Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/CartridgeGames/status/1009956711397052416

We enacted gay marriage too early according to him.

We opened the blood gates before the time was at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Because it's definitely just about constantly trying to one-up, not normalize these things. :ughh:

It definitely feels like one-upmanship. And I dunno how lying about these things helps normalise them especially if you're going to be like "OMG THIS IS THE FIRST TIME EVER" when it's not even the first time in an AC game...like, I could play as either a male or female character in a story-driven game 20 freaking years ago when Tenchu came out. People do pick up on these things and rightly chastise Ubisoft for claiming brownie points that they haven't earned. Like, whoopee, you finally figured out how to model hair.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yardbomb posted:

Because it's definitely just about constantly trying to one-up, not normalize these things. :ughh:

Origins already did and it was better for it, the assmans and templeboys are the worst part of every AC story.

Origins was great and odyssey looks amazing. also Yahtzee hates everything, its his stick. he hates most of the games i love so i dont really pay attention to him anymore.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/CartridgeGames/status/1009956711397052416

yeah, that nails it. he is basically a moron super centrist who thinks everyone will hold hands if everything happens slooooooow and steady.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

Origins already did and it was better for it, the assmans and templeboys are the worst part of every AC story.

the entire basis of the series is stupid. i remember my brother was playing the original in the same room as me back when it came out and it cut to some sci-fi poo poo and i go what the hell is that and he explains the actual premise. i thought it was just some historical game (which would've been much cooler).

Viewtiful Jew posted:

interracial marriage was made legal in 1967.

a majority of americans did not support interracial marriage until 1997.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

the entire basis of the series is stupid. i remember my brother was playing the original in the same room as me back when it came out and it cut to some sci-fi poo poo and i go what the hell is that and he explains the actual premise. i thought it was just some historical game (which would've been much cooler).

interracial marriage was made legal in 1967.

a majority of americans did not support interracial marriage until 1997.

same but i am used to it now and kinda enjoy it.

Kim Justice posted:

It definitely feels like one-upmanship. And I dunno how lying about these things helps normalise them especially if you're going to be like "OMG THIS IS THE FIRST TIME EVER" when it's not even the first time in an AC game...like, I could play as either a male or female character in a story-driven game 20 freaking years ago when Tenchu came out. People do pick up on these things and rightly chastise Ubisoft for claiming brownie points that they haven't earned. Like, whoopee, you finally figured out how to model hair.

yeah, but they do it better then EA. Plus Ubisoft basically stole Biowares crown since they are trying to build destiny: Xenogears edition and blew the brains out of mass effect.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

His entire thing is "this thing makes people uncomfortable so we have to do incremental change until people are comfortable then we can do the right thing." So gay marriage, treating trans folk as human beings, UHC, social and economic equality. Just need to do incremental change. Some of those "people" dying along the way? It's fine, so long as in the end normal people act like human beings towards folks who are different then we can all get along and everyone will be happy!

I mean, look at the Native Americans and African Americans! Since the first settlers arrived upon these shores they have been waiting for those very things we take for granted and most people can stand to look them in the eyes when they talk to them! Progress! This a very good thing. The logical, sane middle has triumphed again!

His priorities are bad and I swear, that clown is just looking for an excuse to be go full MAGA chud.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

khwarezm posted:

I'd legit probably find the show kind of interesting if they dug deep into the most obscure nerd ephemera, shows like the Venture Bros tend to do that and it's interesting to see since it implies that that is the kind of stuff that's generally on the creators mind and conjures a different image from some overworked sitcom writer hack who's written basically the same episode for thirty years trying to remember what nerds are meant to like.

My all time award for deep nerd poo poo goes to an episode of Elementary that did a pretty good job of explaining P versus NP in complexity theory, including the implications for cryptography if they're equal. They had it going right up to the end where they use the most elusive secret in computer theory to somehow hack a security camera to cover for some lovers quarrel murder, but points for going the distance on a pretty geeky concept. This is literally the only episode I've seen of that show and I'm afraid it'd all be downhill from there.

