Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

malbogio posted:

Plan Salad Fork

We’ll be good on gold as soon as we finish this job and I don’t want to start breaking contracts this early.

I’ve been thinking some more about making an HR department and I’m convinced it should be staffed my manatee chimeras.

Maybe use seal chimeras for recon as they’re adorable and small, just need to figure out what sort of bioweapons to give them.

Get a whale chimera for ship breaking and a flock of seagull chimeras for dropping greek fire on our enemies from above the range of their weapons.

We should probably come up with a recruitment spiel too, better to have our enemies surrender for mass conversion on the promise of power and adventure than to slaughter half of them. Better for morale too if we can convince our minions that we’re the good guys. We’ve got enough mana now to start converting minions in bulk.

Sounds like we need to go back to our initial start-a-cult plan from the isle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Alternately we could breed giant jellyfish for the seagull chimeras to drop, exploding on impact and covering the enemy deck, ship controls, and crew on deck in paralyzing or fatal venom, depending on whether we just want the ship or have time to convert the crew too.

Most opponents should be unable to engage with a seagull chimera flying at its maximum altitude allowing for some one sided battles.

Doesn’t matter how outnumbered we are if our opponents can’t hit us or defend against us, so long as we have ammo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I bet our beavers would be great at sinking ships. We can swim why would we needs ships anyway. Gnaw through the hulls and round up the drowning survivors.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Depending on what happens with this font we may have other priorities to deal with than boats.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Outrail posted:

I bet our beavers would be great at sinking ships. We can swim why would we needs ships anyway. Gnaw through the hulls and round up the drowning survivors.
That was part of revised plan Splicer

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Ships are expensive. We can sell them. Cargos of textiles, spices, art, etc. would be destroyed by sinking the ships. Plus it’s better for recruiting if we minimize civilian casualties. High quality recruits like Irwin will be happier and maybe we can convince the next hero that we’re the lesser evil and convince them to defect.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Changing vote to Tuning Fork

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Let's make a pointy boi for ourselves

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Loel posted:

Changing vote to Tuna Fork

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Well, we can't hold it, and I'd agree that we need to stay on contract, so let's make ourselves a little something.

As much as the trident plan is good, we're not great in tentacle-to-hand combat, and we would really be better off not making something an opponent can take and stick us with. I propose instead with go with Plan Fancy Hat.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Plan Pokey Stick

Just having it will add a certain je ne sais quoi to every else we do.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Plan Shrimp Fork sounds great. Minimal risk, immediate reward, and we get to stick with what we're good at without turning into public enemy #1.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Didn't Darkseid jump into one of these at some point?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So plan Tuna Fork is a go.

What magical power shall we try and imbue this with?

We'll try to get as many in as possible - I'll make a "magic check" for each one, the more we try, the less likley it is to succeed, but we may get lucky!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Transmutation. We use our magic for raising up structures and merging humans with the local fauna. Why not have a tool to help with that?

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Weather Control (Storms, Lightning, Fog)
Growth/Shrink Ray
Flesh Fusion Ray
Lifelike Illusion

Or if we're going with D&D School specializations: Transmutation, Illusion, and Evocation.

How do the magic rolls work?
Like if we wanted five powers would you roll on all of them with a target number higher than if we just wanted one, or is this a deal where each successive roll is higher than the last?
Does a failed roll mean we don't get that individual power, or we don't get that power plus we stop rolling, or that the whole fork is trashed?

malbogio fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 21, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Switching to Trident

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Magical Recall that is -our- pointy stick, and we would be a poor villain if we did not make it return to us just when the hero thinks they can stab us with it.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

malbogio posted:

Plan Salad Fork

We’ll be good on gold as soon as we finish this job and I don’t want to start breaking contracts this early.

I’ve been thinking some more about making an HR department and I’m convinced it should be staffed my manatee chimeras.

Maybe use seal chimeras for recon as they’re adorable and small, just need to figure out what sort of bioweapons to give them.

Get a whale chimera for ship breaking and a flock of seagull chimeras for dropping greek fire on our enemies from above the range of their weapons.

We should probably come up with a recruitment spiel too, better to have our enemies surrender for mass conversion on the promise of power and adventure than to slaughter half of them. Better for morale too if we can convince our minions that we’re the good guys. We’ve got enough mana now to start converting minions in bulk.

Seal hybrids, or Selkies? Shape shifters bound to the sea with a human form who can go on land, blend in, and spy. None of our other minions can even pass for human at the moment.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Monster Making +1 and ideally being able to poke/zap an enemy combatant and turn them into a rampaging sea beast.

