neat.

The overall map remains the same across runs, but enemies, loot, obstacles, and the like are all randomized. One "run" is actually five characters¹ -- when one dies or escapes you pick a different one, and when all five are done the whole thing resets and re-randomizes. The ultimate goal is escape with all five characters in a single run.

The twist is that within each run, the moonbase is persistent across characters -- so stuff you loot as one character won't be available to subsequent ones, but by the same token you can (e.g.) unlock doors and repair machines to benefit later characters as well as yourself, or move items around to places that later characters will find advantageous. But don't spend too long doing that, because the longer you play the harder it gets, and there's a hard time limit -- and that too carries over from one character to the next. Letting time run out has the same effect as running out of characters, the whole thing resets.

There's also a metaprogression system, apart from the process of unlocking the characters themselves; neuromod abilities you unlock are persistent across runs, and while items aren't, anything you have a blueprint for can be purchased at the start of the run using points earned on previous runs, as well as being fabricated in-game.

I'd say it's less roguelikey and more puzzley than, say, Immortal Redneck, but you can still see the inspiration there. The other thing it reminds me of is the IF All Things Devours, with the careful coordination across runs to make sure each character has all the items and pathways they need, when they need them -- although here it's multiple characters rather than one character zigzagging back and forth across time.

¹ Once you've unlocked them all.

this just makes me want an I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream-themed roguelike

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Tollymain posted:

battles of norghan is on sale for 5 bucks rn. i think it came up in the thread at some point despite not being super roguelikey? is it worth getting

Not a roguelike. Straight up tournament game, make a team and try to drag em to the top. Melee combat is whiff city by the end of the first tournament. Recommend buying a druid with a good summoning score to start with. Follow it up with a meatshield or two. Magic attacks usually bypass normal defence so a good wizard is the last piece of the puzzle.

I can't really recommend the game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

genericnick posted:

By the way: Opinions on Everspace?

Really loved it. 100%'ed it on a gamepad, didn't really regret any of it. There may be an initial steepness to the learning curve while you figure out the game's various mechanics (not particularly unusual for a Roguelite) but I do feel inclined to tell you that the game has an enormous enemy fleet relentlessly pursuing you as you play. In practical terms, this means that if you spend enough time in a given area, increasingly dangerous enemies will start jumping in to murder you. Think of it like Spelunky's ghost, or a real-time version of FTL's enemy fleet. Eventually you'll be able to use an item that will prevent this from happening, and there are various areas where the fleet will temporarily lose track of you (and honestly, once you adjust to the pace, hopefully you'll find that the enemy fleet timer isn't a huge deal like I did).

The DLC integrates into the base game by adding a new 4th ship (re: "class"), several new NPCs with sidequests, weapons, items, and...wildlife. So if you find yourself enjoying the game, you'll probably want to install it sooner than later. It'll probably go on sale during the Summer Steam Sale next week.

I can confidently say that it's one of the best 6-DoF Roguelites on the market. Whatever that's worth. Not exactly like there are a lot of them.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Really loved it. 100%'ed it on a gamepad, didn't really regret any of it. There may be an initial steepness to the learning curve while you figure out the game's various mechanics (not particularly unusual for a Roguelite) but I do feel inclined to tell you that the game has an enormous enemy fleet relentlessly pursuing you as you play. In practical terms, this means that if you spend enough time in a given area, increasingly dangerous enemies will start jumping in to murder you. Think of it like Spelunky's ghost, or a real-time version of FTL's enemy fleet. Eventually you'll be able to use an item that will prevent this from happening, and there are various areas where the fleet will temporarily lose track of you (and honestly, once you adjust to the pace, hopefully you'll find that the enemy fleet timer isn't a huge deal like I did).

The DLC integrates into the base game by adding a new 4th ship (re: "class"), several new NPCs with sidequests, weapons, items, and...wildlife. So if you find yourself enjoying the game, you'll probably want to install it sooner than later. It'll probably go on sale during the Summer Steam Sale next week.

I can confidently say that it's one of the best 6-DoF Roguelites on the market. Whatever that's worth. Not exactly like there are a lot of them.

Sold. Was on sale on GoG which I prefer over Steam these days.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Slay the Spire is 10bux on https://chrono.gg

You should get it if you like card games at all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I tried it last night. It's fun, I got a win with the berserker guy (forgot the class names) with a Strength build, tried out the other two. Seems pretty neat, but a little shallow. Hoping it being early access(?) means we'll see some features to make it a bit more interesting (and balance the encounters better)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

PMush Perfect posted:

I tried it last night. It's fun, I got a win with the berserker guy (forgot the class names) with a Strength build, tried out the other two. Seems pretty neat, but a little shallow. Hoping it being early access(?) means we'll see some features to make it a bit more interesting (and balance the encounters better)

What part of the encounters do you think need working on? People link together 50+ wins in a row on much harder difficulties than the starting level. Most runs are winnable, I haven't tried the newest character yet though.