For related deep nerd poo poo, the magical MacGuffin in Sneakers was basically a P=NP solver.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jimbot posted:

His entire thing is "this thing makes people uncomfortable so we have to do incremental change until people are comfortable then we can do the right thing." So gay marriage, treating trans folk as human beings, UHC, social and economic equality. Just need to do incremental change. Some of those "people" dying along the way? It's fine, so long as in the end normal people act like human beings towards folks who are different then we can all get along and everyone will be happy!

I mean, look at the Native Americans and African Americans! Since the first settlers arrived upon these shores they have been waiting for those very things we take for granted and most people can stand to look them in the eyes when they talk to them! Progress! This a very good thing. The logical, sane middle has triumphed again!

His priorities are bad and I swear, that clown is just looking for an excuse to be go full MAGA chud.

ehh. If he were a chud type, he would have become one after his tiff with anita. I think he is just an extremely stupid and isolated/privileged centrist.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same but i am used to it now and kinda enjoy it.

Wait, are you talking about Assassin's Creed or interracial marriage?

quote:

yeah, but they do it better then EA. Plus Ubisoft basically stole Biowares crown since they are trying to build destiny: Xenogears edition and blew the brains out of mass effect.

Poor Bioware. If I was them I'd keep on making excuses for Anthem to not go gold, because you just know that someone from EA with a gun is coming to put them out of their misery the second it gets released.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

approval of gay marriage is currently around 62 percent.

it took thirty years after its legalization for interracial marriage to reach that level of approval (at the time it was legalized, <20 percent of americans approved).

boogie is a very very dumb man.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Eh, to be honest Syndicate felt like Jacob was supposed to be the protagonist while his sister was added on as a secondary*. Pretty sure the game forces at least a 60/40 split in terms of main quests and much of the last few missions Evie just had to awkwardly walk around in one of those ridiculous dresses. So I don't think they're being completely dishonest there, just being overly technical to get credit.

Edit: which was pretty funny since Evie had the most characterisation and fun missions.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 22, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Wait, are you talking about Assassin's Creed or interracial marriage?

Poor Bioware. If I was them I'd keep on making excuses for Anthem to not go gold, because you just know that someone from EA with a gun is coming to put them out of their misery the second it gets released.

assassins creed. i am not as broken as boogie. on your other point. I hope its good, i love bioware, even if most of the talent left. i'll probably get anthem at some point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

Eh, to be honest Syndicate felt like Jacob was supposed to be the protagonist while his sister was added on as a secondary*. Pretty sure the game forces at least a 60/40 split in terms of main quests and much of the last few missions Evie just had to awkwardly walk around in one of those ridiculous dresses. So I don't think they're being completely dishonest there, just being overly technical to get credit.

Edit: which was pretty funny since Evie had the most characterisation and fun missions.

I liked syndicate but the main story was kinda flat. Jacobs arc is sorta optional and evie is just kinda brought up and then resolved with carriage ride. her dlc was pretty cool though.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I have a sympathy and understanding of Boogie's pretty simple politics, being here in England. It's perhaps based in a certain cynicism in that government is so poo poo and incapable of doing anything at all that in the end it takes years upon years to do anything at all, and when it eventually gets done it's a damp squib of what it was supposed to be. Such is the way of things here...like, even when it comes to that oh so great tectonic shift that was Brexit, now forever sputtering in endless bills and retractions and readmissions and negotiations and everyone I know's frankly sick of the whole bloody thing at this point. The party on the far right, UKIP, who instigated it and helped bring it about, imploded shortly thereafter, leaving a hard right that's somewhat rudderless at the moment (Did you guys know that Sargon tried to join them recently? Here's the kicker: THEY DIDN'T ACCEPT HIM BECAUSE HE WAS LITERALLY TOO RACIST FOR THEM) A week is a long time in politics, but a year is a short time in government - that sort of thing.