Liquid Communism posted:

Magical Recall that is -our- pointy stick, and we would be a poor villain if we did not make it return to us just when the hero thinks they can stab us with it.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Something to help with Construction and something to shoot bees at people. Aquatic themed, though, so they're like, sea bees.
...totally needs a synergy bonus.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Teleport Without Fail, usable on self or others. To several preset locations and LoS.

Buff Aura, so that we are within LoS or a certain distance of our minions, they get situation appropriate boni.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Don't forget the always classic Lightning Bolt for zapping people who annoy us.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Couple of ideas:

Red Tide- Control of blood. Draw blood from opponents and create weapons from it. If we're wounded form a shield from our own. Even make the chimerizing of prisoners easier. A versatile and thematic power for Sarga.

Mana Maw- We've been lucky to face physical threats. Being able to devour enchantments and siphon spells would give us an edge vs magical opponents who could otherwise overcome our defenses.

Portal Maker- We've got a lot of minions to move. Being able to set up temporary gateways is a potent logistical advantage.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Relentless posted:

Don't forget the always classic Lightning Bolt for zapping people who annoy us.

Did uh, you ever play Quake when you were younger?

Have it keyed to us, so we always know where it is, and can recall it at will. Then give it a bunch of transmutation powers. Zapping opponents into news or just their brains into newts. Also uplifting animals into semi humans instead of the other way round.

Need a boat? Zapp a whale into a twisted sea chariot. Need a dress? Zap a manta ray into a twisted dress. Need a shark? Zap a dolfin into a twisted shark.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 21, 2018

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Generally being a "+1" staff to better focus our magic rolls and mana tank. (or +3 if these fonts are really that powerful)

Dominate Will: get us some willing subjects for better labbing.

Typhoon: a powerful stream of water shoots from the trident (same as fire or lightning, but functions underwater). We need something combat focused.

Transmutation: Generic turn thing into other thing.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

Something to help with Construction and something to shoot bees at people. Aquatic themed, though, so they're like, sea bees.
...totally needs a synergy bonus.

Dog sharks with sea bees in their mouth that shoot sea bees when they bark.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Trident power ideas:

Hydromancy - Kinetically levitates masses of water, steam, and ice and shapes its properties to our will and desires. Basic Water element aspect.

Electro-Binding Rings - For magically capturing those who would defy us in binding rings of electrical force. Intermediate Lightning element aspect.

Transmutation Ray - For magically transforming those we've captured into whatever forms that please us. Chaotic magic aspects.

Geomancy - For magically raising, shaking, and leveling the earth, flattening buildings, forming rough structures, and causing tsunamis. Advanced Earth element aspect.

Return - For magically returning the Trident to our grasp with nothing more than a magical thought. Orderly magic aspects.

Note: Trident has powers over three elements: water, earth, and electricity.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A water themed trident covered with waves and fish and other ocean decorations that does nothing but blast fire and call down flamestrikes and cook people alive would be the ultimate troll item.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Life and mana drain

Dominate will

Transmutation

Return

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

bonus points for Hydromancy being that organic life is mostly composed of water :getin:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I feel like Return should be "free" - we are making this item and it knows it, but comes down to how magic works in-universe.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Hexenritter posted:

bonus points for Hydromancy being that organic life is mostly composed of water :getin:

At that point everything is horror.

Earth: your dissolved salts crystallize and bones shatter
Air: explosive decompression/compression
Fire: enzyme activity shuts down/boiling blood
Transmutation: red blood cells turn into worms
Necromancy: red blood cells turn to adorable zombie cells on death
Etc etc

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Outrail posted:

At that point everything is horror.

Earth: your dissolved salts crystallize and bones shatter
Air: explosive decompression/compression
Fire: enzyme activity shuts down/boiling blood
Transmutation: red blood cells turn into worms
Necromancy: red blood cells turn to adorable zombie cells on death
Etc etc

So what you're saying is we need to focus down elementalism and cell-level spellcasting

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Hexenritter posted:

So what you're saying is we need to focus down elementalism and cell-level spellcasting

Mutual assured destruction would be a heck of an end-state for this game.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

dont be mean to me posted:

Mutual assured destruction would be a heck of an end-state for this game.

Sounds like a heck of a end game goal. I assume we're all on board.

Grey goo, biomass absorbing rolling ameobic monstrosity or good old fashioned plague?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Outrail posted:

Sounds like a heck of a end game goal. I assume we're all on board.

Grey goo, biomass absorbing rolling ameobic monstrosity or good old fashioned plague?

Por que no los tres?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Unlimited POWER!