Preemptive: don't play spells into the demon guy

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
eh i think its noncontroversial to say that act 2 hallway fights are overtuned

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Slay the Spire is pretty well tuned already. The only imbalanced thing is the final boss can sometimes to a greater or lesser extent completely counter your deck.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Yeah, not knowing which final boss you're gonna get is a big pain. While I think people saying the Time Eater ruins all combo decks is a huge overstatement, there are things like Ironclad Strength builds that just get completely ruined by the Awakened One sometimes, or slow setup-based Silent decks having trouble with the Shapes.

If you knew which final boss you were gonna get it would no joke be a pretty good tell for what you should build your deck like and make the game a tad more consistent.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And yet there are people who streak for days at A15.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
So what's the best way to play Cataclysm DDA? I've vaguely heard of there being forks or something.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DisDisDis posted:

So what's the best way to play Cataclysm DDA? I've vaguely heard of there being forks or something.

Cataclysm DDA is already a fork of the original Cataclysm. :v:

I think there was a goon fork ages and ages ago but it died pretty quickly and I have no idea where to find it. I would just grab 0.C stable from their website and play that. There have been experimental builds since then but they add bullshit like getting scurvy from bad nutrition and morale penalties for dirty clothes and all kinds of other tedious garbage with few actual features to make up for it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Players that streak for days on Ascension 15 in Slay the Spire will pretty much universally tell you that the most consistent strategy is just to pick cards that will give you advantages for the threats you're immediately going to face. So rather than, "is this card specifically ideal for an archetype I'm working for," the question is, "will this card help me beat elites/the boss on this floor." That way you can take more risks, upgrade more cards, secure more relics, and just have a broadly more powerful and balanced deck, rather than trying to lean into an archetype that is fragile unless all the stars align. Then it doesn't really matter what deck you have and you win more often.

It's not a game about building a deck to beat the final boss, it's about beating every fight along the way as well, and soundly.

It's an incredibly consistent and balanced game and by far the way players die is by making either misplays in fights, taking bad routes on floors or adding cards that don't help them immediately. RNG swinging against them to a lethal degree is fairly uncommon.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 14, 2018

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Cataclysm DDA is already a fork of the original Cataclysm. :v:

I think there was a goon fork ages and ages ago but it died pretty quickly and I have no idea where to find it. I would just grab 0.C stable from their website and play that. There have been experimental builds since then but they add bullshit like getting scurvy from bad nutrition and morale penalties for dirty clothes and all kinds of other tedious garbage with few actual features to make up for it.

Both of those are mods now, and with cataclysm you should always grab the experimental. I mean, C's what, two years old now?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/pyrrho12/status/1008647199398375424?s=19

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jazerus posted:

this just makes me want an I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream-themed roguelike

No matter how hard you try to gently caress up and die the computer keeps bringing you back to keep playing?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Jedit posted:

No matter how hard you try to gently caress up and die the computer keeps bringing you back to keep playing?

You win by finally killing yourself so well the computer can't bring you back

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Card Quest chat: finally scrounged together a Wizard build that can use the Book of the Dead & Scrolls of the Damned together effectively and holy moly this is fun. It's a bit like the nerd necromancer equivalent of Flail Berserker. You've got to think ahead and be careful about managing your resources, and you have to get used to letting fights end themselves for soul regeneration instead of blitzing everything on turn 1, but when you've got all your ducks in a row, you can often outright obliterate boss battles in one or two turns with a ridiculous endless tide of revenants and ye olde darke majickes. If a problem can't be solved by throwing more zombies at it, it can be solved by spamming soul armour until nothing can damage you at all and everything kills itself trying to hurt you.

Trying to open the cursed box with that build loving sucks though, ugh.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 19, 2018

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Mithross posted:

You win by finally killing yourself so well the computer can't bring you back

The wizards ghost howls in anger as you dive into the orb of annihilation!!!
Your body is de-materialized into nothing!!!
You have died!
PERMANETLY

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Taxi is a roguelike pinball machine

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Steam Sale.

Which of Card Quest or Slay the Spire is the deck-building Roguelike of goon-choice? I know I've seen people talk about both in here.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

RickVoid posted:

Steam Sale.

Which of Card Quest or Slay the Spire is the deck-building Roguelike of goon-choice? I know I've seen people talk about both in here.

Card quest is not a deck building roguelike, your deck is based on your equipment, which you unlock, but carries between runs.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

bort posted:

Taxi is a roguelike pinball machine

i think "you're a bike messenger in New York City" would be a great premise for a 3D, action roguelike

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i think "you're a bike messenger in New York City" would be a great premise for a 3D, action roguelike

But what would the power curve be? Start out with a fixie, work up to a 18 speed city bike, then an 18 wheeler, then

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Was I reading in this thread about Everspace? It somehow ended up on my wishlist and it looks good, but I'd like to know peoples opinions on it before grabbing it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

habituallyred posted:

Not a roguelike. Straight up tournament game, make a team and try to drag em to the top. Melee combat is whiff city by the end of the first tournament. Recommend buying a druid with a good summoning score to start with. Follow it up with a meatshield or two. Magic attacks usually bypass normal defence so a good wizard is the last piece of the puzzle.