There's a realism to this point of view, although it gets misapplied happily and obviously not being American I can't really comment on how it applies over there. It also ignores or underplays the potential power of people actually talking about things...the detainment camps is a good example. It's a popular centre-right/cynical point to say "Well, it's always been poo poo/It was poo poo under Obama" (delete based on how far right leaning you are)...and yes, this is of course true - it's not a new problem per se. I well remember that time when Jennicet Guiterrez got laughed, booed and chucked out of a room for bringing up immigration in front of Obama. But that push, that emotional element means that now people are talking about it a hell of a lot more, which is important no matter how you slice it.

tl;dr - Boogie has a view that he perhaps thinks is nuanced, but is actually very simple and while in some ways it might be accurate for a logical perspective, that's not the only perspective you can or should look at these things from.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
At the very least, Boogie's heart is in the right place, if not his brain.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

I have a sympathy and understanding of Boogie's pretty simple politics, being here in England. It's perhaps based in a certain cynicism in that government is so poo poo and incapable of doing anything at all that in the end it takes years upon years to do anything at all, and when it eventually gets done it's a damp squib of what it was supposed to be. Such is the way of things here...like, even when it comes to that oh so great tectonic shift that was Brexit, now forever sputtering in endless bills and retractions and readmissions and negotiations and everyone I know's frankly sick of the whole bloody thing at this point. The party on the far right, UKIP, who instigated it and helped bring it about, imploded shortly thereafter, leaving a hard right that's somewhat rudderless at the moment (Did you guys know that Sargon tried to join them recently? Here's the kicker: THEY DIDN'T ACCEPT HIM BECAUSE HE WAS LITERALLY TOO RACIST FOR THEM) A week is a long time in politics, but a year is a short time in government - that sort of thing.

There's a realism to this point of view, although it gets misapplied happily and obviously not being American I can't really comment on how it applies over there. It also ignores or underplays the potential power of people actually talking about things...the detainment camps is a good example. It's a popular centre-right/cynical point to say "Well, it's always been poo poo/It was poo poo under Obama" (delete based on how far right leaning you are)...and yes, this is of course true - it's not a new problem per se. I well remember that time when Jennicet Guiterrez got laughed, booed and chucked out of a room for bringing up immigration in front of Obama. But that push, that emotional element means that now people are talking about it a hell of a lot more, which is important no matter how you slice it.

tl;dr - Boogie has a view that he perhaps thinks is nuanced, but is actually very simple and while in some ways it might be accurate for a logical perspective, that's not the only perspective you can or should look at these things from.

yeah. boogie has the idealistic but childish view of wanting everyone to be happy and centrism is best.

on your political points. yeah the right is like a dog chasing a car, it never really expects to catch it, the right won(for a ton of diffrent reasons) and now they have no real purpose because the modern hard right thrives off conflict and other poo poo so they it turns into a brainless shitshow. like it is over there and here in the US. but the "good" thing is the rights horribleness has brought to life problems that they have made worse and now people want to fix them. like immigration.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

yeah. i dont think he is a bad person. just really isolated and ignorrent. he isnt moviebob or sargon who are just authoriterian types who cover their poo poo with pretty words. he is just simple loving jack and honestly i somewhat envy him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Is Yahtzee just waiting for his contract with the Escapist to finish or something? He's basically the only thing left at the site and I can't work out why he stays or how they're still in business.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

cool and good. her stuff has honestly gotten a ton better season 2 onward. it was just alot better written and had good points. the old ones could be weirdly moralizing at times and some of the points were kind eh. glad she went leftward.

Ok honest question. Is Anita's stuff more entertaining if you understand the basics of feminism? Because it was that and the moralizing that made me burn out on her videos.

Also it's so deeply ironic that a man was responsible for the worst qualities of her videos.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Is Yahtzee just waiting for his contract with the Escapist to finish or something? He's basically the only thing left at the site and I can't work out why he stays or how they're still in business.

The Escapist still exists? How?