This was a good thing, and it was a bad thing. She couldn’t hold the Manafont, and she sure as hells was not going to be giving it up to anyone - that left one option, trying to forge a magic item!

Powerful magic items were rare - while there was normally enough mana floating around to forge a sword of slightly better hitting, anything more than that needed large amounts. There were of course some spontaneous items - even a non-magical sword, if used long enough by a mighty hero, could attain some magic properties.
Other turned to blood magic, sacrificing huge numbers of living things (or one to two larger ones) to create an item.
The last option was a Manafont - it would drain it, and was the least efficient way of using this rare occurrence, but it would create a powerful staff. It would tax Sarga though, as she would be channeling a huge amount of power, and at some point she would lose control and the excess mana would burn off.

With the island raised, Sraga sets the Beavers to work on the fittings she could not do by magic - doors, windows and the like. She was not worried about furnishings, but she needed to make the place secure - she has to at least look like she was going to hold the place.

Preparations for the magic item begin. She orders a fine trident from the Isle, she also has her minions at the Sapphire Isle send her the latest crate of sapphires. She then began to work the two together, the Sapphires would become the staffs powersource, as well as making it very valuable, and not to say rather fashionable.
She finds a large room in the new castle above the Manafont and marks the walls, cleaning and floor with magical glyphs.

The next step was the hardest. She orders that she is not to be disturbed, then she begins to cast her spell.

The first thing she adds is the easiest, a link to herself. If she was ever separated from the item, she would be able to will it back. As she begins the spell though, the blast of power hits her full force, and she nearly loses herself, she has to concentrate and move on to the next power she wants to add, this time she goes big, Hydromancy.

The power to control water would be massive, and she is able to force her will into the trident, the sapphires begin to take on an unearthly glow as she works, and she can see it is working. This tackles some time, but she finally locks the power into place and moves onto the next thing on her list.
She pushes all of her knowledge of creature creation into the staff, as of now she has needed a lab and time to create a minion, with the staff she will be able to chance someone instantly - she will still need the mana for it, but the effects will be quicker. This is harder, the sheer amount of power is beginning to overwhelm her now, and she sees the walls of the room she is using begin to glow as she loses control of the stream of power.
As a last effort, she channels this uncontrolled power into the staff, imbuing it with the power to shoot lightning. She holds it out in front of her with one of her tentacles as the power surges through everything in the room.

Then she loses control. She watches as her tentacle wraps firmly around the staff, all the way up the shaft. She then looks on in horror as it begins to change to the same silver as the staff! Thinking quickly she grabs a ceremonial dagger and begins to hack off her own limb, it take three blows and the pain is agonising, but she manages to free it before the metal spreads up to her body. Blue blood gushes over the floor as she backs off from the staff that is now levitating in the middle of the room on an arc of power. The roof is blown off and a bolt of light is shot into the sky., everything is purple and green and blue for a few seconds and she blacks out.

When she comes around, she is in another room in the castle. Seaglass has bound her wound and is looking at her with a worried expression.
”Mistress? Are you okay?” She asks. ”There are ships approaching from the east, they bare the signal of the other kingdom.”
Sarga felt different, power coursed through her body, but there felt like something was missing. Then she realized what had happened. She had become one with her new trident. Inadvertently, she had created a phylactery. The Staff was now part of her, and she was part of the staff. This was a strength and a weakness, and she would have to think about how this affected her.
For now though, there were things to be done.
She struggles to her tentacles, nearly going over until her mind compensates for the part of her that is no longer there, then she reaches out her arm. Suddenly there is a mighty Trident in her hand, crackling with power. She smiles.
”I’ve never felt better.”

Well, that was a couple of interesting rolls! We failed the first and last ones with 95+ rolls on a D100, hence the slight side effect. We have a larger mana pool now, and it’s going to be a lot harder to die permanently. That said, we do now have a external weakness.

1 - What shall we name this new item?

2 - How shall we deal with the approaching ships?

quote:

Mana = 450/450 1 Large Manawell 300/1000
Gold = 9,000

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.
Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.
5 Beaverpeople. (lead by Holta.)

At the Sapphire Isle
Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
2 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
4 Crabbersons.
Mining rate - 250 gold a week. (0 crates on hand)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I'm not great at names, so I'll leave that to someone else, but we, should use our new trident to Raise a Tsunami to send iff the approaching ships - it's a good show of force, and if we're lucky we can dash some boats on the reefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
1 - Stimorol

2 - Speak Softly

Use magics to greet the ships, advise you will be charging a toll to pass through your strait in return for services rendered. If they ask what services, say "getting rid of all the whirlpools". If someone is suicidal enough to say "what whirlpools" well you get the idea.