I can't really recommend the game.

I really, really wish it was a good game. :negative:

I still got my fivebux of fun out of it, mind, but it could be so good.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Is Dead Cells worth getting in the Steam Sale? I'm seeing some dissension in the reviews as to whether or not the latest update has killed the fun.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its very good. i just looked, there is literally 1 negative review in the whole group steam just gave me

megane
Jun 20, 2008

RickVoid posted:

Steam Sale.

Both of them are good. I will say that StS feels... a little shallow to me. I've won the Silent twice, for instance, once with shiv spam and once with poison stalling, and I don't really feel like a third run will feel any different, 'cause... that's her two things. The spire itself is veeeery similar from run to run; it's always the same three zones in the same order, and each zone only has a handful of possible fights so you'll probably see the vast majority of them the first time through. Relics help, but most of them don't really alter the way your character fundamentally works -- they're just cool buffs, sometimes in line with what you do and sometimes not.

Still a good game, though, and hopefully it'll expand some going forward. But CQ definitely feels like a much deeper game.

e: Oh yeah, I think one particular problem in StS is that the start is terrible. Everyone starts every run with 12ish cards, and of those 5 are generic Defends (5 block, no other effects) and 5 are generic Strikes (6 damage, no other effects). That means that for a good chunk of the game you are rolling with a super-bland deck; your deck doesn't really get interesting until the end of Zone 1 and there are only 3 zones.

megane fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 22, 2018

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

chiefnewo posted:

Is Dead Cells worth getting in the Steam Sale? I'm seeing some dissension in the reviews as to whether or not the latest update has killed the fun.

Not sure what people dislike about the last update?

I think it’s absolutely worth getting.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
My only complaint is the castle boss is rather overtuned in a similar way that the sewer boss is and it's extremely difficult to avoid taking damage in their respective arenas for different reasons. But that's more because I'm trying challenge runs for the last Dead Cell; the content up to that point is well varied and you eventually get movement/attack down pat that it feels like playing the GBA/DS Castlevanias as a speedrun.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll pick up Dead Cells.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

megane posted:

Both of them are good. I will say that StS feels... a little shallow to me. I've won the Silent twice, for instance, once with shiv spam and once with poison stalling, and I don't really feel like a third run will feel any different, 'cause... that's her two things. The spire itself is veeeery similar from run to run; it's always the same three zones in the same order, and each zone only has a handful of possible fights so you'll probably see the vast majority of them the first time through. Relics help, but most of them don't really alter the way your character fundamentally works -- they're just cool buffs, sometimes in line with what you do and sometimes not.

Still a good game, though, and hopefully it'll expand some going forward. But CQ definitely feels like a much deeper game.

e: Oh yeah, I think one particular problem in StS is that the start is terrible. Everyone starts every run with 12ish cards, and of those 5 are generic Defends (5 block, no other effects) and 5 are generic Strikes (6 damage, no other effects). That means that for a good chunk of the game you are rolling with a super-bland deck; your deck doesn't really get interesting until the end of Zone 1 and there are only 3 zones.

this slow start thing is actually much harsher in card quest. basically both games are good both games are hard until you figure out how stuff works. silent is kinda easy to win with and a good character to start with. as you get used to the game you can play ironclad or defect whom are both very fun in different ways all 3 characters have at least 3 different playstyles that come together as you pick cards or skip cards (early on you wont which is fine all my early wins are like 50+ card decks)

card quest when you start out you have to understand you're supposed to try all of the areas with all of the characters and get used to how to use your equipment. success will net you better equipment which may make one area easier because of the stuff you got. both games are worthy purchases.

StS Kinda quick and fin most games taking from 30-60 minutes based on how good your run goes.
CQ is a long haul game where you wont be sniffing a real victory for some time...but when you do.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Sage Grimm posted:

My only complaint is the castle boss is rather overtuned in a similar way that the sewer boss is and it's extremely difficult to avoid taking damage in their respective arenas for different reasons. But that's more because I'm trying challenge runs for the last Dead Cell; the content up to that point is well varied and you eventually get movement/attack down pat that it feels like playing the GBA/DS Castlevanias as a speedrun.

You mean when you're doing 3 cell runs? I.e. once you've completed the game on normal, hard, and very hard, right?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yes, well into the end-game with most of it unlocked. The purchase was well worth it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Don't think there are any city maps, but descenders is close. It's a downhill mountain bike game with random levels and whatnot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XidvnRG-w6w