OmanyteJackson fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 22, 2018

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

OmanyteJackson posted:

I'm pretty sure they got by for a while by literally not paying anyone but Yahtzee.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OmanyteJackson posted:

Ok honest question. Is Anita's stuff more entertaining if you understand the basics of feminism? Because it was that and the moralizing that made me burn out on her videos.

Also it's so deeply ironic that a man was responsible for the worst qualities of her videos.

yeah, i just found her boring and kinda sex negative and nitpicky, most of that stuff went away in the second season but idk, her style isnt my thing. it feels very "for a school auditorium educations show" type feel. I think alot of progressive messages and lessons can be taught better, again lindsey ellis and others do it in a funny non confrontational way. your not a bad person for liking something with problematic stuff lets just have fun and explore it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 22, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

OmanyteJackson posted:

...mob money? Honestly gently caress knows.

The early FemFreq videos were way, way, WAY too dry. Too dry for YouTube. Sure, it's fine from a purely academic perspective but that doesn't necessarily work on YouTube - they had zero entertainment value. They had a dry and somewhat hectoring (and very moralising) tone about them - like, it's all very well saying "It's possible to still enjoy games while criticising their more pernicious aspects" but the actual content didn't even slightly reflect that statement. And frankly, the way the videos talked about sex and female bodies often deeply rubbed me the wrong way - on that front they seemed to take a very sex negative, almost conservative tone.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I'm pretty sure they got by for a while by literally not paying anyone but Yahtzee.

this. yahtzee is ok, he writes articles the accompany his videos that tend to be pretty good as are his books. the biggest issues is he is a hippster grognard.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Max Wilco posted:

I feel like this doesn't pan out anymore about people playing into this garbage. They're locking kids in literal cages, sticking them in tent cities when it's getting to be in the 90's, pretty much letting ICE molest them as they please, while neo-nazis are holding regular demonstrations about "degeneracy" (THE QUEERS AND WOMEN!) and "immigration" (THE NON-WHITES!) on the low end of the totem pole while the higher-ups are constantly trying to take away protections and rights from minorities and the poor, if not actively trying to force their own harmful legislation at the same time. You have to be a vegetable or on their side to some level to not see this, idealism isn't "Everyone can come around!" anymore, that's hollow feel-good pandering, much less his cowardly "Both sides have blame!" poo poo is pretty much doing the right's legwork for them, I'm not saying he's some deep-cover nazi but goddamn if he's not painting over the events for them.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. yahtzee is ok, he writes articles the accompany his videos that tend to be pretty good as are his books. the biggest issues is he is a hippster grognard.

Is there anyone who writes about games that isn't?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

...mob money? Honestly gently caress knows.

The early FemFreq videos were way, way, WAY too dry. Too dry for YouTube. Sure, it's fine from a purely academic perspective but that doesn't necessarily work on YouTube - they had zero entertainment value. They had a dry and somewhat hectoring (and very moralising) tone about them - like, it's all very well saying "It's possible to still enjoy games while criticising their more pernicious aspects" but the actual content didn't even slightly reflect that statement. And frankly, the way the videos talked about sex and female bodies often deeply rubbed me the wrong way - on that front they seemed to take a very sex negative, almost conservative tone.

well, thats macintosh for you. the one nitpic that bothered me wasnt the hitman one all the fucktards gurgle about. it was when she mentioned the bioshock games and how the female splicer were erotic and the bordello in 2 was designed to titillated the player. Like seriously? they are loving splicers, they looks like hell, plus the bordello(hell all of rapture in 2 and 1) is depressing as gently caress. people like jon ignore context because sex is bad or something. i sometimes dude probably gelded himself.

here is picture of the titillating splicer women.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 22, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

I feel like this doesn't pan out anymore about people playing into this garbage. They're locking kids in literal cages, sticking them in tent cities when it's getting to be in the 90's, pretty much letting ICE molest them as they please, while neo-nazis are holding regular demonstrations about "degeneracy" (THE QUEERS AND WOMEN!) and "immigration" (THE NON-WHITES!) on the low end of the totem pole while the higher-ups are constantly trying to take away protections and rights from minorities and the poor, if not actively trying to force their own harmful legislation at the same time. You have to be a vegetable or on their side to some level to not see this, idealism isn't "Everyone can come around!" anymore, that's hollow feel-good pandering, much less his cowardly "Both sides have blame!" poo poo is pretty much doing the right's legwork for them, I'm not saying he's some deep-cover nazi but goddamn if he's not painting over the events for them.

some people are dumb as gently caress. Boogie is basicaly Candide.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

hawt

OmanyteJackson posted:

no

*Certainly ultra hipster to cover old UK micro games, that's too cool for school*

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OmanyteJackson posted:

I have thought about writing about games, I just graduated and have nothing better to do. I could write about how modern warfare series takes place in a world where Aleksandr Dugin ideas took off and created a civil war and a take over and how a radical duginnist set the world on fire and the party used a massacre for a big dumb war with the help of some dumb fucks. i mean gently caress. game theory gurgles about russian orthadoxy idiology in a game about a neighbor who looks like a rapist chasing a manchild around a house and 20 videos on a FNAFs so i could do that poo poo. that or a podcast.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 22, 2018

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I have thought about writing about games, I just graduated and have nothing better to do. I could write about how modern warfare series takes place in a world where Aleksandr Dugin ideas took off and created a civil war and a take over and how a radical duginnist set the world on fire and the party used a massacre for a big dumb war with the help of some dumb fucks. i mean gently caress. game theory gurgles about russian orthadoxy idiology in a game about a neighbor who looks like a rapist chasing a manchild around a house and 20 videos on a FNAFs so i could do that poo poo. that or a podcast.

so... no

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lol, sorry. it depends on the game writer and what you consider a grognard.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's Boogie so maybe he's just so stupid he confused Anita and Antifa, he'd still be wrong and dumb but at least that'd be less out of left field.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Yardbomb posted:

I don't agree. People have harped on the Real World Plot in AC forever but I think the generational conflict across all of history and all nations along with the mystery of it's origins and all the other metaplot stuff was the glue that held the series together until 3. I honestly don't think the game would have succeeded nearly as much without that framing device and the things that went with it, like the Animus itself and Vidic and the Subject 16 subplot. Up until Revelations it only got better with every game. Brotherhood was the series peak, revelations was a plateau, and 3 is when everything went to crap. IMO people remember the Templar/Assassin conspiracy scifi plot from the earlier games more harshly just because AC3's direction on that content was both incredibly terrible all the way through and had a completely garbage finale for the entire thing on top of it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Origins was really good because 'this mysterious order that doesn't understand the power they crave' is 100000% more interesting antagonists than generic "I WILL BRING ORDER AT THE POINT OF A SWORD BY TURNING THE WORLD TO SLAVES" poo poo the Templars are. Like, almost every member of the conspiracy had at least their own motives to join it that ranged from 'I'm just a prick, sorry bro' to 'I'm an ambitious person in a dying empire of greatness, I want to build monuments like our ancestors did' and tons of other stuff. It's literally the only AC game I remember any of the non main bad guys from.

I loved Syndicate but if you held a gun to my head I couldn't tell you anyone on the Templar's sides names, motives, or defining features other than lady mc wannabe noble.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

I don't agree. People have harped on the Real World Plot in AC forever but I think the generational conflict across all of history and all nations along with the mystery of it's origins and all the other metaplot stuff was the glue that held the series together until 3. I honestly don't think the game would have succeeded nearly as much without that framing device and the things that went with it, like the Animus itself and Vidic and the Subject 16 subplot. Up until Revelations it only got better with every game. Brotherhood was the series peak, revelations was a plateau, and 3 is when everything went to crap. IMO people remember the Templar/Assassin conspiracy scifi plot from the earlier games more harshly just because AC3's direction on that content was both incredibly terrible all the way through and had a completely garbage finale for the entire thing on top of it.

the modern stuff is interesting, it just doesnt go anywhere. that being said i like the idea of two secret societies fighting each other since the beginning and changing positions over which one is dominant.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Origins was really good because 'this mysterious order that doesn't understand the power they crave' is 100000% more interesting antagonists than generic "I WILL BRING ORDER AT THE POINT OF A SWORD BY TURNING THE WORLD TO SLAVES" poo poo the Templars are. Like, almost every member of the conspiracy had at least their own motives to join it that ranged from 'I'm just a prick, sorry bro' to 'I'm an ambitious person in a dying empire of greatness, I want to build monuments like our ancestors did' and tons of other stuff. It's literally the only AC game I remember any of the non main bad guys from.

I loved Syndicate but if you held a gun to my head I couldn't tell you anyone on the Templar's sides names, motives, or defining features other than lady mc wannabe noble.

I liked haythem alot, hell i kinda of agreed with him. syndicates main villain was fun but he was basically just a robber barron super capitalist who had some good moments. it definatly feels like filler game.

that being said. i loved this mission/target death in syndicate. because the dude in real life was a giant rear end in a top hat who got famous for loving up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbLQSZUEoY4

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 22, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I liked haythem alot, hell i kinda of agreed with him. syndicates main villain was fun but he was basically just a robber barron super capitalist who had some good moments. it definatly feels like filler game.

yea it's kinda a no brainer that during that time your bad guy "ORDER AT ALL COST" faction member would be one of the many hyper capitalist scumbags around, and he wasn't bad or anything, it was just basically a Dickens novel that you got to have a switchblade in half way through. Which, hey, not bad, like I said I love the game, but boy is it not memorable.

Aside from Jacob Frye, my sweet garbage angel son who was perfect.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

sexpig by night posted:

I would argue you are describing exactly what the Templars were in 1 through Brotherhood. Especially 1. The mystery of why the Templars all appear to be pretty good dudes with noble motives as you observe things in defiance of what you're being told about them is pretty key to all the assassination targets, and their dying words really cast the entire conflict into question for the player even if it doesn't for Altair. The non-Borgia villains in the Ezio games were pretty unmemorable though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea it's kinda a no brainer that during that time your bad guy "ORDER AT ALL COST" faction member would be one of the many hyper capitalist scumbags around, and he wasn't bad or anything, it was just basically a Dickens novel that you got to have a switchblade in half way through. Which, hey, not bad, like I said I love the game, but boy is it not memorable.

Aside from Jacob Frye, my sweet garbage angel son who was perfect.

he was a good but stupid boi. I liked syndicate because i love the gilded/victorian age. if they had made that game as deep as origins, id have been in heaven. evie was cool too but she felt kinda flawless outside the "maybe i can gently caress this dude and fall in love" arc.

Sanguinia posted:

I would argue you are describing exactly what the Templars were in 1 through Brotherhood. Especially 1. The mystery of why the Templars all appear to be pretty good dudes with noble motives as you observe things in defiance of what you're being told about them is pretty key to all the assassination targets, and their dying words really cast the entire conflict into question for the player even if it doesn't for Altair. The non-Borgia villains in the Ezio games were pretty unmemorable though.

4 and unity had bad villains. 3 was good baddy wise as was brotherhood and 2. origins as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he was a good but stupid boi. I liked syndicate because i love the gilded/victorian age. if they had made that game as deep as origins, id have been in heaven. evie was cool too but she felt kinda flawless outside the "maybe i can gently caress this dude and fall in love" arc.

4 and unity had bad villains. 3 was good baddy wise as was brotherhood and 2. origins as well.

yea, Victorian assassins was probably the best period to put them in (though I'll stan for Unity having the best, most wasted, potential) but it was just way too shallow and yea Evie was neat but the contrast of 'beautiful idiot gang boy Jacob' and 'basically just well read with no real glaring flaws Evie' made me never want to play her stuff.